Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    So JHolers, can someone provide a little information about the near miss last week. It seems to be very hush hush.

Well it was on Buckrail within like 10 minutes, which seemed pretty public locally.

Seemed like a perfect example of 'Teton Considerable' where pow fever clouds judgement for everyone that day. Notably on the pass, where I could see a couple hundred tracks on the same aspects as what slid at the vill the same day.

I did hear Insomnia had been bombed twice prior to opening, so not sure the vill could have done much more in this scenario though. I feel for the patrollers, not the way you want to start the season.

I do wish they made more BC incidents public though. I think there is a lot of jabroni behavior that goes unchecked. I've heard of a couple sketchy ones already but no real details.
    Live Free or Die

I agree that they put out more info faster than in past incidents
    But I had noticed it was not on the avi event map the next day, although it was mentioned in the report
    Here's the JH news & guide article with some more details
    https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...8035824b6.html
    in the pics you can see some bomb holes pretty close to where it broke
    skid luxury

I think it was in the avi report — maybe in the eve report and not the morning one?

Hopefully this isn’t one of those super sketch years where Gondi buildings and such get pummeled. But it seems like the case here—bombed the runs a bunch but it didn’t go until that mass of public hit the slope. Not the first time.
    Def sucks to be one of the patrollers —similar to when the bomb unleashed avy on the new Gondi building glass(wtf?) railings

Doesn’t look like street foods is opening in the Aspens, it will be Butter 2 (breakfasts). I’m getting taco-anxious...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Doesn’t look like street foods is opening in the Aspens, it will be Butter 2 (breakfasts). I’m getting taco-anxious...
    Have you tried Fiesta on Alpine yet?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

yea that weak layer is ugly! during that time I kept walking the dogs and wanting to take pictures of the beautiful magical hoar but also hating it knowing what it meant for the snowpack
    tram and sublette opening this w/e- wahoo
    had heard they didn't have enough lift ops to open all the lifts but I also noticed about a dozen new J1's in the grocery store so maybe they got a few thru the wall

I'm just a weekend warrior but always psyched to ski with any weekenders. sounds like most of you so far are here weekdays which is a good choice
    skid luxury

Thanks.

Those us us not dialed in to the local info haven't heard anything first hand. Lots of rumors, 5 full burials etc. That JHnews article helped.

From the look of that picture it was a big pocket, glad I wasn't the one to call it good to open but it is early season, shit does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Have you tried Fiesta on Alpine yet?
    Not since whatever it was in it’s last incarnation, which was meh. What do you recommend there? The biggest thing about Street Foods for me was the Habanero Salsa.

Have you tried the one on Glenwood and Pearl?

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    I agree that they put out more info faster than in past incidents
    But I had noticed it was not on the avi event map the next day, although it was mentioned in the report
    Did it remote-trigger from below or was there someone up in Insomnia?

** edit -- answered my own question, probably -- with Sublette closed there's no legit way to get into Insomnia. It broke at the cliff band, right?

Not since whatever it was in it’s last incarnation, which was meh. What do you recommend there? The biggest thing about Street Foods for me was the Habanero Salsa.

Had Breakfast at Amerasia where Scratch used to be, great food, but, no Taco!

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    I think it was in the avi report — maybe in the eve report and not the morning one?
    ya it was mentioned in the report comments but it’s still not on the avalanche event map which is a bit odd but nbd
    skid luxury

I haven't tried the new incarnation either, yes, had lunch at the old Sanchez/San Juan the other day, carnitas were great but nothing is inexpensive.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    Holy crap. What a way to start the season. Soooo glad nobody died, that would have sucked. Good reminder it's never a bad idea to wear beacons in bounds.

Got dam chilly today.

Squeaky snow is right BB.

Gonna try and meet up tomorrow with Kokomas and Eagleskier at the fireplace at 11, Open to all...

I'm more concerned about the lack of tacos at the Coach than the slide.

My 2 cents: spoke to a coupla troll friends for input, was on Thunder prior to this event and checked it out after.

Mrs. sick rick Armstrong was a good person to be close as was Scotty. Both local savvy. I bet that loud yakking pack of ski clubbers set it off. seriously.

It would appear that most made it past the path, it cracked and caught the next few people including the last kid. I think they were the under 12 group, so strong enough to get around but young enough to be inexperienced in moving snow.

I took pictures from the skinny skier traverse into the under experts zone. Kinda hard to see what's up. I'm lucky to get the camera in my pocket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR1304.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	258703
    This is just off the chair, forward to the saddle then facing north heading out beneath Claustrophobia and Insomnia rocks. The crack, oot of site still is up and left beneath the first outcrop and into the chute between.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR1306.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	258704
    The fracture line to the left and above is about 18", def less than 2 ft. to look at.

I was on the 3rd chair up Thunder. Took a lap, then another and the line had exploded as the ganjala finally got fired up.
    I split to Points north, then heard about the slide at thunder as people started rolling to other lifts.
    I split.

while on thunder we initially assessed the experts and noticed they had slid considerably more in the main drag. This area is maybe 150 yds away on a sketch early season traverse, and may not have been blasted from above.
    Hard sayin', not knowin'.

That pocket beneath the rock is lower angle than all that around it. I suspect that the crack initiated at the looker's upper rt. corner, in the chute and propagated out left and down. And so, carrying more snow than normal. The news picture shows that better, methinks.

The pocket is historically stable and is a standard big air test piece LZ. Lege, of the AM snow report fame, regularly stomps full layout backflips there.

