Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Regarding alternative base coatings: In the 90's up on The Beartooth, a guy showed me how Coleman multi fuel helps. The snow was very wet and dirty where no tracks had been made. The suck factor was huge after a few turns so we suffered down Gardiner headwall. Guy at top of hikeout comments on the snow and offers us the fuel can. Wiping that shit on made it a 4 run day of slippery deep corn.

I wax about every 3 days. Roughly 10-12 hrs of skiing and average of 60k vert.

TFT - prolly still showing green wax on yer bases, no? Damn that stuff was hard to remove...

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    TFT - prolly still showing green wax on yer bases, no? Damn that stuff was hard to remove...
    Hah, bringing me back to the pain cave! Lasted until spring as the base coat on those skis.

I dont wax ... the terrain I ski is so steep and the pow is so deep, I find i just dont need it.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Regarding alternative base coatings: In the 90's up on The Beartooth, a guy showed me how Coleman multi fuel helps. The snow was very wet and dirty where no tracks had been made. The suck factor was huge after a few turns so we suffered down Gardiner headwall. Guy at top of hikeout comments on the snow and offers us the fuel can. Wiping that shit on made it a 4 run day of slippery deep corn.
    White gas works wonders for stripping sap and pollen from bases. I always carry a little can for spring missions to clean up before reapplying skins. Never thought to use it as a wax alternative though.

I usually carry a little bag of white gas for huffing.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

waxing es too remove the hairs from de places oo do not vant et.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    If I need edges or wax, I'm skiing the wrong kind of snow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Dude, come on. Big Sky = cold, dry snow, and lots of sharp rocks. You know this.
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Just took the summer wax off 3 pr. of skis. It kinda feels good to have those waxy hands again.
    Very optimistic.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    I’m assuming first person in the world to wax his/her skis used wax because that’s what they had 100s of years ago]
    What they had and used 100’s of years ago was pine pitch. I suggest you give it go. Again: iron it in like crazy and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    I
    What they had and used 100’s of years ago was pine pitch. I suggest you give it go. Again: iron it in like crazy and report back.
    Uh no. They (we) used pine tar on the bare wood to protect the wood from the water and so the wax had something to stick to, but they definitely used wax. If you tried to ski with just pine tar you wouldn't go anywhere. I still have my propane torch but now I use it to make creme brulee.

waxes, oil, human jizz (no joke - used in gold rush day wax formulations), all kinds of things were used to make skis faster.

"white gas" is naphta, a good solvent for cleaning all kinds of crap off surfaces.

Say, I wonder how "waxing" with Elmer's glue worked out for the OP. He never reported the results, probably because he's still stuck at the top of the hill.

in Turkey they use animal fat on their wooden pow surfers.
    27° 18°

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!