Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1249
    Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    What are people's thoughts on Trab toe and Haute Route heel for a wider pow setup (120+)? Is the heel mounting pattern too narrow and I should upsize to the Raider heel or is it all gravy? I'm only 5'8, 150 so thinking the HR heel should be enough.
    @cydwhit is running this and i think he likes it. If you don’t need the release above 10,i don’t see why not. I think the delta is very flat though

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What are people's thoughts on Trab toe and Haute Route heel for a wider pow setup (120+)? Is the heel mounting pattern too narrow and I should upsize to the Raider heel or is it all gravy? I'm only 5'8, 150 so thinking the HR heel should be enough.
    You can also get slightly wider mount pattern heel plates from trab that will fit the HR

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Got it, thanks.

I went through Cy's posts, and the setup looks great. Only thing is I want to put in a spacer (homemade or ATK universal) but don't want another hole in the ski... I won't have this issue with Raiders or another heel I guess.

May go another direction with my powder setup but want to see if I'm able to sell my Trab toes first (Titan Vario 2, black/silver). Any interest for a pair of lightly used ones (skied 3 times)? Would $150 shipped be fair?

May go another direction with my powder setup but want to see if I'm able to sell my Trab toes first (Titan Vario 2, black/silver). Any interest for a pair of lightly used ones (skied 3 times)? Would $150 shipped be fair?
    Dibs pm sent

Sold to CaliBrit!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Dibs pm sent

Shit great deal

Am into getting back to more serious touring/mountaineering again and looking into a new lightweight tech binding for a light ski. After reading thru some stuff here and elsewhere I have narrowed it down to 2 bindings which seem plenty proven, least controversial with no major weakness and not much compromising features:

- Marker Alpinist 12
    - Salomon MTN Pure

A bonus on the Marker seems the flat ramp angle, not sure how much that is on the MTN. Any pros and cons from experienced users on the one or the other before puling the trigger?

Thanks a bunch folks for your actual insight.
    Last edited by Hicks; 03-28-2023 at 09:23 AM.

The disadvantage of the alpinist is that the risers do not go high enough for steep skinning.
    The mtn is great, and you will never pre release, the toe springs are very strong

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Am into getting back to more serious touring/mountaineering again and looking into a new lightweight tech binding for a light ski. After reading thru some stuff here and elsewhere I have narrowed it down to 2 bindings which seem plenty proven, least controversial with no major weakness and not much compromising features:

- Marker Alpinist 12
    - Salomin MTN Pure

A bonus on the Marker seems the flat ramp angle, not sure how much that is on the MTN. Any pros and cons from experienced users on the one or the other before puling the trigger?

Thanks a bunch folks for your actual insight.
    Two things that turned me off Markers:
    1. Too flat ramp, I consistently found myself on my heels and couldn't drive the skis the way I used to. Again, many folks prefer this delta.
    2. Limited risers height. This one is quite individual and you might feel ok on longer and not so steep trails.

Went with ATK FR14 and I doubt that will ever want to use anything else.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Both are good. I found the marker to ski better, more damp, and liked having adjustability of the lateral release. As my preferred RV was between the salomon expert and men’s springs. You can also get the marker for cheaper. The main downside is if you can’t get along with a lower riser height. If you want brakes the marker ones have much worse stopping power that the salomon. While I was skeptical of the durability of the markers plastic bits, I have one pair I’ve absolutely abused in the BC, no lifts, and are still going strong.

The Salomon’s have a good flat mode if you go brake less. The clamp force of the toes is strong and I felt like it inspired more confidence in sketchy firm skinning. The functionality of the heel risers is better that the markers but the binding was a little more harsh feeling on bumpy firm snow.

I’ve had to tighten the screws on the heel towers for both after a fair amount of use but that was easy enough to do on a workbench and only a mild pain to do in the field provided you have the correct screwdriver. Moderate advantage to the maker binding in the ease of doing this.

The Alpinist will ski better and will probably be safer because of the gapless heel and composite toe, but the various plastic parts in the heel are known to break occasionally. The MTN is proven but I don't think it provides any value over a skimo race binding besides offering an additional riser and an option for a very robust brake.

The 300g Touring Binding Thread

Atk Kular LT for $230 from TP.

The MTN tower will wobble and the risers with move when you don’t want to

The marker alpinist flap and tower will move while skinning and eventually leave you in flat mode or clicking into your pins while trying to skin

Thanks for the quick feedback guys, much appreciated. To explain the binding will be slapped on a fairly skinny ski for mountaineering and (multi day) hut trips involving less aggro skiing, for winter day touring I got a beefier setup already.

- Heel riser: that could indeed become an issue if too limited (especially with a heavier backpack)
    - Brake: a good one could be useful in case I eat shit in remote back country on not so flat slopes
    - Skiing performance: if the MTN just feels a tad harsher I think I could live with that given moderate speeds

- Release: how safe or reliable is the MTN here compared to the Alpinist? I know both don't really compare to a Tectron or a frame binding, but my bones are old now...

Thanks again, also for eventually adding another suitable one to the list I might have overlooked.

Edit: just noticed Kevino's post.

Ill 2nd the kular. Light, ez to flip the heel around for changeovers, light, skis well with the 4mm gap and added spring for heel elasticity. Good deal at alpinstore for these little elegant beauties. Durability remains to be seen but theyre working well. I added a diy 5mm toe riser

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

I have about 60 days on the Trab Vario 2. They ski way better than I thought they would. The heels are starting to develop a bit of vertical slack between the turret and adjustment track. I did not hold back skiing them. Hero snow pillow drops, re-frozen steeps, exit trail jibbing. I did ski a few hard resort days with them. I know, stupid, but it was on an unplanned trip. Does anyone else have the same slack? Would the ATK spacer would be a good addition?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    I have about 60 days on the Trab Vario 2. They ski way better than I thought they would. The heels are starting to develop a bit of vertical slack between the turret and adjustment track. I did not hold back skiing them. Hero snow pillow drops, re-frozen steeps, exit trail jibbing. I did ski a few hard resort days with them. I know, stupid, but it was on an unplanned trip. Does anyone else have the same slack? Would the ATK spacer would be a good addition?
    The spacer might help, but you might need new heels if there’s a wiggle

The play could potentially be from the heel track rather than the turret itself, which would be a simple replacement.

The play is between turret plate and track. The track seems to be flush with the ski, no volcanoes or anything like that. Is everyone else's heel tight?

I was always a bit wary of the plastic track on light bindings. CNCd aluminum track would be cool. If not stronger at least it can be anodized for that extra lift line steeze.

Curious if anyone has gotten their hands on the new Salomon Summit 12.

Is it replacing the MTN or just another addition to the lineup?

Was planning on getting the MTNs to use over the spring/summer.

Quote Originally Posted by tupp_ View Post

It's just another addition. It's on a Salomon 106 Echo for a review. Performs as well as the MTN therefore It's good

That's good to hear, in the case I get the OG MTN! Interesting from a product perspective, given they are in the same weight category.

Any reason to wait for the Summit that you have heard/seen? Going brakeless w/ an ATK spacer.

That's good to hear, in the case I get the OG MTN! Interesting from a product perspective, given they are in the same weight category.

Any reason to wait for the Summit that you have heard/seen? Going brakeless w/ an ATK spacer.
    I'd say only if you need the 50mm bsl adjustment vs 30mm. Otherwise it's a tie.

Did they make the ramp flat?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Did they make the ramp flat?
    Edit. No they didn’t.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?