Thread: AQUAMAN!

AQUAMAN!

Movie looks like it could be DC's first hit, but I still cant stop thinking about robot chicken's take on Aquaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E View Post
    Movie looks like it could be DC's first hit...
    Pretty sure that Richard Donner's Superman was a hit (made for $55 million, grossed $300 million, was the second highest grossing film of 1978...)

Pretty sure that Tim Burton's Batman was a hit (earned $400 million upon release and at that time was the 5th highest grossing film of all time...)

Pretty sure that Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Rises was a hit (considered one of the "best films of 2012"; grossed over $1 billion; 7th highest grossing film of all time when it was released).

Damn near positive that Wonder Woman was a hit ($821 million gross, which made it the 10th highest grossing film of its release year).

Basically, DC has had quite a few cinematic hits to date...so, not quite sure what you mean by your statement that Aquaman will be DC's first hit...

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Pretty sure that Richard Donner's Superman was a hit (made for $55 million, grossed $300 million, was the second highest grossing film of 1978...)

Pretty sure that Tim Burton's Batman was a hit (earned $400 million upon release and at that time was the 5th highest grossing film of all time...)

Pretty sure that Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Rises was a hit (considered one of the "best films of 2012"; grossed over $1 billion; 7th highest grossing film of all time when it was released).

Damn near positive that Wonder Woman was a hit ($821 million gross, which made it the 10th highest grossing film of its release year).

Basically, DC has had quite a few cinematic hits to date...so, not quite sure what you mean by your statement that Aquaman will be DC's first hit...

yeah yeah, but compared to Marvel? Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Spiderman, X Men, Avengers, Black Panther, Ant Man etc etc... DC has a lot of ground to cover. Did you see batman vs superman or suicide squad? Those were fucking awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E View Post
    Did you see batman vs superman or suicide squad? Those were fucking awful.
    QFT

IMO Wonder Woman stands head and shoulders above the recent crop of DC movies. It made $821.8 million off of a $150 million budget.

Yabut ....... it had it's weaknesses. Gadot and Pine were great, but some of the characters were painfully weak e.g. Pine's crew.

Not to harsh anybody's mellow, but I think the trailers to Aquaman look Weak-As-Fuck.
    The film looks cheesy as all get-out.
    All those bombastic underwater battle scenes? Didn't they learn anything from Batman Vs Superman (which I actually enjoyed), Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, and Justice League? Over-the-top, gratuitious battle scenes where our heros fight mythical entities/other-worldly entities/whatever, destroy everything in sight, etc. are boring-as-fuck. Give us some story and some actual characters with depth. But then perhaps that's just me. I was bored with the first 2 Avengers movies as I felt all they didi was destroy buildings and beat up aliens and robots. YAWN.
    But I digress...
    The only other trailers I've seen recently that look worse (i.e lamer) than Aquaman are Shazam and Godzilla: King of Monsters.
    All three of those films look like utter shite to me.

Will I go see them?
    You bet.
    I'm a genre junkie and there's always the chance that shitty trailers = entertaining movies (lord knows that more often than not really great trailers = shitty movies).

But that's just me.

Carry on.

Hey Dookie, what do you think about Mortal Engines? The whole premise looks suspect

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Hey Dookie, what do you think about Mortal Engines? The whole premise looks suspect.
    Have seen the trailer a few times on the BIG screen and have to say that I am intrigued. Have not read the source material(s), though, so don't know anything about the story other than what was fed me in the previews. Peter Jackson oversaw the production, so it will at least look visually stunning...

I will say the one thing that intriques me about Aquaman is the presence of Black Manta (but it also looks like there is another villain and, quite honestly, any time a superhero movie has more than 1 villain I find that things get sloppy in the storytelling department...but Black Manta looks cool in the trailers).

been waiting for years. and they said it would never happen
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.

I love how the OP posts this thread and then straight disappears...wtf?

Yo, Evil E, where is your review?

I made the effort to see Aquaman a few weeks ago. Drove the 45-minutes to Reno. Bought a ticket. Then the overweight babymama in front of me who had an infant strapped to her chest in a Baby Bjorn and a sniffling, coughing 3 y/o grasped in her right hand, the largest bucket of popcorn available at the concession stand, and several sodas (in the largest cups available) ended up walking straight to the Aquaman theater. I quickly decided I could not bear her chomping, the inevitable crying of the infant, and the incessant sniffling and coughing of the 3 y/o, so I ducked in to see Bumblebee instead. Not sure if I was a winner in the end as Bumblebee was mediocre at best.
    Still have not seen Aquaman. And the only "review" I have is from an older female co-worker who said "Jason Momoa was sexy."

AQUAMAN
    2/5
    Jason Momoa may be charismatic as hell, but even he can’t save this way too long and way too heavily CGI dependent origin yarn from being nothing more than a ho-hum entry in the DC cinematic universe. The weak dialogue, peppered with flat one-liner “jokes” and earnest chit-chat doesn’t help matters, either.
    Granted, there are a few engaging battle sequences (the opening submarine assault) and some of the production design and costumes are really cool, specifically the Atlantis Guards battle suits, which make the Empire’s Stormtroopers look like toy soldiers. The creatures from The Trench and the Brine Kingdom denizens are equally creative, but much of the rest of the film is filled with generic looking giant sharks, giant alligators, and an uninspiring Kraken. Yet with all the advances in special effects the filmmakers failed at making Temuera Morrison (who plays Aquaman’s dad) look decent in the opening segments. The CG age reduction employed to make him look younger is horrible and his hair resembles a plastic Devo wig. Funnily enough though, most of the hair on the actors when they are “underwater” is CG and it actually looks pretty damn real, so not sure how they messed up the landlubbers ‘do. Oh, and Black Manta, who looks cool-as-f$%k in the comic books, looks completely ridiculous here, with his overgrown helmet head and a voice that rivals The Dark Knight Rises’ Bane in terms of being completely unintelligible to the audience.
    There are a few casting surprises in the forms of Dolph Lundgren, Willem Dafoe, and Julie Andrews, but even their presence and the camera’s love for Momoa can’t elevate this film above luke warm temperature.
    In the end Aquaman is one of those films that believes loud and consistent explosions and mind-numbingly “epic” scenes of CGI induced battles are more important than a solid story and good, intelligent dialogue.

RIYL: Justice League; Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice; Wonder Woman, Green Lantern; The Man of Steel