Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    [QUOTE=Eastern Sierra Skier;5565472]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob D! View Post
    How did the afternoon work out? Did you go to June? Is anything open there? Thanks for the updates!

Hey. Didn’t get to June. Stuck it out yesterday and skied the lower Mtn. Lots of tree runs, as the snow was slightly less wind affected.

Everything opened today within a few hours. Snow was the same thick, wind packed powder we’ve seen all week. It was the groomed that got really funky this afternoon. It got warm, no got skied on and really packed down hard. By late afternoon the snow was rippled all over the Mtn. No place to rest your legs. I’ll post some pics later.

PS-People are pouring into town.
    Guess being stuck at work all weekend with a blacked out pass is not too bad. Thanks for the info. I feel betta.

Tuesday & Wednesday, here I come!

Finished up another fun week yesterday (Friday), and with the volume of cars in town decided not to go up today. This weeks storm cycle was noticeably more crowded than last weeks. No solo trips out to the Tail this week, and seeing 22 tracked out by 10:00 a.m. Wednesday by an army of 500+ hikers without the chair even opening was a new one. Here's a few pics from yesterday.

Walked out the door at CL at 8:15 a.m. to be greeted by full mazes at chairs 8 & 16. The race for 22 was on. I choose a different route and went ch. 17 (4th chair) to ch. 4 (Roller Coaster) and broke trail out to the chair line of "old chair 10", which I'm now hearing people refer to as "drop 10."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1456.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	265410
    Looks like this could work. Do I go this way and duck under that leaning tree?

Name:	IMG_1455.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	265413
    Nope, think I see my line over here.

Name:	IMG_1457.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	265411
    Looking back up my line. Good snow and more sheltered from the winds that blew all week. Got out of the tree's and headed down to Gold Rush express which just opened and got on.

Name:	IMG_1458.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	730.5 KB 
ID:	265414
    Pushed hard off the top of the chair and got out under the chair line of 25 which was spinning but not loading (no one on chairs).
    Got in some good turns on some wind blown, semi thick pow. Skied a pair of Salomon Rocker2 1that were 122 underfoot. Super fun, slashy pow ski that could handle any snow type. After that met up with a friend and spent the morning skiing lower angle tree's in the ch 15/25/8 areas.

Name:	IMG_1460.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	693.1 KB 
ID:	265422
    Got up top in the afternoon after fighting my thru a Euro like line at Ch 23. The snow was skied out and the wind machine was starting to turn on. Wipeouts were good, as evidenced by the large group of racer kids in it.

Name:	IMG_1465.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	691.3 KB 
ID:	265424
    Dropouts were the call. Best line was lookers left (drop out 1), top to bottom. I like how the top of 23 was back lit and how the shadow of 23 is visible.

Name:	IMG_1466.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	265430
    One last pic of the top taken from the safety of the bar at Mid Chalet. Again, fun week overall. Get and enjoy the Mtn.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 01-20-2019 at 01:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Good stuff ESS. Mammoth rules

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post

True that. I miss that place.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

I was up last weekend and intended to go back this weekend but got sick instead. It sucks to stay home missing both pow AND surf. I'm curious to see what the base looks like next weekend. From the shots ESS so kindly provided it looks like the base should be pretty solid.

ESS, I particularly like that shot of Gravy Chute. That rock that is pretty much dead center sometimes fill in well to a nice 10-12 footer with a good runout if you take a trajectory skiers right. This only happens in big years, like 10/11 or 16/17, but when it does it is really fun. I can remember lapping it on storm days when the upper mountain was closed, just hitting it again and again. Of course in 16/17 the gravy chute area filled in so much that they had to close it so that skiers did not hit people on chair lifts.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

It’s been a while, but the Mex is back to Mammoth tomorrow! Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HansJob View Post
    True that. I miss that place.
    Thanks guys. Just doing my part to pass on some stoke.

Snow was pretty good with the cold holding up. The next couple of days will be weird though with the changing temps.

Wind was brutal and loading the wrong side of the Alpine. Still dropped into viewer’s right when going up 23... twice... more for variable snow practice. It wasn’t ego skiing but very manageable once in from the nuking ridge wind (Though my goggles were gonna fly off). The bottom was nice chopped pow and rode all the way down to main lodge.

All in all and after a 10 day layoff from skiing, it was fun.

Tomorrow will be interesting.

Climax X 6
    23 X 4
    Lots of groomers before and after.

Incredible day.

Thanks Mex!
    Looks like its gonna be pretty warm daytime highs the next few days, unfortunately. We're heading up tomorrow night to enjoy the weekend crowds. I hope the snow doesn't get too funky.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D! View Post
    Thanks Mex!
    Looks like its gonna be pretty warm daytime highs the next few days, unfortunately. We're heading up tomorrow night to enjoy the weekend crowds. I hope the snow doesn't get too funky.

Wax. Wax. And wax for lower mountain turns.

Snow-forecast.com shows the warm temps won’t hit the alpine until Sat. Friday may still be pretty damn good.

Enjoy.

Going up Friday morning and skiing Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It does not look like it will get THAT warm. We will see. Mammoth is fun when it is warm, it is when it cools down again and things freeze that there are problems. When the whole mountain gets slushy in midwinter it tends to suck when things freeze. After that you need new snow.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Yeah, I am much more worried about the refreeze than soft or slushy snow. Looked like forecast for mid mountain was low 40s, which means significant softening with the sun. I hope it is cooler.
    But, whatever - I'm stoked to be skiing! Worst case scenario for this weekend is it gets rough refrozen crap in the morning and I ski groomers with the family until the upper mountain softens... or maybe the trees will stay nice... I do love spring conditions and a cold beer in the afternoon!

Monday afternoon is when the freeze returns.

Warm temps aren’t bad in the spring when it still freezes at night. Multiple cycles of freeze thaw coupled with sun make for awesome corn snow.

That isn’t the case with this warming trend. No freeze-thaw and the sun angle is still low. So it may be good, or it may be sticky mashed potatoes off piste. I’ll be working, hope to hear a report from y’all.

The top doesn't see hardly any sun at this time of the year. Not sure it's gonna be an issue. The wind blowing the wrong way will be though. That will create coral reef!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Just skied the last two days at Mammoth, all over the hill. Still very much cold, winter snow all over the hill with a Northeast wind keeping things cool. Colder today than yesterday with the nuking wind straight 23. Not good for buff, but I wouldn't worry to much about things getting to soft...very cold at night keeping it dry and chalky. Daves, breakouts, paranoids getting pretty worked by the winds but still fun.
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

Fun today. Top is still wintery. Some wind would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Nice! I’m hitting Mammoth tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Roberto's yo!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Snow was nice the last 2 days! Found some really nice soft stuff off hemlocks and in the trees at the bottom of Santiago bowl. Wipeout was really fun most of Friday and dropout too. Up top was still wintery today, but almost spring-like down low this afternoon. Lots of fun runs! Crowds definitely tampted down my stoke a bit today, though. My Mammoth kungfu is probably weak, but waited in several lift lines of 15-20 min. And a lot of either inconsiderate or clueless people. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon it will clear out a bit. Definitely a fun day, nonetheless.

Name:  IMG_0639.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  99.5 KB

Old Faithful earlier in the week.

Touring around various spots led to great powder through Friday.

Name:	IMG_0727-PANO.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	386.6 KB 
ID:	266649

Lapped Wipeout on 23 all afternoon. Great snow still. Lower aspects and groomers are transitioning, but the alpine is still damn good.

Significant Jerry slalom going on this w/e. Worst lift lines of the year. Supposedly >17k people on the hill yesterday.

Looking forward to the black out days. Too bad the wind blew the wrong direction last week. Top is fine. Nothing to get excited about, but did stay cool enough, It was dang hot down low today. Worst w/e of the year for us, but still totally fun and absolutely beautiful out! Just spoiled to have had so many better days this year. Looking forward to next w/e as it sounds like we might get a bit of fresh!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Significant Jerry slalom going on this w/e. Worst lift lines of the year. Supposedly >17k people on the hill yesterday.

Looking forward to the black out days. Too bad the wind blew the wrong direction last week. Top is fine. Nothing to get excited about, but did stay cool enough, It was dang hot down low today. Worst w/e of the year for us, but still totally fun and absolutely beautiful out! Just spoiled to have had so many better days this year. Looking forward to next w/e as it sounds like we might get a bit of fresh!
    Arrived at 1 pm yesterday. Very busy and took me by surprise. Just went high and stayed high. Never more than a 3 minute wait for 23.

Tracking the fresh too. And I’m fucking working again Saturday. This working in the winter shit is lame. Looks like the cold will stay around a while after this (not so mini anymore) storm. Should keep the fresh chalky... I guess I can’t complain... It’s still a changed in weather in the right direction.
    Last edited by Best Mexican Skier from Da South; 01-28-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: storm update

Yesterday was fun. I'm on day 4 of breaking in new boots and !iners, so the morning was spent on groomers on 5. After an early lunch I went up to the upper gondi and lapped the skier's right of Climax all afternoon. The snow there was awesome, I wanted to get to the noids, but I couldn't leave Climax. The lines were not bad in the afternoon.