Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Here's a few pics from around the Mtn on Thursday. Sun came out, and as normal, so did more people. Lots of Tahoe folks on the hill.
    Top didn't open as clouds came in late in the day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1863.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	273027
    Best snow was in the Avie chutes. Lower avi 3 looking smooth and buff.

Name:	IMG_1865.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	273028
    Lower avi 2 bowl. Stayed good all day.

Name:	IMG_1866.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	937.1 KB 
ID:	273029
    Oh Shit Ridge. People, if your going to poach something at least leave good tracks. Have some pride.

Name:	IMG_1871.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	273030
    Pesky cloud hanging over the top for much of the day.

Name:	IMG_1870.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	273031
    Went over and skied the ch 25 area around 11:30 a.m. The snow had a definite spring feel and texture to it.

Name:	IMG_1875 2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	449.6 KB 
ID:	273032
    Another pic of the activity in the ch 23 area.

Name:	IMG_1876 2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	273033
    This pic doesn't due justice to the amount of snow my buddies neighbor has on his roof. Time to start shoveling.

Name:	IMG_1873.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	556.5 KB 
ID:	273034
    I just noticed that if you look at the hump/wipe out 3 area you can see that patrol just threw a hand charge.
    Back out again today before the weekend crowds arrive in force.

I'm going to be in the general vicinity for the next several days touring. If anyone is interested in joining for a larger day like Tom, get in touch. Be warned that I like to start late and go really fast uphill and then barely hold it together on the descent, skimo style. I'll be in my '82 Winnebago, so lodging in style is available as well.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Winds are up this morning. Current wind speeds over the Top and top of Ch 22 are 60-70 mph out of the Southwest. Expect wind holds.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Winds are up this morning. Current wind speeds over the Top and top of Ch 22 are 60-70 mph out of the Southwest. Expect wind holds.
    Yup sitting in the Mill on hold

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkPomegranate View Post
    Sofa king good today. At least Avy 1 and 2 were. Didn't make it anywhere else.
    Sometimes that is all you need! I love those lines in good pow or windbuff. Last Thursday they were awesome.

I am trying to make it up this weekend, but we will see. I am out almost definitely for next weekend, but I will be up from March 20 to March 31 so hopefully things will line up well.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Yup sitting in the Mill on hold
    Chilling in my truck in the Canyon parking lot looking at weather forecasts. Latest wind gusts over the Top and Ch 22 are 77 mph.

yesterday was killer. shockingly uncrowded for a weekend, and pretty deep in wind transported pockets. 23 and gondi were skiing amazing, light and dry with minimal wind effect. stoked. lucky to score one of the first chairs up for the day on 5.

Agreed yesterday was a great payoff after tough weather Friday and Saturday. Blasted chunder all morning once the top opened.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Heya folks. Been thinking about going down there from Tahoe all season but kinda busy shoveling and getting pitted up here. Looks like I might be able to at the end of the month. Where does one go to find a small house or a couple rooms for a group of 2-6 or so?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Heya folks. Been thinking about going down there from Tahoe all season but kinda busy shoveling and getting pitted up here. Looks like I might be able to at the end of the month. Where does one go to find a small house or a couple rooms for a group of 2-6 or so?
    We usually do VRBO for our family of 4. The shuttle system is great, especially if not at peak time on a holiday weekend. So, anything near the shuttle is pretty doable - google maps has the stop locations pretty well mapped.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

After a rough start on Monday the included clouds, the upper mtn socked in, and a few snow showers by 11:00 a.m. most of that moved out and it turned into a decent day. Winds were up for most of the day out of the East at 30-40 mph. That wind direction combined with some chunky snow mage the skiing off the top just ok in most spots.

Name:	IMG_1925.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	253.2 KB 
ID:	273642
    The Top just after opening on Monday.

Name:	IMG_1924.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	888.5 KB 
ID:	273643
    Juevos and Rock Garden looking very filled in.

Name:	IMG_1926.jpg 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	273644
    Another shot of the Top taken later in day. That is great coverage up high. Also if you look closely at the top of Wipe Out you can see some wind blown snow accumulating in it. Made for some good turns.

Name:	IMG_1928.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	273645
    Wipe Out had some fun turns in it late in the day. The line to take was stay to the skiers right, along the edge of the rocks. Great wind blown turns. See you out there tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D! View Post
    We usually do VRBO for our family of 4. The shuttle system is great, especially if not at peak time on a holiday weekend. So, anything near the shuttle is pretty doable - google maps has the stop locations pretty well mapped.

Thanks! Stoked to check it out. Yall’s thread is awesome.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Mammoth skiers - has the mountain posted a closing date for Canyon/Eagle yet? I want to get down there before 22 and 9 close. I seem to recall mid-April as the approximate closing date, but can't quite remember due to early onset senility.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Mammoth skiers - has the mountain posted a closing date for Canyon/Eagle yet? I want to get down there before 22 and 9 close. I seem to recall mid-April as the approximate closing date, but can't quite remember due to early onset senility.
    My wife asked them a couple weeks ago and they said 4/21 for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    The annual pond-skim is always the last day. It's scheduled for 4/21 this year.

https://www.mammothmountain.com/wint...=&month=&year=

Wind machine is on over the top today. West/South West winds gusting to over 50 mph is buffing things out. Quick break and back out.

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    The annual pond-skim is always the last day. It's scheduled for 4/21 this year.

https://www.mammothmountain.com/wint...=&month=&year=
    Suhweet! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Wind machine is on over the top today. West/South West winds gusting to over 50 mph is buffing things out. Quick break and back out.
    God bless the Mammoth Wind Machine.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D! View Post
    My wife asked them a couple weeks ago and they said 4/21 for this year.

Fucking awesome. 5 more weeks of full open goodness. What a great season. Got my lodging for next season nailed down. 26-30 nights for $1,200. I could tell you how, but then I would have to kill you. Ski clubs FTMFW!
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrianburke View Post
    yesterday was killer. shockingly uncrowded for a weekend, and pretty deep in wind transported pockets. 23 and gondi were skiing amazing, light and dry with minimal wind effect. stoked. lucky to score one of the first chairs up for the day on 5.

Uhhh, FTW. what skis you riding?

Going to head up Sunday to ski Monday-Wednesday before checking out the Ginny Lakes yurt.

Give me a shout if anybody is round and about.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Going to head up Sunday to ski Monday-Wednesday before checking out the Ginny Lakes yurt.

Give me a shout if anybody is round and about.
    Hey dude. I’m up till Friday with the girlfriend, and she likes to cruise. Hit me up and let’s take some runs. I’m out on 23 right now. Beautiful spring day. Cheers.

Love to, just got in today. I'll PM some digits, give me a call tomorrow and let meet up.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Love to, just got in today. I'll PM some digits, give me a call tomorrow and let meet up.
    Sounds good. This afternoon was awesome. Sunny, no wind, springy down low and winter snow up high. Best of all...by 1:00 p.m. this place was empty. Pics to follow shortly.

Left Reno at 9:30 a.m. this morning and was on the hill just after noon. The drive down 395 was beautiful with peak after peak covered in snow. It was hard to keep my eyes on the road at times checking out the tracks and seemingly endless skiable lines on the way down.

Name:	IMG_1959.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	838.1 KB 
ID:	274661
    Here's one example, the East face of Mt Wood in between Lee Vining & June. Looks amazing.

Name:	IMG_1974.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	274662
    Sunday's afternoon's are a great day to ski! Less busy than Fridays. This is just before 1:00 p.m. on Down Hill as I was riding up Canyon Ex.

Name:	IMG_1977.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	274663
    The Top of ch 23 looking out towards the Paranoids.

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	274664
    Cornice and Hangers side of ch 23. No lines at 23 or Mid chalet all afternoon.

Name:	IMG_1991.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	274665
    Right side of 23 from Wipe Out to P1 was the best skiing imo off the top today. With the warmer temps & zero wind the snow is starting to get a little ripple on it. Had to keep the brakes on a little more today than earlier this week.

Name:	IMG_1983.jpg 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	274666
    Lookers left of P1 was skiing really well this afternoon. Towards the bottom it gets a bit more rippled, so cut left like that skier towards P3 and it smooths out all the way down to St Anton's. Great line.

Name:	IMG_1993.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	274667
    Hangmans has seen some heavy traffic this week. Still super fat with great coverage, but above the throat it's ripped with multiple goat trails. Good skiing below the throat with smoother winter chalk. Veer left into the sun towards where the skier is.

Name:	IMG_1990.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	582.2 KB 
ID:	274668
    The pipe was in great condition and empty at times, so I did a few laps through it. As I like to tell my 14 yr old boy, "I was without a doubt the best 40 something year old dad in the pipe today!" His usual reply, "You were the only 40+ year old dad in the pipe today." Maybe. Stopped at the bottom and watched this skier's run down it. Dude ripped.

Name:	IMG_2004.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	274669
    Finished my last runs off the top on the Daves side. A couple rocks are starting to poke through in Juevos. The better line was to come in and ski "Chicken" Juevos. Coverage was better, smoother snow, skied in the sun.

Name:	IMG_2003.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	690.0 KB 
ID:	274673
    After the gondi closed I headed over to ch 22 to finish the day. 1st lap was down Avi 2. It's had lots of traffic through it also this week as evidenced by the rocks starting to show in the entrance and bumps above the choke. Best line is left side where the skier's at.

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	274671
    Avi 1 was the best of the chutes. Skier's right up high along the tree's, then cut left after the choke. Super fun.

Name:	IMG_1997.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	274672
    End of the day at the CL sundeck. Eclectic crowd of green mixed with rainbow flags celebrating St Paddy's day and the final day of the High Elevation Ski week. Everybody was seemed super stoked. Tomorrows forecast is for more of the same weather, with less even fewer people on the hill. Mammoth spring skiing at it's finest. See you on the mtn.

Name:	IMG_1998.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	274674
    One more pic. Girlfriend and I went for a walk up the the CL just before sunset. Silence.

ESS, official photog of stoke for teh maggots. Thanks for the pictures. I will be up with the wife and fur kids next week. Maybe a little snow in the forecast?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.