Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 400
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,899
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    In the fall I picked up the UltraVector BC 177 with Atomic Backland Carbon and Dynafit Speed Turn.

    It's insane how light the whole setup is compared to my 186 EHPs with Vertical FT12 (with brakes and toe shim) and Lange FT 130s, or compared to my 186 Renegades with Shifts and Lange FT 130s.
    I did get the BC version... it's amazing what it will go up with no skins. I climbed Keystone without skins (sticking to the greens). It has more drag in packed dry snow than I was anticipating, but the ability to give it a kick definitely means it is at worst equal to the non BC base... and you get the bonus mobility to go up. Crest performs without adding any weight while the Alien makes you think you have no boots on during the ascent... little upright though.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I did get the BC version... it's amazing what it will go up with no skins. I climbed Keystone without skins (sticking to the greens). It has more drag in packed dry snow than I was anticipating, but the ability to give it a kick definitely means it is at worst equal to the non BC base... and you get the bonus mobility to go up. Crest performs without adding any weight while the Alien makes you think you have no boots on during the ascent... little upright though.
    It IS amazing what you can go up on the Voile BC base. Not carrying skins drops significant weight too. Definitely some buzz and ski wandering on hardpack, but that's not really what I bought that setup for... spring corn might be a bit funky on them, I'll have to wait and see this spring.

    The Backland Carbon boot is pretty light, take the tongue out and it feels like a stiff backpacking/mountaineering boot, you could practically walk around town in them. Definitely stiff enough to drive the UV BCs, and they're undergunned but certainly manageable when driving my EHPs.
    Last edited by reckless toboggan; 02-15-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Breckenridge
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    So what is the real difference between the two toes? I can tell from the website that the SL Evo WC toe is lighter and more expensive, but not much more than that since the description for both is the same and they both use "monolink 1.0 technology"
    Real difference is one is lighter than the other through removal of material. No difference in function, the heavier may be more robust, and it is definitely cheaper. I ski both toes, don't feel any concern skiing the light toes, other than they cost significantly more

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,428
    Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    Real difference is one is lighter than the other through removal of material. No difference in function, the heavier may be more robust, and it is definitely cheaper. I ski both toes, don't feel any concern skiing the light toes, other than they cost significantly more
    Big shoutout for the photos of the ATK RT heelpiece disassembly you linked to in the thread: "Ultralight bindings: Independent heel Pins vs U Springs (Alpinist vs Haute Route)" - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...BZSVhPN0NUSTZn

    Thanks! What beautiful machining!

    @Summit/@timmaio - I saw in that thread that you (@Summit) were going back and forth between the Crest 280 and the Haute Route 2.0 (along with the Alpinist). Was it a coin toss in the end that tilted you from the Haute Route toward the Crest? The 4mm of spring travel on the Crest heel? The integrated brakes?

    I've been having some private conversations about the ATK line and one thing that came up is the release catch (button) on the Crest's brakes. I realize you've only had them out for a few days, but do you have any thoughts on how the brakes stay locked, behave in conditions when some binders are prone to icing, etc?

    Lastly, can the bindings be skied with the brakes removed? I'm starting to lean toward the Haute Route 2.0s since the application is a Spring ski and leashes are OK for me in this application.

    Thanks!
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-21-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,899
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    @Summit/@timmaio - I saw in that thread that you (@Summit) were going back and forth between the Crest 280 and the Haute Route 2.0 (along with the Alpinist). Was it a coin toss in the end that tilted you from the Haute Route toward the Crest? The 4mm of spring travel on the Crest heel? The integrated brakes?

    I've been having some private conversations about the ATK line and one thing that came up is the release catch (button) on the Crest's brakes. I realize you've only had them out for a few days, but do you have any thoughts on how the brakes stay locked, behave in conditions when some binders are prone to icing, etc?

    Lastly, can the bindings be skied with the brakes removed? I'm starting to lean toward the Haute Route 2.0s since the application is a Spring ski and leashes are OK for me in this application.

