Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    What is the snow cover condition in/around Camp FKNA area?
    I am looking for the May 9th weekend.

Thanks.

Had lots of fun in the noids this weekend. They took a bit of time to soften up, but by the early afternoon they were classic slush. Overall it was a great spring weekend.

I probably have one more trip in me. Our ski lease ends on May 20, so I have to go up that weekend, but I might try to make it one of the other two. It has been a great season, but I'm getting sick of the drive. That being said, if any of you are considering going up I highly recommend it. The coverage on the upper mountain is great, May should be a great month for slush turns up top.

I believe Canyon and Eagle are now shut down. That is what they had scheduled, so they are done unless the management changed it's mind.

The crowds were pretty light this weekend.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I was going to be there today, but the "Rain" forecast kept me home Anyways, hoping to time at least one more trip while the corn is happening. And that drive, ya I am so over it, but what can you do? Next season, my game plan is one 4-6 day trip a month, as driving up there 10+ times a season is a burn out.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Looking to get in on a ski lease for next season. Anyone have a spot open?

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Had lots of fun in the noids this weekend. They took a bit of time to soften up, but by the early afternoon they were classic slush. Overall it was a great spring weekend.

I believe Canyon and Eagle are now shut down. That is what they had scheduled, so they are done unless the management changed it's mind.

The crowds were pretty light this weekend.
    I had a great time skiing on Sunday. Got a bit sticky down low in the usual places like LE, but I found good snow up high. Stand out spot were Paranoids, the GS course off the back of ch 3, and Avi chutes right up until 4:00 p.m. were on fire. Good stuff.

Name:  03-30-15 Canyon Lodge last day.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  50.2 KB
    March 31, 2015...Canyon Lodge on the verge of closing. No pond skim that year. What a depressing time that was as the drought seemed like it would never end, businesses were closing in Mammoth, and the last big season (10-11) seemed like a distant memory that might never return.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Closing Canyon lodge 4-28-2019.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	280727
    April 28, 2019....Canyon Lodges last day. What a difference. The picture says it all. Another great season, with three out of the last four (15-16, 16-17*, 18-19) being really good.

Name:	crestview pic.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	999.1 KB 
ID:	280729
    Mammoth with ample snow taken from Crestview yesterday on the way back to Reno.

Name:	BP gas.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	898.7 KB 
ID:	280730
    Ouch! For all you SoCal drivers feeling the pain at the pump things could be worse. Bridgeport, CA. Not a place you want to run out of gas.

Lots of time left to wrack up some more days on the hill. See you out there.

Doh! Left my jacket, (and pass), at home this morning.
    So I'm rocking the Maggot shirt today.
    Holla if you see us.
    Full face helmets & Cinders has blonde dreadlocks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Chicken balls was good. Dry creek bumps were spectacularly wacky. In a good way.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

SplatAlert!
    He's supposed to be out on the hill this afternoon and tomorrow.
    As luck would have it, Cinders and me are at SV skiing with the ShadyPosse. Doh!

I see chairs 4,5 and 10 are spinning on the weekend (today).

For the pros: what is the likelihood they will be spinning Memorial Day weekend?

I was watching the cam the other day and it looked like they were starting to build something over by Solitude / Chair 5. Maybe a big air series of jumps and what not, so I would not count on 5, 4 and 10 being open much longer. I need to get up there and see what they are up to.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Yep, building a super park over by 5. They have usually done that in big springs. Pro only and accessed via 5. Sometimes they lead peons ride 5, sometimes not is my recollection. Plenty of snow and people to warrant at least 4 staying open as people were parking way beyond the tubing area on Saturday. We were up from 8:30 till 1ish when kids slalom camp ended. Conditions were absolutely perfect spring skiing. Didn't get mushy at all as there were clouds and a slight breeze out. Even at 12:30 the lower race runs were primo as had been salted. Couldn't have asked for a better spring weekend.

The ski team parents were in full on stalking mode as the US womens team was there training. Watching them ski Super G down Cornice was pretty cool. My buddy got a call out from Breezy Johnson, who he had met a few years ago, which made his day! After all the other girls were done, Mikaela switched to GS and made prolly 6ish fast runs down Fascination. In a total news flash, that girl is good! Super focused.

Pop Quiz: What din are Mikaela's 212 Super G skis set at?

Here is Mini Comish (far right) w/ Mikaela!

Name:	20190505_113853.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	281552
    He who has the most fun wins!

Nice Comish!!!

I will be heading up this weekend, probably for the last time of the year. Our ski lease ends on May 20. We could probably get Memorial Day, the owner always offers us to extend until then, but I might be done with it. It has been a great season, but I think I'm done with the drive. I might consider flying to Tahoe and staying with a buddy to hit Squaw, but we will see. It has been a good spring for surf so far, so I might be ready to transition.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

^^^^unless they extend, KT22 closes this coming Sunday. IMHO, spring skiing at Squaw becomes pretty limited once KT shits down. Runs top out at less than 1K and mostly blues. Granite Chief is fun for a few hours, but nothing like the top of Mammy.

OTOH, if KT is spinning, the hill is a bunch more fun. Lap upper mountain groomers and sunny spots until the bumps soften up off the mothership.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^^unless they extend, KT22 closes this coming Sunday. IMHO, spring skiing at Squaw becomes pretty limited once KT shits down. Runs top out at less than 1K and mostly blues. Granite Chief is fun for a few hours, but nothing like the top of Mammy.

OTOH, if KT is spinning, the hill is a bunch more fun. Lap upper mountain groomers and sunny spots until the bumps soften up off the mothership.
    Totally agree with this.

LDD, Yep, it was pretty cool to see the best in the world doing their thing. You doin that drive solo? If so, totally understand. Our game changer for me was swapping drivers so I'm never "on" for more than 2.5 hours. Also a lot more 3 and 4 day w/e's up there helped this year.

Still a crap load of snow. The main lodge deck is still ski-in-ski-out! What a season! Whole fam isn't ready for it to end! Looks like I will get another 10 or so days in. Kids likely 15 as they are spending a week there in June for a ski team camp.

BTW: Her 212 SG skis are on between 20 and 26. Depended on whether she had the Atomic branded 20 binding, then they were maxed at 20, or these non-branded red bindings that went to 26, then she was on 24. I'm guessing they aren't coming off before her leg does

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Nice Comish!!!

I will be heading up this weekend, probably for the last time of the year. Our ski lease ends on May 20. We could probably get Memorial Day, the owner always offers us to extend until then, but I might be done with it. It has been a great season, but I think I'm done with the drive. I might consider flying to Tahoe and staying with a buddy to hit Squaw, but we will see. It has been a good spring for surf so far, so I might be ready to transition.
    I have a problem with the drive too.
    So I understand your feelings.
    Minimum 3 day trips and no night driving helps.
    Also running 15 to 58 to Kramer junction .
    395 from there cuts down on the stress.
    The 58 rebuild is on the fast track right now.
    Really pushing that freeway along.
    Still 2 solid months of skiing left so we are not done yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    Agreed on the drive being a grind. Good call on 15 to 58. Never done it that way, will give it a shot in a week.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Anyone have a small condo they want to rent out for cheap the 2ns week of June? A few nights starting around June 10?

My son and I were planning to camp at FkNA, but now the wife wants to join. She is not as keen on skiing and camping as he is.

Also, I’m getting promo codes for Ikon Pass. Price thru August 1 is same as the early season sale price. Basically $100 off list for adult, young adult and child. Being on the list is not a commitment to buy but does help us get the promo codes. If you are on the fence, get on the list and decide before cut off. I started a thread in gear swap. Passes good this spring until Mammy closes. My son and I will pay for ours by the 4th of July.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Totally agree with this.

LDD, Yep, it was pretty cool to see the best in the world doing their thing. You doin that drive solo? If so, totally understand. Our game changer for me was swapping drivers so I'm never "on" for more than 2.5 hours. Also a lot more 3 and 4 day w/e's up there helped this year.
    I go with my wife, but I do most of the driving.

Like I think I said before, we typically do about 12 trips a year, 2 6-8 day trips and 10 2-3 day trips, with about half of those trips being for 2 days and half being for 3. We have our schedules set up so that we get a 3 day weekend every other weekend, so usually that means leaving at 430 or 5 am on Friday. That is rough, but I get used to it. We do that because we are coming from Newport Beach, which is basically 6 hours without traffic, and on the weeks I have Friday off I can rarely finish early enough to leave at night. Sometimes we will wait until noon to leave on Friday if we just don't want to be off super early Friday morning. Because we have to drive through LA things can be tough, it would be nice if the standard deviation on drive time was small, if it took 6 hours basically ALL the time. If you can't leave by 330 on a Friday afternoon from Newport, or even 3 really, there is no point in going before 730 or 8, and I would rather drive in the morning. If we were coming from the San Fernando Valley, above the sprawl, I would do more trips where I left at 7 pm, but from Newport that sucks.

If we leave at around 1 pm, I will usually get us out of LA and my wife will then help, which makes a big difference. She sometimes helps with the drive home. If we leave at 430 am, which is usual, she sleeps in back with the dog. I would say she accompanies me to Mammoth about 70-75% of the time. So while she helps with the driving, which is great, I still do most of the tough miles. It is worth it, if you want to ski 20-50 days a year and live in socal that is just what you have to deal with, but it does wear on me. I'm just glad I was able to find a wife who loves to go up. She is an advanced intermediate skier, a good athlete who likes it, but would not go nearly as much if not for me. When I left Tahoe and my ski bum days behind I lost a couple of girlfriends due to winter, most women are not happy if you are going to be gone every other weekend. Because of all that I am REALLY grateful for my situation, despite how much the drive sucks. Like I said though, by this time of the year I am ready for warm weather and south swells. I am looking forward to this weekend, but it will be nice to be able to spend my weekends having a long drive be the drive to Trestles.

I love where I live, but sometimes I do think about norcal. When I hit Lone Pine I always think that if I were coming from the bay to Squaw I would be basically there at that point. The difference between 4 hours and 6 hours is pretty solid.

I have done plenty of weekends where I left at 4 am Saturday, skied Saturday and Sunday, and came back Sunday night. I like to avoid that if possible, because it does suck, but we have to make do. I grew up in the east, and it is always funny to me when someone from back there will talk about how you can't ski in socal. I will tell them that we do have mountains, and Baldy is pretty awesome if it has snow, but also that we are 6 hours from one of the best mountains in the country, a place that blows the doors off of anything back east and most of the places in Colorado. Southern California can be a great place to be a skier if you are willing to make the driving commitment and can stomach the cost of a ski lease.

I have had dreams where they put in a train to Mammoth. When I wake up it always sucks. It would be nice to able to just relax on the trip, or get work done. Oh well, I can dream.

I looked into busses to Mammoth, and there is one that occasionally runs from Fullerton, makes a couple of stops in LA and in the Antelope Valley, then heads up. However, they claim to be leaving Fullerton on Friday at 440 and having a scheduled arrival in Mammoth of 11 pm or something like that. In what world are they living in?

I am hoping this weekend is good. I see tomorrow as being a noon departure day, not a 430 am day.

No one gets to Squaw from SF in winter in four hours. Except maybe Skier 666. 80 and 89 are shit shows. At least on Friday and Sunday.

4 hrs is doable. Just not peak times.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    Twins, I have never tried the 15 to the 58. Is that the way to go now rather than up the 395 from the 15? If I leave at 4am I miss the 395 shit show due to construction south of Kramer Junction. Is there any other advantage to going 58 if I miss the construction start time of 7am? Thanks for the heads up.

No one gets to Squaw from SF in winter in four hours. Except maybe Skier 666. 80 and 89 are shit shows. At least on Friday and Sunday.
    Haha...in December and off-peak times in January, I did get a few 2 hours 58 mins. That's non-stop, no breaks, kids locked into charged ipads. The late March/early April trips were around 3:15 to 3:30. But MLK weekend was the worst ever drive with no chain controls in effect (8 hours with 3 hours just to Donner Summit.) Last Wednesday, I made it in 2:50 leaving at 5:05am...but remember that's a workday opposite commute drive.

Leaving at 5 am on Saturday morning I have gotten from the Menlo Park to Squaw in around 4 hours. If you leave after work on Friday it is much worse. But the point is that you can wake up at 5 am, leave at 530, and be on the hill at Squaw at 10 am pretty easily. If I want to do that at Mammoth from Newport Beach on a Saturday that requires leaving at 4 am, not 530. That might not sound like a big difference, but it is. Obviously I would not expect it to take 4 hours leaving at 530 pm on a Friday, but the closer distance does add up. And if you leave at 430 pm on a normal Friday from Newport it will probably take 8 or 8.5 hours through traffic. I would love to wake up at 5 am and be in Mammoth by 930 am, but you have to drive REALLY fast from Newport to do that. The Mammoth thing is less of a big deal for people who live in northern LA, for them it is really only 5 hours without traffic, less in some places. Like I said, that adds up. There might not seem like much of a difference between waking up at 330 am and waking up at 5, but it is something.

The one good thing about the Mammoth drive is that ALL the traffic is basically early. Sometimes it will be stop and go to the Antelope Valley, but usually when you hit the 14 you are set. And I have never seen truly significant traffic after Palmdale. Driving to Tahoe from the bay I have hit traffic in Sacramento, which sucks. At least down south we are done at Palmdale.

My best friend from my days as a Tahoe ski bum lives in Menlo Park now. I am always interested to see how much easier it is for him to do the weekend thing than me. I'm not saying it is easy, but the bay to Squaw is definitely easier than Newport Beach to Mammoth. Doing the early morning drive the amazing thing is how much traffic is on the 405 at 530 am. When I get up late on Friday, say 5 am instead of 415, and that does happen sometimes, I have to use the carpool lane in order to cruise. You would think there would not be much traffic from Newport to the 14 leaving at 515 am, but there is far more than one would expect. I am really thankful that I have never had a serious commute, I would lose my mind.

Yep, your extra hour from NB is brutal, plus that hour can easily grow with LA traffic. We are in Santa Monica. We typically leave between 6pm and 7pm. It's a late Friday night, but still works out.

We did the SF to Tahoe thing for 5 years and it can be shorter, but we find SM to Mammoth way less stressful since on Sunday's there is zero traffic, taking 4.5 hours every Sunday, there are very rarely delay's from snow like on Donner Summit, and even our Friday night's the delay is at worst 1ish hours so 4.5hrs goes to 5.5 hours and on average I would say Friday's take 5 hours. Agreed that once in Lancaster there is zero traffic. Once in Lancaster it's cruise control at 77ish the whole rest of the way. We are over the cat and mouse game with CHP as they are crawling on the 395 which sucks.

Got 75 days in this year and should finish around 85. Not bad for living at the beach with 3 kids! Helps that Mrs. Comish loves being in Mammoth and is a great skier, and that the kids love ski team. My best year by far since being a ski bum in Jackson during 96/90Heaven!