Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Popcorn is pretty good for you. It's all the shit people put on it that makes it, ... ahem, ... bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    As always, "can you be vegetarian" threads become "I need to justify to others my eating meat" thread.
    Yeah, I'd say vegetarians who mention their vegetarianism too much and meat eaters who talk about how much they enjoy meat are pretty much equal on the annoying scale.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah, I'd say vegetarians who mention their vegetarianism too much and meat eaters who talk about how much they enjoy meat are pretty much equal on the annoying scale.
    As a mostly vegetarian I agree on both accounts. The only thing worse is when either one of them all of a sudden feels that they have unqiue philosophical insights into the nature of life that haven't occured to others before.

As a mostly vegetarian I agree on both accounts. The only thing worse is when either one of them all of a sudden feels that they have unqiue philosophical insights into the nature of life that haven't occured to others before.
    Ya, fair enough. It's when one side starts with the holier than thou attitude I find it difficult to resist feeding the vegan trolls..........MEAT!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

As always, "can you be vegetarian" threads become "I need to justify to others my eating meat" thread.
    do we need multiple "can you be vegetarian" threads? Wouldn't one be sufficient?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    At least partly on the back of corn syrup and other synthesized sweeteners/sugars.
    US sugar consumption was well on a roll before the HFCS boogeyman entered the mainstream. "cane sugar" cocacola may taste better, but it's still garbage calories. Does beetsugar count? That's 200+ years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    When some says "Cooking" any reasonable person is referring to preparing real food in a kitchen like mom does, they don't mean -> wheat thins or fruit roll ups or cheetos. If you want to call it cooking in SJG pedantic terms, fucking have a blast but it's a dumb semantic argument.
    I dry fruit in my home and make crackers. I make sausage. I could make Tofu. I could make my own hominy on occasion. That's all "processed" shit and it's shit "mom" made. You are conflating industrial scale production with what the foodstuff is in the typical dietary jihadist sophistry.

edit: and it's amusing you used a banana as your example of "natural". there's nothing natural about the current bananas sold - they are a product of industrial agriculture.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    US sugar consumption was well on a roll before the HFCS boogeyman entered the mainstream. "cane sugar" cocacola may taste better, but it's still garbage calories. Does beetsugar count? That's 200+ years old.
    So how much difference does it make for me to drink Pepsi with "Real Sugar" instead of the regular corn syrup stuff? Still seems to keep my weight up about the same. Maybe I should start smoking cigarettes again. I was 40 pounds lighter as a half pack a day smoker..

US sugar consumption was well on a roll before the HFCS boogeyman entered the mainstream. "cane sugar" cocacola may taste better, but it's still garbage calories. Does beetsugar count? That's 200 years old.

I dry fruit in my home and make crackers. I make sausage. I could make Tofu. I could make my own hominy on occasion. That's all "processed" shit. You are conflating industrial scale production with what the foodstuff is, in the typical dietary jihadist sophistry.
    Dundee you are bang on with corn syrup and sugar.
    Processing is killing food before we even can benefit from it.

Growing up I don't remember people being as sick or ever hearing the word cancer.

I dry fruit in my home and make crackers. I make sausage. I could make Tofu. I could make my own hominy on occasion. That's all "processed" shit and it's shit "mom" made. You are conflating industrial scale production with what the foodstuff is in the typical dietary jihadist sophistry.

edit: and it's amusing you used a banana as your example of "natural". there's nothing natural about the current bananas sold - they are a product of industrial agriculture.
    I honestly don't understand the points you are trying to make. You cite your own cooking methods as "processing" which isn't the context of the discussion here; you are starting with real food and making something in your kitchen - probably not adding unnatural chemical preservatives or unwanted ingredients or bleaching things into nothingness - & in control of your what you are using & the methods. It makes zero sense if you are trying to draw a contrast. And who the fuck is arguing against that? If you wanna throw out "processed food" term, go right ahead - bring the specificity you are comfortable with - clearly you got the intended message. You latched on a small phrase and making a dying on the cross point about it.

Guess I need to go get my dietary jihadist sophistry membership card - whatever the fuck that means in your twisted little persecution complex. Hold it - maybe you are a semantics sophistry jihadist? I think I'm onto something.

That banana argument is pretty weak sauce.. Sure, those banana trees are not natural in the same way that virtually all food crops are not natural but, jumping jesus on a pogo-stick, what the fuck is going to meet that micro-death-of-a-thousand-cuts twisting standard of the word natural? It's a goddman fruit from a plant grown in the ground not a fucking taco bell chalupa. It's 'natural' enough for anyone in real world land.

Here's a quick test to know if you are being a semantic dick wad:

Guy "It's healthy to eat more natural food like bananas"
    Dick: "Bananas natural? Actually...."

Don't be fucking actually asshole.

This is on some shitty snow season kind of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Popcorn is pretty good for you. It's all the shit people put on it that makes it, ... ahem, ... bad.
    yes, and no. I used to eat a ton of microwave popcorn until I figured out it was bad for ya. Plenny of other ways to cook the corn and it's a good grain, evidently. so many tasty spices to put on corn. like the chemical cream flavors for the coffee, bad but tastes so good. https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...y-bad-for-you/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I know someone else that went out like that.. Dementia on steroids! Isn't mad cow caused by cows eating grain with beef?? i.e. cowabilism of some sort??
    You are correct. https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-topics/tu6533 "When a cow is slaughtered, parts of it are used for human food and other parts are used in animal feed. If an infected cow is slaughtered and its nerve tissue is used in cattle feed, other cows can become infected."

Not that I'm too concerned with mad cow these days, BUT it highlights another reason that feedlot cows are not the way to go if you're going to eat beef. At least when you can make a conscious decision when purchasing your meat. That's pretty disgusting that they put recycled cow into feed and feed it to the cows. WTF?! What's to say something like the mad cow epidemic couldn't happen again with another disease if not mad cow. I know it's not always an option or affordable for many, but man, for those who are able, it is REALLY nice to know exactly where your food comes from. I definitely trust the local hippie microfarmer so much more than a giant corporate feedlot/poultry/dairy operation, that's for sure.

And wow, Flowing. That's sucks about your father. I had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    +1, that's a sad story, must have been very tough on the family. Condolences.

Damn Alpy that's awful.

According to the CDC only four deaths from vCJD in the US
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Yeah, motherfucker, I eat everything. ... I eat the butt.

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    I

Here's a quick test to know if you are being a semantic dick wad:

Guy "It's healthy to eat more natural food like bananas"
    Dick: "Bananas natural? Actually...."

Don't be fucking actually asshole.
    Actually, that's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    thanks you guys!
    we didn’t find out till later but the neuro docs knew it was much more than just full blown Alzheimer’s. struck quick and hard after a possible 50 year dormancy.
    he loved a thick steak.
    That's how the guy we knew went out too. Took like 3 weeks after he was hospitalized... Horrible, awful dementia not knowing where he was, or who any of his friends and family were. He was terrified most of the time all confused and stuff. I wish that horror on no one. Bad, lethal food comes in all shapes and sizes unfortunately, lettuce most recently of course..

thanks you guys!
    we didn’t find out till later but the neuro docs knew it was much more than just full blown Alzheimer’s. struck quick and hard after a possible 50 year dormancy.
    he loved a thick steak.
    That sucks Alpy. Sorry to hear that.

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    You are correct. https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-topics/tu6533 "When a cow is slaughtered, parts of it are used for human food and other parts are used in animal feed. If an infected cow is slaughtered and its nerve tissue is used in cattle feed, other cows can become infected."

Not that I'm too concerned with mad cow these days, BUT it highlights another reason that feedlot cows are not the way to go if you're going to eat beef. At least when you can make a conscious decision when purchasing your meat. That's pretty disgusting that they put recycled cow into feed and feed it to the cows. WTF?! What's to say something like the mad cow epidemic couldn't happen again with another disease if not mad cow. I know it's not always an option or affordable for many, but man, for those who are able, it is REALLY nice to know exactly where your food comes from. I definitely trust the local hippie microfarmer so much more than a giant corporate feedlot/poultry/dairy operation, that's for sure.

Feedlots don't feed cattle based feed to other cattle. Not legal anymore.

FWIW i own a feedlot, but i'm like a millionaire in Jackson trying to compete with the billionaires. Pretty rough gig.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Feedlots don't feed cattle based feed to other cattle. Not legal anymore.

FWIW i own a feedlot, but i'm like a millionaire in Jackson trying to compete with the billionaires. Pretty rough gig.

Your major cost of business, cattle feed, is falling through the floor though, against steady consumer demand. You can live a little, brah.

thanks you guys!
    he loved a thick steak.

I had a friend who made a pet of an orphaned fawn. About 3 weeks later, he was hospitalized with an encephalitis, irregular heartbeat, and high fever, which burnt him pretty bad.
    Docs said tick or flea-borne virus. He was never the same afterward. Something like narcolepsy, he'd drift out but not enough to drop things.
    His symptoms went critical about 15 years later and he passed like your dad. Steak had nothing to do with it.

my dad died from a confirmed case of mad cow disease
    his brain tissue is now stored at the CDC headquarters
    never easy but honestly this is a terrible way to go out
    damn. sorry to hear that, looking forward to skiing w you.

i saw this thread title and thought of this zinger:

"maybe you can, but your wife couldn't seem to stop the other night"

Week 1 down without the red meat. Miss the carne asada burritos, but the shrimp, scallop, lobster rigatoni tonight was amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Damn Alpy that's awful.
    +1. Sorry to hear that man.

According to the CDC only four deaths from vCJD in the US
    Just curious but is that annually, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    I had a friend who made a pet of an orphaned fawn...
    You gotta defend yourself from those fuckers.

Food production is about 1/3 of all greenhouse gas emissions.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/f...rint-1.4930062