Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    50% off OM magnetic goggles. Been using the clear lens for night skiing and they've been great.

Code - 6TSCMCH6

Not sure how long it will go for.
    Is that on the OM site, or amazon?
    Been using mine for a year and they work great... but after a few too many tree branches to the face, it's time for some new lenses. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D! View Post
    Is that on the OM site, or amazon?
    Been using mine for a year and they work great... but after a few too many tree branches to the face, it's time for some new lenses. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014XKTFI0..._vt.lEbWFAZN4C
    Last edited by phatty; 01-28-2020 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    50% off OM magnetic goggles. Been using the clear lens for night skiing and they've been great.

Code - 6TSCMCH6

Not sure how long it will go for.
    Thank you phatty, code still works.

Trigger pulled, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

So I received mine today and have some initial impressions from just looking them over inside. Again I don't work for a goggle company but design products professionally.

Going to be comparing to some Smith IO X Chromapop's and Optic Nerve googles that were around $100 new. That way it's a good high end and "quality budget" comparison

Accessories
    -The "protective case" is 1/2 molded foam 1/2 mesh on the back. While definitely not as protective as a case that has molded sides on both at least this way they can kinda dry in the case if they still have some residual moisture in them. There is a secondary pocket on the molded side for an extra lens, nice feature. One of the cases I got has a different molding detail on them than the other.
    -"Carrying pouch" is your standard microfiber 1 pocket bag. Doesn't have a second pocket like Smith bags for an extra lens.
    Frames
    -Molding looks to be pretty good, certainly not the best I've ever seen but better than I thought it'd be for the price. Slightly under Optic Nerve quality. They are painted after molding instead of the plastic actually being tinted.
    -Foam seems good and is actually different densities, not just different colors (easy cost saving switch over in asia). But time will show the quality of the foam, adhesive, and how well it was applied.
    -The frame sticks out further from your face, than the I/OX or the Optic Nerve's especially underneath your eyes. So they definitely reduce your peripheral vision where you need it the most (right out in front of you)

Strap
    -Feels good, and has a decent bit of silicone printing on it. Loop ends are just single row stitched (Smith IO are ended with a molded plastic piece) which I'd expect to be the first thing to fail on the strap. Also the bulkiness of how they are ended/ looped over makes adjustment a little more of a fiddle. Time will really show how good it actually it in the elastic durability department.
    Lenses
    - Clear & "Gold" mirrored
    They both don't have an amazing anti glare coating on the inside as you can see your eyes reflected on the inside layer. Can't on my Smith and Optic Nerve lenses. Will be interesting to take them outside and see how the do in glare situations. This is definitely something that a lot of fancy looking but cheap lenses have problems with. The actual molding of the lenses is good, equal to or a little worse than my Optic Nerve lenses, but again, not Smith quality. If you're an average user you probably won't notice it. The lenses aren't polarized (did see that they had one style of lens that was advertised as pol. but wasn't available to order). Sealing of the inner layer has some spots that looked like they weren't fully glued but pressing on it seemed to adhere the spots, so something to watch out for. There are some very little scratches on the lens out of the box, but for the price it's to be expected.
    Magnets
    They seem nice and strong and glued in well, on both the frames and lenses, right now. Again time will tell how good the glue and it's application actually is. They force seems like a good balance between good retention but not too strong it's hard to switch lenses. Guess I'll just have to tomahawk this winter to test that...
    *edit* hit a tree this winter (pretty major concussion) and the lenses kinda dislodged in the crash but didn't come off

Cost
    So other that some of the cost cutting measures that I've already talked about there is another big reason why these things cost so little. The development cost was essentially already paid for by Smith, Oakley, Dragon, etc. Those companies actually spent the time, energy, and money to develop all the tech you see in these goggles. Then whoever is actually making these comes along and copies their tech without having to invest in serious development and testing.

TL;DR
    Now if I had friends who only ski a few times a year and ask me if they should get these goggles...I might recommend them. I'd probably explain to them what I just did above, but for your casual skier these will work just fine. Someone who's used nicer stuff for a while might be wanting a little more (IF the durability isn't a problem)
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 03-25-2020 at 09:41 AM.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Nobody cares where you bought your goggles. Just don't act like buying a pair of knock off ray deflectors from one of Bezos subsidized distribution centers is good for the ski industry. Also $200+ googles are fucking stupid but local ski shops are pretty cool and most offer good goggles for about $80-$100 from companies that stand behind there product and treat there employees well.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Tried the outdoor master cylindrical google. Sending the back after 5 runs, they were fogging on the outside of the lens and I wasn’t breathing hard, not even medium exertion, and they gave me a splitting headache from the horrible lens quality. Prices on Smith googles is beyond stupid, even with pro deals, but they work great.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Tried the outdoor master cylindrical google. Sending the back after 5 runs, they were fogging on the outside of the lens and I wasn’t breathing hard, not even medium exertion, and they gave me a splitting headache from the horrible lens quality. Prices on Smith googles is beyond stupid, even with pro deals, but they work great.

Interesting. I had the opposite experience with the OM "pro frameless" model - much less fogging than with my Smith I/OS goggles. For me, the I/OS always fogs directly in the center of the lens and rapidly expands, but the OM only fogs a little strip along the very top of the lens. I didn't have any issues with lens clarity/distortion in the three OM lenses I purchased, but may have just gotten lucky.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5BE35622-7859-4889-BEAC-7E96DF9829E1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	564.4 KB 
ID:	312893

I take it all back, I’m gonna place a $10,000 order.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I was pretty blown away walking OR today and seeing them have a booth.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    That's pretty crazy. That said, there's definitely a market for decent gear at more reasonable prices. I ski at a local hill (not a resort or destination ski area) and Chinese goggle brands are everywhere. Zionor, OM, Xevo, you name it. And this is in one of the wealthiest markets in the US where their OM goggles will be matched with their Patagonia jacket. It's an interesting phenomenon for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Right? And not just one of the rinky dunk booths downstairs with the rest of the Chinese knockoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Right? And not just one of the rinky dunk booths downstairs with the rest of the Chinese knockoffs.
    lololol exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Nobody cares where you bought your goggles. Just don't act like buying a pair of knock off ray deflectors from one of Bezos subsidized distribution centers is good for the ski industry. Also $200+ googles are fucking stupid but local ski shops are pretty cool and most offer good goggles for about $80-$100 from companies that stand behind there product and treat there employees well.
    Maybe it supports some kind of industry but $200+ goggles and day passes sure don't support skiers.
    Besides, that $150+ in pocket change I saved will be spent on ... wait for it ... skiing.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Hey, I said it quite some time ago, and I'm amused someone's using as their tag-line - but it still applies.
    If your goggles are fogging, most of the time it's a user problem, IMO.
    Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Hey, I said it quite some time ago, and I'm amused someone's using as their tag-line - but it still applies.
    If your goggles are fogging, most of the time it's a user problem, IMO.
    Like I said. Not even medium exertion. No mouth breathing. Just skiing fast groomers. They were fogging on the outside due to what appeared to be left over production residue. But the splitting headache due to crap optic’s. Well that is a sign that they’re bad goggles. I bought a pair of the spherical ones last year and they work great for snowmobiling and working outside in the elements without worrying about ruining them. But the cylindrical ones suck.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    There was a thread about these goggles 2 years ago or so and the jong posting about it seemed to be a company rep and was offering coupon codes. I ordered a pair for my wife and I along with the green lenses as backups for the rainbow and the silver mirrored back then. Took them to Whistler for a week and loved them. Used them the rest of that season. Bought my daughter a pink pair for the 2017-2018 season and we used all 3. Just bought my son a pair for this season with that code.

