Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    santa delivered light, fluffy and deep goodness for xmas
    untracked all day bell to bell. what a day.

You guys sure have a nice set-up. On Monday before I left, my Victor friend and I did two laps on the pass. The parking lot was full but there were only a handful of tracks in what we skied (a decent amount of which skied bottomless), and it’s pretty nice to ski 5000’+ of descent for less than 2500’ of bootpack/skinning.

Plus it seemed like everybody knew each other; my buddy knew people in both cars we hitched in and then ran into another old friend of hers on the pass.

I know it’s a bit of a rat race for most people to stay there, but man, pretty nice place to be a skier. I mean, obviously, but the more I go the more I appreciate what’s unique about it.

Another skier takes a long scary ride today south of the village. SE shoulder of Taylor was powder over weak crusts over facets. Classic "scary Moderate" conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Another skier takes a long scary ride today south of the village. SE shoulder of Taylor was powder over weak crusts over facets. Classic "scary Moderate" conditions.
    http://www.jhavalanche.org/viewAdvisory

wow! i almost gave that a look on xmas but giving its aspect stayed left of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    So the spacewalk tumbler dislocated his hip and was in a real painful way. - Trollerspeak; I skied beneath it first run and could see it wasn't ready. Not surprised though that the localish guy couldn't wait to try it.. 3'-4 ' crown, slid to the dirt almost.
    funny that we were just talking about that area being a dumbass magnet

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    You guys sure have a nice set-up. On Monday before I left, my Victor friend and I did two laps on the pass. The parking lot was full but there were only a handful of tracks in what we skied (a decent amount of which skied bottomless), and it’s pretty nice to ski 5000’+ of descent for less than 2500’ of bootpack/skinning.

Plus it seemed like everybody knew each other; my buddy knew people in both cars we hitched in and then ran into another old friend of hers on the pass.

I know it’s where people go to escape the rat race
    and maybe we gave you the wrong impression but FIFY
    fun skiing with you mang
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    I like seeing this video again too bc it has our beloved old dog, Willie, who passed away 2 yo

anyone see one of the posters in the garage that I asked Jeremy Nobis to sign as "Still Nobis" jajaja
    very nice, vid. i'm sorry to hear about willie.

Sent from my SM-J727V using TGR Forums mobile app

The mrs and I are on the road now. Arriving in town tomorrow and sliding on snow Friday. We will be around through 1/5 - if anybody wants to make turns, give me a shout! So pumped to be back, love les Tetons...

Lots of rocks popping up. Major runs are getting scraped clean.

It's been SSS lately - Sunday Ski with S'Django so hope to see our latest visitors for what looks like some excellent storm skiing
    https://forecast.weather.gov/product...n=1&glossary=1

Saturday night is also the storm show movie showing at Snow King- always a fun time and is more local
    https://stormshow.com/
    skid luxury

Feels like 8000' is a notable division between fat and bony, at least on the pass and general area. In the low elevation world, there's a lot of facets and not much else. Above 8 there's still buried surface hoar and nsfx, but not much of a slab on top of them, so no consistent propagation, except in crucial spots like Broken Branch etc. Sounds like we should tune up our avalanche eyeballs if we get an inch of SWE as predicted for Saturday into Sunday.

Sent from my SM-A600A using TGR Forums mobile app

Skied w/TFT and the special lady friend today. Good skiing if not a bit firm. And busy.

Pushed hard early for laps before the crowd. R bowl was testy to start with a skiff of cold dry sticky as hell in the troughs. Subsequent trams treated us to excellent carvy chalk as we trolled for more hashed underfoot.

Cheyenne woods, Sub laps, a few ganjalas, Casper laps and a Teton lap for measure. Fun but ready for some weather.

I do enjoy skiing with Baby Bear. Solid all arounder methinks: Skis strong, giggles and very safety conscious.

We plan on first box sunday so meet us! Also shooting for the 6 showing of DM's movie...

i heart skiing with the baby bear too! hope she and her
    *bestest jhole ski hubby* attend the 19BBI@Sillytude
    stoked to reski with the djongo’s at 19BBI@Alpental too
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    It's been SSS lately - Sunday Ski with S'Django so hope to see our latest visitors for what looks like some excellent storm skiing
    https://forecast.weather.gov/product...n=1&glossary=1

Saturday night is also the storm show movie showing at Snow King- always a fun time and is more local
    https://stormshow.com/
    All in for both of those.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Feels like 8000' is a notable division between fat and bony, at least on the pass and general area. In the low elevation world, there's a lot of facets and not much else. Above 8 there's still buried surface hoar and nsfx, but not much of a slab on top of them, so no consistent propagation, except in crucial spots like Broken Branch etc. Sounds like we should tune up our avalanche eyeballs if we get an inch of SWE as predicted for Saturday into Sunday.

Spot on IMO, small pockets that can pop and take you into bad places seem to be the thing to strongly avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    We plan on first box sunday so meet us!
    I'll plan to get out there early on Sunday.

Fun day on the south side of the pass! 4 laps on different aspects and elevations.

Would definitely stay lower angle and away from convex features - had some cracks propagate several feet cutting across a NE aspect, and a big wumpf mid turn on a SW aspect.

Lots of tracks and large groups out today, but there’s still bottomless and fresh turns to be had our there. My love affair with the Tetons continues...

A few pics from today!

“Crying for some pow”
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2191.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	325.6 KB 
ID:	262019

Best snow of the day.

Name:	IMG_2197.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	257.7 KB 
ID:	262021

Name:	IMG_2196.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	262022

Pow Day!
    Ski Shop

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Off work at 745 in Star Valley tomorrow AM, hoping to be at the Ghee 11. The pow stake is going bonkers tonight! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktPv...ature=youtu.be

What a day. JHMR needs to start paying Djongo and BBear for their guiding services.

Djongo - thanks for the morning, one for the record books. I agree with your claim that we had the best morning out of everybody on the mountain. L is fired up and we are both in the tram line early tomorrow.

Bbear - such a blast skiing with your crew. Couldn’t ask for a better group to ski with. Apres brews were killer too...

storm skiing yesterday is better appreciated now after last nights wind show.
    wind pack on anything exposed . 10k ski tix today..busy busy .. i will we touring the pass tomorow
    happy new year!

Pretty quiet in Mail Cabin. Deep for sure, and a bit cracky where the wind hit. But where the wind didn't hit...ha!

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    What a day. JHMR needs to start paying Djongo and BBear for their guiding services.

Djongo - thanks for the morning, one for the record books. I agree with your claim that we had the best morning out of everybody on the mountain. L is fired up and we are both in the tram line early tomorrow.

Bbear - such a blast skiing with your crew. Couldn’t ask for a better group to ski with. Apres brews were killer too...
    If the locals are still braving the holiday crowds, any chance I could join in on these groups starting Wednesday?

Well hell, another funday of pow with TFT and his Special lady friend. After he and I had a great am yesterday we 3 just did OB laps today puttering around in shin to kneedeep for miles. Easy adventures in the sidecountry...

Honestly I bet we connected 15 miles of boottop pow. And then some deeper too. I got stalled in a hip deep drift for lack of speed and fall line, oooof!

Had a perfect front flip to burial, getting jacked on a hidden rock. Still low tide out there. Fun...

Mrs. TFT impressed me today, skiing in good but challenging deep pow. It's good to see someone who wants to get better, actually try, and show results in a day. Solid.

For the number of tourists, trams were pretty quick. prolly 2 car wait max. Heard yesterday was the record skier day at 10,300.

Passholer's assessment was spot on regarding snow changes.
    Folks on the first box were amped for more of yesterday but no, not without some advanced looking. We worked many aspects today finding deep windblown pockets all over. The wind escalation and directional shift was something.

Swerve - we missed ya the other morning, Looked hard in the maze and after the dock loaded to see if you were on Box2. Knew if you were there, you were gonna want to bust a move anyway. See ya at next chance.

Skeeze - pm me and we can try and connect for some laps...

Hiked up and over Glory today, skied some great SW facing shots above Coal Creek. NW shots in the same area were wind hammered with punchy snow and difficult to ski.

Had the place to ourselves. Got a hell of a workout breaking trail up there! Hope somebody gets to reuse our skin track... Plenty of knee deep settled pow on the SW pitches that skied fast.

Loved the powder skiing, but that high speed luge track exiting out of Coal Creek was a friggin hoot too!

Great day in the resort. Casper Bowl and the Crags opened, so I lapped that all day. A bit wind affected, but I didn’t cross many tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums