Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Any advice for a first-timer going on a cat trip? I leave for a 4 day trip in interior BC this coming weekend, super excited! I've been stalking these forums trying to get learned-ed pre-trip...any info/advice much appreciated.

Bring your red skis

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    Bring your red skis
    ??

Where are you going?
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by soyboy80 View Post
    Headed to Mustang for the steep chutes program in march, I'll put up a TR when done, super pumped.
    i've heard really good things about mustang. looking forward to the TR

I'm headed to BC with some buddies and skiing Valhalla Powdercats Jan 19-21, staying in Nelson. Looks like they've been getting snow and the pack is above average....nice. Anybody got any Nelson recs? How about a herb recco/connection? Doesn't look like any rec mmj stores in Nelson. TIA!
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Where are you going?
    Going to Baldface. I'm a boarder and my buddy is a skier.

best catskiing operation in BC?

Quote Originally Posted by md229c View Post
    Going to Baldface. I'm a boarder and my buddy is a skier.
    The owner Jeff is a boarder, so Baldface is setup, for boarders. Minimal flats. Really nice OP.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    I'm headed to BC with some buddies and skiing Valhalla Powdercats Jan 19-21, staying in Nelson. Looks like they've been getting snow and the pack is above average....nice. Anybody got any Nelson recs? How about a herb recco/connection? Doesn't look like any rec mmj stores in Nelson. TIA!
    There are at least three pot shops in Nelson, two of which are on Baker Street. Look up from your screen and you'll find them.

Don't plan on being baked while you're skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    There are at least three pot shops in Nelson, two of which are on Baker Street. Look up from your screen and you'll find them.

Don't plan on being baked while you're skiing.
    Good to know.....I couldn't find any on Weedmaps tho. Just looking for some for after skiing.....
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Good to know.....I couldn't find any on Weedmaps tho. Just looking for some for after skiing.....
    Does weedmaps work in Canada? Every small town in BC has a rec shop or two, and since Nelson was weed mecca pre-legal you'll be fine.
    Go to the taco joint on Baker street, get the jalpeno marg.... thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by md229c View Post
    Any advice for a first-timer going on a cat trip? I leave for a 4 day trip in interior BC this coming weekend, super excited! I've been stalking these forums trying to get learned-ed pre-trip...any info/advice much appreciated.
    You've timed it well, good that you there with partner that can hopefully rip, I've done solo cat trips and got stuck with lames.
    Don't get too drunk apres, stretch, roll, soak, sauna, smoke - you'll have way more fun.
    Take turns dropping lines first.. and tail guides usually know fun lines that the average tourist doesn't see/know... hang with them if you can't go near the front of the pack on a line.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    I thought your company did a media trip video thing there last year? There is some ok terrain but its a long haul from lodge. Nothing like you would find at any other cat op in BC (terrain wise). It was low tide until about 10 days ago. Coverage should be good.
    Just got back from Keefer. Man, we hit the cycle pretty well. It was pretty much snowing the entire time we were there but the biggest dump hit the day before with 5-10 overnight totals each night while we were there.

The first day was...meh for the first 2 or 3 runs then we were able to get into a little more open space but low-angle. As first day, the guides were just checking us out as much as anything. Also, things hadn't settled yet and stability wasn't great. CAA website showed High-Red at all elevations for that day with it all forecasted to Considerable by days 2 and 3 then Considerable above treeline and moderate below for the last day. Their pits were confirming the forecast so it obviously was better as we were there.

Day 2 was good, day 3 better, day 4 best. On both 3 and 4, we were able to get further away from the lodge out to the northern most point of their road system. There is definitely some good terrain when you get out a bit. We had a number of pitches between 35 and 40 degrees with one pitch on the last day called New Hope that was at 40 degrees, open in the center with just some sparse trees over to the side. Jeff Gostlin was guiding us that day and he said it's the steepest run they ski there. It was sweet! Deep, soft... really a fun run. My slough was catching me so I moved right and saw more slough coming from that line so had to pull over for a second to let it run by me but, other than that, just a sweet continuous line.

While this wasn't a media trip, Bob put together a little video from day 3 that he showed at the lodge that night. In it, as skiers go by, in some of the shots, you can see that the pitches we were hitting had some steepness to them. So, it's not nearly as flat as I was afraid it might be. I hadn't skied with many of these guys before so wasn't really sure how this would go but, all in all, it was a good time, lots of fun and new friends which is always a good thing.

Here's the video. Look for me, I'm in the red coat...

Last edited by GoldMember; 01-13-2020 at 09:40 AM.

^^^ nice. I guess its a good thing we decided not to poach the northern tenure on Sunday. Silver Star was just skiing too well this weekend (2ft since friday). Glad you had a good trip, how long of a cat ride in the morning?

I have skied new hope before and the little bit of alpine skiers left. Fun area. Way more snow in there for this time of year then normal.

We yo-yo'd our way in and out of there so hard to say how long it really took. Thanks for not poaching it! They had about 11 feet of snowpack and were commenting that they have a lot more than last year. The past week really made them healthy for getting into some stronger lines. We were the first skiers on New Hope this year.

Opinion for snowboard

I’m planning in december 23 visit B.C for catsking.

I’m snowboard Rider with experience in Alps and Hokkaido. I’m searching fresh powder.

I would like Mustang powder but I’ m not a expert snowboard I read about condicions and they santos only expert snowboard rides.

So my oferta options will be:

Monashee Powder cats, maybe too much light for me but a lot of snow.

Chatter Creek Could give me you opinion for snowboard and qualality of snow. Less snow than Monashee

Baldface, I read that they are very friendly with snowboard rider.

Thank you so much

December is pretty early for filled in conditions. Are you solo?

Baldface is definitely boarder centric.

All of those are great choices but, yes, Baldface would likely suit you.

Quote Originally Posted by hokkaides View Post
    I’m planning in december 23 visit B.C for catsking.

I’m snowboard Rider with experience in Alps and Hokkaido. I’m searching fresh powder.

I would like Mustang powder but I’ m not a expert snowboard I read about condicions and they santos only expert snowboard rides.

So my oferta options will be:

Monashee Powder cats, maybe too much light for me but a lot of snow.

Chatter Creek Could give me you opinion for snowboard and qualality of snow. Less snow than Monashee

Baldface, I read that they are very friendly with snowboard rider.

Thank you so much
    Did you find somewhere with open seats?

Thumbs up

[QUOTE = eldereldo; 6495675] ¿Encontraste algún lugar con asientos abiertos? [/ QUOTE]

No in this moment but in January or February open booking for next season

https://skeenacatskiing.ca/the-skeena-team-and-story/

New shit has come to light ^^ a new ownership group, same guy ( Nick Holmes-Smith ) is into 3 operations, I don't know what it means exactly

I have met & skied with Jevon Zyp and Gary Matheson but I don't know the other guy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Looks like they have current season availability and prices look OK, but then they mention that helicopter transfer to their base is an additional $400 on top of the daily fees. This shit has gotten really expensive!

I have only been to Skeena cat ski so I duno about the other ops but the new ownership is new the heli rides are new and day trips look to be a thing of the past

Locals were getting 400$ day trips ever since the op began, fill a cat and get a free trip so here we filled the cat with 12 dudes and this guy voted radest dude by his peers got the trip

Name:  rad dude.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  81.0 KB
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

[QUOTEAttachment 257246

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]
    Other than that big rock on her finger, Daddy like's.