Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23
    IME if you tell kids not to stik beans up their nose they will

so I'm not saying anything
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    This seems like an odd choice. If they brought the R12 or better the FR14 for $700 it would’ve borderline ok. But the R12 heel doesn’t offer much over the Crest heel other than 2 extra release points. So this is just at crest at $700. Which is pretty nuts.
    I think it's more about the $700 than choice of toe. ATK has always mix and matched.

Maybe Black Diamond's engineers didn't like the snow clearing toe of the R12 and R14. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I like the two extra riser (not "release") positions, and if that becomes more important to my right ankle's limited dorsiflection, then it will be an R12 purchase from Yurp.

In the next few days, I'll update the the first post of the ATK thread with the details of this binder version.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-01-2020 at 06:45 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I think it's more about the $700 than choice of toe. ATK has always mix and matched.

Maybe Black Diamond's engineers didn't like the snow clearing toe of the R12 and R14. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I like the two extra riser (not "release") positions, and if that becomes more important to my right ankle's limited dorsiflection, then it will be an R12 purchase from Yurp.

In the next few days, I'll update the the first post of the ATK thread with the details of this binder version.

... Thom
    Well itís more about the crest being a 419 euro binding and the r12 a 555 euro binding. Given exchange rate and an extra margin in the loop $700 is not unreasonable for an r12. It is for a crestish binding.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Well it’s more about the crest being a 419 euro binding and the r12 a 555 euro binding. Given exchange rate and an extra margin in the loop $700 is not unreasonable for an r12. It is for a crestish binding.
    Good point (as long as an RV of 10 for a Crest/RT 10 works for folks).

Springtime pricing was stuck in my head - especially last Spring's COVID deals. I lost track of typical in-season prices.

Also, along the lines of the Crest 10, don't forget the RT 10 which has a toe clamping force adjustment for touring mode (adjust for tech fitting wear).

It's a straight-forward device (its name implies otherwise - "Uphill Hardness Variator") and doesn't add complexity. OK, I confess - any extra part adds complexity, but it is a simple design, with a rotating, asymmetric cam/stop to set the tension.

I wonder if it's the RT 10 toe that's spec'd for BD's version. The Crest and RT 10 toes are indistinguishable apart from the UHV which is hidden by the toe lever in the picture. Both versions of the toe (Crest 10 and RT 10) have the monolink design.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; Today at 03:10 PM.
    Galibier Design

Here's a detail photo of the UHV adjuster on the toe of my RT 10 binder. Turn the screw to adjust which cam lobe the toe lever engages and this in turn increases/decreases clamping force in tour mode.

I'll put this up on the ATK thread as well, as I'm sure there may be questions about UHV. It wasn't clear until I played with one.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; Yesterday at 03:56 AM.
    Galibier Design

110 and 180 have disappeared off the BD site. Wonder how much they're reshuffling their offerings.