Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FS: Volkl Explosiv 180 (White Wizards)

For sale or ideally for swap.

I have a pair of 180cm Volkl Explosive White Wizards that I want to get rid of. I have hardly ridden them, and they weren't ridden much before me. They are in great condition, they have been drilled twice (unfortunately off-center) but the lam and edges are in good nick from what I can see. Selling flat without bindings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	257356

To be honest, my riding is not good enough to warrant these skis, so I am hoping they go to a more deserving home. Unofficial Networks had them up there with great skis of all time: https://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/...s-of-all-time/

I am open to hearing offers, but would ideally like to swap for a pair of last year's Patagonia Powslayer Bibs in Fluid Green in Medium. I lost mine and am desperately trying to get another pair. Long shot I know.

DM if you have questions or want more pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	257355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	257357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	257361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	257362  

Sexy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We tend to ask sellers to post prices here but since I’ve been looking for a minty pair of these I’ll offer up $150 shipped.
    Uno mas

$150 shipped is actually pretty high imo but if the dude above backs out I’ll hop in line at “almost” that price.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
    $150 shipped is actually pretty high imo but if the dude above backs out I’ll hop in line at “almost” that price.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah not trying to low ball. Figure I am being pretty fair. I just have a nostalgic flare for this ski so willing to go a bit higher than I would for any other 10+ yr old 2x mounted ski. I am in if OP agrees w the offer.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Yeah not trying to low ball. Figure I am being pretty fair. I just have a nostalgic flare for this ski so willing to go a bit higher than I would for any other 10+ yr old 2x mounted ski. I am in if OP agrees w the offer.
    Not just two mounts, two off centered mounts. I offer $100 shipped

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Thanks for the offers - anyone out there with those elusive powslayers...? It may well be too much to hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    Not just two mounts, two off centered mounts.

Yep, it is what it is - through no fault of my own...

No blame just restating a fact.

Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Usually sellers post the binding type and BSL of each mount even when they are off center like its 1995...

These are 2002/2003 skis not 2005 like UA says (and they didn't have "early rise" as UA claims). Even though this version of the Explosiv had cool graphics, the wizard version wasn't very popular in its time. I was all about Volkl in 2003: I had T50 5*s, VPros, and had almost bought a pair of Explosivs on here (pmag forums), the CMH version from mntlion. When I couldn't afford it, I thought I'd look for the wizard version post season because the twin tail (wizards were the only year that didn't have a square tail) would be like my VPros

I spent summer 2003 dreaming about a pair of leftover 180 wizard Explosivs in a Breck shop that refused to discount them from MSRP (so they stayed in the shop all summer, shop went out of business and I missed it and that location is now, ironically, a Patagonia store). Fall of 2003 is when they replaced the Explosiv with the Mantra, so I got my first ski shop job, bought a pair of Mantras and Gotamas (also first year) mounted with BCA Naxos (also first year, the true exploder) so I could finally ditch the too skinny 83mm VPros and have a real fat ski at 105mm! The Mantra was a better ski than the Explosive except in conditions where you would choose another ski altogether.

I have some 190 wizards in my garage that I was going to mount, but would prefer 180s. I'd value the skis at about $75. OP wants to trade for some $600 pattagucci bibs? Oh well LOL... nice trip down memory lane!
    Last edited by Summit; 11-27-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    2002/2003 skis not 2005. Who the heck is off center mounting a 95mm ski? I saw plusses off center back then but explosives? Weird.

Also say the binding type of the first mount? And the boot sole length of the mounts?

I have some 190s but really want 180s.
    16 year old ski. Was thinking 15+ buy lazily threw out 10+. I am getting old.

I don’t plan to use any old holes and also rolling the dice I can get around them. Was also thinking someone stupidly mounted inside center - never understood why this was thought to be a good idea. Unless someone went McConkey duck foot mount =)

My $150 stands and, per my PM, I am in no rush but will take ‘em. I am putting the value ~$100 and wanted to be sure OP netted that after shipping which I am guessing will be ~$40 if it happens.

Summit if I do get them and run into a hole conflict you’ll be the first to know.
    Last edited by Doremite; 11-27-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Summit if I do get them and run into a hole conflict you’ll be the first to know.
    Cool! Appreciate it. If you do, I can hook you up with the 190s as a partial trade although they aren't in as good of shape.

Pity they aren't a 190....

Also a square tail guy, these would be a cool addition to the quiver.

My dad's quiver-of-one is a pair of 180 Wizard Explosivs, but he has the black version.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    My dad's quiver-of-one is a pair of 180 Wizard Explosivs, but he has the black version.
    The black version is the 190

Cool! Appreciate it. If you do, I can hook you up with the 190s as a partial trade although they aren't in as good of shape.
    I can’t rock the 190s. Aging ec tele skier and 180 is all I can handle.
    Uno mas

The black version is the 190
    False. The black version was made in all lengths for at least one year, as we also have a pair of black Wizard 173's sitting in the basement.

False. The black version was made in all lengths for at least one year, as we also have a pair of black Wizard 173's sitting in the basement.
    Interesting... I remember display of the 173 180 190 next to each other each a different color. Did they make it more than one year? I thought only 02/03

Didn’t know these existed. Awesome. Have seen the 173 in black. He should sell them to me and upgrade to a more modern gentle offering =)
    Uno mas

Interesting... I remember display of the 173 180 190 next to each other each a different color. Did they make it more than one year? I thought only 02/03

I would have to do some research, but I think they used the Wizard topsheet for two seasons, then went to the maroon Buddha before they replaced it with the Mantra.

I think he likes them because they basically ski like a wider, more stable, slightly more forgiving version of a straight ski.

Brings back some memories. I was skiing on a pair of first-gen Salomon Pocket Rockets at the time. Ah the days of a 90mm underfoot "powder ski."

I would have to do some research, but I think they used the Wizard topsheet for two seasons, then went to the maroon Buddha before they replaced it with the Mantra.
    You are definitely correct! That jogged my memory!

Seems to me that I remember seeing some guys skiing a mix pair here and there as well...

Fond memories of skiing my 180 White Wizards during a massive El Niño year at Mammoth and Tahoe around 2003. Good powder skis, Amazing crud busters, but meh everywhere else. Replaced them with Gotamas and never looked back.

Some of the best topsheets ever. Lots of nostalgia but Mantras and Katanas were (and still are) much better skis.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Lots of nostalgia but Mantras.... were (and still are) much better skis.
    The first Mantras (the black ones) were not that great and were fragile, my pair had two complete tail denominations. IMHO

Sounds like this pair are now sold? Despite the wonky mounts I might be interested if not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Fond memories of skiing my 180 White Wizards during a massive El Niño year at Mammoth and Tahoe around 2003. Good powder skis, Amazing crud busters, but meh everywhere else. Replaced them with Gotamas and never looked back.

Some of the best topsheets ever. Lots of nostalgia but Mantras and Katanas were (and still are) much better skis.
    I also have a lot of time on this ski but has been 10 years and a lot of skis since. I hope I get to relive the glory. This is nostalgia and not performance driven.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    The first Mantras (the black ones) were not that great and were fragile, my pair had two complete tail denominations. IMHO

Sounds like this pair are now sold? Despite the wonky mounts I might be interested if not.
    As far as I know I remain first in line. OP was responsive over PM and seems to be contemplating the fairness of my offer. Also told him to take his time thinking it over given I am in no rush for them.
    Uno mas