Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Could you stop eating meat?

I love me some carne asada, tri tip or tenderloin, but over the years I have found myself getting really bummed out when I stop and think about man killing mammals and that includes cow mo's.
    Has anyone else quit meat and just stuck with poultry and seafood? I am thinking this will be harder than quitting smoking.
    Flame suit on, just don't burn up the tree I am hugging.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Yup. Was a vegetarian for about a decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I could pretty easily give up beef etc but I think I'd rather die than stop eating fried chicken

I did 26 years ago.

Why the special regard for mammals?

No

Selectively choosing to stop eating mammals while continuing to consume other forms of animal protein seems irrational to me.

I'm all in on meat-eating and don't intend to give it up.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Has anyone else quit meat and just stuck with poultry and seafood?
    Poultry is meat. Fish is meat, notwithstanding the Catholic definition carveout. Invertebrates? Hmmmm, that's a closer call.

I stopped eating meat (although ate invertebrates) for 2+ years decades ago. No big deal. I could do it again, but why? Honey sometimes urges that we cut down on meat.

I think it's a bigger crime to be eating seafood during a time of critically depleted fish stocks. Poultry though, they're doing fine.

I could easily quit meat. But I could also easily quite drinking beer. I don't see either happening any time soon.

I don't care about mammals at all. I originally did it for the environment, industrialized farming and such is the biggest cause of climate change. Now it looks like the climate won't drastically change in a meaningful (to me) way during my lifetime. But I don't miss eating mammals so why bother.

Edit Im a pescatarian.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Why the special regard for mammals?
    Years ago I read that early Abrahamic religions distinguished various forms of animal flesh, classified some as meat, some not. And there's the Jewish pork/shellfish thing and the Hindu cow thing.

Changed to a mostly meat and vege stirfry type diet about three months ago and it's level changed my health game for the better. They can pull the meat portion of my diet outta my cold dead hands. Not worried about the ethics/environmental stuff in the long run...they're already growing meat in petri dishes so eventually it'll be all good.
    Master of mediocrity.

I did. Not a big deal. About a decade ago.

Not religious about it. Slip ups occur, sometimes intentionally sometimes not. Mostly fish when in the fishing village my mom lives at. Got no moral qualms about eating meat occassionally. Significant concerns about what eating it regularly means for environment. (Note: that don't apply at all if you're out there producing or hunting your own meat, eat the fuck away.) Although when I'm playing with my pup and realize the pig in the bacon is multiple times more intelligent, that can momentarily fuck me up.

Used to be bummed mostly about missing burgers. But Beyond Burgers are fuckin' legit. Don't trust resturants though -- they cook them and impossible burgers way too much.

MEAT.

If you want to be slightly more ethical aboot it, commit to eating meat only if you know exactly where it comes from.

And another step beyond that is to only eat that which you have harvested yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I think it's a bigger crime to be eating seafood during a time of critically depleted fish stocks.
    yeah - fish stocks are hurting and getting worse almost everywhere in the world.

as for eating meat - what kind, how is it sourced? round these parts there's an overabundance of deer with few predators to manage the numbers. no great crime to have some venison.

gone weeks without eating meat, but never committed to anything as such.

Yes.

I've been vegetarian, vegan (after a cholesterol scare), lacto-ovo and only rarely now, like 6-8 times a year, eat beef.

I'm not so concerned about animals rights stuff now, although 50 years ago I was after having taken care of calves at a dairy for a summer.

Now it's more about health and aside from other dietary h00haw, I mistrust the American beefstream as being clogged with antibiotics, uric acid and poor processing. Admittedly, I have access now to my inlaws farm raised beef that's well fed mostly on grass and hay and have pretty nice pasture life with a quick death. But I still eat it rarely, no pun intended.

A college buddy I knew now runs a small abattoir, a rendering plant and rightly points out that many breeds of animals wouldn't exist were it not for farmers raising them for food.

Anyway, I do eat a relative lot of lamb, like once or twice a month. Similarly for duck, each of which aren't fucked with as much as the beefstream.

On the other hand, I probably eat pork products 6 to 8 times a month and the porkstream is as bad if not worse than the beefstream, so I'm not that militant about it.

If there's a dietary rationale that appeals to you, try it on for a while. Just remember that duck is the bacon of the bird world.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I've cut back on meat significantly. When you plan your meals in advance, it's easier. I don't have any meat on the menu for this week, for example. I'm far from being a true vegetarian, but I try to remind myself that cheap meats are cheap because the cost of cruel or gross conditions are passed to the animals rather than the consumer and the environmental costs are not reflected in the price, either.

Scope out the price of the hippy dippyest free range chicken breast and compare it to the cost of the big factory farmed one. Gross.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I did. Not a big deal. About a decade ago.

Not religious about it. Slip ups occur, sometimes intentionally sometimes not. Mostly fish when in the fishing village my mom lives at. Got no moral qualms about eating meat occassionally. Significant concerns about what eating it regularly means for environment. (Note: that don't apply at all if you're out there producing or hunting your own meat, eat the fuck away.) Although when I'm playing with my pup and realize the pig in the bacon is multiple times more intelligent, that can momentarily fuck me up.

Used to be bummed mostly about missing burgers. But Beyond Burgers are fuckin' legit. Don't trust resturants though -- they cook them and impossible burgers way too much.
    I'm pretty much on this program for the last two years. Won't eat any meat I don't harvest myself. Sometimes I'll make exceptions for things like T-Day dinner at extended family (I ate gravy and stuffing, but not actual turkey), or if when traveling and it's logistically complicated to not eat meat.

It hasn't been as hard as I thought. I definitely gained five pounds or so by replacing lean protein with more carb-heavy proteins like beans, but I generally feel a lot better and my gut runs a lot more efficiently than when I was doing more meat/veg type diet.

If you are curious, just commit to it for a month. That's about how long it took me to find a rhythm of places to go eat and meals to cook.

Lab grown meat.

Costs have come down from the first $300 000 burger patty.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ab-grown-meat/
    Master of mediocrity.

Yes, more than a year now for me, and had cut way back for a while before that. with some exceptions for family harvested elk and moose. Environmental reasoning at first, but the morality side started sticking more with me once I stopped. It wasn't hard at all. Just have to pay attention to what kinds of amino acids are in what and you balance then out so you get your essential proteins. Also throw in some iron and B12.

I thought I'd have to eat some turkey at Thanksgiving, but as some as I got into the sides, I didn't even think about it anymore.

I think the phrase "harvesting meat" is hilarious. Why the euphemism? Call it what it is: killing animals and eating them. To be clear I'm not objecting to the practice, I just think the phrase is weird.

makes it sound digestible

I haven't eaten meat (mammals, fish, poultry, or seafood) in nearly 9 years. On Thanksgiving, I ate some crab and shrimp. I didn't really like the crab, but the shrimp was tasty. Maybe I'll keep eating shrimp...isn't most of that from a farm anyways? Do shrimp care if they die???

Couldn't bring myself to eat the prime rib or lamb. I was on the fence on the turkey...mostly bc I hate birds (except owls...those silent bringers of death that they are...owls are the best).
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think the phrase "harvesting meat" is hilarious. Why the euphemism? Call it what it is: killing animals and eating them. To be clear I'm not objecting to the practice, I just think the phrase is weird.
    Harvest shows a little more respect to the animal IMO, it's not as flippant. It's food. We harvest it from the landscape and environment. Nothing like going into ski season with a good harvest in the freezer.

Name:  harvest.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  228.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Most of how we talk about our food is euphemism. Beef instead of cow, pork instead of pig. It’s all meant to make it easier to wrap our head around. The detachment most people have from their food sources goes way beyond language.

I say harvest because saying “hunted or fished” is clumsy.

Edit: Yeahman said it better.