Page 20 of 64 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    This is an ignorant statement. High danger does not equate to "don't ski steep terrain". So many factors go into the decision making process beyond the rating written up on the forecasting team's website. Have fun meadow skipping! Armchair QB of the year for ya.
    I think his wife is part of that forecasting team or at least is a well known, published and respected avalanche expert in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    This is an ignorant statement. High danger does not equate to "don't ski steep terrain".
    It does if you want a long ski life.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I think his wife is part of that forecasting team or at least is a well known, published and respected avalanche expert in the area.
    As well as an active Maggette.

Live and let ski. People both new and old in the area are going to take risks and get caught. I'm sure today the Orange means go crowd will get after it. I won't but I also won't lose sleep over those who do, it's their choice, informed or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    As well as an active Maggette.

Live and let ski. People both new and old in the area are going to take risks and get caught. I'm sure today the Orange means go crowd will get after it. I won't but I also won't lose sleep over those who do, it's their choice, informed or otherwise.
    Yes, True that, But, SAR and Patrol will make an attempt to save 'em and in turn endanger themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Yes, True that, But, SAR and Patrol will make an attempt to save 'em and in turn endanger themselves.
    Job security. But, agreed.

Vibes to those affected by the recent SAR call. Sounds gnarly.

Sounds like the Tetons have been renamed to pound town with all the snow you're receiving. It's all stoke-ajawea for me as I'm headed your with a pit stop to Bozeman tomorrow. Should be at the Village early next week with LBSkier, my lurker brother. There may even be a cameo by Hutash.

It would be sweet to ski with one or more locals.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Job security.
    Precisely. Those boys and girls embrace the risk with a shitton of skillz.

So the story...A long term local snowboarder was caught in the upper reaches, not exact, of Milelong; He rode it for about 80% of the distance...that's a ways! Dislocated hip, big pain. Dealt with it like a man, so said the responding patroller.
    He is notorious for heading into the furthest reaches fairly early. And maybe a little bit squirrely. But for the most part, normal BC user with a fair amount of local knowledge. Also, for those in the know, he spends his offseason surfing in some seriously obscure south pacific spots. He's a piece o' work, fosho. Also, He's in that 'Who cares' vid that Passholer dropped in here.

And yeah, he was on a splitboard setup.

OB from NoName to GC was busy today. Snow was excellent on my sideco/RS lap.

Skiing with SVS for the next week from the PNW hood.
    Would like very much to meet Bobcat, LBS, and Hutash. Will be available to roll witchu cats until I head out to BBI Alpy on weds. Holla.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 02-06-2019 at 03:42 PM.

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/the_h...f46af71e2.html

UPDATE 3:40 p.m.: A 55-year-old Jackson Hole Mountain Resort employee is being treated at St. John's Medical Center after being caught in an avalanche and suffering a neck injury.

"Ski patrol responded to the Spacewalk area for an avalanche," Sheriff Matt Carr said. "The injured person skied away to the base of Ralph’s Slide but at that point recognized the significance of his injuries. Upon initial assessment ski patrol felt he had an unstable neck fracture and called Search and Rescue."

The man was flown to the Search and Rescue hangar where he was transferred to an ambulance and was rushed to the hospital.

Carr said they don't believe the man ever got buried but they do believe he was carried and injuries after triggering the avalanche.

"Ski patrol made the right call," Carr said. "When you have an unstable patient, a helicopter ride is a lot better than bouncing out on a sled."

UPDATE 2:50 p.m.: A Jackson Hole Mountain Resort backcountry guide was rescued today after being caught in an avalanche in the Zero G and Spacewalk area south of resort boundaries. The guide was not working at the time.

Resort ski patrol received a call at 12:10 p.m. that a skier had been caught in a slide and suffered traumatic injuries, resort spokeswoman Anna Cole said.

"The person injured is one of our employees," Cole said. "He is a backcountry guide for us."

Ski patrol arrived on the scene and stabilized the injured skier. Ski patrol had alerted Teton County Search and Rescue, which arrived with a helicopter to extricate the skier. 12:23 p.m.

The man was transported to St. John’s Medical Center.

This comes on the heels of two separate rescues of backcountry skiers on Tuesday.

This is a developing story.

see that didn't take long (smh)

Holy shit! I get everyone has their own tolerance for risk and all that. But you can't out think the snowpack. It don't give two shits about your education, training and experience. There is an inherent danger that can not be mitigated (save explosives). Here is the briefing for today. I'll go back in my hole now while ya'll go on about decision making and such.

GENERAL AVALANCHE ADVISORY
    Since Saturday morning over four feet of snow, containing approximately 3.9 inches of snow water equivalency fell in the upper elevations of the Tetons and over two feet of snow and two inches of water fell at the lower elevations. Many natural avalanches have occurred of varying size over the last two days and although the snowfall has mostly ended, a possibility continues for natural avalanches to occur today at all elevations and on all aspects. Examples of reported natural activity includes slides on Mount Hunt, the Pyramid, Black Tail Butte and a west facing slope over the Teton Science School that impacted a parking lot. Skiers or riders who venture into steep avalanche terrain are likely to trigger slides involving recently formed slabs that have the potential to involve older snow layers. Yesterday, during High danger, a snowbaorder triggered a slide and was carried a long distance in the Mile Long Couloir in Granite Canyon. An inter-agency rescue effort, including GTNP Rangers, was able to remove the injured person who was not buried in the event. The rescue was challenging given the many slide paths that can impact the area during a big storm. Dangerous avalanche conditions exist and similar human triggered events could occur today. Cautious route finding and conservative decision making is essential today and recreationalists are urged to consider impacts to rescuers and friends as well as their own safety. The sensitivity of these unstable slabs may increase today in areas where they are loaded by west to northwest winds or in areas that may rapidly warm during periods of partial clearing.

NSR, but here is my shed today...

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

ECPT 9, 16” of storm slab on top of rain crust up Henderson in the Big Holes for me today. The meadow skipping however was superb.

18/19 Jackson/Targhee/Tetons Thread- Ski the big red one

When the guides are breaking necks, there’s something to be said about moving the chains on the risk tolerance scale and examining the finer points of avvy safety.

Shared a locker space in the MOB with several of those 50+ year old gangsters. Many have cut their teeth at heli ops in AK.

A lifetime of riding and you’ll definitely get into some close calls and injuries... but damn. Seems like the powder fever is clearly contagious...

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    When the guides are breaking necks, there’s something to be said about moving the chains on the risk tolerance scale and examining the finer points of avvy safety.

Shared a locker space in the MOB with several of those 50+ year old gangsters. Many have cut their teeth at heli ops in AK.

A lifetime of riding and you’ll definitely get into some close calls and injuries... but damn. Seems like the powder fever is clearly contagious...
    I agree. This one is really causing some deep thought on my part. When it comes to JH backcountry, those are two of the people I look up to.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Hate to interrupt, but any of you ding-dongs going to see Hells Belles at the Mangy Moose on Saturday? I'll be there with the wife and friends.
    Ill be there. Look for a 6’4” hammered irish looking red head. I’ll be the short glassy eyed guy with him.

Skibird I am glad to hear the recent incidents are bringing on some reflection.

I was a bit torqued by some of the bravado here recently. The avalanche problem is complex and part of being well educated and experienced in that field is understanding the problem beyond the blanket forecast. For my personal risk tolerance mile long on a high danger day with the amount of new snow was a bit greedy of a choice. But I accept that we all have our own tolerance for risk. A good adventure involves risk, taking on a challenge and using your resources to solve the problem. And most of the time we get away with it. Looking around at the Tetons and the number of people who cave, float, hike, ski, Mtn bike, snowmobile, climb, hunt, and come home safe, I see it as a numbers game. Some day you number will be up, or if enough people are out taking that risk there is likely to be an accident. So how are you going to play that numbers game? Is it worth it to you to have all that glory today? Or be able to get some of the next storm? Or be able to get fresh turns long into old age?
    As a rescuer I do enjoy helping someone in a time of need. What doesn’t feel good is, when the the situation is too risky to safely help that person. It is not a fun call to either put people in a dangerous spot, or not be able to help that person.
    A lesson learned from my own close calls and the ones I have responded to, slow down and think about those around you, your family, friends, co-workers. You have a bigger foot print on the earth than you might think.

^^
    Well put!

Aspen Powder Tours lead guide is a good friend. He was buried for 10 minutes this year. Not only did I think it could happen to anyone, but could I have dug him out in 10?

I think the influx of every swinging dick with an Ikon pass swarming the mountain is pushing locals to the backcountry on days they likely would have stayed inbounds.

The Ikon pass has definitely changed the character of the mountain. Welcome to the new JH.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    The Ikon pass has definitely changed the character of the mountain. Welcome to the new JH.
    Yep. When you get your Ikon pass it should come with an illustrated pamphlet explaining what single lines are, how to properly alternate in the lift line, where to wait for your friends, and tram dock etiquette.

Oh man, some Coloradbro got all huffy in the lift line for Teton on Sunday. Took his board off and stormed up to the front of the line only to get a massive call out from what had to be a 60+ year old grandmother. The embarrassment was just amazing and he had to retreat quickly.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Looks like the Taco Bell couloir should be in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_3783.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	850.0 KB 
ID:	268608
    its in and has some elk on top too

Name:	SAM_3782.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	617.5 KB 
ID:	268582
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_3781.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	758.0 KB 
ID:	268581  
    Last edited by passholer; 02-07-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: better pic

Quote Originally Posted by passholer View Post
    its in and has some elk on top too

Name:	SAM_3782.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	617.5 KB 
ID:	268582
    Poor Man's control work?
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    I think the influx of every swinging dick with an Ikon pass swarming the mountain is pushing locals to the backcountry on days they likely would have stayed inbounds.
    I second this

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    On the plus side I have noticed since none of them know where to go and have to basically stumble onto the real goods all my favorite lines last a lift ride or two longer while they all beater down the two - three groomers on the upper mtn.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    On the plus side I have noticed since none of them know where to go and have to basically stumble onto the real goods all my favorite lines last a lift ride or two longer while they all beater down the two - three groomers on the upper mtn.
    I noticed this too. Despite the insane crowds over the weekend, I knew not as many locals were hitting it when some of my favorite (but not obvious) spots were untouched far much longer than they would have in the past. Lapping Marmot with no lines while Thunder was crushed.

Also watched some true moments of idiocy on Tower 3, I typically don't bother because it's either scrapped away or I'm afraid some Jerry is going to run me over. One ride up Thunder I saw a snowboarder that shouldn't have been there that failed an attempt to hop turn, could not self arrest, rag dolled and took out three skiers that were standing in the middle of the run (also a no no). True facepalm moments.