Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    I think the normal Dynafit 5 hole toe template will work for your Trab toes. I mounted a set of TR Race adjustable and I think I remember just free handing the rear binding after toes were mounted because I couldn't find a template.

ATK template works alright, toes line up and the heel width matches

https://skimo.co/tech-binding-hole-patterns

Ski Trab Vario Adj. / Vario.2 30 x 27 45.5 x 37.5
    ATK Crest / Kuluar 30 x 27 45/25 x 60

Close, but I will probably make my own template.

I messaged skitrab five days ago with some questions. Nothing. Italians in July? I hope this is not the way it goes with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    https://skimo.co/tech-binding-hole-patterns

Ski Trab Vario Adj. / Vario.2 30 x 27 45.5 x 37.5
    ATK Crest / Kuluar 30 x 27 45/25 x 60

Close, but I will probably make my own template.

I messaged skitrab five days ago with some questions. Nothing. Italians in July? I hope this is not the way it goes with them.
    Doesn't Italy take the month of August off? They might think it's August already ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

not a lot happens in france either except for a fete in every small town

and i think it is fucking hot
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Questions about the new Dynafit superlite 150+ ..is the only difference with this year's model the addition of a brake and an adjustable mounting plate? Have improvements been made to the durability of the toe piece? The wider mount pattern was addressed last year, is that right, so are people still going to be swapping out the new Superlite toes for Radical toes?

Going to be building up a lighter weight mid-fat setup this year. Zero G 105 with the Zero G peak carbon boot and the Superlite 150+. All in, will be about 830g lighter per side than my current Zero G 108 setup with pro tour boots and Tectons.

Quote Originally Posted by Solesides View Post
    Questions about the new Dynafit superlite 150+ ..is the only difference with this year's model the addition of a brake and an adjustable mounting plate? Have improvements been made to the durability of the toe piece? The wider mount pattern was addressed last year, is that right, so are people still going to be swapping out the new Superlite toes for Radical toes?
    Is this what you're looking at? https://www.dynafit.com/en-us/superl...IaAph8EALw_wcB

It looks like they haven't made any changes for this year. I haven't skied them but it looks like the tiny toe mounting pattern remains unchanged and the toe lever is still plastic which gives me pause. I had a friend break a Superlite 150 toe piece last year, I know that's just one data point but I have never skied with anyone else who has broken a toe piece in the backcountry before.

With the heel plate and brake the weight is pushing 300g per binding. In that weight class you will probably be better served by the Trab Vario.2 with brake (best touring brake on the market IMO) or something like the Crest or Kuluar from ATK, both of which provide heel elasticity and much easier adjustment for different boot sizes.

Yeah, that's the one. Curious what broke on your friend's toe piece and what caused the issue? Important information, even though it's just one case like you said.

I have heard great things about those two ATK options as well as the Trab. Another factor for me is boot/binding ramp/delta. I don't want to shim anything with the mount and if I have it right, the Dynafits offer the flatter skiing and smaller heel/toe delta of the three. I'm sure the exact numbers are somewhere in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Solesides View Post
    Yeah, that's the one. Curious what broke on your friend's toe piece and what caused the issue? Important information, even though it's just one case like you said.

I have heard great things about those two ATK options as well as the Trab. Another factor for me is boot/binding ramp/delta. I don't want to shim anything with the mount and if I have it right, the Dynafits offer the flatter skiing and smaller heel/toe delta of the three. I'm sure the exact numbers are somewhere in this thread.
    I don't remember exactly how it broke, I know the toepiece cracked somehow while he was skiing. He isn't that big but he was skiing Ravens with Zero G Tour Pro boots and is a pretty aggressive skier, so he was probably pushing them harder than most would.

The Superlite 150 has a 6mm delta and heel adjustment plates are usually around 5mm thick (I can't find a spec for the Dynafit heel plate thickness, but ATK/Trab/Plum heel plates are around 5mm), so in the "plus" configuration the Superlite 150 would be around 11mm of delta, same as the Crest and steeper than the Trab. If ramp angle is a concern, check out the Marker Alpinist. With brakes it doesn't weigh much more than the Superlite Plus setup, and many nerds say its the best skiing full-tech binding due to the carbon infused toepiece and heel elasticity (I haven't skied them myself). Their brakes look a little funky but they are the flattest ramp binding with heel adjustment built in and brake compatibility.

