Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Thanks Rob! Those things look hudge!
    I may have to order some and check them out. I have prime so I’ll just send them back if they don’t work.

Jong goggle selfies.. we have reached a new low
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I thought I was gonna become a TGR influencer and make a living off this!

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Jong goggle selfies.. we have reached a new low
    Well there is the soccer mom fight in the helicopter thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D! View Post
    I got my pair in just now. Seem like fine goggles. Went with the green 18% VLT lens. I'm comparing them to my Bolle goggles I got on clearance a couple years ago and my wife's new Smith Chromapop lenses. The Bolle I have are a much lighter tint, but as far as I can tell, the optics are similar. Chromapop is similar VLT (25% Everyday Red) but is definitely a little nicer overall, although the Outdoormaster has a little better peripheral vision (subtle... I could be making it up. And the Smith's are a cylindrical lens, btw). One bummer about the Outdoor Master lens I have is that there is a very slight imperfection in the central vision that make a tiny blurry spot. If I wasn't trying to compare them with other goggles and write a little review, I may not have noticed.
    Otherwise, the clarity is on par with the other goggles. They fit well and are comfortable - decent foam. It does press on the bridge of my nose a little more than I would like, but not a deal breaker. Seem to integrate well with my Giro Zone. Look good. Strap has a silicone bead to help it grip the helmet.
    One thing that seems a little concerning. In the instructions they say not to wipe out the insides of the lens if it gets wet because it will damage the anti-fog coating. Instead, they want you to let it air dry while skiing. You can blot it a bit with the included bag/cleaning cloth. I know I'm gonna have to wipe these things out eventually to be able to see well enough to get going and air them out.
    I'll ski them this weekend and see how they do. If they work, I'll probably order a lighter lens for overcast/stormy days (or order another pair of goggles for cheaper!). Not sure if the blurry spot is irritating enough to try to get them exchanged.
    I’m under the impression that wiping any goggle lens while wet will cause damage. I believe it’s in the product papers with some smiths I got a while back. Not only does the coating wipe off, the polycarbonate is slightly more prone to scratching because its a tiny bit softer when the surface is saturated. I try to never touch the inside, and if things get dire only dab ever so gently, no wiping.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Name:  Kx9e.gif
Views: 1568
Size:  328.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    2O$’s just donate em to the raffle
    Better idea..

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I’m under the impression that wiping any goggle lens while wet will cause damage. I try to never touch the inside, and if things get dire only dab ever so gently, no wiping.
    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Correct! never wipe the inside of the goggles after taking a beater or having them fog up. Either go to a bathroom and use the hand drier to dry them out (not to close or the hot air can fuck with the lense), or do what many people do and carry a backup pair of googles or a backup lense in your jacket for a quick swap out.

You learn this the hard way unfortunately. the only time you wipe the inside of the lense is once they are bone dry, and you do it gently.

Also, for what it's worth, do not leave a pair of snowy/wet goggles in a case/bag for a few days after skiing. Moisture between lenses and the coating gets too fragile to wipe even when dry.

Not that I've ever been stupid enough to do this or anything...

Thanks, Rob!
    And yeah, x1,000 on don't wipe the inside when it's wet. I remember telling people that back at Princeton Ski Shops in Westchester in the Oughts. Not that that necessarily means it's correct, just saying I've heard it before.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Well, I've been apparently f'ing this up for decades. I guess the cheap goggles I use are so bad to start with that I've never noticed a major problem. Total jong. Maybe you want to disregard my mini review
    Thanks for educating me.

I dunno about the "technical" aspects of wiping the inside of the lens, but my practical experience doesn't jive with that.

I don't bomb hard enough to pack the inside of the goggles really often, but it's certainly happened more than a few times.

And when it does, I knock out all the snow [nice with the removable lens] and use a soft cloth wipe. [It's funny - I thought that goggle wipe on the sleeve-pocket of my TNF jacket was a piece of fluff, that I'd never use. Turns out to be pretty handy. Why they failed to put in a double main zipper so you could unzip from the bottom, but managed to put in a goggle wipe - well I'll never know.]

I always wipe the inside of the lens. At this point, you're not going to see jack. The solution is simply to ski fast.

But wiping the inside hasn't had any dire impact on the foggy-ness of the goggles otherwise - at least not that I can tell. If you used a napkin, I'd be more concerned. Paper is a lot more abrasive than a soft piece of cloth. I don't scrub the things - just a gentle wipe to get the most water off I can. But perhaps in another 3-4 years I'll notice it's a problem. But then the foam will be crumbling in my eyes and it'll be time to spend another $20.

And @Rob - get them to replace the lens. It took a few days for them to respond to my Amazon message when the seal between the sandwich failed, but they were really good at replacing the lens. [I got impatient about waiting, figuring they were going to blow me off, so I talked to Amazon, and they said to buy a new pair and return the defective one. So I did that, and then I got the replacement. [I asked for the green 80% instead of the orange 65% that went bad.] So, I ended up with two lenses - which was nice. But the take-away is they seem quite invested in handling problems.

Thanks Gregorys. What do you think about the green 80%. I'm thinking about it vs yellow for overcast or stormy days. Right now leaning yellow.

The green is good for night/dark. I even do fine on those days where it's overcast, but "bright."
    But not everyone's going to like it for that last option, I think. [Think, overcast. Bright, but not sunny.] I just squint more.

I doubt that I'll like green better than clear. But I'm also one of those guys who can't really tell any difference in lenses in really bad conditions. IMO, (or perhaps just for me) I think they all suck equally. Chromapop etc - all seem like hype. Perhaps I've just got weird eyes - but I think it's all, essentially, placebo effect.

Green might, however, be a little better (than clear) when it's not quite as dark. But that's speculation.

I just got my clear lenses last night, so I haven't had a chance to try those yet. My plan is that I'll normally rely on a 24% VLT and a 100% VLT (Clear) as my main lenses. IMO, anything with less VLT than 20% is overkill for me.

Having used the Green 80% for a couple of years, I've been very happy. Doubt I'd rate a similar VLT yellow any better or worse.

Just got mine. Pretty sweet for $20!
    They sit flush with the helmet. My strap doesn't have silicone, but it's fine. They are a bit bigger than I wanted, but whatever. The orange lens has a mirrored coating; it's a bit darker than I was hoping for. Good thing additional lenses are so cheap!
    PSA: external hard drives beware, those magnets are strong!

The box they come in is huge, but you get a soft case (lenses?) and a cloth pouch.

Should be nice out on the hill! Supposed to be sunny when they open back up this weekend, so we'll see!
    No longer stuck.

apparently, the orange that comes with the frames is different than the orange that can be purchased separately. Might have to preemptively order some lenses. Anyone have a code for the lenses? The Orange is $40 for some reason. I could just get another pair of googles with the light blue lens, lol. Is this like how printers and ink work?
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 12-04-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    No longer stuck.

There was a thread about these goggles 2 years ago or so and the jong posting about it seemed to be a company rep and was offering coupon codes. I ordered a pair for my wife and I along with the green lenses as backups for the rainbow and the silver mirrored back then. Took them to Whistler for a week and loved them. Used them the rest of that season. Bought my daughter a pink pair for the 2017-2018 season and we used all 3. Just bought my son a pair for this season with that code.

The long and short after two years of use:

* They're Anon M.2 knockoffs.
    * They're big enough for my XXL dome
    * They breath nicely and don't fog up unless you're sweating like a pig (and every goggle will at that point, except maybe turbo fans)
    * They will fit OTG as long as you don't have massive frames
    * No significant helmet gap for either of us
    * The magnets are strong as hell, even after 2 years
    * The light lenses work well in the dark
    * The dark lenses might be a little bit too dark if it's a bit cloudy. Beware anything less that 15% for anything but the brightest of days
    * They're as scratch resistant as any other lens
    * They seem flexible enough to take an impact without shattering, but I haven't taken a tree branch to the eyes in 20 years of skiing either.
    * UV hasn't bothered me on sunny Tahoe days whatsoever

Most of the concerns I hear in here are about the UV and impact resistance. Both of those are pretty much simply inherent to polycarbonate material, and polycarb isn't exactly an exotic material. They're not ANSI rated safety goggles, so I don't know what people expect out of Oakley's shatter resistance vs. a no name.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

As long as there isn't some highly toxic substance in the foam that would cause your face to break out or get skin cancer they're probably fine. Any bets on lead paint on the frames?

Just messing with you folks. Save the money and get good glasses. Been a cheap goggles guy all my life.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Bought a pair last season on Amazon for $20, ultra dark lenses for full sun day. Nothing to report other than the extremely dorky jet-fighter-pilot look from the black oversized lens. No face cancer from the lead paint on the foam, no egregious scratching of the lens if you look at it wrong, no retinal burns from the fake UV filter, no excessive gaper gap. Pretty solid overall...

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    There was a thread about these goggles 2 years ago or so and the jong posting about it seemed to be a company rep and was offering coupon codes. I ordered a pair for my wife and I along with the green lenses as backups for the rainbow and the silver mirrored back then. Took them to Whistler for a week and loved them. Used them the rest of that season. Bought my daughter a pink pair for the 2017-2018 season and we used all 3. Just bought my son a pair for this season with that code.

The long and short after two years of use:

* They're Anon M.2 knockoffs.
    * They're big enough for my XXL dome
    * They breath nicely and don't fog up unless you're sweating like a pig (and every goggle will at that point, except maybe turbo fans)
    * They will fit OTG as long as you don't have massive frames
    * No significant helmet gap for either of us
    * The magnets are strong as hell, even after 2 years
    * The light lenses work well in the dark
    * The dark lenses might be a little bit too dark if it's a bit cloudy. Beware anything less that 15% for anything but the brightest of days
    * They're as scratch resistant as any other lens
    * They seem flexible enough to take an impact without shattering, but I haven't taken a tree branch to the eyes in 20 years of skiing either.
    * UV hasn't bothered me on sunny Tahoe days whatsoever

Most of the concerns I hear in here are about the UV and impact resistance. Both of those are pretty much simply inherent to polycarbonate material, and polycarb isn't exactly an exotic material. They're not ANSI rated safety goggles, so I don't know what people expect out of Oakley's shatter resistance vs. a no name.
    Oh wow, look at that. Do the lenses fit each other? Would be good for people who already have the Anons that need lenses.
    No longer stuck.

Doesn't fit an actual Anon frame. I asked that earlier in thread. Search JONG!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Oh wow, look at that. Do the lenses fit each other? Would be good for people who already have the Anons that need lenses.
    I don't have Anon's, but they look exactly the same (except the strap). The 2016's fit the 2017's. I'll let you know if the 2018's are interchangeable once the new one's arrive.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Chinese Goggles on Amazon

I would love if someone would do a myth busters style test. Take an expensive pair and a knockoff pair - and shoot them with various caliber rounds to see how protective they actually are. Ryanf9 had a YouTube comparo on cheap vs name-brand helmets - it was eye opening for sure

https://youtu.be/eBnioxhXkFA

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    I would love if someone would do a myth busters style test. Take an expensive pair and a knockoff pair - and shoot them with various caliber rounds to see how protective they actually are. Ryanf9 had a YouTube comparo on cheap vs name-brand helmets - it was eye opening for sure

https://youtu.be/eBnioxhXkFA
    Ya, but...

Those knockoff helmets are total garbage. I'd love to know the difference between my $100 LS2 trigger helmet and, say, an Arai or Shoei

Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Got mine yesterday...first impressions would be impressive for a more expensive goggle, for $25 this is a no-brainer unless the Chinese have put some sort of mind-melt device in them. Build seems solid, lens is clean and true. Mount is secure, it would take a significant amount of force to knock the lens loose from the magnets but it's relatively easy to take off/put back on when you want to. Frame is a bit big but so is my head and they mate well with my Pret Cynic helmet. Should have got a lighter lens, I went with the 15% Blue and can tell it's only going to be good on very bright days so I ordered the 60% Light Blue. Hopefully going to check them out on the hill tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.
    The Sheriff is near!