Page 38 of 64 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    DJ - not making it out this week, now looking at end of March. Will be there at some point before end of season for sure

Seemed like a ton of people out today, but still managed to have a few runs with very few people around. First time to see the sun in how many days?

Got on the START bus at 10:19am and it was standing room only!

casper 1st thing this am
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_3811.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	272022
    4 box wait i had to get out.i think a train is gonna get pulled on breakneck and cody tomorrow

Name:	SAM_3817.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	272023
    4pines calling twice

Name:	SAM_3826.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	272024
    bell to bell, crusts already setup down low south and east

18/19 Jackson/Targhee/Tetons Thread- Ski the big red one

Rookie move to punt that line (re: granite rescue). From nps release “initial investigation indicates that four individuals: 24-year-old male from Jackson, Wyoming, 28-year-old female from Jackson, Wyoming, 24-year-old male from Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and 31-year-old female from Breckenridge, Colorado, rode the Teton Chairlift for a final downhill ski for the day. The group exited the ski area boundary by going under the boundary rope and entered an area closed due to hazardous conditions. As they skied down, two of the individuals got lost and the other two individuals were able to ski back to the Resort boundary.”
    Last edited by cdubski; 03-01-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Clarifying

Will be fun to see the final investigation and what happens, CORRECTION, Sounds like the pass is open

18/19 Jackson/Targhee/Tetons Thread- Ski the big red one

the terrain on the pass is so good, I really hope they never have to close it. but I don’t commute over it or plow it or do avy work there. in LCC they do temporary bc closures for avy control work; it sort of seems to work? been a while since anything skier triggered hit the road anyway. not apples to apples but still, perhaps an option for wydot?

Good write up on the pass slide on the BT event map . Skier who triggered it owns up, good for him.

http://jhavalanche.org/eventMap.php

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Good write up on the pass slide on the BT event map . Skier who triggered it owns up, good for him.

I’m glad Tucker is ok.

ya he's a mag, shared some good insights here over the years. Props to him for owning it for sure. There's been so many pass closures this winter that this one torched off the cumulative frustration. Hopefully some constructive collaboration will come up with appropriate mitigations, as it's getting obvious that something will have to change. Gofundme for a couple/three snow sheds anyone?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

The two who got lost in Granite were following locals who managed to loose them. They were rope jumping in and out down from Teton towards AV. Not knowing where they were they got sucked towards Granite and then found themselves lost. From what I heard they didn't have any concept of where they were going other than "follow me". They didn't have any "OB" plans or gear of any sort...they were just along for the ride following buddies aka the fucking idiots.

IMO the blame lies solely on the idiots who knowingly took them under the ropes, lost them in a cloud of white and then didn't go back and do whatever it took to find them...tracks duh. Fucking clown show for sure.

Two huge slides in No Name today, both cornice triggered and at least 8-10' crown on the bigger one...the second was betwwen the larger one and Once. Most of the big debris piles to the south were cornice failure types of triggers. Impressive stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1933.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	272059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1930.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	272060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1931.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	272061  

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    in LCC they do temporary bc closures for avy control work; it sort of seems to work? been a while since anything skier triggered hit the road anyway. not apples to apples but still, perhaps an option for wydot?
    WYDOT regularly closes Teton Pass for Avy control work. Usually at 3AM but during big storms at other times too. They use a remotely fired Gazex system as well as traditional cannon fire and explosives..

Is Tucker Jeff’s dog? 🤔 or did I read a different apology?

Quote Originally Posted by bfr View Post
    Is Tucker Jeff’s dog? or did I read a different apology?
    You read it right

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Props to Jeff for the write up

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    Props to Jeff for the write up
    Props for the report, but huge anti-props for skiing Twin Slides that day. So much other terrain out there that is both less avy-prone and doesn't have any potential to impact a state highway and jeopardize access to Teton Pass.

Sounds like the guy gets after it and should absolutely know better - classic self-absorbed J-holer that won't let any external circumstances get in the way of his workout/powder turns. I wonder if he rides Putt Putt when its muddy too?