The long and short after two years of use:

* They're Anon M.2 knockoffs.
    * They're big enough for my XXL dome
    * They breath nicely and don't fog up unless you're sweating like a pig (and every goggle will at that point, except maybe turbo fans)
    * They will fit OTG as long as you don't have massive frames
    * No significant helmet gap for either of us
    * The magnets are strong as hell, even after 2 years
    * The light lenses work well in the dark
    * The dark lenses might be a little bit too dark if it's a bit cloudy. Beware anything less that 15% for anything but the brightest of days
    * They're as scratch resistant as any other lens
    * They seem flexible enough to take an impact without shattering, but I haven't taken a tree branch to the eyes in 20 years of skiing either.
    * UV hasn't bothered me on sunny Tahoe days whatsoever

Most of the concerns I hear in here are about the UV and impact resistance. Both of those are pretty much simply inherent to polycarbonate material, and polycarb isn't exactly an exotic material. They're not ANSI rated safety goggles, so I don't know what people expect out of Oakley's shatter resistance vs. a no name.
    Oh, the haters are still trying to justify paying $200 for their goggles and are talking shit again. Well allow me to followup

Purchased my first pair for a trip to whistler in Jan 2017. Still rocking them. I treat them like shit, never use the bag and just stuff them in my helmet with my gloves after riding. No scratches on the silver mirrored lens. They still don't fog up unless I'm sweating like a pig. I now own 4 pairs + 4 extra lenses for low light, one for each member of my family. So yeah, I'm happy saving $600 on goggles for the family. And I'd love it if you should show me where oakley or any other brand states their goggles are rated safety eyewear.

My daughter loves her pink goggles and questions your motives.

Name:	IMG_20190224_133252.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	313131
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

+1 , the reason I was exprsssing concern about UV several pages back is because I ski higher elevation, but also have some aftermath of eye injuries. Only a couple days on my OM’s, and granted they were storm days but no sign of headache from UV or optics here.

Like I said. Not even medium exertion. No mouth breathing. Just skiing fast groomers. They were fogging on the outside due to what appeared to be left over production residue. But the splitting headache due to crap optic’s. Well that is a sign that they’re bad goggles. I bought a pair of the spherical ones last year and they work great for snowmobiling and working outside in the elements without worrying about ruining them. But the cylindrical ones suck.

Why did you buy the cylindrical? That shape always has distortion. Figure at $20, why not spend the cash for spherical. Test running my new OM this weekend. I’ve had several different chinese goggles with no issues other than fit. One set went to my nephew who needed OTG goggles and my son stole my other two pair.

I thought they would be too big for kid faces.....I digress.

Wiring $ to Xi Jinping now.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Oh, the haters are still trying to justify paying $200 for their goggles and are talking shit again. Well allow me to followup

Purchased my first pair for a trip to whistler in Jan 2017. Still rocking them. I treat them like shit, never use the bag and just stuff them in my helmet with my gloves after riding. No scratches on the silver mirrored lens. They still don't fog up unless I'm sweating like a pig. I now own 4 pairs + 4 extra lenses for low light, one for each member of my family. So yeah, I'm happy saving $600 on goggles for the family. And I'd love it if you should show me where oakley or any other brand states their goggles are rated safety eyewear.

My daughter loves her pink goggles and questions your motives.

Name:	IMG_20190224_133252.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	313131

Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    I thought they would be too big for kid faces.....I digress.

Wiring $ to Xi Jinping now.
    FWIW - my 12 year old preferred the fit of the Wildhorn Jr goggles (purchased during one of the $30 sales) to the larger OMs.

3x the $. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for their sales code.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoova View Post
    FWIW - my 12 year old preferred the fit of the Wildhorn Jr goggles (purchased during one of the $30 sales) to the larger OMs.

Got my pairs, I’m stoked on initial quality. Seems like a win so far, ill check back in a few weeks...

Gravity always wins...

Wish the price was better on the replacement lens.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

have they ever had a coupon that worked just for the lenses? Seems silly to have to buy a whole new pair of goggles to get lenses. I have 2 pair of goggles already, I just need a lens or two!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy