Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I'm more of a little league coach than a skier now...but slowly working on Vimeo long winded version on Memorial Day weekend. My team actually won the Championship so our season has been extended, thus making my June skiing rather difficult.
    There were times I would have thrown the game from the sideline if i could.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Excellent lines 666! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    vibes++++++++++

Gonna be in town next Monday night and need to get some dinner for me and my kid. He does not like burgees. I do like beer. Don't really want to spend too much cash. Where can I get decent food, kid friendly, and not too pricey? Not really looking for Mexican (we live in Santa Cruz), but pizza, hot sandwiches, salads are all on our list.
    Two places I go most is Toomey's for lobster taquitos r fish tacos. A few beers on tap and lots of bottle options..Campo in the village for wood fired pizza, moderate beer sel2ction and over priced wine list. The food at Mammoth brewing is good but more appetizerish, but you can make a meal.of it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Here's the long version of Memorial Day Weekend 2019...

I think the long version looks more mortal. Got be thinking of the fun wind buff I skied off of 9 that morning. No gnar, but fast smooth grippy snow.

Will be on the hill all next week (M-F) with the 8 year old, then Mrs Th/F. Hoping for some freeze.

I think the long version looks more mortal. Got be thinking of the fun wind buff I skied off of 9 that morning. No gnar, but fast smooth grippy snow.

Will be on the hill all next week (M-F) with the 8 year old, then Mrs Th/F. Hoping for some freeze.
    Just back from 4 days in Mammy skiing with some fellow Truckee and Reno maggot OGs.
    IMHO Black Doubt is the best brewery of the 3 in Mammoth. Their IPAs are super legit.
    The Public House has an insane beer selection to the point of being overwhelming.
    The Warming Hut had mega solid breakfast and lunch and really reasonable prices. Their chocolate pancakes kicked was. Ate there twice this trip and will definitely eat there again.
    For dinner I don't really have any recs that fit your criteria, but Petra's Happy Hour menu looks mad tasty.
    We ate pizza at John's one night. I thought it was decent, but pricey. Corky thought it was on par with Domino's...
    Also had dinner with Gone2Alpine at The Good Life Cafe. It was solid but not mind-blowing.
    Best meals I had were at Warming Hut and Sushi Rei (stick with the nigiri and sashimi and the poke tostados as the rolls are mostly all deep fried variations of Cali) and best beers were at Black Doubt.
    Local friend recommended Morrison's , but it was a bit meat-heavy for this pescetarian. She also gave a nod to Giovanni's.
    FWIW, the "Green Goddess" at Lakanuki in the village was hella tasty. And who doesn't dig a kitschy tiki bar? Betting they would whip up a virgin drink for the boy if you asked the bartender Jeremy nicely enough.
    And The Clock Tower has a good looking pub grub Happy Hour menu (no idea how the food is, though), great ambiance, and fooseball!
    Last edited by dookey67; 06-10-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Got be thinking of the fun wind buff I skied off of 9 that morning.
    9 was pretty damn fun...super smooth with some quick features up top. The groomer from 10 was so good, I almost did it twice...almost.

Great footage as always Skier666!

I'm really glad the surf has been good around here, it mitigates the disappointment at missing the last two May weekends.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Im overnight with gf next Wed/thurs. No riding (surgery). Just site seeing. I can only walk 2-3 miles max so looking for an easy scenic hike near town. Ideas?

Other ideas are:

Drive June Lake Loop. Worth it? I’ve never been

Take gf up to summit in gondi use my icon. Play in the snow, look at mountains and snow, silly pictures.

Hot Creek. Views should be great now and gf never seen a hot spring.

Maybe rent fishing gear?

Is postpile open?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    food and beer
    loved my breakfast burrito from first chair.

and 4matic check on the gondola. currently the upper is closed for maintenance. supposed to reopen on the 15th so you should be good. postpile was closed last wednesday.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Im overnight with gf next Wed/thurs. No riding (surgery). Just site seeing. I can only walk 2-3 miles max so looking for an easy scenic hike near town. Ideas?

Other ideas are:

Take gf up to summit in gondi use my icon. Play in the snow, look at mountains and snow, silly pictures.

Maybe rent fishing gear?

Is postpile open?

Convict Lake. Easy lakeside trail, should be fully melted out and quiet. Unreal views. Top-shelf restaurant if that's your thing.

Or drive up Tioga Pass, and do a "hike" along the road up at the pass (closed to cars past the pass). Or a hike down at Mono Lake.

All easy peasy - good luck with surgery!
    sproing!

We hiked Obsidian Dome yesterday. Short. Maybe 1.5 total. The first part is basically an old road grade, then a maze of paths through a bunch of Rock. Lots of obsidian around. Pumice. Hiking mostly on crushed rock. A little uneven. Some snow. Okay views. Kid loved it. Kind of cool. Maybe 250’ gain.

We walked around Twin Lakes today. The waterfall is going off. Did about a mile total. Some on bike path, some on snow through a campground and basically on old XC track. No real elevation gain.

Patroller said upper Gondi might open as early as Thursday.

Skiing has been great. Bunch of laps with the kid, then he cuts out early to read books. Been having a blast lapping 23, but my favorite run has been off the back of 3, the st antons when the race practices close down. That salted course is so much fun right around noon.

Low skier traffic areas are getting a little beat, but still plenty of smooth snow out there.

Thanks for the food recs. Might grab a beer when the Mrs shows up tomorrow. Otherwise we have just been camp cooking. Ended up not wanting to bother going into town. My so. Has been loving camping off the scenic loop.

Great suggestions. Girl loves collecting rocks for her garden so Obsidian is good suggestion as is the restaurant at convict lake. Doubt Post pile gets opened in time. Hoping Tioga Pass opens for return route.

For food recs, grab a burrito at the latin market right behind mogul restaurant. They are amazing! As good as anything down south.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Just back from 4 days in Mammy skiing with some fellow Truckee and Reno maggot OGs.
    IMHO Black Doubt is the best brewery of the 3 in Mammoth. Their IPAs are super legit.
    The Public House has an insane beer selection to the point of being overwhelming.
    The Warming Hut had mega solid breakfast and lunch and really reasonable prices. Their chocolate pancakes kicked was. Ate there twice this trip and will definitely eat there again.
    For dinner I don't really have any recs that fit your criteria, but Petra's Happy Hour menu looks mad tasty.
    We ate pizza at John's one night. I thought it was decent, but pricey. Corky thought it was on par with Domino's...
    Also had dinner with Gone2Alpine at The Good Life Cafe. It was solid but not mind-blowing.
    Best meals I had were at Warming Hut and Sushi Rei (stick with the nigiri and sashimi and the poke tostados as the rolls are mostly all deep fried variations of Cali) and best beers were at Black Doubt.
    Local friend recommended Morrison's , but it was a bit meat-heavy for this pescetarian. She also gave a nod to Giovanni's.
    FWIW, the "Green Goddess" at Lakanuki in the village was hella tasty. And who doesn't dig a kitschy tiki bar? Betting they would whip up a virgin drink for the boy if you asked the bartender Jeremy nicely enough.
    And The Clock Tower has a good looking pub grub Happy Hour menu (no idea how the food is, though), great ambiance, and fooseball!
    Dooks bringing the reviews! [/pokin atchya, bro]

I think I’ll hit Mammy next week
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Mammoth 2018/19 - Queen of the Eastern Sierra

Road to postpile is still a ski run. Looks like that section will melt out ina few days. Snow receding quickly in spots. Plenty of fun. Good till closing again today. Just need to hit the right terrain at the right time.

Gondi goes back online tomorrow or Saturday. Race course work is done at noon and they salt that shit.

Meet buddy and wife at Mammoth Brewery. It was a two minute walk from the condo. Sierra hazy dipa was tasty. 395 ipa was okay.

Skied Monday-Wed, just terrific coverage and skiing despite heat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4164.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	438.2 KB 
ID:	285773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4165.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	285774
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post

Other ideas are:

Maybe rent fishing gear?

Is postpile open?

June Lake is beautiful. The local pizza place makes a real good pie. Worth a drive out to Silver Lake at least.

For an easy hike, head south just a bit to Toms Place and head west up to the Rock Creek area. Hike out of the Mosquito Flat trailhead. One of the best low elevation changes hikes in theEastern Sierra in my opinion.

Finished 5 days yesterday. Not a bad one in the bunch. Though Wed/Thurs were a bit warmer, but still had plenty of good skiing thru 2pm.

Skied 7:30-10:15 on Friday then headed back to grab the family for checkout. Excellent skiing from first lift to last. Chair 5 terrain/faces were skiing great from around 9:15. Perfect corn and smooth snow felt like powder. Super fun morning skiing solo.

Hope to get back again for a few days of camping, skiing, hot tubbing and maybe biking in July.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I think I’ll hit Mammy next week
    I will be in town Friday to Tuesday next week, when Will you be there?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Anyone know how far up the 4x4 road to Laurel lake is passable right now?

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Anyone know how far up the 4x4 road to Laurel lake is passable right now?
    it goes all the way
    some friends were just up there fishing

Arrived ML. Saw a bear on Lake Mary Road (still closed at the Marina) Sonora pass is spectacular! Gonna drive the June Loop and Obsidian Dome this evening. Little Lakes Valley tomorrow. Gem Lake if we can make it out there.

Name:	Image1560984659.218990.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	890.2 KB 
ID:	286299

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	865.4 KB 
ID:	286300

Went biking this past weekend for the "shuttling open". Got about 8 bus runs in. Still a ton of snow at the top of downtown, that they clearly snowblew off the trail.

At this rate, I can't see other lifts opening for biking any time soon.

Still a great time and trails were in great shape considering the circumstances.
    Ski The East