Page 27 of 64 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE0DD131-4608-429C-BB9D-8B83792CE447.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	972.6 KB 
ID:	270185
    I just hope there isn't TOO much powder.

Plenty of J-Holers over in my neck of the woods this weekend for races in the storm. Today should bring better visibility and faster times than yesterday on the Paradise course.

Had the pleasure of showing a couple of longtime Jacksonites around our biggest little mountain in the area, some Bogus Basin inbounds goodness and a few QUALITY laps outside the ropes too.

Hope you had fun Jeff and Kevin! See you guys soon.

I’d like to clear up a few lingering questions people likely had about the slide Saturday. There seemed to be some belief that the slide had taken place in the Claw but that was not the case. We were not skiing in the Claw, and I don’t think the other party was either. For those wondering if we were familiar with the terrain the answer is yes, albeit I was not personally aware of Wolf Traps nasty reputation. With that being said, I and our group recognized the complex nature of the terrain in that area of the bowl and had planned to more or less avoid it. My partner ended up skiing over that way anyway which was a critical breakdown in communication. I’m still not clear when the other party entered the slide path or who was there when the avalanche released.

My friend who triggered the slide had his GoPro on at the time. The scene in the video generally proceeded as I described previously. My partner hit an air and proceeded to ski away, and there was no fractures or propagation caught on film as he skied down into the choke. He was skiing slowly and was smoked from behind about ten seconds after hitting the air. FWIW I did my best Zapruder breakdown of the footage and couldn’t spy any members of the other party down in the slide path as my partner was skiing after hitting the air. Would be curious to hear where they were when the slide released.

In regards to the search and rescue dispatch and helicopter we were not involved with that call. I wasn’t aware that 911 had been called and that they were sending a helicopter until some time later. I don’t really care about any of that, I only mention it because it seems like people usually want to know that sort of thing. For better or for worse calling for help was something that never crossed my mind.

I passed on a lengthy and detailed breakdown of the event and the decision making of our group to the avalanche center and might try to post it here at some point for people to read. I’ll see if I can add the GoPro footage at some point if it’s alright with everyone involved because it’s interesting to watch.

Happy to accept any criticism and discuss our groups decision making process further if people have questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted26 View Post
    I’d like to clear up a few lingering questions people likely had about the slide Saturday. There seemed to be some belief that the slide had taken place in the Claw but that was not the case. We were not skiing in the Claw, and I don’t think the other party was either. For those wondering if we were familiar with the terrain the answer is yes, albeit I was not personally aware of Wolf Traps nasty reputation. With that being said, I and our group recognized the complex nature of the terrain in that area of the bowl and had planned to more or less avoid it. My partner ended up skiing over that way anyway which was a critical breakdown in communication. I’m still not clear when the other party entered the slide path or who was there when the avalanche released.

My friend who triggered the slide had his GoPro on at the time. The scene in the video generally proceeded as I described previously. My partner hit an air and proceeded to ski away, and there was no fractures or propagation caught on film as he skied down into the choke. He was skiing slowly and was smoked from behind about ten seconds after hitting the air. FWIW I did my best Zapruder breakdown of the footage and couldn’t spy any members of the other party down in the slide path as my partner was skiing after hitting the air. Would be curious to hear where they were when the slide released.

In regards to the search and rescue dispatch and helicopter we were not involved with that call. I wasn’t aware that 911 had been called and that they were sending a helicopter until some time later. I don’t really care about any of that, I only mention it because it seems like people usually want to know that sort of thing. For better or for worse calling for help was something that never crossed my mind.

I passed on a lengthy and detailed breakdown of the event and the decision making of our group to the avalanche center and might try to post it here at some point for people to read. I’ll see if I can add the GoPro footage at some point if it’s alright with everyone involved because it’s interesting to watch.

Happy to accept any criticism and discuss our groups decision making process further if people have questions.
    The original call I saw was a unresponsive but, breathing burial. That alone will get you lights and sirens and a ship.

For those wondering if we were familiar with the terrain the answer is yes, albeit I was not personally aware of Wolf Traps nasty reputation.
    perhaps start here: https://thomasturiano.com/product/jackson-hole-backcountry-skiers-guide/

Page 36:

"This aptly named 400-yard-wide slope lures unsuspecting skiers with it's moderate top pitch, and then rolls very steeply through a pair of gullies, one known as WolfTrap where one lone snowboarders Pavel Volf was killed in an avalanche in Januaury 2003"....

https://buckrail.com/heavy-snow-shou...or-a-few-days/
    Name:  northridge-of-Rendesvous-700x466.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  70.7 KB
    maybe now they will open up tensleep and we can get some dwarf action

Kudos for taking a critical look at your decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    perhaps start here: https://thomasturiano.com/product/jackson-hole-backcountry-skiers-guide/

Page 36:

"This aptly named 400-yard-wide slope lures unsuspecting skiers with it's moderate top pitch, and then rolls very steeply through a pair of gullies, one known as WolfTrap where one lone snowboarders Pavel Volf was killed in an avalanche in Januaury 2003"....
    Considering I own/ have read through that book several times I’m disappointed I didn’t pay more attention to that section

https://sgbonline.com/alterra-cmo-erik-forsell-talks-ikon-pass-success-industry-consolidation-more/

Usage has really good this year, but it’s also been a really good snow year. If it only snows in one area of the country next season, we’ll see. But right now, we’re seeing people traveling more and higher usage than we anticipated

If its a tough snow year imagine many tens of thousands of IKONers decending on the few places with snow to "get their moneys worth" Fuck

Anyone else notice the kicker being built on the pass for a road gap? If we're on our last strike with WYDOT it might not be the best idea?

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Anyone else notice the kicker being built on the pass for a road gap? If we're on our last strike with WYDOT it might not be the best idea?
    Isn’t that on old pass road? Probably not an issue since it won’t affect the highway

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    What happens when the last strike happens? What will WYDOT do?

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Isn’t that on old pass road? Probably not an issue since it won’t affect the highway

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    There was one being built on the highway last night...

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    What happens when the last strike happens? What will WYDOT do?
    WYDOT will just quit plowing the top of the pass and make room for only a vehicle to pass. Hope they don't close it, but the way things have been going they have every right to shut it down and not have to deal with the shitshow the pass has become.

Hope the pass ambassador is in good cahoots with WYDOT and maybe can make something work out.

I'm pretty sure Pistono is the only reason there still is access, at least in its current form. Whatever that guy gets paid, it isn't enough. I imagine the bs he deals with daily couldn't be handled by most.
    Live Free or Die

18/19 Jackson/Targhee/Tetons Thread- Ski the big red one

It’s sad to say, but I’d be for some sort of program that includes a shuttle system and backcountry awareness hut on the pass, in lieu of the free parking. Make everybody park in Victor or Stillson, shuttle their asses up top and charge $10 a head. Make ‘em read the avalanche bulletin in the hut and sign out. Locals pass would be discounted. Hate on me if you want, but there will come a time that this COULD be necessary.

^^^

Not a bad idea, but my fear is that if WYDOT does in fact stop plowing the turnouts people are just going to park willy nilly on the road, get the big orange sticker, get a ticket and/or get towed creating even more of a shitshow.

Although not a bad idea to shuttle people back and forth and to have a check-in hut I'm still not sure who would fund it or fund the shuttle services initially to get it off the ground. I'd say we should make Todd and Steve pony up the dough.

wydot has to plow top lot. that will not change.forest access will always be avail there.the sky is not falling like some would like you to believe.Name:  imagejpeg_0.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  248.1 KB

Says who? You? I don't think Pistono would throw that out on Buckrail if it was just conjecture.

I don't think they should cut off access ultimately so hopefully the pass crowd gets it together and self regulates.
    Live Free or Die

18/19 Jackson/Targhee/Tetons Thread- Ski the big red one

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    It’s sad to say, but I’d be for some sort of program that includes a shuttle system and backcountry awareness hut on the pass, in lieu of the free parking. Make everybody park in Victor or Stillson, shuttle their asses up top and charge $10 a head. Make ‘em read the avalanche bulletin in the hut and sign out. Locals pass would be discounted. Hate on me if you want, but there will come a time that this COULD be necessary.
    If you want to insure and permit this I think you’re looking at way more than $10/head

Quote Originally Posted by passholer View Post
    wydot has to plow top lot. that will not change.forest access will always be avail there.the sky is not falling like some would like you to believe.
    they also plow the weigh station over near the state line. Used by a good number of skiers every winter. Have you seen how many skiers are allowed to park there starting this winter? Big Fat Zero.

Naive to think they cant do the same to the top pullout.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    they also plow the weigh station over near the state line. Used by a good number of skiers every winter. Have you seen how many skiers are allowed to park there starting this winter? Big Fat Zero.

Naive to think they cant do the same to the top pullout.
    Umm, actually, WYDOT ended up being really good to work with about the weigh station. I worked on the issue starting in March of last spring (after my husband got a warning for parking there), and finally, after I contacted a couple of journalists, they called me and the Teton Basin Ranger District Chief Ranger Jay Pence, who was truly helpful and diplomatic, and said that they would keep maybe 50 feet of the west side of the parking lot open. So we decided to do a "soft opening," and WYDOT removed some of the No Parking signs. I heard that one of the swing arguments was that WYDOT didn't want to put out a press release saying that they were closing parking up there, with all the current issues in the spotlight. Not sure where that puts us right now, but we better stay on our good behavior.

yeah, heard there was some progress. thanks for your role in that. mostly responding to the assertion that there will always be access to the top - wydot can shut it down, even if they continue to plow it for non forest access related reasons.

Seems like folks dont want to address the “stay on our good behavior” aspect by blindly stating that wydot can’t and won’t ever do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Says who? You? I don't think Pistono would throw that out on Buckrail if it was just conjecture.

I don't think they should cut off access ultimately so hopefully the pass crowd gets it together and self regulates.
    wydot has one job to do up there. plow the road and the upper lot. they don't have a choice.