Quick Question: The Grand Traverse (Tetons)

Has it been done? Not the Colorado Skimo race. Has anybody done the Grand Traverse in the Tetons on skis unsupported?
    Snow? Snow.

It’s been done in winter although I don’t think completely on skis.

Doing it the more common way from Tewinot to New Perce would involve climbing the north ridge which is hard enough in summer with a light pack and good weather. Doing it the opposite way would involve skiing the hossack macgowan (which has only been skied like three times) or rapping down to the grandstand and skiing that. People have done most of the Traverse on skis but to my knowledge I don’t think the whole thing in the traditional fashion has ever been done, something many people including myself have thought about over the years.

If someone could put together a south to north Traverse they would be putting together some amazing decent including the possibly the glacier route on the middle,hossack macgowan and the east face of Teewinot.

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/ALP07/climbing-note-koch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09ACCE4B-DBBD-42CD-90C0-3F7274B1ED47.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	518.6 KB 
ID:	257475
    Last edited by tyfalk; 11-27-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    "Officially known as Highway U-210, more commonly known as Little Cottonwood Canyon and unofficially acknowledged as the epicenter of the greatest snow on earth." Andrew McLean

Quote Originally Posted by tyfalk View Post
    It’s been done in winter although I don’t think completely on skis.

Doing it the more common way from Tewinot to New Perce would involve climbing the north ridge which is hard enough in summer with a light pack and good weather. Doing it the opposite way would involve skiing the hossack macgowan (which has only been skied like three times) or rapping down to the grandstand and skiing that. People have done most of the Traverse on skis but to my knowledge I don’t think the whole thing in the traditional fashion has ever been done, something many people including myself have thought about over the years.

If someone could put together a south to north Traverse they would be putting together some amazing decent including the possibly the glacier route on the middle,hossack macgowan and the east face of Teewinot.

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/ALP07/climbing-note-koch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09ACCE4B-DBBD-42CD-90C0-3F7274B1ED47.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	518.6 KB 
ID:	257475
    I could not find that article for the life of me, thanks for posting it. What a wild accomplishment that would be...
    Snow? Snow.

If I could even do the Grand Traverse, I sure as hell wouldn't haul my skis.

About 85% portering, 15% actually skiing. Also, the Middle glacier and the east face of Teewinot pale in comparison to the Hossack McGowan route.

The HM would take you off of the GT direct path as well.

Big, stable snow under an extended high pressure would be key. Big lungs, cojones, etc.

^ Although the Hossack-MacGowan is technically off route for the Grand Traverse I feel like who ever links up a winter ski traverse close to the traditional route would be considered good style. By staying 100% on route there would be far less quality skiing. If you however ventured a little off the normal route there could be several high quality link up possibilities. I only mentioned Teewinot and the Glacier Route since that would make a nice skiable link up.

Traditional direction from Teewinot to Nez Perce highlights would be....

Climb Teewinot and out the east prong and over to Owen. A possible decent of Gunsight notch, gain the Grandstand and somehow climb the north ridge. Ski the Ford/Chevy/Settner. Around the teepee pillar and up to the lower saddle. North ridge of the middle to the Southwest Couloir. Up the south teton and down the Amora Vida. Up and down the ridge to Nez Perce and down one of the hourglass couloirs.

Ski descents S to N:

Gunsight Notch
    Ford/Chevy/Settiner
    Southwest Couloir
    Amora Vida
    East or West Hourglass Couloirs

By going the old school and original way from Nez Perce to Teewinot could incorporate a few more classic descents. For instance...
    Up Nez Perce and out the ridge to the South, descent down to the col and up the Southwest and down the Glacier Route, up to the lower saddle or up the Ford/Chevy/ Settner to the Hossack-MacGowan or descend the Grandstand if you dont want to make too much history. Back up through the Gunsight Notch and up Owen and out the ridge passing the east prong to summit Teewinot. Down the classic East face.

Ski descents N to S:

Glacier Route
    Ford/Chevy/Settiner or Hossack- MacGowan
    East Face of Teewinot

a little stoke for the season...
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by tyfalk; 11-27-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    "Officially known as Highway U-210, more commonly known as Little Cottonwood Canyon and unofficially acknowledged as the epicenter of the greatest snow on earth." Andrew McLean

It's possible but improbable at best.

Im not eyeing it (Im trying to ease up on the sufferfests these days) but If you're going to go for it, might as well really go for it.

Teewee nw couloir, up the diagonal, down the koven(bummer to miss the north side routes on owen), up the hossack (much better winter option than the n ridge) down the Briggs (my personal favorite) up the north ridge of the middle (fun, not too chossy in winter) down the east face/ellingwood, up the south then down the east ridge, traverse the ridge to the dome then down the zorro face, before climbing Nez perce to the summit and finishing on the spooky face or se face.

I dont think anyone has even skied off the summit of all the traverse peaks in their lifetime (fabs is still one or two short IIRC and is one of 3 people to ski off the true summit of owen) and skiing *on* those peaks is a whole different ball park then skiing off the summit of all those peaks. Even skiing the Traverse in small portions over 5 or 10 years would be an proud accomplishment. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TGR Forums mobile app
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    If Steve Romeo were still alive today, there's a decent chance it would have been done by now. RIP.
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR View Post
    If Steve Romeo were still alive today, there's a decent chance it would have been done by now. RIP.
    Rest easy, Romeo.

Rest easy, Onufer.