Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Gotta say, the ATK R12 and Crest 10 look pretty dope. If you're down on the others, those gotta be tops.

How do they differ again? Besides DIN (10 vs 12)?

Crest has the elastic response system - 8mm spring loaded heel combined with 4mm gap.

I'm not sure about the R12/FR14.

[edit]
    The R12/FR14 also have the elastic response system (https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodo.../r12-white-en/). They also have some sort of anti-icing configuration in the toe. It's unclear whether the toe is a monolink (like the Crest) or not.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-18-2019 at 12:02 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I've been thinking of carrying a light set of leashes (for sketchy transitions) with skis that I normally run with brakes.

Tired an fumbly at the top, with a transition where brakes don't do much good, and the weather is crappy - a combination that sets me up for a stupid moment.

The sketchy nature of clicking into my Vipec Blacks got me to thinking about this last year.

Maybe it's just simpler to ditch the brakes on these skis and go with leashes on all of my skis ... or, as you said, go with the belts and braces approach.

... Thom
    Belts and braces approach? Did I miss this in this thread somewhere? What is this?

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    Belts and braces approach? Did I miss this in this thread somewhere? What is this?
    It's British slang, meaning redundancy. Braces are suspenders. Belts are, well ... belts.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-21-2019 at 10:20 PM.
    Galibier Design

Looking at a good deal for ATK Crest but it’s got 75 mm brakes. My ski is 96mm, just wondering if anybody with ATk can give me an idea of actual vs stated brake width and how delicate they might be/ how much room I have to play. Normal alpine I would have little trouble bending the shit out of them but with lightweight touring stuff I thought I’d ask. 21mm is quite a bit of bending.

ETA: yay! 200 posts! What, another 1800 and I might lose a bit of my JONGness?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Looking at a good deal for ATK Crest but it’s got 75 mm brakes. My ski is 96mm, just wondering if anybody with ATk can give me an idea of actual vs stated brake width and how delicate they might be/ how much room I have to play. Normal alpine I would have little trouble bending the shit out of them but with lightweight touring stuff I thought I’d ask. 21mm is quite a bit of bending.

ETA: yay! 200 posts! What, another 1800 and I might lose a bit of my JONGness?
    Unlike the others, ATK brakes sizes are pretty spot on. BUT, ATK brakes are also thin, so I guess you can bend them easily. I've successfully bent G3 Ion 85mm brakes for 115mm ski and they worked ok. Anyway, due to how thin ATK brakes are, they won't stop your ski on a slope.

Crest has the elastic response system - 8mm spring loaded heel combined with 4mm gap.

I'm not sure about the R12/FR14.

[edit]
    The R12/FR14 also have the elastic response system (https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodo.../r12-white-en/). They also have some sort of anti-icing configuration in the toe. It's unclear whether the toe is a monolink (like the Crest) or not.

... Thom
    Toe is not monolink. No springs in toe, it works very similarly to the Revolution race binding. I have seen those race bindings in use for 4 years or so, work great. https://www.atkbindings.com/wp-conte...ght-blue-3.png

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    Unlike the others, ATK brakes sizes are pretty spot on. BUT, ATK brakes are also thin, so I guess you can bend them easily. I've successfully bent G3 Ion 85mm brakes for 115mm ski and they worked ok. Anyway, due to how thin ATK brakes are, they won't stop your ski on a slope.
    You can replace those brakes with a different size: https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodo...ear-ski-brake/

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I designed some 3D printed stomp blocks a couple years ago, but have since sold the setup. I was skiing a lot on the volcanoes then, and the block also served as a low riser for long sloggy slopes. I put inserts in the ski for easy block removal.

I noticed a more solid feel, even with the Speed Turn heel, which is of course designed to take pins-only forces. The boot just touched the block when clicked in. Probably made the lateral release less safe... shrug. They are probably minimally useful except for the hard-chargers. I liked them enough to run them all the time.
    This is why I'm perplexed by the dynafit... That big freaking gap

I have 1 day on the backland/mtn I've been impressed by the binding for a while, it's so light and simple and basically all metal leading to great durability. My number 1 favorite thing about it though is the way the brakes lock out. The fiddling with brakes on dynafit/G3 etc is just silly. I've had problems getting them back into ski mode after a long tour as well. With the sollys no twisting the tower, no nothing, just flip a lever and you are good to go.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

FINALLY got my ATK Crests from Snowinn, ordered as a backup from a Sportsprofi order that got lost in the mail. They look fantastic, but the brakes leave something to be desired. I thought Dynafit brakes were worthless, but these are like trying to stop your ski with short toothpicks.

Name:  94Ijdbb.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  60.0 KB

One thing I've wondered about both the Crests and the R12s/ FR14s is whether you can remove the brakes and ski without them - without compromising the design in any way. Can you determine this with your Crests?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-09-2020 at 01:43 AM.
    Galibier Design

Anyone ever used an ATK "freeride spacer" on non-ATK bindings?

https://www.haganskimountaineering.c...r-core-binding

Considering tossing em on with Alpinists ... for increased freeride spacing.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

For the sake of clarity, those are the old style freeride spacer. The new one is more U shaped overall and wider, but must be mounted underneath the binding on the ski.
    link here:https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/at...pacer-r12-fr14

That being said, the old one is probably more likely to be compatible with other bindings, which is definitely an interesting idea. I'm not sure on the height of the old style spacer, but if it fits with other non-atk bindings I imagine the support it provides in conjunction with its sliding AFD would be a big improvement.

EDIT:
    looked into this to find specs.

ATK's website says it will work with any binding provided the gap between boot sole and topsheet is between 14.5mm and 20mm.

source: https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodo...sories/al05-2/

seems like a pretty great mod for all tech heels it'll work with
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

One thing I've wondered about both the Crests and the R12s/ FR14s is whether you can remove the brakes and ski without them - without compromising the design in any way. Can you determine this with your Crests?

... Thom
    I just took them off a pair of unmounted core 10(crest) and they came off easy. Save 46g and the binding is fully functional with them off

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    Toe is not monolink. No springs in toe, it works very similarly to the Revolution race binding. I have seen those race bindings in use for 4 years or so, work great. https://www.atkbindings.com/wp-conte...ght-blue-3.png
    Well that's interesting. No springs. What makes it work? Geometry? Dig around ATK website but didn't see anything.

Yet I have (old) freeride spacers with a speed radical. Improves the binding significantly. No issues

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Yet I have (old) freeride spacers with a speed radical. Improves the binding significantly. No issues
    Sweet - thanks, Smooth! Assuming release is not affected, I *think* the main downside would be a flat tour mode that's not quite as flat.

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    For the sake of clarity, those are the old style freeride spacer. The new one is more U shaped overall and wider, but must be mounted underneath the binding on the ski.
    link here:https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/at...pacer-r12-fr14

That being said, the old one is probably more likely to be compatible with other bindings, which is definitely an interesting idea. I'm not sure on the height of the old style spacer, but if it fits with other non-atk bindings I imagine the support it provides in conjunction with its sliding AFD would be a big improvement.

EDIT:
    looked into this to find specs.

ATK's website says it will work with any binding provided the gap between boot sole and topsheet is between 14.5mm and 20mm.

source: https://www.atkbindings.com/en/prodo...sories/al05-2/

seems like a pretty great mod for all tech heels it'll work with
    Great beta! - thanks.
    sproing!

Anyone know if atk, particularity r12 or fr14 can take dynafit crampons?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    They can

Yeah same design for the crampons
    ig

Looking at sticking them on with some Alpinists too. I wonder though if the boot clearance is enough to be over the 14mm. Alpinist has really low ramp at 2mm so low boot heel. I’ll check some measurements later.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    They can
    Cheers both!

Looking at sticking them on with some Alpinists too. I wonder though if the boot clearance is enough to be over the 14mm. Alpinist has really low ramp at 2mm so low boot heel. I’ll check some measurements later.
    My buddy has a pair of alpinists so let me know how that works out for you, I'm sure he'd like to use a freeride spacer as well.
    ig

My buddy has a pair of alpinists so let me know how that works out for you, I'm sure he'd like to use a freeride spacer as well.
    x2. I would like to try this as well.

I think it will work. At least for my boot (zero g) the gap is 16mm. Ordered some.