Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    For low / flat light, I prefer the light blue to the light green (the light green is essentially yellow). YMMV.

I have the green and the yellow, I think, so I guess I am good.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    I like light green and light yellow in low light - can’t decide. I’m having too much fun swapping lenses to be honest. The 24% orange seems to be most versatile: not the best for real low light but great for getting in and out of shaded parts.

I haven’t tried polarized light yellow yet but the dark grey polarized were very comfortable. The multicolored ones are good in bright sun and have bright feel.

Try yellow or orange to see if they give you more contrast.

Nice fleet!
    Light orange is great. I picked up one from Zionor. Same goggle so it fits on the Outdoor Master too. It's almost as good as sensor mirror. In fact, I probably wouldn't notice the difference between my old Sensor Mirror lenses and regular old orange. I used light blue too, and it made me realize why goggles have historically been orange for the most part. Even without all the "technology" and spiffy buzz words, the mere fact that the lense is light orange is what seems to do 98% of the work. Makes sense, since a mountain covered in snow is mostly shades of blue/green/gray/brown.
    Skiing Snowbowl is usually overcast or foggy and sometimes the sun peeks out in the new area since it's lower and faces west.
    Orange does the bulk of the work. This year has been weird and March has been very much an early spring, so I have a mirrored orange lens which is still ok if a cloud moves in front of the sun.
    Scared to make the yellow commitment for anything but night skiing since it seems like it would be like getting a laser beam in the eyeballs if the sun came out at all.
    February was a very snowy month and not once did I wish I was wearing the yellow.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Anyone seen any good deals lately? Need to get a couple pairs for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Anyone seen any good deals lately? Need to get a couple pairs for kids.
    Here is a link for $15 off first purchase http://i.refs.cc/ya5lggAY

Their front page may have some deals too.

When did OM start claiming their goggles were over $100 retail? Seems like the prices got jacked over the last year.

They are still like $30-$40 on Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It's been a long time since the last OM sale.

Two options; Use Code: AWQTIQVO for 50% off the current price. (About $20-30 a pair)
    I particularly like this lens: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z35WM4X (Great for anything other than super-bright down to quite low light. I've used them on full sun days without any real issue - though they're a little too bright.)

Or, Walmart evidently has just lenses on sale for ~$13 ea. (Though not that 24% VLT lens - but they do have yellow, green and clear.)
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/OutdoorMa...ices/498793446
    (The arrival date is almost a couple of weeks out, so keep that in mind.)
    I think free shipping over $30.

As before, if you want more than one goggle from Amazon, do it all in one order. The coupon probably doesn't work for a second pass.
    And don't wait around, thinking about it. I have no idea how long this will last. The last time was only a day or two.

And FTR, I get nothing from anyone buying (or not) OM goggles. I just think they're very good at even $40-50. At 20-30, they're a pretty insane deal, IMO.
    Last edited by gregorys; 02-18-2022 at 02:33 PM.

Gregorys is that a light orange lens?
    If i look at just replacement lenses on amazon it's pretty obvious what youre getting. On the goggle page linked above some of the lense colors and VLT levels are listed kinda janky. I wanna get a very light yellow and somewhat darker orange.

I've got two pair of frames and ~5 different lenses for these at this point. A++ would recommend. The magnet system works great, the lenses resist fogging up pretty well, and like having multiple options securely stowed away (since the lenses snap to each other, they don't rustle around and get scratched up), and it's only ~$20-30 a pop for a lens if I want/need another.

Quote Originally Posted by HotSchmoo View Post
    Gregorys is that a light orange lens?
    If i look at just replacement lenses on amazon it's pretty obvious what youre getting. On the goggle page linked above some of the lense colors and VLT levels are listed kinda janky. I wanna get a very light yellow and somewhat darker orange.
    Yeah, I've got quite a few lenses at this point, so I'm not absolutely positive what I have, but IIRC, the 24% VLT and something like 80-100% VLT are the best two lenses - in terms of VLT. (Color doesn't matter a lot, though I prefer more neutral orange/gray/green)

The 8-15% VLT's aren't very valuable unless it's super bright.

[I spent the bucks on their photochromatic lens last spring. I like it quite a lot. It works quite well, except when it's quite dark. But honestly, I'd probably do those two lenses (24%/80%) above any other combination. I find myself flipping between my photo lens and green/clear when it starts to get dark or really overcast/dark.]

OM really needs to add a couple more low light lenses. They have a bazillion options for sunny days and 2 (3 if you include clear) for low light days. After running OM's for the last few years, I picked up some cheap (ish) Smiths because neither the light blue or light green OM lenses really agreed with my eyes. I like the Smith lens better on low light days, but I prefer the OM goggles in every other respect. The OM's have better field of vision, the foam is comfier, the strap is more secure, and the magnetic swappable lenses work great.

Yeah it kinda seems with all the bright light color options is just to match your outfit maybe?
    Kinda silly

I use the clear for night skiing and it's money. Will probably pick up another for kids.

Kinda kills me that lenses are more money than the full goggles with them at half off.
    Walmart it is i guess

Where does one find the photochromic lens for the pro model?

Looks to be only available on outdoor master site.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

OM plain orange looks like more or less the same lens as the Zionor orange one I got, just with it's own arbitrary VLT number. Maybe it's a little darker? Who knows. Looks fine.
    And also: https://www.amazon.com/ZIONOR-Lagopu...8-3&th=1&psc=1
    No longer stuck.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074K345QP...NrPXRydWU&th=1
    Anyone use that one?
    Looks like very light orange, but polarized so you don't get a headache if the sun starts trying to come out. Maybe.
    No longer stuck.

Ordered some clears for night skiing for $25 including tax. Score

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Where does one find the photochromic lens for the pro model?
    Looks to be only available on outdoor master site.
    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Yes, only on OM.
    I strung together a bunch of different discounts - can't recall what. I got it down pretty cheap. (but NOT cheap compared to the deals posted above.)
    If I were giving my best advice?

Get a 2 or 3 individual lenses. Ski with a ~25% VLT most of the time. Then 80-100% the darker times. And if you must, use a 8-15% VLT for the really bright days.

Honestly, I think almost everyone could get by with two lenses. ~25% VLT and something like Clear/green/yellow.

So, I don't think the photo-chroma lens is worth the cost - even though I'll likely continue to use mine. It is nice. Just not worth the $$, IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074K345QP...NrPXRydWU&th=1
    Anyone use that one?
    Looks like very light orange, but polarized so you don't get a headache if the sun starts trying to come out. Maybe.
    I have one coming. At $13, I figured it was worth trying. I also have the brown polarized 25% VLT coming too.
    Glad to post back what I think once I have a chance to try them. (But if you wait, I'd guess those Walmart-sold/fulfilled lenses won't be $13 anymore.)

Edited to add: I only got two lenses from the WM deal - for ~$26. But shipping was still free. Dunno why, but I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the heads up, my lenses were getting scratched up- two new yellows on the way to brighten cloudy days!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

anyone elses walmart lens order get stuck in USPS in LA? Mine havne't moved since 2-25 out of LA.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    anyone elses walmart lens order get stuck in USPS in LA? Mine havne't moved since 2-25 out of LA.
    Yup - but mine did start moving a few days ago, and I think they will get here tomorrow - certainly in a day or two.
    (I'm not sure if my complaining to WM made a difference, but they did start moving the next day, IIRC)

Edited to add:
    To be clear, I think these shipped from China, directly - and at least in my case, get handed over from the "shipping partner" to USPS.
    (I'd guess that hand-over includes customs etc.)

That took more than a week, IIRC.
    Last edited by gregorys; 03-06-2022 at 09:40 PM.

I was reminded I should post about the polarized lenses from OM, and update on the photo-sensitive lenses.

Got polarized lenses pretty cheap, $13, IIRC. Shipping was free too. Too hard to pass up.
    Bought 75% VLT and 25% VLT - both polarized.

IMO, polarized is a waste for skiing. And they actually make life harder for some things, like trying to read your LCD watch. The polarization makes my watch appear blank. So to read the time, you gotta pull the goggles off.

Colors are also impacted. Some black glossy surfaces like the chair pads appear green instead.
    It's not like it's a big deal, but it's no benefit, IMO.

The upside is; they were sick cheap, so I'm glad to have them.

---
    The 75% VLT lens is really pretty great for anything that's darker than broken clouds. They're probably a little too dark to ski in shoulder light - when you go from day to night ski - but most anything else that's not really bright they shine.

Note that I'm "old" (mid 50's) and my vision is starting to suck. So, you young punks with good eyes will probably want something darker. But if you're "old" like me, they are sweet in a really wide range of conditions.

I've said this up-thread multiple times - but IMO, go for more light through the lens than you really think you want. IMO, something like 20-30% VLT and then 40-60 VLT and finally an 80+% is the best combo. I can ski just a 40% and a 80/100% and be perfectly happy even in the 40% on bight bluebird days.

I also tried out the photo-sensitive lenses over the past year. I thought I'd update with longer term thoughts.

The photo sensitive lenses are quite good. But unless they're pretty cheap (IMO <$50) they're not worth it. I can ski them most all the time except pretty dim light - like the transition from day to night. But at the lower light levels, I'm not super happy. I'd be more happy saving $50 and simply planning on swapping lenses. (I'll probably end up doing that any way.)

YMMV!