Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western MT
    Posts
    1,431
    I like the removable top idea, or at least a fold down option with belt loops if needed. That Penguin stuff looks really nice, but I don't see U.S. options.

    How well do interior thigh vents vs cross flow vs full zip ventilation options work?

    It looks like a lot of the options offer inner thigh zips. The reviews on Norrona support what LeoK said about weird fit, nice looking stuff though.

    Also, I didn't clarify in my original post but these will be for cold and/or storm day touring pants or for tours where I will be tenting it overnight, but will also be for lift served duty. I like my Schoeller softshells for warmer/non-stormy touring days. Kind of wishing those were bibs now though, ha.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,345
    Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    I have a bib where the bib-part can be zipped of. Best of both worlds really. Its by a small Swiss brand called Penguin. Dont other companies make something similar?
    I had some marmot ones like that.

    Been in Trewth Bibs for a few years and love em, inbounds or touring. Easy to vent, and the heat rises into your jacket without a belt so opening the jacket. I like the Flylow ones with double venting might try them next. Thought the straps would interfere with a pack but they really don't, and I feel like a belt on non bibs interferes more with the hip belt than anything.

    Never thought I'd be a bib guy but after a few seasons in em, don't really want to go back to pants except when spring hits and I'm not wearing a shell most of the time. Bibs w/o jacket just looks weird.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western MT
    Posts
    1,431
    Anyone familiar with Planks stuff? In particular, looking at the Yeti Hunter Bib. It looks a little warm with the non-mesh upper back part but seems pretty bomber and found a good price.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Never thought I'd be a bib guy but after a few seasons in em, don't really want to go back to pants except when spring hits and I'm not wearing a shell most of the time. Bibs w/o jacket just looks weird.
    Agree. That's why I always go for apres with skins tucked in my bibs so everyone knows I'm core.

    Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    2,737
    With bibs i find that i get sweaty around the waist and lower chest.

    And if you put stuff in the chest pocket, doesn't it make you look fat?

    Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    9,064
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    I like the removable top idea, or at least a fold down option with belt loops if needed. That Penguin stuff looks really nice, but I don't see U.S. options.

    How well do interior thigh vents vs cross flow vs full zip ventilation options work?

    .
    Cross ventilation is nice for airflow, but any time I have an open vent on the outside of my leg, I end up getting snow in it at some point on the tour. And that snow drops down my leg, into my boot, and then melts leaving me with a wet foot. A few brands put mesh in the vent, which mostly prevents that, but those are hard to find.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,345
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    With bibs i find that i get sweaty around the waist and lower chest.

    And if you put stuff in the chest pocket, doesn't it make you look fat?

    Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app
    the proper term is "Thicc"

  8. #33
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    12,469
    how can you put out the vibe if your bibs don't show your bulge?

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,582
    IMO cross flow venting is FAR more effective for actually cooling you down than any other type of vent. Full length vents are a distant second, followed by interior vents.
    I don't have the snow getting in my pants problem with outside vents but I rarely open the vents lower than my knee and it doesn't snow in Colorado so I'm not dealing with deep snow.

    As far as the "bibs run warm" thing, yes they do keep you a little bit warmer around the core. So use lighter layers than you would with pants. I used to wear a midweight baselayer with a light insulating layer or light softshell on top. Now I wear the same baselayer with an extremely thin, very breathable windshirt and that's it. Shell is in my pack and goes on at the top either way, I run way too warm to skin in a shell, ever. Unless you're 1) touring somewhere wet enough that you have no choice but to skin in your shell or 2) are already skinning in just a t-shirt, you can alter your layering to compensate for the fact that the bibs are slightly warmer.

    Bibs without a shell may look weird but let's be honest, I look weird regardless of what I'm wearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,345
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    IMO cross flow venting is FAR more effective for actually cooling you down than any other type of vent. Full length vents are a distant second, followed by interior vents.
    I don't have the snow getting in my pants problem with outside vents but I rarely open the vents lower than my knee and it doesn't snow in Colorado so I'm not dealing with deep snow.

    As far as the "bibs run warm" thing, yes they do keep you a little bit warmer around the core. So use lighter layers than you would with pants. I used to wear a midweight baselayer with a light insulating layer or light softshell on top. Now I wear the same baselayer with an extremely thin, very breathable windshirt and that's it. Shell is in my pack and goes on at the top either way, I run way too warm to skin in a shell, ever. Unless you're 1) touring somewhere wet enough that you have no choice but to skin in your shell or 2) are already skinning in just a t-shirt, you can alter your layering to compensate for the fact that the bibs are slightly warmer.

    Bibs without a shell may look weird but let's be honest, I look weird regardless of what I'm wearing.
    I just mean skiing downhill in bibs w/o a shell is weird. Skinning is obviously shell less unless cold/snowing. Also, in case of crash or avalanche, you should be wearing some sort of shell on the way down(and up for that matter in any terrain). Imagine getting buried in a slide or a tree well without your shell on. Ugh. Slide would rip them right off.

    Netting in vents is the dumbest thing ever IMHO, why restrict airflow that you opened the vents for in the first place? Just be careful or don't open vents all the way.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,582
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I just mean skiing downhill in bibs w/o a shell is weird. Skinning is obviously shell less unless cold/snowing. Also, in case of crash or avalanche, you should be wearing some sort of shell on the way down(and up for that matter in any terrain). Imagine getting buried in a slide or a tree well without your shell on. Ugh. Slide would rip them right off.

    Netting in vents is the dumbest thing ever IMHO, why restrict airflow that you opened the vents for in the first place? Just be careful or don't open vents all the way.
    Agreed on both counts. Also, with no netting in vents, you can use that space for quick on-the-go storage of things like hat and gloves that you might want to take off for awhile and put back on while moving. Take hat off, stuff it in your pant leg, keep moving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    8,345
    I had a snowboard jacket once that had a second zipper on the netting itself. Stupid snowboarders.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western MT
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Agreed on both counts. Also, with no netting in vents, you can use that space for quick on-the-go storage of things like hat and gloves that you might want to take off for awhile and put back on while moving. Take hat off, stuff it in your pant leg, keep moving.
    adrenalated, I ran across an old post of yours while researching regarding some strafe pants you bought in 2013 w/gelanots fabric. IF you remember/used those do you recall how that material held up? I ran across a brand new pair of 13/14 Strafe Nomad bibs for super cheap.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fairhaven
    Posts
    50
    I'm a big fan of mid-low bibs to reduce the bulk around the waist and also to reduce reliance on a powder skirt in the jacket. I had a pair of the new OR Hemisphere bibs but sent them back because they shipped me one size too small. They were pretty nice but not quite my ideal bib. I also have a pair of Arcteryx Theta SV bibs which are also really nice but miss the mark on a couple of things. Burton bibs look really close to perfect but I haven't had a pair to try out.

    FWIW my experiences are all based on PNW snow with a mix of touring, lifts, and sled access snowboarding and winter mountaineering.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,582
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    adrenalated, I ran across an old post of yours while researching regarding some strafe pants you bought in 2013 w/gelanots fabric. IF you remember/used those do you recall how that material held up? I ran across a brand new pair of 13/14 Strafe Nomad bibs for super cheap.
    I still have two pairs of Nomad pants. 12/13 and 13/14, I think.
    Both pairs have a bunch of days and are still kicking. I did have the zipper between the bib and the pant fail on both pairs, almost immediately. That's why I have two pairs, Strafe kindly replaced the first pair then I just took both pairs to a seamstress and had burlier zippers installed.
    The 12/13 pant is the only pair of bibs I've tried that didn't work with a pack. The buckles are in the way. The 13/14 is fine, and has better venting.
    Overall the fabric is showing some wear on the 13/14 pant but they are still fine functionally. The fabric is definitely not as burly as something like a Flylow Baker bib but it's held up well.
    Other than the one zipper that sucked, I was/am happy with the pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Mountain West
    Posts
    4,393
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I still have two pairs of Nomad pants. 12/13 and 13/14, I think.
    Both pairs have a bunch of days and are still kicking. I did have the zipper between the bib and the pant fail on both pairs, almost immediately. That's why I have two pairs, Strafe kindly replaced the first pair then I just took both pairs to a seamstress and had burlier zippers installed.
    The 12/13 pant is the only pair of bibs I've tried that didn't work with a pack. The buckles are in the way. The 13/14 is fine, and has better venting.
    Overall the fabric is showing some wear on the 13/14 pant but they are still fine functionally. The fabric is definitely not as burly as something like a Flylow Baker bib but it's held up well.
    Other than the one zipper that sucked, I was/am happy with the pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Just picked up the Strafe Nomad bibs today...the Event material ends at the waist and the bib part is a thinner material that seem more breathable. I've never understood extending the WPB material past the waist. Hopefully these are a good compromise.
    not sure that the strafe are convertible , but be careful with convertible bibs with a zipper to remove the upper bib part because it does not stretch....so the waist where the zipper is located is static so , even if bib or pants are softshell and stretch, that zipper in the middle running horizontally around the waist will not....
    Made in Colorado Tech wear:

    www.freeridesystems.com
    20% Maggot Discount Code = 'MAGGOT20'

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western MT
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I still have two pairs of Nomad pants. 12/13 and 13/14, I think.
    Both pairs have a bunch of days and are still kicking. I did have the zipper between the bib and the pant fail on both pairs, almost immediately. That's why I have two pairs, Strafe kindly replaced the first pair then I just took both pairs to a seamstress and had burlier zippers installed.
    The 12/13 pant is the only pair of bibs I've tried that didn't work with a pack. The buckles are in the way. The 13/14 is fine, and has better venting.
    Overall the fabric is showing some wear on the 13/14 pant but they are still fine functionally. The fabric is definitely not as burly as something like a Flylow Baker bib but it's held up well.
    Other than the one zipper that sucked, I was/am happy with the pants.
    Great input, thanks. How are they fit wise? Pretty standard or run big/small?

    MiCol, good point on the zipper. It appears that the newer Strafe is not convertible but the older versions were.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    12,469
    only thing i haven't liked about the baker bib is that the fabric weave carries some snow instead of shedding it all

    i did a wash & reapplication of dwr this season & first day was carrying snow on my cuff

    not big clumping bits like a dogs fur, but enough that it falls off into my shoes when changing out at the truck

    this is pnw, not sure if this affects interior snow folks

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,582
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Great input, thanks. How are they fit wise? Pretty standard or run big/small?

    MiCol, good point on the zipper. It appears that the newer Strafe is not convertible but the older versions were.
    I'm 5'9" 145lbs. 31x32 in jeans
    Sizes that fit me:
    12/13 Nomad pant small
    13/14 Nomad pant medium
    17/18 Trew Roam medium
    18/19 Flylow Baker small (medium would have also worked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Portland by way of Bozeman
    Posts
    2,899
    Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    how can you put out the vibe if your bibs don't show your bulge?
    This is important

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    19,080
    just going to point out its your fork that makes you look fat
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    adrenalated, I ran across an old post of yours while researching regarding some strafe pants you bought in 2013 w/gelanots fabric. IF you remember/used those do you recall how that material held up? I ran across a brand new pair of 13/14 Strafe Nomad bibs for super cheap.
    I have those too. Been holding up well with 400+ days a season. Not sure which year I had but the buckles were really bulky and close to the top of the shoulder. They did not work with backpacks, so I cut them and stitched the straps to my height. Gelanots is interesting, it really is kinda in between softshell and membrane shell. They wet out if you sit on wet snow (but so does everything else), but they are ok in rain, they are soft and light. I would definitely pick up another pair. Steez fit. I can fit my skins and a pair of snowblades in them.

    Does anyone else make gelanots bibs?

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,297
    If I never wear pants again I'll be a happy man.

    Bibs with full zips


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The Charmed app lets you tinder for your friends

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    400+ days a season.
    Goodness

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western MT
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Goodness
    daught is gettin' after it and warping time!

    Thanks for the input all. I snagged a pair of older Strafe Nomads new with tags for $145 shipped!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •