Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Today was interesting due to weather and crowds but yesterday was $$$$$.

NO MOGULS!

I skied Balls off Top of the World and even got Kiwi Flats after lunch...made my weekend.
    Nice!!! I have gotten a couple of Top of the World lines, but never Kiwi. It is on the list, I get plenty of Mammoth time so no excuses.

Could you ski it from the top? Or did you have to traverse in? My last weekend there was May 12, at that point it was pretty melted out as far as getting in, I guess these storms have buttered it up.

I was pretty bummed to miss this weekend, but not bummed enough to drive up and spend money with our lease done, so I guess not really all THAT bummed. The surf was pretty good this weekend, although the water is cold for Newport. I feel very lucky to be able to choose between skiing pow at one of the best mountains in North America and surfing fun waves. There is plenty to be said for California.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190527_135524197.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	284015  

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Nice!!! I have gotten a couple of Top of the World lines, but never Kiwi. It is on the list, I get plenty of Mammoth time so no excuses.

Could you ski it from the top? Or did you have to traverse in? My last weekend there was May 12, at that point it was pretty melted out as far as getting in, I guess these storms have buttered it up.

I was pretty bummed to miss this weekend, but not bummed enough to drive up and spend money with our lease done, so I guess not really all THAT bummed. The surf was pretty good this weekend, although the water is cold for Newport. I feel very lucky to be able to choose between skiing pow at one of the best mountains in North America and surfing fun waves. There is plenty to be said for California.
    Monday afternoon.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190527_135524197~2.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	284016

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Nice shots Yoda!!

I got some good Phlippe's laps this year. It was pretty rutted up high, and it still looks like it might be from that photo most of the times I skied it. I did get a couple of classic powder laps in there though. How was it? Firm, or was there some nice, edable snow. Even with the ruts it still looks fun, the snow looks nice, but it is hard to tell. Sometimes the snow slides off in Philippe's and it ends up pretty crusty, even on a good day.

That pic is making me second guess my decision in not coming up!
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Kiwi from the top...the new snow provided barely a non-rock takeoff. There were two other tracks in there. One was just lower and the guy scrapped all the snow to get in easily. The one from the top required an air turn into straightling to that first right turn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B03D1DF1-9BBA-496B-9064-7A98C30B1E3F.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	284080

They looks more sketch than what I saw from below.

How do you get in from the top? Do you head left on the ridge behind the top of Phillipes?

Kiwi from the top...the new snow provided barely a non-rock takeoff. There were two other tracks in there. One was just lower and the guy scrapped all the snow to get in easily. The one from the top required an air turn into straightling to that first right turn.

Great looking line!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    They looks more sketch than what I saw from below.

How do you get in from the top? Do you head left on the ridge behind the top of Phillipes?
    Super easy...just keep going on the ridge past Philippes.

Saw your tracks in Kiwi...very impressive. The mountain was amazing this weekend, aside from the moderately large crowds, Easily avoided with some short walks. Got Viva untracked top to bottom, and skied top to Outpost with hardly a crossed tracked. Reds Meadows bowl of the top was as good as it bets in those shark infested waters. Didn't so much as scrape a tooth.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

^^^When you get to the outpost, do you just schuss/skate out to lower roadrunner?

With all the closed signs at the top, I didn't bother heading down that way except one run skiers right of 14 to the cat track. Best run on Saturday for sure. Is their policy that the closed terrain is effectively back country? I know they had different signs at the base of the Lincoln hike, which say things like "unpatrolled", etc.

If groomed it is skatable, but I prefer to walk it.

It is definitely back country, un controlled, or at best partially controlled. The signage is confusing. Some areas is "ski area boundary ", others say "closed" even though is is the seasonal boundary. I asked a 'troller who was swapping ckosed signs for boundary signs, and said it's all OB, no control, etc. I asked about closed vs boundary and just got a noncommittal response about your own responsibility. I typically ski it with pack and beacon because I consider anything past a sign or rope as OB and my responsibility for my safety.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Yeah!!!

That is a sick shot. Hopefully next year, if things go well. It was pretty melted out when I was last there, May 12, the traverse was not doable and coverage in the chute was thin. Props on getting after it.

The traverse in is over some pretty massive cliffs.

Today was interesting due to weather and crowds but yesterday was $$$$$.
    NO MOGULS!
    Heading out next week for the warm weather and looking for slush bumps. Any specific areas of the mountain I should be looking?

Quote Originally Posted by topwater View Post
    Heading out next week for the warm weather and looking for slush bumps. Any specific areas of the mountain I should be looking?
    It all depends on time of day and weather//clouds. Generally speaking start low and to the east, and move up and west as the sun dictates. Always good to finish the day with a hike for Avi Chutes expeciallly if you can get close enough to Canyon without too long a walk.

iscariot

next weeks looks pretty warm, with morning lows in the mid/upper 30s at Main, and not too much cooler at the peak. Afternoon high in the mid/upper 50s at McCoy. If bumps are your thing, I imagine chair 3 will be soft before 9am, and chair 23 by 10am on the sunny side, a little later skiers left. Build up some bumps, as we will be there the following week, and it looks like next weekend will have solid over night freezes.

Amazing how much brown earth is starting to show, compared just to a week ago. I guess it is almost summer.

hopefully 666 will be along with full res version, but in the meantime
    https://www.instagram.com/p/ByHkWLRl2DC/
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Damn.

I suck at skiing. Confirmed. Still have fun, tho.

I understand

I’m the worst professional skier I know.

It’s ok to suck

Just don’t die
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I'm more of a little league coach than a skier now...but slowly working on Vimeo long winded version on Memorial Day weekend. My team actually won the Championship so our season has been extended, thus making my June skiing rather difficult.
    Last edited by skier666; 06-03-2019 at 11:24 AM.

That's why I dont ski the lines that 666 does, I would certainly die.

iscariot

666 such beautiful form. So natural.

I'm more of a little league coach than a skier now...but slowly working on Vimeo long winded version on Memorial Day weekend. My team actually won the Championship so our season has been extended, thus making my June skiing rather difficult.
    vibes++++++++++

Gonna be in town next Monday night and need to get some dinner for me and my kid. He does not like burgees. I do like beer. Don't really want to spend too much cash. Where can I get decent food, kid friendly, and not too pricey? Not really looking for Mexican (we live in Santa Cruz), but pizza, hot sandwiches, salads are all on our list.

That first hit Balls? Nice vid. Skiing is meh, but keep trying, you'll get it slugger!
    sproing!

Mammoth 2018/19 - Queen of the Eastern Sierra

Reading comprehension fail, deleted

Mammoth 2018/19 - Queen of the Eastern Sierra

Fun spring skiing today, zero lift lines, little rain/hail on the last run back to the car.

Think we are gonna bail on tioga plans for tomorrow, been so warm should be better later this week so it looks like another Lift served day on tap for tomorrow

Mostly overcast today with the sun popping out once in awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk