Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I know this little jewish kid who told his grampa " eating pork ... that's like dead pig "

I probably could go veg, back in the day ex wife took us into vegetarianism

my 2 sons were 3 or 4, they ate it for a year and a half and they are both 6 ft +

i would go for a beer & burger at lunch every day so no problem here

In spite of proper meal plans the ex-wife got an iron definecy and we went back to meat
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Complete non-meat eater here. Various reasons.... But on the ethical delineation between meat-sources, this was the original way I framed it: I choose not to eat a creature that cares for its young similar to us.

Eg: if an animal rears its young, off limits. I found it easier just to give up meat all-together - but if ppl chose to eat say fish - that might be a helpful way of saying why it's different vs. a cow. Like all rules it's not perfect.

I'm going to sell beef credits. Give me $10 and I won't eat two steaks for your one.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Why the special regard for mammals?
    For years, reading or hearing about things like the polar bear struggles, the poaching of wild life, dog meat festivals, the fucked life of animals on feed lots, etc has been really gnawing away at my consciousness.

I think I would feel better just doing my small part not to kill them and to continue supporting groups trying to protect them. While I am not a fan of the way poultry is killed and I hear you on the depletion of fish stocks. I can't give all animal based protein up (as I like to eat it).

I think I will give this idea a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    how do you approach crustaceans?
    Carefully. Many of them have claws!

I did. I once told my then girlfriend (now wife) that I was going to be vegetarian for a week. I ate the rest of the meat in my fridge (the last of which was ground bison) and never ate meat again.

I grew up in hunting country and helped in the butchering of many a deer. I've got no problem with others eating meat (especially hunted meat), but for my own ethical perspective. I prefer being vegetarian (for both avoiding killing things as much as possible and environmental impact reasons). I will eat mussels and oysters as I was once convinced that they weren't really sentient in the same way we think of animals as sentient and- as filter feeders - raising them leaves water systems cleaner than before.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I love me some carne asada, tri tip or tenderloin, but over the years I have found myself getting really bummed out when I stop and think about man killing mammals and that includes cow mo's.
    Has anyone else quit meat and just stuck with poultry and seafood? I am thinking this will be harder than quitting smoking.
    Flame suit on, just don't burn up the tree I am hugging.
    Dairy cattle get slaughtered too when they slow down/stop producing.

I don't eat a lot of meat and could just as easily not. I feel like a hypocrite about it because I know I couldn't kill it myself so why am I okay with it if someone else kills it?

Frankly I'm more in tune with hunting and eating what you kill though I couldn't do that either. The animal gets to live free/naturally and the hunter hopefully only takes what they can eat.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

this thread is making me hungry

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    My relationship with meat has changed over the years. Grew up as a hunter and we ate everything we killed. Then I didn't hunt for 6 years or so, but was still eating meat and buying beef and chicken at the store. Within the last year I realized that this was kinda bullshit really. I started hunting again and since September the only meat I will eat is something that I killed myself. Gonna attempt to make it through the whole year this way.

I figured I could hunt myself and enjoy organic lean meat that was harvested ethically without ever knowing it was about to get killed vs. eating factory processed beef/chicken. Even nice free range grass fed organic beef is loaded onto a truck and then put in a chute where they watch all their friends get killed one by one at point blank range in some barn somewhere. That seems worse than hunting wild animals to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think the phrase "harvesting meat" is hilarious. Why the euphemism? Call it what it is: killing animals and eating them. To be clear I'm not objecting to the practice, I just think the phrase is weird.
    it reflects the reality of much hunting in the US, now. it's a managed game crop. I don't think it's respectful, actually the contrary, but it's reality.

No.
    I have been working on getting meat closer to the source from the most ethical supply chain time/money can allow. That has meant trying to buy meat from the local butcher from local farms instead of the supermarket. Eventually I'd like to transition to buying shares of whole cows/pigs etc from 4H, FFA auctions etc and hunting/fishing.

I don't view killing animals in general as an ethical issue. My parents were hippy farmers who raised sheep (in addition to having day jobs). We raised the lambs, got to know their personalities, them drove them to the butchery co-op, then we ate and shared their meat. I can see how folks might not want to part of it, but it always struck me as the way things are. Animals eat animals.

But I do think the way (most) meat animals are raised can be unethical if they are treated cruelly or the process is environmentally irresponsible. So for the most part we buy meat directly from farmers who do it right. It costs more so we eat less. We do the same thing with fish, buying in bulk from sources we hope are responsible.

That said, I struggle to avoid good, cheap Mexican food.

I'm thinking about taking up hunting, but time is an issue. Going out with a friend soon to see if I like it enough to take time away from skiing and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    No.
    I have been working on getting meat closer to the source from the most ethical supply chain time/money can allow. That has meant trying to buy meat from the local butcher from local farms instead of the supermarket. Eventually I'd like to transition to buying shares of whole cows/pigs etc from 4H, FFA auctions etc and hunting/fishing.
    If you're ever looking for someone to go in on a pig or side of beef, keep me in mind. My coworkers in Colorado and I would regularly buy whole cows, pigs, sheep (2 goats once) and divide things up between us. Great way to net a whole lot of high quality meat at a reasonable per pound price.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    If you're ever looking for someone to go in on a pig or side of beef, keep me in mind. My coworkers in Colorado and I would regularly buy whole cows, pigs, sheep (2 goats once) and divide things up between us. Great way to net a whole lot of high quality meat at a reasonable per pound price.
    In the meanwhile you should drive to Owen's Meats in Cle Elum. Epic meat shop...

That said, I struggle to avoid good, cheap Mexican food.
    This.

In the meanwhile you should drive to Owen's Meats in Cle Elum. Epic meat shop...
    Fisher's in Issaquah or Olson's in Enumclaw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

No and I like my shoes and belts made of leather.

That’s why you are fat and slow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Harvest shows a little more respect to the animal IMO, it's not as flippant. It's food. We harvest it from the landscape and environment.
    I used to read alot of hunting ethics books when I started hunting and I remember this debate. One writer thought "harvest" was LESS respectful than saying "kill" because maybe less honest. I personally don't care and usage should dictate it- I'm gonna ask "how was the harvest," not "how was the killing," but I probably would say "I killed an elk this year" rather than "I harvested a deer this year" (actually I'd probably say I "took" one). Like any word or phrase trying too hard to either use it or avoid it is awkward.

unfortunately I didn't actually kill, take, or harvest one this year (maybe a roadkill year)

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I don't view killing animals in general as an ethical issue. My parents were hippy farmers who raised sheep (in addition to having day jobs). We raised the lambs, got to know their personalities, them drove them to the butchery co-op, then we ate and shared their meat. I can see how folks might not want to part of it, but it always struck me as the way things are. Animals eat animals.

But I do think the way (most) meat animals are raised can be unethical if they are treated cruelly or the process is environmentally irresponsible. So for the most part we buy meat directly from farmers who do it right. It costs more so we eat less. We do the same thing with fish, buying in bulk from sources we hope are responsible.
    This is how I feel. I have a problem with obscenely massive feed lot type operations. However, I have no problem with locally sourced, free range meat sources. Last cow we bought from a local rancher we bought at the Bozeman farmer's market. Fantastic meat and the cow lived a happy life on a beautiful little Montana ranch. Very little went to waste.

I feel we should apply the same logic even to our eggs. Local farm eggs where the chickens get to run around, eating all sorts of random stuff out in the field, that's where its at! Have you seen the giant egg, dairy, chicken, beef, pig operations? It's kind of sad really, and I'm no animal rights activist. However, I do feel that if we choose to partake in the consumption of them, that we should at least give the animals the dignity of living as good and happy a life as possible. Everything should be sustainable and as natural as possible. I do believe that is often reflected in the QUALITY of the meat or eggs themselves too. Big time. Happy chickens = tasty eggs.

We buy our milk locally now too. My wife even takes the kids once in a while to the farm to go pick it up, so they know the very cows it comes from and how it all gets made. That milk's not cheap at $8 a gallon, but it's awesome to see the cows enjoying life in the green grass and flowers at a VERY low cow:acre ratio. Tastiest milk I've ever had in my life.

So, I say eat what you want, but if you source it as ethically as possible, that should matter the most. Visit some local organic micro-farm to see what I'm talking about. Might make you feel a bit better about it if you get your meat from one of those places rather than the grocery store.

No
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    I used to read alot of hunting ethics books when I started hunting and I remember this debate. One writer thought "harvest" was LESS respectful than saying "kill" because maybe less honest. I personally don't care and usage should dictate it- I'm gonna ask "how was the harvest," not "how was the killing," but I probably would say "I killed an elk this year" rather than "I harvested a deer this year" (actually I'd probably say I "took" one). Like any word or phrase trying too hard to either use it or avoid it is awkward.
    Sometimes I say I shot one, took one, tagged one, bagged one, killed one, whatever. I try to avoid saying things like I dropped one, whacked one, smoked one, pasted one, or other things I hear people say that I feel are somewhat disparaging to the animal. I guess after all the internal debate I like harvest because that feels the most true to the spirit of what I feel like I'm actually doing when I'm out there, but I agree it can sound a bit contrived. Whatever, it's a personal decision. What matters is how you hunt (fair chase) and how you take care of the meat once an animal is down. I like this book about hunting ethics written by a friend of mine, the title of which pretty much sums up the dichotomy of hunting and killing for food, regardless of what you call it.

A Quiet Place of Violence

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think the phrase "harvesting meat" is hilarious. Why the euphemism? Call it what it is: killing animals and eating them. To be clear I'm not objecting to the practice, I just think the phrase is weird.
    Nonsense!
    Everyone knows that meat grows on trees.

And this times a billion

I went vegetarian in the mid 90’s for a week. Never thought about doing that again.