Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

bibs vs pants for touring

I've always been a pants guy but am contemplating bibs for a little better weather protection on cold/snowy days and more chest pocket options. However, the two concerns I have for touring are that they get too hot and strap interference with my pack straps. I would likely go with full length zips to mitigate heat (I do tend to run pretty warm) but wonder about pack interference. Bibs are obviously heavier, but I don't know that it would make a big difference for clothing vs ski/boot/binding weight.

Thoughts?

Try on stuff if you’re able

Nip irritation can be a thing with the wrong bib layout

Running hot has always kept me away from bibs. I just feel like I would sweat so much more. Currently run softshell pants and don't add long underwear til single digits.
    It sucks to suck.

Try before buying.

Bibs do run a little warmer than pants but it's easily managed with good venting and intelligent layering. I run very warm when skinning and don't have any issue provided the vents are good (ie vents on both sides of the leg).

Bib strap/pack strap interference depends on the fit and design of the bib. As long as the adjuster buckles sit on your chest when adjusted correctly, you should be fine.

You won't notice the weight.

Beacon carry in front chest bib pocket is awesome, as is not needing a belt (which always chafed against the bottom of the pack for me).

I'm currently running Flylow Baker bibs for midwinter/cold days and Trew Roam 3/4 bibs for spring/warm days. Both have excellent venting and the straps play nicely with pack straps. I've also used Strafe Nomad bibs in the past and they were good too.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Flylow Baker bibs
    zips on both sides of each leg = good ventilation

Good input so far, thanks. Nipple chafe would be no bueno! And hadn't thought about not having to use a belt, that would be nice regarding waistbelt interference.

I would stick with my Mammut Champ softshell pants for spring touring and warmer days in general. I have been looking at the Flylow Baker and the Planks Yeti Hunter.

X2 on everything adrenalated said.

I'm a huge fan of chest pockets for beacon and whatever else I put want to put in there. Good pocket size / placement is important though, and plenty of bibs fall short in that category. I also like bibs where the upper can be removed - sometimes I'll just use them as pants in warmer weather.

I wore bibs for years and only recently (about 4 years ago) switched to pants both in my full goretex shells and my softshells. I did it mostly because I simply found no benefit to the bibs and I run very hot and sweat a ton. Both my softshell and gore pants have super thin built in and easily removable suspenders since I find it uncomfortable to cinch the waist tight to keep pants up. OK, so that was one benefit, to me, of bibs.

bibs vs pants for touring

I’ve been in a pair of trewth bibs for 8 years now and they have been pretty good for touring. Having all the extras pockets is absolutely killer for keeping items you want on your person at all times so you can ditch the jacket when you get too warm. The outside leg zips help them breath really nicely on the way up, just wish they had some inner thigh zips as well. When I first started wearing them I definitely fell victim to the dreaded nipple chafing, but found that as long as I wear a baselayer top (typically under armour or HH) I never have a problem. Or you can always check these out haha:

https://nipeaze.com/

Pros and cons seem fairly well laid out.

Pros
    Bibs: better snow protection, nice for beacon pocket
    Pants: better temperature regulation

I don't run all that hot, but I do like to keep things cool. For me that would mean bibs would not be my choice with temperatures above 20*. So I bought pants because they can cover everything. My purchase choice this Fall was Dynafit Aeon a true soft shell with side zips and an arcade belt. East Coast is storming so had them out 7 times already this year and very pleased with the set up. M was nicely cut (not too euro, not too tall T)

Pants with suspenders instead of a belt. Powder bibs for cold snowy days. Fart bag for REALLY cold snowy days.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

never Fart bags for touring

I run hot I have haven't worn a shell jacket in years touring with bibs. With a polartec wind pro fleece jacket I get perfect temperature regulation and my core is protected from wind by the bibs. The sweat just rises up without a shell to hold it. There's really no cons.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    never Fart bags for touring
    i wonder if there's some vapor barrier enthusiast who's all about getting sweaty in a visqueen fartbag

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Pants with suspenders instead of a belt.
    No belt is great with bibs. It feels really freeing and no worries on diligent tucking. I have been toying with the idea of everyday work pants with suspenders. What suspenders are you using for skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP INTRO View Post
    No belt is great with bibs. It feels really freeing and no worries on diligent tucking. I have been toying with the idea of everyday work pants with suspenders. What suspenders are you using for skiing?
    The cheapest ones at your local thrift shop. Ideally they have red this time of year.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP INTRO View Post
    The kind Walmart sells, Dickies I think...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I'm pretty skinny so a belt doesn't quite hold up ski touring pants , IME the suspenders that come on Arcteryx soft shell pants work great and are pretty minimalist

They hook to loops sewn into the top of the pants so I had the same loops sewn into my patagonnia soft shell pants so now they stay up

YMMV but Bibs are too hot for touring IME
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Like others have said, the pros and cons are pretty clear. Personally, I love my bibs for inbounds, but prefer pants for touring, at least at the time of this writing. YMMV.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I also run hot. I tour with pants. Bibs are too hot.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I have some Helly Hansen bibs from a couple years back that are thin fabric for the shell (but still 3 layer membrane) and then a thin soft shell from the bib perfect. They are the most perfect bib for winter touring, because I don't get hot but also don't get snow in places it should not be. They were actually a little too cold for lift riding without extra layers underneath, but great to hike in.

Just picked up the Strafe Nomad bibs today...the Event material ends at the waist and the bib part is a thinner material that seem more breathable. I've never understood extending the WPB material past the waist. Hopefully these are a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Just picked up the Strafe Nomad bibs today...the Event material ends at the waist and the bib part is a thinner material that seem more breathable. I've never understood extending the WPB material past the waist. Hopefully these are a good compromise.
    How steezy is the fit?

I use BD Dawn Patrol Hybrid Bibs for winter touring and they are THE SHIT. Waterproof ass and parts of the legs, Schoeller everywhere else. Fully waterproof bibs are definitely too warm for me in anything above 20 degrees, but the BDs are comfy well above that. Discontinued, and deeply wish someone made something like it.

I have a bib where the bib-part can be zipped of. Best of both worlds really. Its by a small Swiss brand called Penguin. Dont other companies make something similar?

norrona has similar offerings.

BUT I think you don't get the comfort of a real bib as the fit is very differnt and you still have all the loops for the belt interfering with a backpack and a snug fit on the hips. Also I find it hard to get the suspenders working for real if it is a pats fit. Otherwise this penguin stuff looks really nice.