Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Its 6 hrs. from san diego (live in mission beach) even if i leave at 4am which is my usual friday routine, that includes 1 stop in bishop for gas. Still hit inland empire traffic that early.

If you leave after noon on a weekday its 6.5hrs plus, friday worse. Traffic in temecula is so hectic these days. Crazy changes and i think longer drive time since only 2011 when i started to make the drive regularly. Gotta do 3 days or it feels much to short. I ski 30 days a year but it drags on you if done weeks in a row.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but my point is the drive out of the BA and up to Tahoe has gotten worse in the last decade. I think Vail, and now Alterra, along with a booming tech economy, have caused a pretty big increase is traffic, and much of that group has little to no snow driving skills. That said, coming out of NB would be crazy.

I too look forward to not driving back and forth, but I tend to do the drive about twice a month and get in three 5-7 day trips, and a few three day weekends. I used to drive up for every weekend, and that burned me. I need to save up, as I’ll be making the long haul to mammoth starting Memorial Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but my point is the drive out of the BA and up to Tahoe has gotten worse in the last decade. I think Vail, and now Alterra, along with a booming tech economy, have caused a pretty big increase is traffic, and much of that group has little to no snow driving skills. That said, coming out of NB would be crazy.
    My buddy that I was talking about has, literally, said exactly the same thing. We both left Tahoe permanently in the spring of 2004, he says there is definitely a difference between the drive then and now, he drives more in the morning now because of that. The last couple of times I have gone with him I have flown into SFO, then we have gone up the next morning. On the way back he drops me off at the Sacramento airport, which is pretty easy.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Twins, I have never tried the 15 to the 58. Is that the way to go now rather than up the 395 from the 15? If I leave at 4am I miss the 395 shit show due to construction south of Kramer Junction. Is there any other advantage to going 58 if I miss the construction start time of 7am? Thanks for the heads up.
    We leave at 5 am and donot hit any traffic or construction.
    58 adds 24 miles to the drive but usually averages the same time. No stops or traffic and multiple lanes. Brainless driving.
    We are done with all the close calls on the Adelanto stretch.
    Life is too short to get snuffed out on some piece of crap highway.
    58 gets backed up on afternoon commutes going 15 to Kramer junction so stay away.
    Truckers use it as a shortcut and its popular.
    Measured a 6 mile traffic jam 2 weeks ago driving home.
    That will be fine once the Kramer junction bridge is finished.
    No more stop light.

4,5,10 spinning again this weekend. Getting hopeful they will have more than just main lodge lifts spinning Memorial Day. My son would be stoked to get out on that part of the mountain.

Still tons of snow. I think 4, 5, and 10 are highly likely for Mem. w/e. Plenty of snow. It's rediculously how much snow there still is.

Huevos from the top was still doable. Hangers to World Cup to ADG was stellar after the racers were done. This was at noon today and the whole thing was an inch of fricken perfect corn!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    He who has the most fun wins!

anyone going to be there next weekend?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Taking one off. Be there Memorial Day. Rare family ski weekend!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Still tons of snow. I think 4, 5, and 10 are highly likely for Mem. w/e. Plenty of snow. It's rediculously how much snow there still is.

Huevos from the top was still doable. Hangers to World Cup to ADG was stellar after the racers were done. This was at noon today and the whole thing was an inch of fricken perfect corn!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    This weekend was really fun. Saturday we started with with groomers, then went to the top when it softened. I was taking the gondi up and hitting MJB's, which was crusty, then htting p2, which was really fun. Sunday we did the same, started with groomers and then went to the top. Things softened up earlier on Sunday, MJB's was soft and fun, the noids were a blast, and hangers softened up. The bottom got pretty sticky getting back to the gondola after the noids laps, but the top was really fun, classic spring corn.

We left around 130, cleared our stuff out from the ski lease and went home. It was a great season, but I'm ready to be done with the drive. We have the lease through next weekend, but I'm going to be busy this week and I'm pretty spent from driving. South swell season is here in Newport. That being said, the coverage is great, so I would certainly advise anyone who wants to ski some slushy steeps to go up. If Mammoth was 3 hours from Newport, and we had our ski lease past May 20, we would probably go at least once more.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

That south swell is pumping this week.

Too many old fucks like this at Mammoth. I'm going back to Epic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gaper.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	828.1 KB 
ID:	282354

I think that guy will follow you around. Forever.

That south swell is pumping this week.
    It's pumping down here, but I've been really busy. I might get out later today, but probably not. I'm hoping this swell lingers.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Too many old fucks like this at Mammoth. I'm going back to Epic.
    Hahaha! Are those transition lenses? I'm going back to ONLY Epic next season just for the smaller crowds and fewer off piste skiers. My best pow days this season were at Blackcomb, Flatstar, and Kirkwood. I had a few good runs at Mammoth for sure, but the Ikon crowd definitely eat up pow faster. Great mountain, but it's nice to be able to enjoy pow beyond 10 a.m.

Puking in Mammoth while I examine diabetes data using LDA, QDA and recursive partitioning for the purposes of classification. It makes me wish I was still a ski bum. I'm done, this is our last weekend with the ski lease and I absolutely can't go. Hopefully some of you guys will get some.

If it would just stay cloudy and 20F for the next ten days, I’ll get some.

Just happy the Sierra are getting a spring resurfacing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Puking in Mammoth while I examine diabetes data using LDA, QDA and recursive partitioning for the purposes of classification. It makes me wish I was still a ski bum. I'm done, this is our last weekend with the ski lease and I absolutely can't go. Hopefully some of you guys will get some.
    Funny, I was going through a Diabetes CEU module at the RV crib while I avoided looking at Mammoth cams. Good news though: They only opened stump alley and the park chair today. Heading up tomorrow early to try and get some spring pow turns.

Any where in town to take a shower free or cheap? Lining up a few trips and would rather camp, but we would also like to enjoy a wash now and again.

Also, buried some where deep in this thread was a link to some pretty cheap lodging. Not sure where that is. Went looking and could not locate. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I think it was to some rustic cabins. Wanted to check pricing and options in case we do decide to lodge a night or a few. They may have been out of town, but I forgot to book mark.

Any where in town to take a shower free or cheap? Lining up a few trips and would rather camp, but we would also like to enjoy a wash now and again.
    The RV Park across from the state campground.
    $5 showers.
    I use them every year.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    The RV Park across from the state campground.
    $5 showers.
    I use them every year.
    Your reply sounds like you take a shower annually whether you need it or not. 😁

What's still open? Not a local. Sitting in Mammoth parking lot, lots of lifts closed, real windy. The wind buff will be f*cking great I bet. Slept @ Vons last night haha

Thanks for the shower rec. And Google, duh. Quick search showed Camp High Sierra ($4) and the town pool ($2) also has public showers. As does Mammoth Mountain Inn ($10, but includes towel and shampoo).

In case you didn't figure it out, Main Lodge. Open 7:30-2. When I looked around 10AM lower mountain only with 3 on hold. Cams looked pretty nice. Deep and thick, with lots of wind transport. Don't know wipe out from drop out from whatever out, but the McCoy side of 23 looked pretty stripped and bumped when the sun was out. Paranoids looks pretty smooth from Main, but didn't see it zoomed in. Pretty good slide in Scotty's, but could not tell if natural or patrol. All in all, the right aspects looked pretty damn nice for mid May.

9 days way (if all works out as planned), and the weather looks active through middle of next week. Hopefully that leaves things pretty buff coming into my window to ski.

According to their website they also plan to run, 4,5 and 10 tomorrow. Love they have a weekend schedule. Also worked out well for the weekend warriors who did not get out there today for 1,2,3. Top for those wanting steeps and side hill for those who just want to cruise some cream cheese. They sure do know how to run spring operations.

They ended up opening the gondi, 5 and 23 later in the day. It was a pretty sweet time, snow was very wind affected but actually really dry up high. Later in the day the most sunny aspects were definitely transforming a bit, but there will be goods to be had tomorrow for sure.

Brand new TGR jong here, still trying change my username but can’t figure that out. Anyways just wanted to track this thread since I’m heading to Mammoth for the first time in a few days.