Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1582
    Best of luck DJ. I follow your posts and you have really been keeping the JH stoke level high around here this winter and keeping this thread buzzing.

My acl was my first real injury a few years ago at 43. For me it was a way bigger mental hit than physical and it took me longer than I wish to put the mental bullshit behind me. Took me a couple three years because I am not a gym rat but after some IT band issues early season I was back to waiting around for everybody to catch up this year and definitely playing in the bumps again finally which felt awesome.

That snow was funky at the Big. Refrozen with grabby chalk on the north facing stuff. Definitely was tip toe material at times to get through it with a soft dance. Sometimes the snow snakes get you anyway. Vibes.

More old guy post acl stoke.

Thank you everyone so much!!!

I don't want to jinx the thread vibe so we'll maybe peter out the knee conversation, ok? For those of you that know me, I am not one to ask for help. I am going to have to work on that and will likely reach out a bit on this account.

This town of ski bums is fucking rad. And not just the peeps who live here, but those who love it from afar.

I would have bet the world against it, but this place is changing who I am. After losing faith in a lot of skiing related aspects, I have gained a much broader view of what skiing means to others.
    I am not alone. There are a gazillion people who love it, just like me.

I put a ton of faith in my Locs: Supergaper, Passholer, Swerve, Skijunky, Schwerty - these guys are for real. Would put them up against most, for skillz and cool quotient. And them's just the tip of the iceberg...Baby Bear is showing her greatness already. My new good Friend, she is.

Thx again for all the advice. Knee feels pretty good today, less pain and increased flex w/less swelling. First consult this week for scheduling. Will drag my ass to gimp central now...heh.

ps - I was quite looking forward to the 100 day skiers breakfast today, oh well. Wanted to hear the speech from the new Prez, Mary Kate. Prolly just as well...

pps - that mental thing you all reference, that's for real. Dag, my head is busy with internal conversation; mostly about having to adjust my work-season. Gonna impact income and plans. Still better than a broken Femur, right?
    Time to Sesh!!!

pulling off season-ending surgery at the end of the season.

mag stoke much? Pishwa

ask!

/thread
    "knowledgeable in escapades of the flesh"

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Here, let me stoke yer fires...

Whilst playing with the Big Sky crew, I managed to explode my ACL, and a partial tear on the lateral meniscus and the MCL. I did ski down the North Summit snowfield and some other dicey chutes to the hut for a Gorilla Glue sesh cuz' I wasn't getting no rescue.Then sketchball one footed to the base, and a 3 hr. drive home.

But it happened at the end of the season, Hooray!!!!!!!

Surgery commences next week.

First major damage/ surgery from skiing ever in 40 years. I am a lucky dog!
    Congratulations on the long streak, but sorry it came to an end. Heal up.

Back to stoke, now
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Here, let me stoke yer fires...

Whilst playing with the Big Sky crew, I managed to explode my ACL, and a partial tear on the lateral meniscus and the MCL. I did ski down the North Summit snowfield and some other dicey chutes to the hut for a Gorilla Glue sesh cuz' I wasn't getting no rescue.Then sketchball one footed to the base, and a 3 hr. drive home.

But it happened at the end of the season, Hooray!!!!!!!

Surgery commences next week.

First major damage/ surgery from skiing ever in 40 years. I am a lucky dog!
    Goddammit man!
    As a veteran of several acls and whatnot they are NBD.
    I get my foot surgery Thurs so see you in gimp central and the green or snake later this summer and fo sho jxn next season!
    RECOVERY GOALS!
    Healing vibes all around...
    And a double shot of see splats fkna sauce!Name:  FB_IMG_1551742195242.jpeg
Views: 1376
Size:  92.2 KB
    Bunny Don't Surf

Ghee skied really well today, if next week's storms pan out I'll probably skin some laps on the hill while the lifts are closed if anybody's interested.

Eagles Rest coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by xtine View Post
    Eagles Rest coming back?
    Yeah, parallel to the Bridger Gondi, where the old terrain park used to be, and the old Eagles Rest lift shack is currently.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Yeah, parallel to the Bridger Gondi, where the old terrain park used to be, and the old Eagles Rest lift shack is currently.

Yeah I get it, I just don't get the line of thinking in replacing it with a fixed grip quad. Who will ride this? Solitude station seems perfectly fine and it didn't seem crowded to me? What is the long term thinking in this?

It would be pretty sweet to get a big park back. I suspect my mid thirty year old knees will disagree though.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by xtine View Post
    Yeah I get it, I just don't get the line of thinking in replacing it with a fixed grip quad. Who will ride this? Solitude station seems perfectly fine and it didn't seem crowded to me? What is the long term thinking in this?
    Itís not going to go all the way to the base, just a beginner lift to take pressure off of Teewinot.

And the park isnít going back in under the Bridger Gondi either, the new Eagles Rest will only be beginner groomers.

Seems like lightning profits from the ikon pass on fire instead of using them for more skiable terrain, aka Rock Springs Gondi/high speed quad.

Well, this thread kinda died down quickly, once the red box quit running . Maybe I can breathe a little life into it with some human powered Teton stoke.

I thought I'd post in this thread because this isn't really a trip report, just some pics and a vid from the Exum Live to Ski camp that I did last week. We got in some ski rappelling, a little belayed down climbing, some steep skiing and a brief bear sighting (with tracks) -- all in one day in Avalanche Canyon.

Name:  LiveToSki.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  92.2 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MonicaRappingIn.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	279913

Name:	TheDownclimb.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	279914

Name:	RyanSkiing.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	279915

The story on the bear sighting is this: We were in the trees, doing some debriefing just about a quarter mile up the canyon from the lake. I happened to look up and I thought I saw a large shadowy figure moving thru the trees about 30-50 yards away. I immediately discounted it and told myself I was seeing things - probably a dumb thing to do in bear country - and I didn't even mention it. A few minutes later, as we put our gear back on and headed out, we immediately ran across the tracks. It looks big enough to be a grizzly track, and the claw marks seem pretty extended, but I am no expert here. So, black or griz? Any experts out there that can tell from my photo?
    Name:  beartrack.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  152.4 KB

Super cool bear prints. Size is sort've tweener between black and grizzly and can't tell claw separations from the images here. How far in front of the pad were the claw marks?

Good identifier - could you tell if the knuckle prints were all in front of the pad prints, or around it like a sunburst? Again, hard to tell from the photo, but they seem around it, which would lead me to think Black Bear. Big one.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Super cool bear prints. Size is sort've tweener between black and grizzly and can't tell claw separations from the images here. How far in front of the pad were the claw marks?

Good identifier - could you tell if the knuckle prints were all in front of the pad prints, or around it like a sunburst? Again, hard to tell from the photo, but they seem around it, which would lead me to think Black Bear. Big one.
    I don't recall on the knuckle prints, but on the claw marks we did take note of those and they were out in front, like 1 - 1.5 inches as best as I can recall. They were distinctive in the snow and I had hoped that my camera shot would get that definition better.

Sweet stoke and viddy there, Cody...

Nat is such a great guy/guide. Wish he skied the villy more, used to guide there some.

Your love for skiing is so fucking great man. You go to some serious lengths, to get the goods. Solid work my brother.

Targhee expansion

Any thoughts on the Targhee expansion plan? I've never been over there, but the terrain off the South side of Peaked looks pretty sweet. How sun baked does it get? Is this actually happening or is this another pipe dream?

Quote Originally Posted by norrin View Post
    Any thoughts on the Targhee expansion plan? I've never been over there, but the terrain off the South side of Peaked looks pretty sweet. How sun baked does it get? Is this actually happening or is this another pipe dream?
    They release these periodically, people always overreact and then change always comes very, very slowly. Some of it is already happening, some of it will probably never happen, and some of it will slowly happen over who knows how many years.

All in all the new plan looks sick, and I don't really have any complaints. I think that south facing stuff will be awesome on storm days, and then maybe the day after, but then will probably be nuked pretty soon after that. However, it would be really cool to have some legit south facing spring skiing around here, so I'm stoked!

I think the plan looks pretty sweet, although I don't really see much more than a lift in the cat ski terrain going in anytime in the near future.

I don't see this being some huge change to the ghee at all either. Everybody already knows it dumps there. I am interested to see how much of a Jackson ikon exodus shifts over there though. I think that should be the biggest worry. Aggro vibes at Targhee seems silly.
    Live Free or Die

I miss Slim.

Targhee tends to move very slowly when it comes to this sort of expansion, having said that, I keep wondering about a Vail purchase fast tracking the work. Yep, spreading rumors and conspiracy theories, hope I'm wrong.

Former admins Tye and Advres having a beer in ATL and laughing about JH and TGR. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1192.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	401.4 KB 
ID:	280577

Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I miss Slim.
    I wonder what he would have thought about the ‘Me Too’ movement...
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

^^^^^^^^ Hehehe, I bet not much; and it woulda been quite the convo just explaining it.

Info on next season's Pass prices :

11/28/2019 - 4/12/2012

full pass : $1469 before 5/31/19 or $1299/bypass

$ 1655 from 6/1 thru 8/31 or $1465/bypass

These all include an Ikon base pass free...

I wish I could subtract the price of the Ikon from the overall price or at least trade it for a parking pass.

Spring has sprung here in JH and the yards are greening up a bit. Still snow to the base of the ski areas. Mountains are still deep in the white. Gonna be an interesting runoff this year. Still getting flurries and a few inch deep squalls.

Biking, Boating, Hiking, Climbing - all right around the corner if not already started.

Word on the street is that the Disney Princess will black-out employee season passes on weekends and holidays.
    And the transferable passes the resort sells to local businesses will also be blacked out.
    And if you buy the 30% off grand pass through your company, that pass doesn't include Ikon bennies.

Major 'fuck you' to the locals and business community.

The unintended consequences will be more people skiing the pass. People that likely shouldn't be there. And they'll be there when they shouldn't, like during avy control work.
    كافر
    (Infidel)

bastards. man i hope that's just an idea they're kicking around and they get some bad feedback. can we build another teton pass?