Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    The hill skied surprisingly well today. Chased around ESS for a couple hours, good times.

Up high is holding firm but chalky snow. It will hold an edge if you keep driving into, but dont fall, it will be a long slide. Lower aspects and more south easterly area soften nicely in the AM, but dont get too manky bu rhe PM. Chair 5 was surprisingly fun, left over wind buff with low, rounded well spaced bumps. Fast and fun, but not a place you want to fall.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    ESS, official photog of stoke for teh maggots. Thanks for the pictures.
    No worries bro and you are very welcome! I’m glad to hear you like them and that they help keep the Mammoth stoke going.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    The hill skied surprisingly well today. Chased around ESS for a couple hours, good times.
    Right back at you Hutash. Great meeting you and good skiing with you as well.

Another fun day yesterday (Monday) as Mammoth continued to ski well with a mix of winter and spring conditions. Met up with Hutash and skied the morning with him. We skied the ch 25 & 9 side early before heading up top. Met up my GF at lunch, then headed back up for the rest of the afternoon. Here’s a few random pics from Monday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72A3AF0F-E73C-4AF8-AD3A-4CA378D27673.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	706.3 KB 
ID:	274992
    Chair 9 with some sun softened snow and empty slopes. Skied well all day.

Name:	714E49E6-0E10-4819-8106-4D6589BB547D.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	799.0 KB 
ID:	274994
    Dave’s late in the day. A bit of a West wind started to blow and that helped move some snow around. Snow’s good up top, but it’s firm enough that you don’t want to fall. Saw a couple long distance sliders in the last two days for the first time this winter.

Name:	84E778F9-1ECF-484B-9EAB-8DD90D7A3C07.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	604.7 KB 
ID:	274996
    Face of 3. While it seemed busier first thing on Monday as spring break starts, by late afternoon it seemed like most people had called it a day.

Name:	4FB1E640-7921-41D8-A9D2-66B9E3B84352.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	754.3 KB 
ID:	275000
    Did two laps down Clinax late in the day. It might have been the most bumps I’ve skied all year with the constant storms Mammoth’s had.

Name:	ACA4E379-88F5-4CC7-97CE-D7742D45856F.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	985.4 KB 
ID:	275003
    Entrance into the top of Avi 2 has gotten is boney after all the traffic thru it. Better route in is from Avi 1.

Name:	609B1D47-2D3D-4CB2-A371-D3D47CAE0D2F.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	886.3 KB 
ID:	275005
    Looking down Avi 1. This was the last run of the day. Far skiers right next to the trees is a good line.

Name:	7DC7EF3E-C2BC-4B53-98B1-4BA4EA1DC54D.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	653.5 KB 
ID:	275009
    CL parking lot. It's always funny when I show non skiers a picture like this and they ask if it's real or photoshopped. It's real.

Name:	B366E723-D76B-4F78-9F84-7209E7A56FEC.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	804.6 KB 
ID:	275010
    Sherwin Creek Rd. Went for an evening walk with the GF. Watched the sunset behind the MTN. Great way to finish a stellar day. No Monday blues around here. I’ll post some pics from today (Tuesday) later this evening. Cheers!
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 03-19-2019 at 07:03 PM.

Woke to cloudy skies, snow showers, and a few bombs going off up on the upper mtn. Ski patrol sight was reading 7" of new snow. I didn't make it up to the hill today (Wednesday) due to excruciating foot pain, i.e. the mother of all corns on my little toe. Went down to
    Sure Foot for some pain relief & boot work and the report from Todd was "it's funky & punchy in spots, dust on crust in other spots."
    Sounds like it was variable at best. Plan to be back out Thursday for sure. Did see something of interest in the Canyon Lodge parking lot that happens every year. If your a veteran of the CL, you've probably seen this before. If not, it's a chance to learn from others mistake.

Name:	IMG_2042.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	275232
    What's wrong with this picture? If you answered bad parking by Southern Californians, you're half right. Let me paint the picture. This is the upper lot, almost under the Village gondola. Never park on the side hill with front tires on the ice from the snow bank, and the back tires on dry pavement. During the day as the temp changes, the front tires give into gravity and slide down hill.

Name:	IMG_2043.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	275233
    In this case, the black Ford Explorer (up hill vehicle) slid into the 4 runner.

Name:	IMG_2041.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	275239
    Then the 4 runner is pushed into the Tahoe below it. I've seen as many as six cars sandwiched together. Don't park on the side hill.

Name:	IMG_2046.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	275234
    And just to prove this isn't a freak incident, 50 ft up the hill is another set of vehicles. These ones got off a lot easier with no dents or scratches. This only happens when the snow from the banks melts during the day, freezes at night, and the ice is parked on with the front tires, while back tires are on dry pavement. These folks think they just snagged a spot close to the lodge and life's good. Park where it's flat and walk the extra distance. No skiers were harmed in the filming of this incident. Enjoy the mtn.

I never park in the CL lot, as I have a super secret side street spot for ski in and out when I go over there. Eagle is so close to where I stay, I just park there most days and start on that side of the mountain until it closes in April.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Mammoth 2018/19 - Queen of the Eastern Sierra

Just saw this. Very sad.
    Snowboarder Falls To His Death Just Outside Mammoth Mountain.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/...-mountain/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Just saw this. Very sad.
    Snowboarder Falls To His Death Just Outside Mammoth Mountain.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/...-mountain/amp/
    That's really sad. I was on that Dragons Tail traverse on Saturday, and it there were some semi-sketchy portions but nothing too crazy. I'm guessing he went skiers right on the traverse instead of skiers left, which is what put him at the top of the cliffs... and sounds like was lacking proper guidance/routefinding.

Poor guy, didn't deserve that fateful end.

Today (Thursday) was one of those days that if you didn't like the weather, wait five minutes and it will change. It was a mix of sun, clouds, flat light, and a few snow showers. The snow was a mix of funky wet pow around 7-10 inches deep that was ok when it was untracked, and got worse after it was pushed around. Also with the sun higher in the sky, anything facing South or East got crusty and weird. Overall it was a fun day, with two standout runs late in the afternoon.

Name:	IMG_2071.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	589.8 KB 
ID:	275364
    Just before the top opened, with the high traverse almost turning into an uphill skin track.

Name:	IMG_2073.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	715.6 KB 
ID:	275365
    Guys were traversing all the way out and half way up the noids. By the time 23 opened half the top is skied out already.

Name:	IMG_2087.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	763.9 KB 
ID:	275366
    I got one decent run off the top on the far lookers left of Daves (Romas) along the tree's where I could get some contrast.

Name:	IMG_2088.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	670.7 KB 
ID:	275367
    Took another run off the Gondi and skied in the Rock Garden area. Not good. Couldn't see anything, snow was rock hard.

Name:	IMG_2078.jpg 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	275368
    Skied down to ch 9 around 2:00pm. The snow down low was chunky and funky.

Name:	IMG_2083.jpg 
Size:	848.4 KB 
ID:	275369
    Higher up it wasn't bad. Check out the boarder coming right down the chairline.

Name:	IMG_2089.jpg 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	275370
    I was about to call it a day, but I decided to roll the dice and head out to that place where I've scored all winter long. F@ck yeah!
    Got my best two runs of the day out here. As always it's got the deepest, and least affected snow. A legit run! Headed right towards that tree with the dead top below me.

Name:	IMG_2091.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	275371
    Looking back up towards the tree with the dead top from the prior picture. Best run of the day with the deepest snow.

Name:	IMG_2095.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	563.4 KB 
ID:	275372
    Went back and skied the same line one more time. When I got to the top of ch 9 the clouds were rolling in fast.

Name:	IMG_2102.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	651.1 KB 
ID:	275373
    Hoping to get one more run off the top, I headed up ch 2 and was greeted with this wall of clouds. Ch 23 is out there somewhere. Time to head back to CL.

Name:	IMG_2110.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	309.1 KB 
ID:	275374
    Did a last run up 16 as the sun came back out. Off duty instructor coming down lower avi 2 bowl.

Name:	IMG_2103.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	973.5 KB 
ID:	275375
    Act 1 with some fun back lit bumps. Fun day.

Name:	IMG_2097.jpg 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	275376
    I would like to give a shout to the guy that took the time and effort to carve into the snow bank a set of stairs, making access to the slopes much easier. That's my Tacoma on the right, parked in the upper Canyon lot at the top of Davison. A nice surprise and made getting to my truck way easier.

Name:	IMG_2099.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	275377
    Props to whoever took the time and effort to make a set of spiral stairs that make access much easier. I saw him earlier and thought he was a utility worker. Thanks dude! Back out tomorrow, hoping for a bit of a break in between systems. Cheers!

Mammoth has been absurd the last few days. Thursday the top popped for a fun powder day. Fun turns in the Paranoids and Climax before they shut it down due to visibility. It was not super deep, you were sometimes hitting crust underneath, but it was still fun. Friday was a blast. I alternated between Hangers, noids and Wipeout. There was crust around, but also some very good turns, particularly under Hangman's. Hangman's was okay up in the chute, or bowl, a couple of good turns then a couple of crusty ones, but the snow under it was awesome. I ended up lapping it many times. Saturday the top was not open, but snow started to fill up late in the day for some fun turns. Today, Sunday, was awesome. You would hit bottom from time to time, but there were still great turns to be had. I had a blast in P1, and I was skiing Hangman's to 23, than P1 to the bottom. I did a bunch of those lines. Hangman's was great, the snow up in the chute was soft and edgable, you could really tear through it, then the snow under it was beautiful. It was one of the best Hangman's days I have every had. I ended up going into Philippe's later in the day. It was scoured, or slid off, and above the rock was hacked up and bumpy. After the rock was smooth, but still firm. But underneath was soft pillows of pow. Overall it was a great day. What a season it has been. I really hope some of the rest of you guys were there.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Just rolled into town with non skiing wife and the fur kids. What to do with them? Any fun places for long walks? Maybe rent snow shoes? What?
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Just rolled into town with non skiing wife and the fur kids. What to do with them? Any fun places for long walks? Maybe rent snow shoes? What?
    Drive to the gate on Lake Mary Road and walk it to the top of Twin Lakes.
    Stop at Tamarack for a drink on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    Drive to the gate on Lake Mary Road and walk it to the top of Twin Lakes.
    Stop at Tamarack for a drink on your way.
    Thanks, we will try that tomorrow. Skiing was so fun today. Two words, wind buff.

had a great week at mammoth!
    wed thurs fri and sunday were pretty damn good, I miss the old hometown hill
    really stoked on having a mammoth pass again, this spring is gonna be fantastic!

Wield mix of dumping snow but some sun peeking through today.

Ski’d Dave’s, Dropout, & Paranoids on the All Mountain MSP 99’s.
    Snow is quite good. Big change from the cold snow I was skiing right when I got back from Spain. Spring is here. Good times!

Left on Sunday after a long, and fun, stay in Mammoth. I can't be there this weekend but should be back on the next Friday. The coverage is really great right now. It should be an awesome spring, but the mountain keeps getting refreshers. What a season. I just would love to see Varmits fill in a bit more.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Hopefully they are open until August again. I’ll definitely be out if they are.

i wanna hit mammoth before the end of the season. will may still be good? or should i try and get out there in april?

June was good two years ago.

Typically it depends on the day and cycle. Best spring days have a freeze overnight and a light breeze to keep things from softening too quickly.

Hours shift earlier the further in spring you go. We were skiing from 7:30 till 2 in June.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerbadgerbadger View Post
    i wanna hit mammoth before the end of the season. will may still be good? or should i try and get out there in april?
    May will likely be better at Mammoth than anywhere else in the country...

May is typically good, lots of fun slush. If you want more wintery conditions, good windbuff on the top, possible powder April is better. April can also have some slush up top, it just depends on how warm it gets.

The one caution I have with May skiing is the freeze/thaw pattern. The worst ice I have ever skied was at Mammoth in May, and I grew up in the east. I did my ski bum years at Squaw, and Squaw has lots of different exposure, meaning you will almost always have something slushy, like tower 16, during much of the year. This means that once things get slushy, you can usually find good turns no matter what. Occasionally Squaw would slush up and freeze hard to the point where nothing was soft, but that was rare. Mammoth is different. If the top get slushy during mid-winter at Mammoth, rare, but not unheard of, then once it freezes you are fucked until there is new snow. Obviously in the spring this is unusual, things slush up, freeze at night, and soften during the day for some really fun turns. But if you get a cold snap then you are screwed. Plus, the slush will have been pushed around, creating 'railroad tracks' in the snow. When these tracks freeze, well that is the worst ice I have ever skied, much worse than ice bumps at Mad River Glen. This type of occurrence is rare at Mammoth in May, you will probably just get classic spring skiing, but it does happen. Squaw has so much exposure that once things are getting slushy you will rarely have nothing soft, Mammoth it happens a bit more often.

The scenario I outlined is pretty rare though. I love both April and May at Mammoth. April has started well, but it might convert to full-on spring skiing soon. I see it as a win-win, either we get fun windbuff conditions on the top, or fun slush turns. By May it should be mostly slush turns. The coverage on top means that the steeps should be a blast all spring. Crowds start to thin out, last weekend was actually not that bad really, I only waited in a couple of lines. I highly recommend Mammoth in either April or May.

Would love a conditions report from today (Thursday) or better yet tomorrow (Friday). Thinking about seeking some buff on Saturday, but not sure whether it will be wintry, spring, refrozen, or snowy.
    sproing!

A friend of mine said daves was super buff today

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    A friend of mine said daves was super buff today
    thanks!
    sproing!

If a guy were to go to Cali every year and if said guy were to want to get a taste of Cali skiing which is something he has never done would this year be a decent year (as far as you can tell now) to prep a trip with family to Mammoth for the first week of July keeping in mind that the dude in question can get there no earlier than the above mentioned first week.

mammoth abides

but does the family hike, climb, mountain bike, etc? All that will be available and should be really good at that time too. Summer skiing is more novel than anything else and even if you did it every day it would only be a couple hours every day. Lake Tahoe, Yosemite Valley, and Mount Whitney are within 3 hours beautiful drives too
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.