Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
    Hey Mammy regulars. How bad are crowds typically the days after New Years. We are thinking about skiing January 2,3,4 or Thu-Sat.

Don’t really want to bother if it is likely to be a super cluster fuck. We figure if it is a slow start to the snow season, that might work to our benefit. Don’t mind skiing at day at June either. But we have no idea how it is typically is there that week, and how it works with the LA crowd and non-blackout IKON crowd.

Kind of depends on how the school holidays fall. If all the kids are back in school it's good. Generally speaking it is not too bad.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Also, a bit of time at June can be a good way to beat the crowds. Of course, a lot depends on conditions. If it is a pow day the locals will be out enforce.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Schools out that week generally.

Powder days are powder days. Just want to avoid too much of a shit show.

We will be driving from the Carson Valley on the 2nd and arriving late morning. Just want to be sure we will be able to park and get access w/o it being too bad.

We understand it is the holiday week, and not blocked out, which might make crowds worse.

I hope we get a base and then it does not really so too much until 2020. Then we will be able to ski around the hill and not have huge crowds. Otoh, if they get 4’ of snow between Christmas and New Year, I know it will be crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Hey Mammy regulars. How bad are crowds typically the days after New Years. We are thinking about skiing January 2,3,4 or Thu-Sat.

Don’t really want to bother if it is likely to be a super cluster fuck. We figure if it is a slow start to the snow season, that might work to our benefit. Don’t mind skiing at day at June either. But we have no idea how it is typically is there that week, and how it works with the LA crowd and non-blackout IKON crowd.
    The crowd usually relaxes a bit after new years, but it should still be solid. I doubt it will be TOO bad, but it certainly won't be empty. One disadvantage might be that New Years is a Wednesday, and school won't be back in session, so some might opt for later trips. I would say there should be a solid crowd, but not quite like xmas to New Years. That being said, lots of blackout IKON people might come up for a long weekend. Last year the weekends which were on each side of pres/MLK were PACKED.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I can't imagine a more crowded time. Kids are off school and the ikon blackout will have just ended. In years past the blackout period wasn't nearly as bad as after the blackout..

Quote Originally Posted by snophoto View Post
    I can't imagine a more crowded time. Kids are off school and the ikon blackout will have just ended. In years past the blackout period wasn't nearly as bad as after the blackout..
    I'm up 2-3 weekends a month and for many years I avoided pres and mlk weekends. Given how horrible the weekends on either side are I might come up pres. and mlk, take Friday off each time and get a 4 day trip. It will still be bad, but I will get a four day trip out of it. If the top lines are too bad I will spend more time lapping 22.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

A few caveats.

We will be lodging on June Lake. So will not need to deal with too much if the bustle in town.

Access is the big question. Will we be likely to find parking along the road to Main, or at a base lodge if we arrive late morning (10:30 or 11am)? If we are arriving from June, what time should we arrive to find parking at Canyon or Eagle Lodge? I know those lots are small.

We can avoid certain lifts if that is what it takes. I assume if the entire mountain is open, we could still find some lifts with shorter lift lines. We don’t need to lap the top.

Do crowds at Mammoth lighten after 2pm on a typical day? Or do people linger out to last lift?

Would it best to just hit June if we are arriving late morning?

All my experience at Mammoth is in April-June skiing. So a different world.

Yes it will be crowded, but not sure when our next chance will be.

We will be at KW for 5 days prior, and that puts us within driving distance for a few days on the east side. My son really wants to ski Mammoth on a winter day.

He has skied Main Lodge top to bottom, and would be much more curious about chairs 4,9,22 anyway. Not sure if that makes a difference. I think he would be stoked lapping 22.

Crowds lighten after 2p. Park near canyon between 8-9a. Late morning, pick your poison. Maybe park at the village and take the gondi to canyon. Free buses are also great all over!!!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

If driving you need to be to your lot (canyon/eagle) by 9ish +/-. The road to main will be fine longer, but you will just be closer to ch 4. I would say you have till 9:30 or 9:45 before you end up in Guam on the main lodge road, but this totally depends too.

What everyone said above is about right. Days after blackouts were bad. I also seem to remember last year after NY'ers was fine. Yes, post 2pm is more mellow, especially on Sundays. From 10 till 11:30 is the worst. DO NOT be at ch2 then.
    He who has the most fun wins!

if there's recent snow on 395 between minden and june, expect a slow drive. since, you're staying at june, i recommend checking out the ski hill if your pass is good there.

We are thinking about skiing January 2,3,4 or Thu-Sat.
    The three days of the week I hate to be there. Friday and Saturday may be a good day to ski June Mtn. I always park by 8am. Later can create parking issues I don't want to deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Ott,

Post 2 is a BIT better, but the difference is not always huge, unless it is Sunday. I usually try to eat lunch early, the upper gondi is not as bad for a bit around lunch, then there is usually a rush between 2 and 230, then after 245 it clears out a bit and the line is not as bad.

Honestly, you REALLY don't want to be parking around 1030. If you go to Eagle you will be way out on the road, they have shuttles, same thing with the Canyon area. You might find parking WAY down the road to Main, but you will have to take shuttles and finding a spot on the road is not a guarantee. Honestly, the yellow line goes right past our ski lease, so I hop on that, whichever way it is going, and head to Eagle or Canyon. I don't think I parked in any of the lots from mid-December to mid-April. Parking simply sucks unless you go early. If you are planning to be there at 1030 I would ski June, if June has good coverage.

Forecast is dry as fuck. May not be back until after thanksgiving if conditions persist.

FB tells me that high lakes are starting to freeze.

It's definite white ribbon of death skiing! That said, it's still sliding on snow and damn fun. Awesome to see the smile on Mini Comish's face after the first run. One of the Comish twins was also just beaming and raving about how fun it was. 3 runs, 12" of hard packed snow, too many people, but it was sunny and we were skiing!
    He who has the most fun wins!

New plan. Never booked in June and someone else found the suer cheap room and snagged it. Now have 3 lights at the Motel 6. Super swank, but we can cancel up until NYE. So that is pretty nice. Don't want to bother if we only have a 8" base at that point.

Is that place on any of the shuttle loops? Anyone stay there since they "refurbished" the rooms?

New plan. Never booked in June and someone else found the suer cheap room and snagged it. Now have 3 lights at the Motel 6. Super swank, but we can cancel up until NYE. So that is pretty nice. Don't want to bother if we only have a 8" base at that point.

Is that place on any of the shuttle loops? Anyone stay there since they "refurbished" the rooms?
    I stayed there a couple of times this summer. Full disclosure I'm a recently graduated college kid, not a dentist with a family. I believe it is right next to a shuttle stop, but can't completely remember (didn't take the shuttle). Room had nothing to remember, ie. nothing stood out as bad and nothing too fancy. It had beds, bathrooms, wifi, etc. Was clean. All I needed. Mammoth isn't exactly a town where I sit in a hotel room for a long time anyway, mostly just a place to sleep and re-organize gear before the next adventure. Great location for not being right in the village. Can walk to shops across the street and a little longer but doable walk to the brewery and village.

Yes, it is right on the red line shuttle to main lodge, or you can get off at the village and walk across to the gondola to Canyon. Warning, the red line can be a complete cluster fuck during holidays. It is up hill from M6 to the village, but is not a horrible walk at the end of the day (when the red line at main can be a 2-3 shuttle line.) That said after Nwe Years may not be too bad.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Yes, it is right on the red line shuttle to main lodge, or you can get off at the village and walk across to the gondola to Canyon. Warning, the red line can be a complete cluster fuck during holidays. It is up hill from M6 to the village, but is not a horrible walk at the end of the day (when the red line at main can be a 2-3 shuttle line.) That said after Nwe Years may not be too bad.
    True on all counts. I would also add that the stop for the motel 6 RETURNING from the village on the red line is across the street, and I don't know where the closest crosswalk is.

The last condo we had before this one for the ski lease was on the red line, and I was VERY glad it was near the beginning, around Chateau and Azimuth. It sucks to have to wait in the village for a bus, been there done that, but it sucks even more to be unable to get on one in the morning. I am REALLY glad we are on the yellow line now.

I have not stayed at Motel 6 in many years. It does the trick as I recall, it is really about what you would expect. When I was in grad school and just done with ski bumming we used to regularly get a group together to stay there. It was not fancy, but it worked. Very honestly I think Motel 6 might be a better plan if you are worried about getting people going in the morning.

Light snowflakes in town this morning.
    And so it begins

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Time for new thread yet???
    We were gonna come down this weekend, hang with buds, but we bailed.
    They are opening 3 and 11 tomorrow, apparently.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

A couple of feet this week! Eeeeeeekkk

We might be heading up Friday afternoon. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    We might be heading up Friday afternoon. We will see.
    I hope to be right behind you if Skadi delivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.