    Thanks!
    Thom
    Vs the HR2.0 it seemed like the Crest would have better transfer/durability with the brake underfoot (and had the brake), and it had the 4mm of spring travel. It also had more length adjustment.

    The Crest can be skied with brakes removed (I haven't). I haven't been in icing conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,428
    Thanks. So the brake assy. on the Crest serves the stomp pad function that's available on the Freeraider? That's a potential plus. I got thes hawt lookin' Praxis EXPs from @grinch, and they're looking longingly at me ... wanting to be mounted ;-)

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    17,899
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Thanks. So the brake assy. on the Crest serves the stomp pad function that's available on the Freeraider? That's a potential plus. I got thes hawt lookin' Praxis EXPs from @grinch, and they're looking longingly at me ... wanting to be mounted ;-)

    ... Thom
    Yes but unlike the add-it-on-stomp-pad which is height adjustable to boot contact, the brake pads do not quite sit in contact with my Alien RS heel tread when the ski is decambered to flat... but I think it does with more decambering found in normal pow skiing or carving which should improve energy transfer (and prevents boot heel explosion and pin shearing that some of us remember from the old Dynafit Comforts). It is also worth noting that I went with the very soft ultralight skis with patterned bases skis (Voile Hyper V6 BC 178) so I have above average toe-heel distance change with decambering for which I wanted the 4+4mm over just a 4mm gap on a HR2.0 in order to prevent release.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,428
    Thanks! I'm now back to leaning toward the Crest, although it seems like a "no lose" proposition either way.

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    It IS amazing what you can go up on the Voile BC base. Not carrying skins drops significant weight too. Definitely some buzz and ski wandering on hardpack, but that's not really what I bought that setup for... spring corn might be a bit funky on them, I'll have to wait and see this spring.

    The Backland Carbon boot is pretty light, take the tongue out and it feels like a stiff backpacking/mountaineering boot, you could practically walk around town in them. Definitely stiff enough to drive the UV BCs, and they're undergunned but certainly manageable when driving my EHPs.
    When I had some Charger BCs I thought they were the best in spring corn. Noticed them about as much there as I did in deep pow. It was variable stuff and styrofoam that I felt like I noticed the most. YMMV of course.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    5,147
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Thanks! I'm now back to leaning toward the Crest, although it seems like a "no lose" proposition either way.
    No lose fer sure, but without the bsl adjustment, the HR 2.0 saves you 115g per binding = 0.5 lbs per pair. Not a ton, but certainly not negligible either if you're going light with skis and boots.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Breckenridge
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    No lose fer sure, but without the bsl adjustment, the HR 2.0 saves you 115g per binding = 0.5 lbs per pair. Not a ton, but certainly not negligible either if you're going light with skis and boots.
    I'm looking forward to a brake plate without adjustment track at about 50gm per in the future, then I think it will be holy grail for light touring with tough but not 'don't fall' skiing.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    5,147
    Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    I'm looking forward to a brake plate without adjustment track at about 50gm per in the future, then I think it will be holy grail for light touring with tough but not 'don't fall' skiing.
    Why wouldn't you want to ski YFYD terrain on the HR 2.0 or Crest?

    BTW, do you work with/for the US-based Hagan Ski Mountaineering in Breck?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Yes but unlike the add-it-on-stomp-pad which is height adjustable to boot contact, the brake pads do not quite sit in contact with my Alien RS heel tread when the ski is decambered to flat... but I think it does with more decambering found in normal pow skiing or carving which should improve energy transfer (and prevents boot heel explosion and pin shearing that some of us remember from the old Dynafit Comforts). It is also worth noting that I went with the very soft ultralight skis with patterned bases skis (Voile Hyper V6 BC 178) so I have above average toe-heel distance change with decambering for which I wanted the 4+4mm over just a 4mm gap on a HR2.0 in order to prevent release.
    I'm about to pull the trigger on some Crests for all the positive qualities discussed in this thread (wish they went to 12 RV, but 10 will be fine), but I was wondering about the brake pad/heel contact. Do you think you could add a little material if your boot doesn't contact? I feel like stomp pads/brake pads with good contact make a huge difference in the skiing feel on pin binders

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Breckenridge
    Posts
    588
    When skiing YFYD terrain I am happy to ski on a race binding or currently Helio 180 with a locked toe and no leashes. For non YFYD I want brakes rather than leashes and I don't want to pay the weight penalty for the Crest. I have been skiing the RT on my 'resort'/powder ski with leashes, but when they have released(when I wanted them to) it was not so pleasant with the ski swinging around and hitting me.