And that line in 2 ft of blower is got dam epic. It begggs you to launch air. It's on a down draft path too so the snow moves a lot in the Expert chutes.

It has been speculated that 5 Mags would have skied it out.

edit: I'm piecing info together so my synopsis of the events may need correction.
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 12-06-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: CMA

I messaged the Butter 2 Facebook page asking where we would be able to get Street Foods tacos, they answered back that “Street Foods *probably* isn’t going anywhere, stay tuned”.
    So there is hope.
    This is obviously a matter of dire importance to me!

I messaged the Butter 2 Facebook page asking where we would be able to get Street Foods tacos, they answered back that “Street Foods *probably* isn’t going anywhere, stay tuned”.
    So there is hope.
    This is obviously a matter of dire importance to me!
    I doubt they will stop makin that delicious habanero salsa! Love that stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Did it remote-trigger from below or was there someone up in Insomnia?

** edit -- answered my own question, probably -- with Sublette closed there's no legit way to get into Insomnia. It broke at the cliff band, right?
    It was triggered from below...the skiers on the traverse were the trigger.

From the JHSC:

"Notes from the JHSC Executive Director...
    Dear JHSC Community,

The well-being of all JHSC athletes is our number one concern, and I am happy to report that everyone is OK! That said, we experienced a scary situation this past weekend.

On Saturday December 1st, at 9:55 am, an avalanche occurred within the ski area boundary of the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. The slide occurred in an area known as Amphitheatre Bowl, which is accessed via the top of the Thunder lift and directly below the Expert Chutes. The Thunder Lift and this specific terrain opened for the season at 9:23 that morning. Avalanche hazard reduction methods had been performed on this terrain for several days in advance of opening it, including the day of the accident (details below).

Our U14 Head Coach, Kevin Keane, and six U14 athletes were on the pitch when it slid. One of these athletes was buried up to his neck and one athlete was buried completely. Several people skied away unaware, several skied out of the moving debris and 5 people total were partially buried to varying levels. All five people were uncovered in less than 5 minutes by their group, assisted by nearby witnesses. No injuries were reported.

The detailed and official report of this accident can be viewed here.

The main thing we are focusing on, and most importantly, everyone is OK! We are truly thankful! Even though that is the case this was quite a scare for all our families, the boys, the coach, and the Club and community as a whole. But, again, thankfully, everyone is OK.

I want to give our coach, Kevin Keane, some deserved recognition and support for how he handled the situation and helped ensure the best possible outcome for these boys. He put their physical and psychological well-being first every step of the way, and he was clear and diligent in his communication with the parents of the boys, and with Club leadership. Many who were officially involved with this event commented on his stellar performance in this type of situation. This was the case with the boys involved as well. They handled the situation as well as can be expected and showed their true colors, and several have commented on this directly. The boys, their parents, and the Club should be proud. "

link
    -----------------------------------------
    Kevin's a good dude, glad it worked out for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    link
    -----------------------------------------
    Kevin's a good dude, glad it worked out for everyone.
    Nuts. Glad everyone is ok. Interesting accident report.

So it takes the ski club to actually produce a firsthand account.

I'm on the fence with the ski club kids; their sense of entitlement on the mountain has been getting noticeably worse. I wish the coaches would teach them a little more about etiquette and manners while skiing.

I expect above average skiers of any age to understand concepts such as don't stand in a group in the middle of an active run, or beneath a blind roller.

They can effectively hijack a slope in short order.

Contrarily, I would take the jhsc kids over the clucks in the ski school with no qualms.

Are these the bitches that budge the tram line?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Are these the bitches that budge the tram line?
    Yeah, it's a nuthouse when a bunch of them get on the box. And it sux when 40 kids get on and the trammy won't add extra adults. That's only 20 adults I explain.

Math is not a requirement for employment there. Christ, right now a pulse can get you a job at the vill. Minimal English acceptable. A ski hill most skiers would love to work at, can't pay enough to attract one full roster of lifties.
    But they have a bunch of clucks as speed wranglers standing around freezing their nads off.

2 days ago, after blasting past the spd. wrangler about 5 times, he decides this time he's gonna yell at me. As I roll past him, he yells and I see the woman patroller standing just off the groomer. She looks up, I point to her and she grins at me.

That's JH for ya. I noticed later in the cafe', that the speed wrangler was from New Orleans. Perfect.

Skied yesterday with Koko and Eagleskier. Interesting that Eagle's lineage is a large local family that helped pioneer this valley. Hope to connect again today and as you might expect from that 60 yr. old, he is a rocket on skis.

Koko and I got our DH on and cranked a few roundhouse turns on upper crags.

LTD...

I don't really mind the ski club kids, they are no worse than any other race team. But the coaches tried to leave about a 10 foot wide swath of trail available to ski at Snow King on Tuesday. (Lunch laps represent). Fuck that noise, I came to ride not sideslip, so blasted some sweet turns round em on the snowboard to massive side eyes all day. I know Snow King is their home base but they don't own the joint.

It is pretty funny though to listen to vill employees complain about lack of hiring. There is a solution ya know...
    Live Free or Die

Things are rough all over.

Same shit up in Big Sky, not enough employees, early season snow and limited terrain for the base depth.

Kids Race teams, kids freeride teams, kids free style teams yadda yadda.

And worst of all, it is beginning to look like a real deal el nino kind of a season. I hope I am wrong.