Page 43 of 64 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1592
    while our homeboys at JHMR middle-management may be committed to their IKONIC vision of the future, at least we still have some folksy gasoline lollipops for apres ski after a halfway decent day. man, I want either slushy spring snow or mid-winter pow, I am neither chill enough nor a good enough skier to just enjoy mother nature on her own terms...I want either blower pow or quality spring skiing corn conditions. fuck this March 9th compromise muleshart.

one didn't have to work too hard to find some quasi-fresh
    altho the warming temps make your aspect choice more critical....my pasty winterwhite skin hasn't seen sun like this in many moons #goggletan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_3a47.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	616.9 KB 
ID:	273418

Sailcat! Holler if youz guys want to grab a beer or meal while you're here. I think you are my retirement idol lol
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    we were talking as to how on our trip from slc to kaslo bc and back
    the total populations of towns and cities along the way is probably less than the O town to happy valley (slc) numbers
    Kaslo is a neat little town in the middle of nowhere that's surprisingly easy to get to. Plus they have a nice little heli-ski operation going that's worth the visit. Much easier to get to then AK. Jason and the Stellar Heli Ski team do a great job and there terrian is massive.

Friends in Nelson like to bitch about the rising cost of real estate. - https://www.remax.ca/bc/nelson-real-estate I laugh.

If anyone is looking for discounts on lift tickets, I've got two 50% off vouchers I won't be using. PM me and I'll send the voucher number to give to the ticket office.

Rad to see tracks laid down Treasure Bowl. Any mags bag that one?

Treasure, eh? I'll ask around. I bet I know.

Off to the Hellroaring hut in the morning for a couple of nights, thanks to WMD. Will post up a report this weekend. Nice to ha e good stability for a change.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Babbit!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Hey y'all, I'm driving up to Jackson/Tetons this weekend with my new touring set up. I'm going to ski tour up a forest road to do some winter backpacking, but I'd like to get some turns in somewhere on Saturday. Any suggestions on a low angle skin track that I can potentially run laps on? I don't have avy gear or training so I'm not trying to put myself in harms way. I've done some research and it looks like maybe 25 Short and Edelweiss MIGHT be options, and if all else fails, Black Tail Butte seems to be a safe bet.

Can anyone provide any input on 25 Short or Edelweiss or provide any other options for a safe avy-free area to run some laps to test out my setup and keep me out of harms way?

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post

Off to the Hellroaring hut in the morning for a couple of nights, thanks to WMD. Will post up a report this weekend. Nice to ha e good stability for a change.

Looking forward to that report, we hit it a few Years ago in March but had less than desirable stability. Would be fun to open it up there!

Yeah would love some pics from the centennials. Have fond memories from that place back when Tim was running things.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post

I’ll be leading you in!
    Take it easy on me

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

18/19 Jackson/Targhee/Tetons Thread- Ski the big red one

Smelly Randy, it’s probably gonna be a tough nut to crack. Touring with no training and no gear will squarely put you in the gaper class of dumb-dumbs at Teton Pass that everyone is currently hating on.

I’ve been there. Doing laps up on Galena Summit in Idaho a long while back with new touring gear and no training while staying within eye shot of the road.

25 short is not what I’d call an easy introduction to touring. It’s an awesome ski, but can harbor serious consequences.

If you’re skiing anywhere in the Tetons and an accident happens, consider whether you’d be helping or hindering any form of rescue.

Edelweiss is marginally better, but still not great for you.

I’d pick Telemark Bowl and try like heck to find a person to buy beers for who can loan you a transceiver and teach you a few things about it. Maybe ask around at the Coach Bar and try not to sound like a total dork, ya JONG!
    Last edited by SUPERIOR; 03-11-2019 at 10:41 PM.

If you’re not totally trolling...I have a spare beacon and flexible schedule. I could be down for a few tele bowl laps, show you the ins and outs of a beacon search and other basics. No guarantees but if our schedules jive...a lot of mags have passed a lot of knowledge on to me. Shoot me a PM.

Wow... new respect for this forum uttering the name... "Babbit!"

Never forget the Teton Valley News article circa 1999 where they compared a Jackson skier to a Teton Valley skier. The Jackson skier was a winter wonder who like apres and the TV skier was Babbit - lycra vs tie dye. What made you hunker down in TV? "The light" answers Babbit...

Treasure (Ski Patrol) Bowl with the late Wray Landon was a top-ranker for me fo sho

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post

I’ve been there. Doing laps up on Galena Summit in Idaho a long while back with new touring gear and no training while staying within eye shot of the road.
    My first tour was on Galena pass 6 years ago. I had touring gear, avi gear, but no knowledge. I learned a ton that tour, cool little spot.

Much appreciated. Yeah, I had pretty much already ruled out Teton Pass all together as soon as I read about some slide last month, but just wanted to confirm with people who were familiar with the area. Blacktail Butte does look like a feasible option though, so if anyone has any experience skiing that, I'd like to hear about it. Looks like it's only about 400 feet (link).

More likely than not, I'll probably stick to doing laps on the forest roads I'll be touring up to go camp, or just touring around Jenny Lake just to get some work in. Given the circumstances, I'm certainly not trying to put myself in harms way. Thanks, y'all.

Smelly Randy, it’s probably gonna be a tough nut to crack. Touring with no training and no gear will squarely put you in the gaper class of dumb-dumbs at Teton Pass that everyone is currently hating on.

25 short is not what I’d call an easy introduction to touring. It’s an awesome ski, but can harbor serious consequences.

If you’re skiing anywhere in the Tetons and an accident happens, consider whether you’d be helping or hindering any form of rescue.

Edelweiss is marginally better, but still not great for you.

I’d pick Telemark Bowl and try like heck to find a person to buy beers for who can loan you a transceiver and teach you a few things about it. Maybe ask around at the Coach Bar and try not to sound like a total dork, ya JONG!

Scratch what I said, doesn't look like Blacktail Butte skiing is permitted (thread). I'll stick to Shadown Mtn and the forest roads.

Randy, If you have a generous offer to get out with a knowledgeable local, I'd take them up on that and shorten the learning curve drastically.

Oh I absolutely would if avy risk was low (and would rent a beacon and buy a probe in that case). As of now, I'm thinking that I'll probably camp up on Shadow Mountain and just spend Saturday running laps on the forest road leading up there, just to get some miles in and get myself comfortable with the gear. I bought my touring setup primarily for inbounds skinning and for ski touring normal [flatter] hiking trails to go backpacking in the winter. I'm a total puss and wouldn't even think about going anywhere I shouldn't be going without the proper gear and training. Thanks for the input y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    Randy, If you have a generous offer to get out with a knowledgeable local, I'd take them up on that and shorten the learning curve drastically.
    Last edited by SmellyRandy; 03-12-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Randy you are going to find winter access to locations you mentioned limited as not all roads are maintained. However there are locations around the valley where you can tour, you just have to be selective and alert about how far in you tour.
    Snow King allows up hill travel, and you can buy a pass for operating hours. Or go up before or after hours, just be careful and aware of grooming or patrol and race operations going on. In the park Granite, White Grass, and Bradley Taggert trail heads have mellow options away from the Tetons to spend time walking around. Slide Lake in the Gros Ventre has reasonable options, again be aware of some of the steeper slopes. Togwotee area also has some mellow touring options. If you are map apps save, Gaia GPS it easy to use and can help you get back to the car. Also if all goes to crap, text 911 works in our county, and leave a note of your plan on your dash.
    And if I were you I’d take snapt up on the offer to experience tele bowl. I’ll be around Sunday, and I’ll offer to give you a little crash course on avalanche gear.

Totally missed this post. Planning on resort skiing JH on Friday and then Saturday I'll be looking to do some touring. I'd be totally down for that. I'll be doing photography all weekend so I'll be taking pics somewhere for sunrise but then I'll be looking to tour right after. I'll PM ya.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    If you’re not totally trolling...I have a spare beacon and flexible schedule. I could be down for a few tele bowl laps, show you the ins and outs of a beacon search and other basics. No guarantees but if our schedules jive...a lot of mags have passed a lot of knowledge on to me. Shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the info. I feel I have a pretty good handle on what roads will be accessible (basically just 191, right?). Thinking it's more than likely that I camp up at the observatory (Forest Road 30340) rather than Shadow Mountain since Observatory is basically right off of 191 and I doubt Shadow Mountain Road will be plowed or maintained at all. Look forward to exploring the area in the winter for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Springskiin View Post
    Randy you are going to find winter access to locations you mentioned limited as not all roads are maintained. However there are locations around the valley where you can tour, you just have to be selective and alert about how far in you tour.
    Snow King allows up hill travel, and you can buy a pass for operating hours. Or go up before or after hours, just be careful and aware of grooming or patrol and race operations going on. In the park Granite, White Grass, and Bradley Taggert trail heads have mellow options away from the Tetons to spend time walking around. Slide Lake in the Gros Ventre has reasonable options, again be aware of some of the steeper slopes. Togwotee area also has some mellow touring options. If you are map apps save, Gaia GPS it easy to use and can help you get back to the car. Also if all goes to crap, text 911 works in our county, and leave a note of your plan on your dash.
    And if I were you I’d take snapt up on the offer to experience tele bowl. I’ll be around Sunday, and I’ll offer to give you a little crash course on avalanche gear.

Fun crowd at the Garter last night. Had dinner at Glorietta for the first time since it was Nani's back in the day. Highly recommended.

I’m thinking of coming out next week for corn skiing, if the temperatures keep looking favorable.

Is it spring skiing up high yet, or still dust on crust?

Another system in 10 days looks interdasting.

I’m thinking of coming out next week for corn skiing, if the temperatures keep looking favorable.

Is it spring skiing up high yet, or still dust on crust?

Another system in 10 days looks interdasting.

Tuesday was spring skiing, yesterday was winter, today it’s partially cloudy and not really softening. It’s hit or miss, but I do think this weekend and early next week will be great corn skiing.