Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Hell, the Yosemite High Sierra is really just over an hour away and well worth a visit. With dinner at MoMart on the way back.

I think it would be a great summer trip.

Mammoth typically runs lifts from 7:30-1 that time of year if I’m not mistaken. As Powdork mentioned, a ski day is usually a few hours. Firm or super slush on either end. Although I’ve found lapping Cornice in super slush conditions to be rather fun.

In July, the skeeters are gonna be popping hard somewhere below 10kft in the Sierra. I’m guessing that most lakes and meadows above 10k will still be covered. Worth keeping in mind.....

Not sure where he is coming from, but for non native Californians, skeeters are normal. We were in the high country last July (I know a different season) and were super prepared for skeeters based on what we read. Spending four days there, it was laughable. Nothing compared to all summer in Maine. There was basically an hour each as dusk and dawn where they were out in numbers, and our repellent system worked fine. That said, I could see how to a Bay Area local it would seem like the end of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Not sure where he is coming from, but for non native Californians, skeeters are normal. We were in the high country last July (I know a different season) and were super prepared for skeeters based on what we read. Spending four days there, it was laughable. Nothing compared to all summer in Maine. There was basically an hour each as dusk and dawn where they were out in numbers, and our repellent system worked fine. That said, I could see how to a Bay Area local it would seem like the end of times.
    Sounds like you missed the hatch when camping last year. Mountain meadow areas during a hatch are bad, like covering your body all day long even with a breeze. People I know claim that it’s as much a sufferfest as found in the north. The hatch is relatively short lived as the meadows dry out and the big hatch worth of skeeter finish their life cycle at that particular elevation.

Sounds likely. A week or two before we headed up we heard stories of dread and despair. Young human babies picked up and flown away to be devoured, shriveled and dried by blood sucking demons of flight. We camped and felt smug, like New Englanders, laughing at the weakness of our peers.

23 today did not suck.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkPomegranate View Post
    23 today did not suck.
    Yep, Spring like conditions were had. It was a fun day after a bleak Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Pretty good conditions. Lapped climax all day.

Super fun weekend, although Saturday kind blew, literally. We bailed before anything interesting got open on Saturday.

That night was the Mammoth Invitational, the big fundraiser for the Community Foundation that supports kids throughout the E. Sierra skiing. Let's just say I still haven't learned that shotskis at the end of the night are not a good idea! Talked w/ Tommy Biesemeyer for a while. Cool dood who has had some bad luck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190406_210316.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	713.7 KB 
ID:	277825

Sunday was a blast. Kids raced on a course set up for the Invitational all morning. Went for a few runs w/ Tommy and Tyler Wallasch. Let's just say World Cup skiers rip! Watching them shred Hangers and Climax up close, in Tommy's case on 195ish GS race skis, through 3" of cream cheese was pretty awesome. Really fun to chase a skier that good, cue "I'm not worthy!"

Then Mini Comish had an agenda: Climax, Hangers, Wipe Out, and Phillipe's were tagged. Great day on the hill! Here is to 3 more months of skiing while Jackson and others close!

Phillipes

Name:	20190407_141108.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	860.0 KB 
ID:	277824

Name:	20190407_141134.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	277826
    He who has the most fun wins!

I’ve never skied Mammoth earlier in the season than mid April, but damn, Phillipes looks stacked.

Nice shots Comish!! When I was that age I think I was starting to venture into the bump runs at Belleayre and Catamount. I was a VERY long way from Philippe's.

Ott, Philippe's is nicely filled in right now, it really has been a good season for it. That being said, the bumps up in the top half of the chute are ledgy and strange. It is tough to get a good line through it. After the choke it is pretty smooth and fun though. I missed last weekend, but the previous weekends I have skied it, and while it has been fun I did not lap it. Once was enough. It should be a good spring for it though.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Nice shots Comish!! When I was that age I think I was starting to venture into the bump runs at Belleayre and Catamount. I was a VERY long way from Philippe's.

Ott, Philippe's is nicely filled in right now, it really has been a good season for it. That being said, the bumps up in the top half of the chute are ledgy and strange. It is tough to get a good line through it. After the choke it is pretty smooth and fun though. I missed last weekend, but the previous weekends I have skied it, and while it has been fun I did not lap it. Once was enough. It should be a good spring for it though.
    Yep, those bumps are super weird and not really that fun. Plenty of snow, but it's like a bunch of people just side slipped the Sh*t out of it. Really hard to make a smooth go of it. Mini Comish was stoked to tick it off his list though.

Kids and mrs. Comish back for more this weekend while I head to AK on Friday!?!? What a season!
    He who has the most fun wins!

Thanks for the reports. Ill be there Thursday to sunday if anyone wants to meet up!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I like to go when the sun melts out some obstacles to ski around

In any case, planning to take my 10 and 3 year old (by time of the trip) for a boys trip over Memorial Day weekend. May incorporate a day of Squaw (Friday or Monday) if KT still running though. Nice to have options.

Any Mammoth folk out there able to advise me on affordable, pet friendly accommodations for my family (kids ages 4 and 7)? Early July

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Any Mammoth folk out there able to advise me on affordable, pet friendly accommodations for my family (kids ages 4 and 7)? Early July
    I always use Air B&B or here: https://www.google.com/travel/hotels...MTktMDQtMjZSAA
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Anybody thinking of skiing Sunday through Tuesday? Weather looks perfect for a corn cycle.

Let's do a Mammoth Mini! Cinco de Maggo?

Splat, start a new thread so the maggots read it and join us.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Splat, start a new thread so the maggots read it and join us.
    Word.
    ☆5/2 - 5/5☆...?
    >> 'Cos Mothers Day is the following weekend, the 12th...
    Cinders & me have a passes now. Hoping to get some random weekdays in.
    ● But looking for A place to crash/Lodging for those days Thursday 5/2 to Sunday 5/5 (Maybe the Monday too) if any of Y'all can help, or advise?
    Pretty please.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Let's do a Mammoth Mini! Cinco de Maggo?
    ¡Órale, vato!.

I'll be in Mammy at least a couple times in May
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

After a three week absence that included a trip to Canada (went a 1000 miles North, found out way more snow down here), I dawned patrolled it down from Reno yesterday (Sunday) and skied bell to bell. Turned into a really fun day.

Name:	IMG_2356 2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	279737
    Daves & Climax from the top of ch 25. Driving out of Reno yesterday morning it was raining. It was blue skies over Mammoth.

Name:	IMG_2339.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	730.6 KB 
ID:	279738
    If you zoom into Hanger's, you can see a plume of snow blowing up it. A cool NE wind kept the top on the firmer side and it skied just ok for most of the day. Lower Mtn had some great corn snow to be found.

Name:	IMG_2343.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	279739
    Ralpie's with some rippable snow in the afternoon. All the race courses were open for skiing, including a cool GS course that started just above hair jump, wound thru Gremlins and all the way down St Antons. Super fun as the snow softened and never got sticky.

Name:	IMG_2342.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	279740
    Looking North towards Mono a few thunderstorms were starting to build. Not a threat, unlike Saturday which had two lightning holds that temporarily shut down lift operations.

Name:	IMG_2344.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	279741
    Coverage is great everywhere on the Mtn. Rock jump under ch 1, just barely poking through. I'm guessing that it takes somewhere in the 10-12 ft range of snow to cover it?

Name:	IMG_2345.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	279743
    Late afternoon on the Face of 5. Sunday afternoons are a great time to ski. The place empties out. People come up and ski
    Friday & Saturday, and by noon Sunday are on the road home (just like the 7th inning of a Dodger game). JK.

Name:	IMG_2348.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	279744
    Viva late in the day with some big ass slushy bumps from top......

Name:	IMG_2346.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	279745
    to bottom. Want to test your fitness level? Step up to the Viva challenge! Top to bottom, over the cat track non stop. Get after it!
    It's an ass kicker.

Canyon lodge sun deck post pond skim party was rocking at 4:15 p.m. Check out the young lady in the white top at the 18 second mark. She was gettin her swerve on. Good times.

Name:	IMG_2350.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	835.1 KB 
ID:	279746
    Mono lake overlook, Conway Summit. As tempting as it was to party on I had to get back home, but I stopped to check the T-storms building over Mono. Got some rain a few a few miles farther North.

Name:	IMG_2353.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	954.3 KB 
ID:	279747
    Sweet Water summit. Took the back way home through Smith Valley. Always my favorite way when I'm not in a hurray or it's storming. Super peaceful drive and you'll be lucky to see more than 5 cars the whole time.
    Fun spring skiing. Took my buddy from Grand Targhee with me, his 1st time skiing Mammoth. He was stoked on it as well.
    Back next weekend for C.L. closing.

Damn soft and good conditions at Mammoth with fat skis. Riding the Line Mordecai’s, and it’s hella fun. Can't wait for the apres beer too

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Want to test your fitness level? Step up to the Viva challenge! Top to bottom, over the cat track non stop. Get after it!

It's an ass kicker.
    I may have found myself a new sig!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Cut up slush was no match for the 4FRNT Devastators. Great day riding those burly skis. The upper slush almost had a pow sensation... or I’m just a positive thinker.