    I know Mike moderately well and my wife is currently sponsored by them, other than that I have no connection. Why do you ask?

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,428
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    No lose fer sure, but without the bsl adjustment, the HR 2.0 saves you 115g per binding = 0.5 lbs per pair. Not a ton, but certainly not negligible either if you're going light with skis and boots.
    Yeah, I'd keep the BSL adjustment (for 40g/pr.) if I go with HRs, 'coz these skis already have two sets of SSL 2.0 holes in them, and I don't know what boots I'll end up with next year.

    So now, we're down to 75g/binding difference. If one wanted to further make an apples to apples comparison, I'm guessing that the net tradeoff of replacing brakes for a light (27g) Kevalar leash would net another 30g, so a net difference of maybe 40 g/binding?

    I guess I'll toss a coin ;-)

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    18,967
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    No lose fer sure, but without the bsl adjustment, the HR 2.0 saves you 115g per binding = 0.5 lbs per pair. Not a ton, but certainly not negligible either if you're going light with skis and boots.
    what are you gona do if you need to change boots or something?

    I remember an or something where buddy had the super light race binding with them scarpa boots which used the funny (funny shitty) walk lever attached to the top buckle or SFT

    when scarpa recalled all the boots

    he was fucked eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    what are you gona do if you need to change boots or something?
    remount the heel with plates

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    18,967
    won't the extra elevation give you a nose bleed ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    5,147
    I go through skis quicker than boots. But yeah, I'd be concerned if I was buying a new pair of boots that I wasn't positive would work out. Or like mall walker says, remount with an adjustment plate.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    won't the extra elevation give you a nose bleed ?
    Id hit the gym to shave the extra weight so as to compensate for the additional weight...

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    1,689
    Skied my alpinist today inbounds with my regular resort boots (switched soles) on some helio 105s. Very impressed. Hoping the heel lifters wonts annoy the fuck out of me and Ill be all good until they explode and I die.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    18,967
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I’d hit the gym to shave the extra weight so as to compensate for the additional weight...
    you could just shave your legs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,428
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I go through skis quicker than boots. But yeah, I'd be concerned if I was buying a new pair of boots that I wasn't positive would work out. Or like mall walker says, remount with an adjustment plate.
    Or just mount with the adjustment plate and don't have to remount? It's 40 grams.

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    11,430
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Skied my alpinist today inbounds with my regular resort boots (switched soles) on some helio 105’s. Very impressed. Hoping the heel lifters wonts annoy the fuck out of me and I’ll be all good until they explode and I die.
    yah as much as it pains me to say I've been skiing the Alpinist 12 inbounds doing some groomer laps while waiting for alpine lifts to open so I can tour out and they're solid af. I mean it's just groomers but they feel connected and not old-skool Dynafiddle vague

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    yah as much as it pains me to say I've been skiing the Alpinist 12 inbounds doing some groomer laps while waiting for alpine lifts to open so I can tour out and they're solid af. I mean it's just groomers but they feel connected and not old-skool Dynafiddle vague
    Lee, can you compare the feeling of the Alpinists to something like the Crests, Raiders or RT 2.0s? The Alpinists look great in so many ways but they are Markers, they haven't been out very long and they do have a u-spring, which are all factors that make me a little nervous. I have read the Blister review and some of the Wildsnow posts, but curious to get a little more info. Seen a few Alpinists in the parking lot but haven't talked to anyone who's skiing them (yet.)

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •