Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Will Paid "POW Parking" at Squaw Adversely Effect POW as an Organization?

I'm a HUGE fan of Protect Our Winters and am thankful for all the work the Jones' and the organization are doing to impact climate change through legislative lobbying. If you're reading this, a big thanks!

Requiring three-to-a-car in most of the Squaw lot is a good way to promote carpooling and reduce congestion and could save Alterra the need to build a $50m+ parking garage. I get it. Another benefit of carpooling is reduced VMT and therefore reduced CO2 emissions. However, if climate stewardship was the main reason for the initiative, rich people would not be able to buy their way out of the carpool rule for $30/car. The idea that rich people can buy their way out of being good climate stewards is how we got into this mess!

Furthermore, it does not appear than a EVs are able to utilize the parking area. Carpooling is great, but electrification of cars and trucks is absolutely mandatory if we think we even have a fighting chance against climate change. Someone can pay for a spot in "POW," but EVs park with the coal rollers?

Based on those two glaring issues, adding "POW" to the name looks like nothing more than greenwashing, and the big cost here is the name and reputation of the non-profit. In this case, many guests will likely leave the mountain thinking "I hate POW." Most people are down to work with their resort to get to the mountain faster, and tons of mountains have carpool parking lots already. It's a great incentive.

Pay-for "sustainable" parking doesn't quite pass the sniff test. Kinda smells like Dick Cheney. Will Alterra's profit cost POW its reputation?

https://squawalpine.com/explore/more...g/?tab=ui-id-2

Agree

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by shaft View Post
    I'm a HUGE fan of Protect Our Winters and am thankful for all the work the Jones' and the organization are doing to impact climate change through legislative lobbying. If you're reading this, a big thanks!

Requiring three-to-a-car in most of the Squaw lot is a good way to promote carpooling and reduce congestion and could save Alterra the need to build a $50m+ parking garage. I get it. Another benefit of carpooling is reduced VMT and therefore reduced CO2 emissions. However, if climate stewardship was the main reason for the initiative, rich people would not be able to buy their way out of the carpool rule for $30/car. The idea that rich people can buy their way out of being good climate stewards is how we got into this mess!

Furthermore, it does not appear than a EVs are able to utilize the parking area. Carpooling is great, but electrification of cars and trucks is absolutely mandatory if we think we even have a fighting chance against climate change. Someone can pay for a spot in "POW," but EVs park with the coal rollers?

Based on those two glaring issues, adding "POW" to the name looks like nothing more than greenwashing, and the big cost here is the name and reputation of the non-profit. In this case, many guests will likely leave the mountain thinking "I hate POW." Most people are down to work with their resort to get to the mountain faster, and tons of mountains have carpool parking lots already. It's a great incentive.

Pay-for "sustainable" parking doesn't quite pass the sniff test. Kinda smells like Dick Cheney. Will Alterra's profit cost POW its reputation?

https://squawalpine.com/explore/more...g/?tab=ui-id-2
    Totally agree and felt the same way about utahs "carpool" lane, which you can drive in alone if you pay a "toll". Defeats the entire purpose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

It will be a nightmare of Ikonic proportions! The uniformed circling for parking, a line to pay, etc.

But in the spirit of saving the planet, if anyone is in Alpine Meadow headed to Squaw and want to make at least a threesome, hit me up!

Agree also. WTF POW?

Money talks and they say everything is for sale. If you can buy a politician why can’t you buy a parking spot or a special lane on the highway? It’s the American way.

Do you have to back into the spots?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I agree, but *unpopular opinion* it's well past time for paid parking at most ski areas in North America.

Does the money paid go to POW? As a general policy I’m on board with paid parking at ski areas with a free pass for car poolers 3+. Seams like an effective way to encourage carpooling. Better than status quo. I am at mountain solo at least half the time due to schedule. Could get spendy. Do dogs count?

Let’s add a discount for having snow tires. Too many shit shows where cars are idling for hours on the roads to from mountain.

However all this extra tire consuming and people all flying around taking advantage of the ikon pass and such. We are doomed

Amen.

What are they doing with the $30? If they use it to subsidize some form of group or employee transit, seems fine to me.

Rich people love to spend money, when I worked the paid lot at Big Sky, guys would tip or pay double just to get a good spot in the paid lot...like 10 ft closer to the exit.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I agree, but *unpopular opinion* it's well past time for paid parking at most ski areas in North America.
    This is probably correct. But if implemented locally, I'd end up kind of fucked.

Why are you charging for parking? What is the money used for?If we want to change behavior, we know we need to do more than just offer free carpool parking. While there is lots of it (4,200 free spots), our parking is a valuable resource. We are giving a value to our most prime parking by offering it at a price or for free for carpoolers. Ideally, no one will be paying for parking and the 800 parking spots at Squaw / 50 parking spots at Alpine reserved for POW Parking will be full of guests who carpooled and parked for free. Paid parking is a revenue source that helps us to pay for the staff and infrastructure that are an important part of the program. POW Carpool parking is no longer on an honor system—we now have parking attendants that are checking in with each vehicle that comes to the lot.
    All spots are designated for carpool or paid patrons. If we successfully change people’s behavior, and the lot is primarily utilized for car pool, we will continue operating this program at a loss. Our goal continues to be to mitigate congestion in our area.
    We have always had a paid parking program at Squaw Valley. This is not a new concept here. This program replaces valet parking that we offered in the past. But we still believe there is more we can do to impact the traffic situation and manage our parking resources responsibly. In the past, the POW Carpool Parking program has removed about 7,200 cars from the road annually. Now, with a program that is larger and monitored by our staff, we expect that number to be much higher. We know this won’t eliminate the traffic problem, but we think it’s a really important step. Most other large resorts around the country have a combination of paid, free and carpool parking. We are utilizing our parking resource in a way that makes sense for our business, our guests and our environment.
    Tl;DR, the money is not going to POW it is going to Squaw Valley. Generally speaking fees, taxes, and other charges even if billed under the idea that they are helping make things "green" are almost always designed to generate revenue first and change behaviour second.

Quote Originally Posted by SP_7 View Post
    if anyone is in Alpine Meadow headed to Squaw and want to make at least a threesome, hit me up!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post

Let’s add a discount for having snow tires.
    Hang on, Klauss might be on to something here. Snow tires gets you front row free parking. Summer tires gets you paid parking with a 1/4 mile walk, no bus shuttle. sending an email to CDOT, Vail and Alterra now!

If revenue from the $30 fee is just going to Squaw valley's general budget, and nothing specific, then why is POW involved?

Sounds like Squaw is using their logo for public perception whilst continue to hoover cash wherever they can. I know that Protect Our Winters is trying from an honest place, but it sounds like they got the short end of the deal on this.

So do the hitchhikers I pick up on the way to the hill get a cut of the $30 I save?

I can't take POW seriously as an organization when they have ambassadors who are very fortunate to live in areas with amazing backyards, yet they still promote intercontinental air travel.

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    I can't take POW seriously as an organization when they have ambassadors who are very fortunate to live in areas with amazing backyards, yet they still promote intercontinental air travel.
    I completely agree, the only professional who seems to actually walk the walk is Greg Hill using his EV and human powered travel. I can't stand the hypocrisy of most of the POW members talking about climate change while using helicopters, snowmobiles, and global travel to go skiing. I respect organizations that lead by example instead of paying lip-service to their cause.

I'm all for preferred parking and/or discounts for drivers that both carpool and shod their vehicles with the appropriate tires. That would do wonders for the regular parking lots that occur on Hwy 26 on Mt Hood.

How else can you protect winter if you're not out there getting rad and showing people how awesome winter is... (said in a very sarcastic voice).

Reminds of me some douche I overheard talking to a girl at a bar about how he was eco conscious and was buying carbon offset credits to offset his purchase of a porsche.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

I think POW has lots of hypocrisy. I know numerous board members and members alike, who fly private and are using rotary aircraft to ski.
    Those two vehicles burn more fuel and damage the environment more than most. So they should put their money where their mouth is, and curtail their usage.

Just saying.

Greg Hill may be the only POW ambassador that has taken significant steps to reduce his carbon foot print. dude almost exclusively drives an electric car now, keeps it local and turns down trips aboard, and gets veggie 5x a week.

The rest of the ambassadors and board members have HUGE carbon footprints. If these are the people that are "protecting our winters," we are fucked. Just attaching their name to this squaw valley money grab makes them lose more credibility.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I hope Alterra isn't going to fuck up the existing paid parking at Xtal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........