Page 34 of 64 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post

I have never seen GTNP close the gates to Granite, or JHMR close the south gates, due to dangerous conditions. At least not since they instigated the open-gate policy. Smart move, although it does concentrate use in-bounds. You think there are ANY safe lines into Granite today, including overhead hazard? Ha!
    ya i think this a first..i bet the ikon show played a role in closing the south gates

Just checking in to say that my stoke level is high right now. Get out early, play the game and you shall be rewarded. It seems like everybody is bitching a lot these days, and I get it, but Iíve had some great skiing lately. Oh, and Iím with Super Gaper- build the north bridge and widen the roads. The past is the past and it ainít coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There is no one at Snow King, and at least 8” of fresh
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    Just checking in to say that my stoke level is high right now. Get out early, play the game and you shall be rewarded. It seems like everybody is bitching a lot these days, and I get it, but I’ve had some great skiing lately. Oh, and I’m with Super Gaper- build the north bridge and widen the roads. The past is the past and it ain’t coming back.
    Yep, might as well embrace it. The Jackson Hole I grew up in 30 years ago is long gone.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I am leaving work and heading to the village, I will report back, group text says not as busy today.

I got first public on Sunday, and 5 more. Full face shots inbounds start to finish.

Then first public yesterday, due to work and fear of long lines, did just one top to bottom, crossed one track in the north Hoback, due to density only
    chest shots.

Then shoveled my whole roof and blew the driveway, blew it again this morning.

Wish me luck!
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia

18/19 Jackson/Targhee/Tetons Thread- Ski the big red one

Heavier than we are used to but the skiing was fantastic at the village today. Turned around and went back to work after seeing the crowd yesterday morning. Decided to give it another go today. Gondi line at 8 wasnít that bad. Snaked up the the kids ranch again by the tome it opened.
    Great skiing up high until sublette got slammed. Good skiing below that with slightly less people. got word at 1245 that my damn roof slid and busted up the deck and packed in my kidís window completely. Had to run but on the way down I hit Jackson Faces. My tracks were one of maybe 5 on the whole face. Best skiing down there Iíve ever had, I think. Snuck up for a quick round two from the mid station at SW. unfortunately thatís all the time I could spare.

Going to be hard to go to work tomorrow if this continues.

DJ - lets make some laps Saturday. Unfortunately, I probably wonít be out until then.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    got word at 1245 that my damn roof slid and busted up the deck and packed in my kidís window completely. Had to run .
    !!!
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

Iím in the Ikonvasion next weekend.

Crazy crowds!

The year the team was closed I walked up to the ticket office, saw the ticket price, saw a line like that at gondola and did a 180 back to the car and 25 short.

Is there Ikonflation in the lodging this year?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

RE: IKON. Every resort that has signed up with IKON has a bunch of really pissy locals right now. If you ride the chairs with IKON passholders, they totally feel the anger and at times outright hostility.

I would really love to know how many of the damn things they sold.

Bartender friend was telling me how several business people/locals were in at his end of the bar bitching about IKON.

These folks all reap the benefits of a tourist economy in a big way. They told him how they have been sending e-mails complaining to the Ski Corp. (Big Sky).

I get it, it sucks to have to share and the seasons pass holders are the ones to "suffer".

Until it isn't economical for whatever reasons these types of passes aren't going away and I think we are just seeing the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    Just checking in to say that my stoke level is high right now. Get out early, play the game and you shall be rewarded. It seems like everybody is bitching a lot these days, and I get it, but Iíve had some great skiing lately. Oh, and Iím with Super Gaper- build the north bridge and widen the roads. The past is the past and it ainít coming back.
    Definitely time to build the bridge:

Name:  16996316_1878019695775930_6848824147844033758_n.png
Views: 910
Size:  90.9 KB

https://www.facebook.com/greenbridgecoalition

You can build all the bigger things you want...except the dirt,the mountain,the cliffs rocks and trees. Those items are what matters, not a road or a bridge.

ICON is back next year so the battle is lost.

Management used all the bitching and publicity to cut an improved deal instead getting out.

The nail is in the coffin. Done. The end

Traffic Jams all the way to the Y means everyone suffers not just pass holders.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    RE: IKON. Every resort that has signed up with IKON has a bunch of really pissy locals right now. If you ride the chairs with IKON passholders, they totally feel the anger and at times outright hostility.

Bartender friend was telling me how several business people/locals were in at his end of the bar bitching about IKON.

These folks all reap the benefits of a tourist economy in a big way. They told him how they have been sending e-mails complaining to the Ski Corp. (Big Sky).

I get it, it sucks to have to share and the seasons pass holders are the ones to "suffer".

Until it isn't economical for whatever reasons these types of passes aren't going away and I think we are just seeing the start.
    If you're considering moving to a ski town at this point, move to a one that is unlikely to get put into play by a combination pass. I won't do your homework for you but I can think a couple with decent(better than snowbowl) skiing.

How many locals are bitching about the discount they got their Ikon Pass vs rhe full price pass they wod have had to buy otherwise? Not sure what a season pass at JH was, but I suspect it was more then Ikon.

Ikon was slight more then Mammoths MVP, but the MVP has been discounted from "normal" pass prices.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    How many locals are bitching about the discount they got their Ikon Pass vs rhe full price pass they wod have had to buy otherwise? Not sure what a season pass at JH was, but I suspect it was more then Ikon.

Ikon was slight more then Mammoths MVP, but the MVP has been discounted from "normal" pass prices.
    7 days at jh for about a grand vs a season for what, close to double that. Easy peasy decision.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post

it may or may not be good business for individual resorts and certain towns, and it may be the way of the future for better or worse. but jackson workers were doing just fine before IKON. the economy may depend on tourist dollars, but it doesnt depend on IKON. JH has been enjoying steady growth in skier visits for years, and the summer economy gets crazier and crazier every year. plenty of tourist money before ikon, and there was more and more tourist money on the horizon based purely on word getting out about how fucking beautiful it is here. no hate at all to the individual IKON folks bc I'd buy one if I lived on the front range but our economy is humming with or without them.

BUT...

i kinda really don't care about IKON right now because as others have said, if you know the game at the village and you're able to get first box or otherwise get ahead/get lucky, it's been some sweet sweet days. sunday was some of the finest quality snow I've ever choked on and monday was certainly heavier but so smooth. coverage at snow king is excellent and a few hours of ski-on lifts at snow king will bring a smile to your face. it's just so easy and relaxing. I love bitching but life is good.

okay last bitch, can we get some more START buses now? maybe the resort and TVA could buy some goodwill by spending their ikon cash on some more buses. it's not like our vocal retiree community is going to let anyone widen the roads or create some redundancy anytime soon.

Changing tack.

Leaving aside backcountry-etiquette questions, on Monday, after a fairly painful skin up 25-Short (and I didn't even do that much breaking), I left a stuff sack with a puffy+water+ lunch at the top of the skin track. While I was lapping, some kind person decided to pick up my gear, thinking that I'd "forgotten" it. Losing a puffy is one thing, but missing lunch really ruined the day for me.

If anyone has any information, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Mex - Psyched that a day on Teton Pass in super sweet snow conditions would make a drive as long as that so very worth it. We know how lucky we are. Now you do too, eh?
    Yeah. You guys are lucky....or maybe it was planned to end up in Jackson. I read about this place a bunch as a kid in Ontario (eastern Canada) and finally got here a few years back on the way back from a Moab bike trip in March.

Drove through Teton pass on the way home, was blown away and have convinced a buddy to come down to ski the last four years. We usually ski the pass and GTNP and hit JHMR if the avi danger gets bumped like it has this week.

Chatting with a few locals on the lifts today and yeah it seems the Ikon pass is not loved here. I enjoyed the ďIkonicĒ stickers in the tram line.

Quote Originally Posted by Paganini View Post
    Changing tack.

Leaving aside backcountry-etiquette questions, on Monday, after a fairly painful skin up 25-Short (and I didn't even do that much breaking), I left a stuff sack with a puffy+water+ lunch at the top of the skin track. While I was lapping, some kind person decided to pick up my gear, thinking that I'd "forgotten" it. Losing a puffy is one thing, but missing lunch really ruined the day for me.

If anyone has any information, please PM me.
    Hard to know when you see something left in the snow if its something that was left by accident and should be taken down because itís litter. Such a beautiful spot up there, you know. If I leave a lap stash I usually bury it so itís clear it was intentional, and I do it at the bottom of the lap so if for whatever reason you decide to bail earlier than planned you can ski down to get it instead of having to go all the way back to the top. Perhaps whoever picked it up had the same logic when deciding beween stash and litter. Or maybe you did obscure it and my theory is moot. If it was soemone that thought youíd dropped it, maybe gtnp visitor center has a lost and found.

Quote Originally Posted by Paganini View Post
    after a fairly painful skin up 25-Short (and I didn't even do that much breaking)
    deep day, which parts did you break?

Gates still closed today.
    Inbounds party time.
    Might have to dig out picnic rock!

Very large to historic size deep slab avalanche releases are possible on these persistent weak layers. These very dangerous avalanches could run long distances into mature forest, valley floors and flat terrain. These destructive slabs could be up to 6 to 12 feet deep at the highest elevations and 2 to 4 feet deep and wet at the lower elevations.

Conditions are still very dangerous. Up to 50 inches of snow with 4 inches of moisture has fallen in favored areas since Saturday. Temperatures will be warmer today and did not drop below freezing at the lowest elevations overnight. Very large avalanches could release naturally. Large human triggered avalanches are likely. Very large, destructive avalanches could run full path though mature trees and well out into run out zones. At the lower elevations wet slide activity is likely on a variety of aspects and may become widespread. Roof slides are a serious concern.
    ďLife has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.Ē
    Hunter S. Thompson

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33BF4A68-C193-4AA6-BD6A-B0E1FA883DFF.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	622.8 KB 
ID:	271647
    ďLife has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.Ē
    Hunter S. Thompson

Maybe this cycle will sweep some peckersnagger trees for y'all.

Stay safe friends
    PE, Mechanical Engineering
    University of Bridger Bowl Alumnus
    Alpental Creeper

I'm coming from tahoe to clog up your lift lines this Thurs/Friday. I'm a refugee of the massive Squaw lines who retired to a small powder haven an hour south of the big lake.

Looking at the photos has got me real worried -- what's your one piece of advice for not getting demolished by wait times? Will trade insider secrets for insider secrets.

Also is it an insane proposition to try to take the bus from Jackson to the village each day? Debating not renting a car

Well that didn't take long. Pass is closed due to avalanche, with a full lot of skiers. Hope no one got caught in a big one.
    Live Free or Die

While it was a colossal goat fuck yesterday morning, including the traffic from town, once I got out after lunch around 2 it was walk-on gondy via singles line and had a club car until a guy jumped in at the last minute (and he had IKON, but seemed cool). Then it was Thunder laps via single line with 0 wait time. And fresh turns everywhere until apres at spur.

Traffic/Crowds solved with more START or dedicated START/HOV lane on village road; ski train from stilson or jaxn (not high speed commuter rail, but relatively inexpensive). That north bridge will never happen, the guy you need to eminent domain is pres of world bank or some shit - prolly has a bit more juice than the elected ship of fools we have.
    كافر
    (Infidel)