Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    #3 in my mind. Vivian Bruchez "Downside Up" is #2 after "La Liste" IMHO. [Edit I see your caveat about "flying more than skiing" now -- so I guess Downside Up doesn't really qualify]

But they're just different movies. La Liste was about a project -- skiing a set of steep lines really fast; Born in Cham was about a skier playing in his home mountain range. Different approaches, and I don't know if the hype or comparisons were fair. To me, Tof Henry's style (and the movie) seems like a middle ground between pushing the limits of steep skiing and skiing steep lines fast. If you believe the sentiment of the movie (and I'm not saying I do), Tof wasn't out to scare himself or really push the limits of skiing -- he was just trying to ride lines in his style. At least, that's my take as an outsider. I'm sure other people with insider knowledge (peds, etc) would have a different perspective.

Also, I'd be curiuos to see the budget differences between La Liste and Born in Cham. My guess is most of the filming for La Liste was professionally done via heli while Born in Cham was mostly self-filmed via drone and Go Pro.
    All fair points.
    Ultimately I think I'm biased against Cham locals and their attitude. Even Alta bros don't have that big a chip on their shoulder and that's saying something...

I really liked it. I'm not gonna rank it against La Liste. For better or worse, Cham is Cham. The birth place of extreme. Luckily, if the scene ain't for you, there are a thousand other places in the Alps where you can get as rad as you want without the fan fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I really liked it. I'm not gonna rank it against La Liste. For better or worse, Cham is Cham. The birth place of extreme. Luckily, if the scene ain't for you, there are a thousand other places in the Alps where you can get as rad as you want without the fan fare.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    The biggest difference I saw with La Liste was the attitude towards the mere mortals who are trying to get after it in the steeps and don't have the balls to sent it super-G style. These guys seem really dismissive of anyone who isn't doing things in what they consider the proper style. That seemed to extend to the pioneers of steep skiing who went after all these lines in bad conditions and that really bothers me. In La Liste Jeremy spends a fair amount of time framing his project as an evolution of / building on what the old timers started but he never once shits on what they did. He seems to get all emotional when he repeats one of the lines (can't remember which) in great conditions some 30 years after the first descent and he comments endlessly on how badass the first generation of steep skiers was. Very different vibe with Tof and his bros and no amount of soul reggae and platitudes is gonna wash that off. Cham locals though. Having grown up in one of the "inferior" resorts in the next valley over I can't say the attitude is all that surprising.

TLDR - great visuals, badass skiing, just enough spray to make it a distant #2 as far as movies about people who are flying more than they're skiing.
    Yeah, that bothered me as well. I used to search out as much as I could on guys like Vallencant and Baud before this internet age and try to learn their turn. I would practice on the backside of a whaleback (which by the way is great way to teach kids steep skiing) And the other thing is today we're on cheater skis...make those turns on old school 208 GS boards and see how he does.

Still, the guy rips and is an incredibly impressive skier. Hope he knows when to throttle it back.

Bit of a thread drift but la Liste came up a bunch and this popped up on my news feed: Jérémie Heitz challenges former American World Cup alpine ski racer Daron Rahlves to a head-to-head giant slalom race
    Gate spacing makes it look a bit more like a DH to me...

That looks kind of dumb.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Thought it was a rad film... haven't watched La Liste since it came out (loved it too) but I remember the lines not having as much exposure? As in Jeremie was skiing them out the bottom a lot of the time... will go rewatch for context.

I wanted to see more monoskiing

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Not skiing related but no thanks to wife in the credits just the son and everyone else. Bold and the beautiful peanut gallery observations

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Tof wasn't out to scare himself or really push the limits of skiing -- he was just trying to ride lines in his style. At least, that's my take as an outsider. I'm sure other people with insider knowledge (peds, etc) would have a different perspective.
    I've hardly ever skied with Tof, and only then behind him, much more slowly, so I certainly can't claim any insider knowledge. But I kind of get the feeling that Tof doesn't get scared. I've seen him angry or upset, but never scared.

Quote Originally Posted by phallic-menace View Post
    Not skiing related but no thanks to wife in the credits just the son and everyone else. Bold and the beautiful peanut gallery observations
    The wife from whom he is separated and currently not on the best of terms with because of a love triangle with a local cinematographer. Why do you expect a thank you to the wife?
    None of my business to comment, and neither is it any of yours.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    I liked it.

Made me second guess my career as an SRE/programmer. If I had just moved to cham when I was 18 (when I was thinking about it) I could have been dead already.
    Like.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I wanted to see more monoskiing
    Custom hand made Monoskis in Washington. www.whiteknucklemonoskis.com
    All things related to Monoskiing www.monoski.net

^^thanks!

I enjoyed monoskiing.

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    I lent Tof my 21cm ice screw in the queue for the Midi before he went to ski the north face of the Aiguille du Plan with Mikko and Jesper, and well over six months later he STILL hasn't given it back.

Until he gives back my ice screw, I cannot endorse any project of his.

Film looks rad though, because that's just who Tof is.

But give me back my ice screw, dick.
    Judging by the footage in the film, him and Douds just left two ice screws in the north face of the Triolet rather than making V-threads; probably why he has to "borrow" them.

Bump. New 2020 Tof vid that's pretty sick:

Says a lot about cham that half of the lines even tof only skis 100m of fresh untill he comes onto tracks. And those courmayeur faces are nice but suuper scary if they have fresh snow. (which is only right after a dump basically)
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Link didn't work for me and I can't find the vid on his YT channel.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Link didn't work for me and I can't find the vid on his YT channel.
    Bizzare, it was on Aramada's YT page. It looks like they took it down.

Can't seem to get Vimeo to embed, but it's posted here: https://player.vimeo.com/video/495010619

People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

Anyone know why they took the new vid down? And he seems to have deleted his IG post about it... weird. Figured it was a music rights thing maybe.

Video is back up, new music I guess. More of Tof skiing fast as fuck...