Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I like the B&D ones — comfort plates + volcanos. Much easier to rotate. Direct replacement for the silver ones. My wife has them on her skis. Haven’t tried the new black ones, tho.

https://skimo.co/bnd-binding-parts
    I've done the same to my speed turns.

I used to only use speed turns and comforts, but I have to say I'm thoroughly happy with the Salomon MTN's I picked up last year and they are an improvement to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Nice rig. Sorry for the thread drift, but what bindings are those? Trying to source a manual as a friend just sent me a pair.
    https://www.wildsnow.com/bindings/dy...ch-skiing-faq/

this ^^ should answer all yer questions but there isnt really much to know, the big aluminium screw sets lateral release, the little screw sets vertical release and you need to set heel gap

I set my lateral at about the same value as my DIN on alpine bindings, I set the vertical 1 higher than the lateral (or i step out on dips and G outs) I use the dynafit guage for the gap or I think its 3 American nickels between heel and binding

Some people broke the plastic towers on the Verts, I think they were trying to lever as oposed to rotating the heel piece but otherwise the design was bomber so I still have a couple pair of Verticals I plan to stick with (and a RAD1 that I don't trust), leashes ARE annoying and I went back to brakes on all 3 setups

IME you can really freak the guide out when you thro your ski down at the top of an exposed steep if he is not familiar with that 6' long B&D leash
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-06-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'm also a previous toe-shimmed speed turn 2.0 regular user. A tried and true setup. Arguably the best $$-to-weight-to-reliability on the market until recently. Or maybe still.

The last few years I've gone mainly to a non-shimmed speed rad toe and kreuzspitze sctt heels w/14mm adjustment plates. And then the Solly MTN/Atomic Backland came into my life.

While I still have the dyna/kreuz mashup for their simple, bomber, lightweight, and low ramp properties, the MTN has impressed me tremendously. Race binding functionality (flipper over heel fork) with a flat mode and a second riser, all while having a toe that *most* can tour uphill with unlocked. All at ~290g or less. Not to mention that the plastic heel base is not needed and drops a few grams as well as about 1.5-2mm of ramp. It also has a wider mount pattern than the Speed Rad/Turn, which in theory allows for a stronger mount with greater power transfer from binding to ski (please correct me if my understanding of physics is misguided here). If I were to start from scratch today, I think that the MTN/Backland could easily be on everything but a race-like ski for me. While I do not have long term use with the MTN like I do with the aforementioned clamps, I can say that my initial impressions are very good.

Anyway, I think this was a longwinded way of saying that quality, LW ski touring binding options are becoming most abundant. Praise Jah.

Is there a better source for screws for these bindings than Skimo Co?

Is there a better source for screws for these bindings than Skimo Co?
    I wouldn't call them better, but Binding Freedom and Slidewright might get you there. Options for pozidrive screws suitable for binding mounting are seriously limited in the world.

The 300g Touring Binding Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Forward travel (which is spring loaded) should theoretically supply some damping in its course of supporting expected release characteristics. You could call it elastic travel in ski flex but you'd rightly say that is a slight abuse of the term, but it does communicate the message. As I have not A-Bd underboot support for power transfer on the same binding model, I suspect you have not A-Bd the Ion with a binding that was identical except that it relied solely on a pin gap instead of forward travel? Sam Shaheen credited the forward travel of the Marker Alpinist to dampness in his Blister gear review.
    FWIW, I spent some time talking to Sam and Luke about this over the weekend. That was their initial conjecture, but after spending more time on the bindings and after getting a decent amount of time on the Zeds, they decided to remove that phrasing because they no longer believe that forward travel (or active length compensation) is correlated at all with the ‘smoothness’ they experienced with the Marker Alpinist. For example, they felt the Zed, which has this feature was harsher than the TLT Speed which doesn’t have it.

Also, as an aside, by ‘power transfer’ in the reviews, they were speaking about vagueness in the heel and precision felt through the toe. So... different from what I was describing. We’ll be adding that to our glossary and linking to it in our reviews to clarify.

And they further reiterated that the downhill performance of all of these bindings are very very very close, and that people should really be focusing on the other factors of binding selection instead. Its hard enough to discern the differences even with back to back runs with the same ski.

Thanks for the discussion!

ATK Crest vs Salomon MTN? Same price

Been looking closely at ATK Crest. What do you guys think of only 2 toe springs? Even the lightest race bindings have 4. Otherwise, it looks awesome, but kinda confused with this toe

Nice to see some competition in this category. Thinking/hoping the Euro market will keep manufacturers spending on design.

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    Been looking closely at ATK Crest. What do you guys think of only 2 toe springs? Even the lightest race bindings have 4. Otherwise, it looks awesome, but kinda confused with this toe
    That's an interesting toe design - two springs on one side. I'd like to hear more about this.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

My feeling with the Crest is that although a cool company and nice design, it's a new design, and combined with the heel brake a pretty big departure for ATK. I waited for th next generation Raider, and was very pleasantly surprised when they changed/addressed about 10 different things.

I like ATK a lot, but again, as has been pointed out by many people many, many, times:

Don't buy an AT binding in its first year of release or in its first generation design. Let someone else beta test it for you/them.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I love the look of the crest. If BD starts to import them I will buy 2 pairs likely.

The 300g Touring Binding Thread

Looks like we have our beta tester!

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Looks like we have our beta tester!
    For me it seems like ATK is really conservative (in a good way) when bringing out new products. All their new bindings is a mix of their old RnDs with slight tweaks. So it's not like an untested product built from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    For me it seems like ATK is really conservative (in a good way) when bringing out new products. All their new bindings is a mix of their old RnDs with slight tweaks. So it's not like an untested product built from scratch.
    Nonetheless. (I like the company a lot and we have 2 pairs of Raider 2's.)

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Nonetheless. (I like the company a lot and we have 2 pairs of Raider 2's.)
    yeah. I love everything the Plum Oazo is about, but not this year. there are so many good already-proven tech bindings, why risk it?

Group question, I skied radical FT's years ago without issue. In the years since I've been on Radical 2.0 and for the last few years Kingpin's / Shifts.

I have a set of Renegades I'm looking to lighten up as a Hut trip setup for longer trips where I'm still wanting to get some good turns. I've had Kingpin's on there for a few years that I just sold because they started to seem like a liability in remote areas.

Thinking of putting Salomon MTN's on to replace them. Likely usage being long powder seeking days but still skiing down aggressively. Wanting to go light for days with 5-7k of vert. 6'2" 165 lbs. Any concerns with the MTN's holding up under that usage? I have some other skis with shifts for shorter days.

I was feeling comfortable about it but just borrowed a setup with Speed Radicals and immediately had the toe release in a situation I didn't feel like it should have. So now i'm a little spooked and thinking of going with Tecton's instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Group question, I skied radical FT's years ago without issue. In the years since I've been on Radical 2.0 and for the last few years Kingpin's / Shifts.

I have a set of Renegades I'm looking to lighten up as a Hut trip setup for longer trips where I'm still wanting to get some good turns. I've had Kingpin's on there for a few years that I just sold because they started to seem like a liability in remote areas.

Thinking of putting Salomon MTN's on to replace them. Likely usage being long powder seeking days but still skiing down aggressively. Wanting to go light for days with 5-7k of vert. 6'2" 165 lbs. Any concerns with the MTN's holding up under that usage? I have some other skis with shifts for shorter days.

I was feeling comfortable about it but just borrowed a setup with Speed Radicals and immediately had the toe release in a situation I didn't feel like it should have. So now i'm a little spooked and thinking of going with Tecton's instead.
    The mtn is bomber

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Sorry for the thread drift but can the speed turn heels rotate in both directions? Anything I need to know about going from ski to tour and from tour to ski?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sorry for the thread drift but can the speed turn heels rotate in both directions? Anything I need to know about going from ski to tour and from tour to ski?

Yes the can. Pretty simple switch between tour to ski since you can rotate with your pole. The newest iteration of the riser is the easiest to operate with a pole (well, since they dropped the volcano.)

With the volcano, do you just rotate or do you need to lift before turning?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ive got round 200 days on a atk freeraider 14
    its all metal witch is always more bomber than plastic shit
    and if i want to turn my din up or down in a quantitive number a simple turn of a tool gets it done
    we sell some alpinists in addition to looking and the ski tour mode being cheesey flim flam as fuck
    we need to call the marker rep for the jig
    because marker incompetence has them all on back order
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Crest seems bomber to me so far
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

You have a pair? I forget

Ramp angle?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?