Quote Originally Posted by gravityrideseverything View Post
    Props for the report, but huge anti-props for skiing Twin Slides that day. So much other terrain out there that is both less avy-prone and doesn't have any potential to impact a state highway and jeopardize access to Teton Pass.

Sounds like the guy gets after it and should absolutely know better - classic self-absorbed J-holer that won't let any external circumstances get in the way of his workout/powder turns. I wonder if he rides Putt Putt when its muddy too?
    How are you relating riding put out before July to a remotely triggered slide when a group attempted to make correct decisions? Do you really want us to stay home and don’t do anything until it’s 10000% safe? Sorry, I not bubble wrapping my life to keep you happy.

Go google Utah Avalanche remote trigger, a group of backcountry remotely triggered a huge slide a few winters ago when they were more then 500 ft away from the starting zone.

Snow science is voodoo, you can second guess everything, and it sucks this happened, but that’s life. No one got hurt, not one was in danger. Huge props to BC for being so active with keeping the pass safe this winter, but just as he said when he taught my avi 1, you can’t mitigate every single risk in life.

People leaving at noon?

Name:	E53A1A60-1845-4D4A-B876-FA62CB6C111E.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	564.0 KB 
ID:	272102

Where do you park when village and stilson is closed?
    . . .

Snow science is voodoo
    Uh no.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    People leaving at noon?

Those vehicles are parked on the road: if you get there late enough you can park on the road for free !

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    People leaving at noon?

Snow King looks pretty good right now...

Those cars are parked, that's overflow parking. One guy leaving though. I split by 10:30. How long until the decision makers begin to equate overflowing with overcapacity?

87th onto 1st box. Again, kinda weird. Interesting how far back you can be and still get on.

I launched down the bowl and pounded 3 R trails at Mach schnell because each time I rolled up it was between boxes and the run was empty. Kinda nice to air the roller with a salute for the schooler standing there. That's about where the fun ended for me as the masses swelled the liftlines everywhere. Suckage. 2 laps on Casper to look for friends and then out.

Lotsa folks going out north and south. A few bounders were on it through that whole cycle. Skiing risky storm pow, safely.

Generally the paper says your from here if you've lived here for a day, so not sure the two were bona fide. Nevertheless, all blame would appear to be on them. I can see that ropeline poach being further addressed now.

Chased the storm to Jackson this last week.. Rode lifts on Tuesday--shitshow... Then we did a little touring Wednesday-Friday... Woke up to bluebird on Friday which was a nice change for the week. Thinking your snowpack is going to go greenlight here soon! Here are a couple of photos from the week!

Name:	IMG_5629.jpg 
Views:	154 
ID:	272141

Name:	IMG_5637.jpg 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	272142

Name:	IMG_5515.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	272143

Name:	IMG_5608.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	272144

Name:	IMG_5799.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	272145

Name:	IMG_5829.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	272146
    is this thing on?

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    How are you relating riding put out before July to a remotely triggered slide when a group attempted to make correct decisions? Do you really want us to stay home and don’t do anything until it’s 10000% safe? Sorry, I not bubble wrapping my life to keep you happy.

Go google Utah Avalanche remote trigger, a group of backcountry remotely triggered a huge slide a few winters ago when they were more then 500 ft away from the starting zone.

Snow science is voodoo, you can second guess everything, and it sucks this happened, but that’s life. No one got hurt, not one was in danger. Huge props to BC for being so active with keeping the pass safe this winter, but just as he said when he taught my avi 1, you can’t mitigate every single risk in life.

Spectacular. You manage to be completely unaware that his actions impacted literally thousands of other people. The standard of care required is a little different than personal risk tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnuts View Post
    Chased the storm to Jackson this last week.. Rode lifts on Tuesday--shitshow... Then we did a little touring Wednesday-Friday... Woke up to bluebird on Friday which was a nice change for the week. Thinking your snowpack is going to go greenlight here soon! Here are a couple of photos from the week!

Name:	IMG_5629.jpg 
Views:	154 
ID:	272141

Name:	IMG_5637.jpg 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	272142

Name:	IMG_5515.jpg