Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    If you want to be cool, please don't say "Cali". I doubt you'll find more snow than here, but good luck. Lot's of time to come back and visit as Mammoth plans to stay open til 4th of July.
    Is that usually weekends-only after Memorial Day or ???

Nope, 7 days a week or at least always was in the past. Only about one third of the mountain is open though. But Spring skiing off the top rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

This^^^^^
    It's a religious pilgrimage kind of thing; I'll trade most multi-day mid-season trips for a Spring (usually May for me but it was July in 2017) trip to Mammoth.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    This^^^^^
    It's a religious pilgrimage kind of thing; I'll trade most multi-day mid-season trips for a Spring (usually May for me but it was July in 2017) trip to Mammoth.
    It is a pilgrimage.
    I see the same people every year from all over.
    4th of July weekend 2017

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    ...It's a religious pilgrimage kind of thing; I'll trade most multi-day mid-season trips for a Spring.
    Ah. Ye olden dayes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

^^^^pretty sure I was there when this pic got captured.

Mammoth is the spring is fucking awesome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	August 6, 2017.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	269919
    August 6, 2017 Last day of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Is that usually weekends-only after Memorial Day or ???
    Like he said, open seven days a week. Everything moves to the main lodge side, and the hours are around 8-1 pm, or close to that. Good times.

7:30-2 when I was there Memorial Day. 7:30-1 after that. Hardest part was getting up early enough to get fresh cord.

Name:	IMG_1670.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	345.5 KB 
ID:	269934
    If your heading up 395, it's closed North of Bishop due to whiteout conditions/blowing snow. Update-As of 12:30 pm 395 North of Bishop appears to have reopened.

Name:	IMG_1662.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	701.1 KB 
ID:	269935
    I drove down from Reno earlier and barely made it. This was just South of the June Lake junction.

Name:	IMG_1666 2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	757.4 KB 
ID:	269936
    The winds were smoking over the ridges.

Woke up today with more cold, blower pow (10-12 inches) on the mtn, less crowds, and a day with equal parts sun at times followed by clouds and snow. Overall temps stayed super cold which kept the snow good all day long. Top never opened, but it sure looked good the few times you could see it. Didn't get as many shots of the mtn as I wanted cuz my battery died, so tomorrow I'll post some more, but here's a few from today.

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	921.6 KB 
ID:	270429
    The snow banks are huge around town. Feels like your driving thru tunnels. Here's one of the smaller ones next to my truck.

Name:	IMG_1681.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	270430
    Going up chair 22. The cliff band under the chair has almost disappeared.

Name:	IMG_1680.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	270431
    Tree's were the place to be today. The Bear, 22, and drop 10 shown here all had the goods.

Name:	IMG_1684.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	430.7 KB 
ID:	270432
    There it is! Top looks epic. If your here now, be out early as it should pop.

Name:	IMG_1686.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	520.6 KB 
ID:	270433
    The Top late in the day as seen from Old Mammoth.

Name:	IMG_1689.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1,004.2 KB 
ID:	270436
    Looking towards the Sherwins. Rock Chute looking very filled. Business is ramping up over the next few days and if your coming up the conditions are stellar.

Nice shots as always ESS. I will be heading up Friday am unless something very weird happens. Hope the locals enjoy the top.

Amazing weekend, like most of Feb! Mini Comish and I were in line for the top and would have been 1st car!?!?! They came by at 130 and said they would let us know at 230 if it was gonna go. I would say around 2:15 they announced it wouldn't pop, BUT they were trying to open backside of 3. Now why they can open the backside of 3 and the high T and not the top is beyond me. The mountain has actually done an amazing job of not opening the backside of 3 till they open the top the last bunch of years, but something must have been up on the top. Soo, we got a few laps on the high T until ch3 broke at 345. Not sure what was wrong, a few rumors, but I got nothing substantial to pass on.

We also got a pretty early chair 3, prolly 10thish chair on ch3 when it opened which was fun. Definitely a cold day and a cold wait of things.

So the top won't be quite as stellar with all those traverse tracks running across it, but it was fun!

What a February!!!
    Last edited by comish; 02-19-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Woke up yesterday (Tues) to clear, cold conditions and Mammoth's nemesis, a ripping East wind over the top. My truck temp gauge read 3 deg when I rolled into the Canyon lot.

Name:	IMG_1695.jpg 
Size:	925.2 KB 
ID:	270649
    The Top about an hour before it opened taken from the top of 22.

Name:	IMG_1743.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	270650
    Riding up chair 1. Rock jump is almost gone.

Name:	IMG_1744.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	270651
    Gravey chute is turning into more of a bowl.

Name:	IMG_1749.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	270654
    The Top opened with some heavy wind effect. Chunky and slabby in most spots.

Name:	IMG_1754.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	270657
    Top of dropout had a few turns of windblown snow before it chunked out lower down.

Name:	IMG_1755.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	270660
    Top of Wipeout. You could smear your way down that wind spine for your first couple turns.

Name:	IMG_1757.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	270664
    Got tired of the wind and headed over to ch 12. Found some really fun snow over there in the tree's.

Name:	IMG_1760.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	270665
    Chair 14 and tracks coming down out of Dos Pasos.

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	270666
    The Out Post at chair 14. You can ski right up to it.
    Took today off from skiing. Try to post some more pics tomorrow.

Has anyone been touring this week? ESAC made it sound like the rain crust was pretty pervasive and not well covered up. We were thinking about heading to the area for a change of scenery for the next week or so, but things here in Tahoe have been amazing, so I don't want to deal with crap conditions.... TIA for any general impressions of the BC snow conditions.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Today was good. Saw a guy on Old School Lhasa Pows. I tried to catch up to him to ask for change but didn't catch him before we went the other direction

Another great day, solid blue bird day with a little dust over soft pow made for some fun turns early on. Lots of people today, so hitting June tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Today was good. Saw a guy on Old School Lhasa Pows. I tried to catch up to him to ask for change but didn't catch him before we went the other direction
    I doubt it was me but what top sheet, yellow?

Thursday continued a string of cold days with highs staying in the teens. The plus side is blower pow remains in the tree's along with the 6-8" of new snow. Howard said that this has been one of if not the coldest February's on record, along with the snowiest.

Name:	IMG_1768.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	633.8 KB 
ID:	270995
    The back of ch 3 & the high traverse opened around 10:30 a.m.

Name:	IMG_1767 2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	623.4 KB 
ID:	270996
    These guys were lined up long before 23 opened. It was way to cold for me to stand around, I had to keep moving.

Name:	IMG_1769.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	270997
    It's downhill into the G2 entrance at McCoy.

Name:	IMG_1771.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	737.6 KB 
ID:	270998
    Super sign out in front of McCoy is at eye level now.

Name:	IMG_1773 2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	270999
    Tunneling into the Main Lodge.

Name:	IMG_1774 2.jpg 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	271000
    It's a sun deck year!

Name:	IMG_1776 2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	623.0 KB 
ID:	271001
    Looking down at some buried houses as seen from the village gondola. They almost look like tiny homes with the amount of snow on and around them.

Looks like a couple days of fair weather before the forecast becomes uncertain early next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    I doubt it was me but what top sheet, yellow?
    Nope, the old green top sheet

Another great day, solid blue bird day with a little dust over soft pow made for some fun turns early on. Lots of people today, so hitting June tomorrow
    L2S, did you hit June? Anyone been there lately? Thinking of checking it out!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D! View Post
    L2S, did you hit June? Anyone been there lately? Thinking of checking it out!

2nd time I have been there. I came to the conclusion that for me, it is a great place to hit on a powder day while I am in Meadow Skipper mode. It is pretty tame, but the trees are fun and if you need something steep, just ski the face. It was nice to skip the Saturday shit show at Mammoth.

Edit to add pics. The back country by June looks unreal. Can you find the skin track in pic 2?

Name:	June 1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	271185

Name:	June 2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	271186
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Wind machine still works

2nd time I have been there. I came to the conclusion that for me, it is a great place to hit on a powder day while I am in Meadow Skipper mode. It is pretty tame, but the trees are fun and if you need something steep, just ski the face. It was nice to skip the Saturday shit show at Mammoth.

Edit to add pics. The back country by June looks unreal. Can you find the skin track in pic 2?

Name:	June 1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	271185

Name:	June 2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	271186
    I was definitely thinking of skipping the weekend craziness at Mammoth for something more mellow and fun with the family. Pics look great!

Unless your family all like to shred the gnar, June could be a great option. Kids 12 and under ski free, which could help many families out. Years ago I tried to get my wife interested in skiing. I got her a couple of private lessons that she really enjoyed and then I put her on the beginner slope at Mammoth. She got knocked over twice by other newbies and said fuck it. I told her about June and showed her a couple of photos of empty runs and she was like "I would try that". So there is still hope for me. Have fun.

June is a great little mountain in many respects. Skied there many times when the kids were little, and other then the ride up J2 perfect for them. Did some lessons there, and "group" lessons are often a private a group price. Had some incredible pow days there as well. Not the steepest hill, but runs right off the top are challenging as is the face when in shape. Not to mention the trees and OB options.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot