Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by peterbmoorman View Post
    and now this.....https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...b365126b0.html

“I’m grateful for this special place,” Londy said. “But the thing that made Jackson so special to me was that we didn’t have lift lines, and it seems like there’s been a shift in goals in recent years."

Is that new goal to make money??????
    “They’re easy to spot” lol.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Unless the human race stops screwing each others brains out and the population of the world shrinks, lift lines will continue to get longer.

Get educated, go find pow further away from the lifts, put some work in, the pow is there to be had.

I know we all want to bitch about something, but the ikon is here to stay. You can either get caught complaining out it, or find ways to beat the crowd.

I personally vote for another tram, but this one from the bottom of RS up somewhere really high. To get on it you need have avi gear, sort of like what Bridger Bowl has. . Talk about starting a riot in Jackson, that would do it in a heart beat, adding a lift and expanding the boundaries south

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    No doubt. I don't know if it'll be Alterra, but I think a sale is on the horizon.

Well thats a bit different that talking about the long term viability of the business. I got more of a they are doing this to 'survive' vibe from your post as a result.

Word on the street is even though skier visits are up revenue in f&b and retail is down. They made the events tent into a brown bag lunch place apparently because people were taking over tables in restaurants so I kinda believe it. Parking has to be way up though, but I think that goes to TVA and isn't associated with the ski corp.

If that is true I could easily see Jackson being like, nah I think we are good with 80% of the visits from a higher paying clientele. Everybody is happier minus the ikons.

I do think Jackson is one of the few places that could think that way and could conceivably tell them to pound sand. Otherwise, I'm sure Boyne and their resorts are like fuck yeah make it rain for example.
    I certainly won’t be going to JH while
    It is Ikon, unless I too am Ikon.

Went there twice in the early 2000s and very much enjoyed the lack of lift lines. Same with T-ride (now Epic).

People buying the cheap season passes to travel tend to spend less on f&b. The crowds will drive away those willing to pay for 4seasons, eat at top of Gondi and buying day tickets of the quality of experience (read more crowds) goes down.

I imagine many folks flying here for the holiday will be spending president's weekend stranded at DIA or SLC.

Bowl is smooooth today. Was super busy in the morning but thinned out rather quickly. Heavier on the lower faces, but still quality riding.

How abouts a mini Tetons TR:

My college buddy and sometimes Tahoe mag came to visit for a few days. He's a member of the Icon family...He wanted to check out some climbing in Teton Canyon so we went up prior to this storm cycle. We originally were intending to check out the Boy Scout Camp ice but with good stability and weather we deviated to the Mack Tyson Pillar (RIP Andy). Its in amazing shape, the skiing out was fantastic.

Cawww CAWWW!!

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    How abouts a mini Tetons TR:

My college buddy and sometimes Tahoe mag came to visit for a few days. He's a member of the Icon family...He wanted to check out some climbing in Teton Canyon so we went up prior to this storm cycle. We originally were intending to check out the Boy Scout Camp ice but with good stability and weather we deviated to the Mack Tyson Pillar (RIP Andy). Its in amazing shape, the skiing out was fantastic.

Nice work!!!

My Targhee tickets fell through. Does anyone have any passes they are willing to let go of? Will be at the Ghee on Monday (so the 2 for 1s are blacked out) with my son who's looking at BYUi.

Jackson Hole Mountain Resort: Deepest February Ever!
    (Teton Village, WY, February 14, 2019) – With 97 inches of snowfall on the upper mountain since the start of the month, February 2019 is now the deepest in the resort’s history. With 18 inches of snow in the last 24 hours, the base depths at the upper mountain measure at 99 inches. Jackson Hole Mountain Resort (JHMR) is experiencing some of the deepest snow conditions in the country right now.
    “Its been dumping almost non-stop this month,” stated Vice President of Operations, Tim Mason. “The one clear day we’ve had this month, we hosted the Kings and Queens of Corbet’s event. It was incredibly fortuitous that we experienced the weather window to hold the event and showcase the tremendous snow conditions for the athletes,” Mason went on to note. Guest arriving this holiday weekend are in for prime mountain conditions, with more snow forecasted through Saturday morning.
    JHMR and Teton Village Association (TVA) would like to remind guests to use the START Bus or carpool to Teton Village this holiday weekend. Peak parking rates apply in Village parking lots and transit to and from the Stilson parking lot is always free.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JHMR feb 14.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	364.6 KB 
ID:	269817

Yeah, im pretty far away from there but it sounds like on hell of a storm cycle! Social media hype or all time Febuary? Hmm, locals chime in?

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Social media hype or all time Febuary? Hmm, locals chime in?
    Read the thread, they have been!

Just got my lunch lap in and it got super warm and heavy spring-like. Balls are so sweaty they stuck to the guy's leg next to me in the box.

Just finished a week at jhmr and targhee. Been coming down for about 12 years. Great snow earlier in the week when it was cold. Able to score fresh tracks all day in bounds. I wouldn't say the lines are any longer than they have been in my experience. Keep in mind I am spoiled skiing lake louise where if I have to wait at all I'm surprised.
    Gorbies?ikon? I'd say yeah there are probably more but that has always been the case with the village. Plenty of hacks but on a big snow day when the skiers are out jh gets hit hard in a few hours.
    The southern flow has been refilling in everything nicely. The ghee didn't get quite as much but zero waiting, foot to 2 feet of wide open surfy pow hard to beat.

Biggest thing I've noticed is how all the cheaper options for food and such has diminished in jackson. Definitely geared to the wealthy vacationers.

Either way still doesn't suck. The locals come out hit their first two hours in bounds and then exit.
    If anything I'd say the pass gets way more traffic than it used too.

Still great and worth coming.
    If anyone is coming north to Banff area let me know.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...b365126b0.html
    I haven't seen this link posted on this thread yet, so thought put it up here. I'm sure the problem is partially IKON, but if you think about it, SLC/northern UT is getting very populated and even though they have a ton of resorts, I think you still get lot's of people from there. Also southern Idaho's population, and especially SW Idaho is expanding big time, (seems every other person has moved here from Cali). JH is easy access for all of these people, even by car.

If I owned JH, I'd attack the lift line problem with 3 things:

1 - Convert Thunder and Sublett to HSQs.

2 - Put a new HSQ in, (named Lower Sublett) from the base of the South Pass lift to the current Sublett lift.

3 - It might not be huge, but I'd not allow sightseers on the Tram on "Powder days", and even on "regular" days only after 1 PM.

4 - Back in the day, JH used to have a multi-tiered day pass. It was one price for all lifts but the Tram, and then it was a higher price for the Tram. As I recall, if you bought the lower price one and wanted a tram ride you could buy a single ride ticket. They maybe should look back into something along those lines.

My logic for the HSQ expansion is as follows:

If you take the 2 existing old/slow quads and convert them, you will get a lot more people up the hill quicker, and yet it seems that everyone disperses pretty well once on the slopes, (I don't see people running over each other over on AV or the new Teton lift). The masses stay on the groomers and the better skiers/riders get to enjoy more powder runs. Some may argue with the concept of a "lower sublett" lift, but if you think about it, it would take a lot of pressure off from the tram lines and still give people plenty of options for finding the goods. Also, it would ONLY have skiers/riders on it who had already negotiated the steep stuff to get there. I'd still never put a grooming machine on any of that terrain that it serves and that would keep most of the Jerry's out.

Here's what it would look like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JHexpanded.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	269853

This guy is smart.

I bet they put a lift up the headwall before detachable quads replace anything.

crashidy had a pretty good synopsis, and I’ve been doing JH trips for ~30 years. So yeah, word got out somehow. It’s so crowded now, nobody goes there anymore.
    I sure as hell didn’t tell anybody.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    I’ll take that bet. HSQs, Thunder first then Sublette, will go in before a chair up the head wall.

From what I've heard, they are currently looking at possible new alignment for whatever replaces Thunder and Sublette. The problem with detachable lifts up there, especially Sublette, is that they can't run in as much wind as a fixed grip lift. There was possible ideas of trying to tuck Sublette just on the other side of the ridge in Tensleep Bowl to keep it out of the wind a little more.

The headwall hike was my go-to for fresh pow up until noon or later on a big day at JH. I hope they don't put a lift there.

Just do what Europe does and put in lifts on every mountain. Problem solved. Now's the time. Have DJT declare a national emergency and build those ski lifts!!!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

What's the word with the new "no music" policy for the lifts?

Also,
    Officially on the anti-Ikon wagon.

Idiot Ikon decides it's a good idea to cut in front of everybody in the singles line to join his friends....had to call him out and he still stays in line. Not cool especially on a powder day.

Don't these Ikon idiots know you wait for your friends THEN get in line!!!

From a guy who triggered a slide on 4 Pines today "I was solo so cruised the trees down the nose. Avalanche triggered at the rocks lower down. I was surprised to be caught in an avalanche on a day when it was only considerable." Can't make this shit up.