I had very good luck with MTN s

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

I got my first set of plum guides I’m trying this year. They seem pretty sweet fondling them. Here’s that delta angle chart.

https://www.wildsnow.com/10733/get-u...for-your-ramp/

The 300g Touring Binding Thread

Skimo has a better ramp angle chart for light weight bindings

https://skimo.co/pin-heights?gclid=C...IaAhVfEALw_wcB

I slightly botched my vario2 install on my BMT 94. I just got the bindings and rainier had a good weather window. I was set on taking the varios so I rushed the install. The heel does not land perfectly on the heel pins. I could fix them with inserts or I could fill and redrill the toes. I am confident in both methods when it comes to not ripping out. Is it worth using inserts with the varios? The other skis I could use them with are lhasa, lotus or BMT 120. Are those skis too much for the vario2?

I slightly botched my vario2 install on my BMT 94. I just got the bindings and rainier had a good weather window. I was set on taking the varios so I rushed the install. The heel does not land perfectly on the heel pins. I could fix them with inserts or I could fill and redrill the toes. I am confident in both methods when it comes to not ripping out. Is it worth using inserts with the varios? The other skis I could use them with are lhasa, lotus or BMT 120. Are those skis too much for the vario2?
    How bad is it? There's a good chance you can loosen the screws, align the binding with your boot (with the boot in place) then tighten the screws back down. I usually mount my bindings doing that just because a little float can get it way off.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    How bad is it? There's a good chance you can loosen the screws, align the binding with your boot (with the boot in place) then tighten the screws back down. I usually mount my bindings doing that just because a little float can get it way off.
    That won’t correct as much as you think. Much better to use inserts, but you’ll have to be really slow and deliberate with your drilling to make it work

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    That's the first thing to try. Click your boot in, lock the toe and you'll likely have enough leverage to get things where they need. I'm not familiar with the Vario but hopefully there are some exposed screws you can tighten first before you remove the boot.

Nope, loosening the screws is not enough. I plan to tap and plug the old holes with nylon screws. Then re-drill using the toe as a guide. I got this. Basically the only question is if it's stupid to set up the vario2 so they can be used with bigger skis

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The 300g Touring Binding Thread

Nope, loosening the screws is not enough. I plan to tap and plug the old holes with nylon screws. Then re-drill using the toe as a guide. I got this. Basically the only question is if it's stupid to set up the vario2 so they can be used with bigger skis

Should be just fine on wide skis. Unless you are a huge dude who skis like a drunken jackhammer. The ski trab might be the best light binding on a big ski actually.

Sweet sweet validation.

Has anyone played with or skied a Dynafit Blacklight binding yet? It looks like a potentially interesting option in the category - light and cheap, with decent features, so something must be wrong...right? I'm curious to hear what y'all think about it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheArbez View Post
    Has anyone played with or skied a Dynafit Blacklight binding yet? It looks like a potentially interesting option in the category - light and cheap, with decent features, so something must be wrong...right? I'm curious to hear what y'all think about it.

Looks like they are pretty much the same thing as the TLT Speed Z12 binding that has been out for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Looks like they are pretty much the same thing as the TLT Speed Z12 binding that has been out for a few years.
    Totally didn't know those existed - thanks for pointing them out. Per my cursory research, seems like these bindings don't offer much besides price to compete with ATK and Trab.

Blister posted a very thorough review of them a couple years ago. They just seem a bit behind ATK, Trab, and even Marker.

has anybody tried matching Vario toes with ATK heels?

The idea would be to get a fully featured ATK heel together with the smoother Vario toe, adjust both to get the ideal delta (same as Pivots - replace toe spacer with something thinner or remove it all together). Ideally I would do it with Raider heels, but as I have Crests those are the more likely candidate. The Vario.2 heels just seem like a bother to tour with, no brakes and turning it to use the different riser heights.

Finally got my hands on a pair of Kuluar 12s. Sexy little things, very nicely built, won't be skiing them as they're for a buddy though. Was a bit surprised to see an all plastic heel mounting plate. I'm sure we've come a long ways in terms of material science but not seeing any metal anywhere around the holes always makes me a bit nervous.,,
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise