Thread: Tuna Tails

Tuna Tails

as seen in Hyannis the other day. From tuna ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fishtales.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	919.7 KB 
ID:	257222  
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Either that or swordfish is my guess. I'm leaning towards swords but have no idea what I'm talking about.

They look a little small for sword. But I don't know what I'm talking about either. I just like to googlez.

Tuna:

Sword:

Those are tuna tails - most likely yellowfin or bigeye if you saw this in Hyannis MA this time of year. Guy just got back from the canyons offshore to the southeast... there's usually bluefin close to shore this time of year but would be illegal to harvest this many of them.

Keeping tails is popular among the recreational and charter fishing crowd as many like to dry em and nail them to their wall or a post by their slip at the marina.

Very little recreational swordfishing in the northeast as they usually hangout wayyy offshore, and I think the commercial guys spend too much time fishing to think it would be cool to nail dead fish parts to their wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post
    Those are tuna tails - most likely yellowfin or bigeye if you saw this in Hyannis MA this time of year. Guy just got back from the canyons offshore to the southeast... there's usually bluefin close to shore this time of year but would be illegal to harvest this many of them.

Keeping tails is popular among the recreational and charter fishing crowd as many like to dry em and nail them to their wall or a post by their slip at the marina.

Very little recreational swordfishing in the northeast as they usually hangout wayyy offshore, and I think the commercial guys spend too much time fishing to think it would be cool to nail dead fish parts to their wall.
    thanks,guys. I wanted to snag one but knew better. Kinda like , that drunko night at the cowboy bar in jackson and my buddy decided to try to pilfer a set of antlers in the park, they were wired in pretty tight, didn't happen. I would love to mount one of these big tails on the side of the shed here in hyannis. I'd feel a poseur , tho. I think you'd have to actually reel it in to be legit.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

its been pretty sporty as of late and not sure how many are making a canyon run, I wonder if they are someone's tails from this past bluefin season they've been keeping for the garage wall. I counted 6 so thats two trips where they limited out.

Looks like some teeth on sitting on that middle rod holder... Did it smell?

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    its been pretty sporty as of late and not sure how many are making a canyon run, I wonder if they are someone's tails from this past bluefin season they've been keeping for the garage wall. I counted 6 so thats two trips where they limited out.

Looks like some teeth on sitting on that middle rod holder... Did it smell?
    Yeah, makes sense. I forgot it's late november and a bold time to be running 100 miles offshore to sportfish.

You guys get a good BFT run this fall? I moved 2500 miles away but I sure do miss those brisk november days off chatham surrounded by birds, whales, bait, and blitzing bluefin!

Yeah, makes sense. I forgot it's late november and a bold time to be running 100 miles offshore to sportfish.

You guys get a good BFT run this fall? I moved 2500 miles away but I sure do miss those brisk november days off chatham surrounded by birds, whales, bait, and blitzing bluefin!
    It was a great tuna run (from what I heard).... Our second Son was born end of June, so most of my fishing was relegated to the spring run of bass

Things should settle back down next year, I could really use a trip out to Atlantis or Hydrographers..

Those look like from tunas' to me. Seems only one is still fresh or newly caught.