Page 19 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    got some snow there in town eh djongo damn
    Looks like the Taco Bell couloir should be in.

Hit the pot shop, waxed my boards, packed the car. The old ladys pissed but i couldn't be more excited to hit the road and head east. Looks like ULLR has been kind.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

Again, Targhee did not disappoint today.
    Still gettin face shots at 3:55 pm.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Deepest day at JHMR for me possibly ever? It was just consistently deep, every run OB we found really deep snow. I’m really excited for the snow pack to stabilize in a day or two. So many things that weren’t skiable last week will now be in and fun.

SAR got called a second time today. Someone got into trouble in 4 Pines at the end of the day. Heli came in to get him.

I got a very hard no with the JHMR to Aspen sale when I asked about it to some buddies who work in very middle (probably lower but their egos think other wise) management. In the past when the rumors come out about JHMR, they always shrug it off and joke how interesting that would be. They have never really shot it down like this before. I thought that was interesting. If it’s Aspen that bought the resort, I think that’s the best of the worst case scenario. If KSL/Alterra falls apart, at least we will keep some independence being connected to Aspen. It is what is it, I’ll still ski better and deeper pow then the ikon idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

High Avalanche danger, let's ski big steep terrain. Apparently that's the Jhole way.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    High Avalanche danger, let's ski big steep terrain. Apparently that's the Jhole way.
    🤷♂️ that’s how some people roll? We decided to stay away from a bunch of big steep stuff due to the associated danger, and still found really deep good turns all day long.

I prefer not to be generalized by the worst decision makers of the community
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Hit the pot shop, waxed my boards, packed the car. The old ladys pissed but i couldn't be more excited to hit the road and head east. Looks like ULLR has been kind.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

We ordered up some fresh for ya.
    Drive safe.

ZZZ - damn straight the TBC is in, fuckin wind wave from the south is sweet and actually, I don't know if I'd hit it. That pitch and snowload is gonna go.

Yeah?

No.

Your assessment skills of the actual situation, are questionable.

Great day! So the sale rumors are true? I haven’t seen it officially anywhere.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Yeah?

No.

Your assessment skills of the actual situation, are questionable.
    Explain to me what I'm getting wrong. There weren't people skiing big steep terrain? The avalanche danger wasn't high?

[QUOTE=panchosdad;5584774]Explain to me what I'm getting wrong. There weren't people skiing big steep terrain? The avalanche danger wasn't high?[/QUOTE

2 people out of how many thousands?

That speaks for all in JH?

Yeah, people actually ski gnarly shit when it dumps up here, it's rad. You should try it after you enhance the assessment skills, cuz' see that's what's likely to keep you safe.

How do you not see the disconnect between people fucking up individually and everyone else who skis here?

For all we know it was 2 clucks from Florida and Texas. But how they did it was " the Jhole way " . Fuck that.

[QUOTE=Djongo Unchained;5584787]
    Explain to me what I'm getting wrong. There weren't people skiing big steep terrain? The avalanche danger wasn't high?[/QUOTE

2 people out of how many thousands?

That speaks for all in JH?

Yeah, people actually ski gnarly shit when it dumps up here, it's rad. You should try it after you enhance the assessment skills, cuz' see that's what's likely to keep you safe.

How do you not see the disconnect between people fucking up individually and everyone else who skis here?

For all we know it was 2 clucks from Florida and Texas. But how they did it was " the Jhole way " . Fuck that.
    Never said it was everyone, but JH locals have a long history of pushing it. Used to be that was on the Considerable days, now I guess it's High.

[QUOTE=panchosdad;5584792]

Never said it was everyone, but JH locals have a long history of pushing it. Used to be that was on the Considerable days, now I guess it's High.

Goddamn man.
    1. when you say it's the Jhole way, you imply everyone here.
    2. Your assessment of JH locals is questionable. Seeing a trend here.
    3. Now you got it...you're guessing.

Today's situation might be a bit of an outlier as endless on a day like today is borderline passive suicide. However, I'm with Pancho on this one, people 100% push it pretty hard here and more often than not get away with it. I'll be curious to see what gets skied out of the south gates tomorrow with a bit better visibilty.

There's no question that a lot of BOLD decisions are made in the JHMR sidecountry on a regular basis

No need to take offense at the simple generalization Pancho made
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

18/19 Jackson/Targhee/Tetons Thread- Ski the big red one

[QUOTE=panchosdad;5584792]

You are correct, we do have a history of pushing it, but some of us make better decisions then others. Also, look at the major incidents in the past 5 years, the vast majority are not locals.

What gets skied south of the village tomorrow? The snow has another day to settle, the temps are dropping, with some more cold smoke on top, probably everything? Tomorrow will be showtime for the big names. I’ll be out there for the show getting my pow turns.

Yeah Jackson locals push it, sorry you can’t arm chair QB.

OK I'll finish with this.
    The people who have lived here and skied the big OB, in real life, in high risk scenarios almost without fail are the safest chance you got. Period.

Skiing granite today was unquestionably risky. How many people skied it? He was not the only one. He fucked up. Many others succeeded all over the side and back.

Leave the JHole way alone. Whatever the fuck that is.

Bronic - Milelong, not Endless if that matters. Decidedly not the same risks from the two distinct entries. ML is cake comparatively and assessing ML at the top is pretty goddamn obvious, no? Big ass open bowl of snow, fuck, man I've cracked parts of the top more than a coupla times. And skiing the crux, if he did, was really begging for it. Conversely the trees on the left to start, then across below the rock onto the humpy ridge between ML/EL.

Also, a lot of those Bold decisions are made by clucks. Constantly. In my experience it's they that tend to fail big. Certainly not all, my friend Steve Haas made a fatal one and paid the ultimate price. And he was King of the JH ski bums.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post

Yeah Jackson locals push it, sorry you can’t arm chair QB.
    Sure I can, this is the fucking internet

Skiing granite today was unquestionably risky. How many people skied it? He was not the only one. He fucked up. Many others succeeded all over the side and back.
    "succeeded" ?? or got lucky...

Absolute best case scenario out there today was a 30"+ soft slab that accumulated in roughly 36hrs, which already constitutes "high" danger and a likelyhood of skier triggered avalanches. Add anywhere that saw wind and your likelyhood is increasing. I cannot for the life of me understand what kind of "assesment" could be made in the field that would give a green light out there. The assesement should have been done this morning at 7am after seeing the 2" of water that was just added to the snowpack in less than a day...

I mean well with my armchair quarterbacking, as I've been in accidents myself, and only want people to benefit from the conversation.

I'll leave this from the BTAC am forecast, first line:

"Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended today."

Vibes to those involved in the accidents today, and a big thanks to SAR that put their asses on the line.

I feel I need a heat check here to make sure I'm not getting old and soft.

Are we saying that there hasn't even been a slight uptick in the risk taking people have been making OB and on the pass over the past 10 years or so? I don't know if I would agree with that statement. The bar has always been higher here, but that doesn't mean the height difference hasn't changed.

I also agree with Djongo that it should not be a blanket statement that everyone is taking part in these risky decisions OB. There is some serious knowledge a lot of these guys have that you aren't going to learn in a book or by riffing on the internet that they have acquired over decades out those gates. I do not have that knowledge myself but there are plenty that do and I try to learn from those cats when I can.
    Live Free or Die

Hate to interrupt, but any of you ding-dongs going to see Hells Belles at the Mangy Moose on Saturday? I'll be there with the wife and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Hate to interrupt, but any of you ding-dongs going to see Hells Belles at the Mangy Moose on Saturday? I'll be there with the wife and friends.
    I’ve wanted to go to that show for 4 years, thanks for the reminder to get tickets! Hopefully some will be left

This is an ignorant statement. High danger does not equate to "don't ski steep terrain". So many factors go into the decision making process beyond the rating written up on the forecasting team's website. Have fun meadow skipping! Armchair QB of the year for ya.

Adi - Right on the money.

No question people ski the risky stuff more frequently today. Not that we didn't ski GC, Once, Twice, Central, Hourglass, Broken branch, Martinis, etc. over 30 years ago. Just was harder to make it happen. Christ, we had to have a party of 6, all approved by top JHSP, all equipped and rarely even strayed from sight.
    It used to be scarier, believe it. Ever seen ship's prow go to the dirt? Fucking big and field-wide. Barely likely today with all the skier compaction.

I chalk it up to fat skis making people think they are better than they really are. Amongst a few other recent factors/developments. Taking 208 GS skis into Milelong was a lot less appealing than a pair of short, fat clownshoes. Just getting to the top was a gotdamn 4 minute mile kinda workout.

Succeeded or got lucky? What's the difference here? Have ya ever gotten laid. It's kinda the same...

Right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A427DBD-7EA0-4872-B8B8-BBF2EF8AFC0F.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	514.2 KB 
ID:	268393
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain