Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    And he likely started skiing before he was 46 too
    Booking a private morning lesson could be useful on a deep blower day to develop that skill. I have no experience with that myself (or the cost), but you’d likely get a chance cut most lines having more opportunities at fresh tracks.

When I figured out how to ski deep snow on skinny skis and alpine bindings (cement or Sierra blower), I thought about the body motion in the same manner as skiing zipper mogul lines, especially like the bump lines on the lower portions of chair 22: quiet upper body, compact body, skis not too far across the fall line, generally consistent turn shape, and “pretending” I was compressing a mogul (bending knees) at the end of each turn (where you’re actually just unweighting the skis between turns). With modern-shaped wider skis like the Lhasa’s, you can still ski in that style, but can also can do a lot of other stuff like alter turn shape and turn type/style and slarve.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    There are some exceptional skiers young and old. One of my buddies is 63 and is pimping hard on his Moments.
    Hey Dude,
    Check your Private Messages when you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Hey Dude,
    Check your Private Messages when you get a chance.
    Got it man. PM’d you back. Holler if you’re in Mammoth this week.

As much as I have come to love Mammoth, and enjoyed last Wednesday and the weekend before, Sugar Bowl on Sunday was pretty much all time! See Tahoe thread for picts, and back in Mammoth this weekend.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    As much as I have come to love Mammoth, and enjoyed last Wednesday and the weekend before, Sugar Bowl on Sunday was pretty much all time! See Tahoe thread for picts, and back in Mammoth this weekend.
    Sugar Bowl sucks. It's flat. And the beer is warm. And there's no parking.

Yah; still sucked today.

Today was maybe the best day I have ever had at Mammoth. The top was super deep, and very light, barely wind affected, which is rare for Mammoth. I had some insane Paranoids laps today, I really could not believe how good they were.

I started the day at chair 5, and got two very fresh laps. I assumed it would be wind affected, like Mammoth usually is, but I was wrong. After those laps I headed to 23 to wait in line. My first line was in P1, and I barely crossed a track. As deep and light as I have ever skied the top. I did another P1, then did a P4 to Philippe's. After that I did two Hangman's laps and headed home. I really don't see how the top could get much better than today. Very light, insanely deep, and with very little wind affected snow where I went. I did not see any major slides in the noids, which is crazy when the top opens with 4 feet of fresh.

I'm really glad I stayed today. I drove home on a high, and I'm still buzzing. I'm not positive that was the best I have seen Mammoth, but if it was not it was very close. Saturday and Sunday were fun storm days.

I really hope some of you guys were out there today.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Wow, this season just keeps giving. At this point I think we could ski until July 4th

Total snow fall from the storms by the end of the weekend over Mammoth Mountain is likely to tally in the 8 to 10 foot range. In town another 3 to 5 feet at 8000 feet is possible by Sunday as a colder storm is likely after the wet one.

This is more or less the classic pineapple connection from Hawaii with a Kona low involved…initiated by the Madden Julian Oscillation followed by a cold Gulf of AK storm. Next week will be cold and much dryer…..and possibly continue dry through months end…

Dr Howard the the Dweebs..
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Wow, this season just keeps giving. At this point I think we could ski until July 4th
    Well aren't you a smart guy! Just checked the Mammoth facebook page and that looks like the plan.

https://www.facebook.com/MammothMoun...1243714775649/

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Changed plans going to visit parents for more snow.. I'm not cool enough for cali apparently anyway.
    If you want to be cool, please don't say "Cali". I doubt you'll find more snow than here, but good luck. Lot's of time to come back and visit as Mammoth plans to stay open til 4th of July.

If you want to be cool, please don't say "Cali". I doubt you'll find more snow than here, but good luck. Lot's of time to come back and visit as Mammoth plans to stay open til 4th of July.
    Thx maybe I'll make it. I'm definitely not cool, was just looking for people to ski with. I'm glad you guys are getting after it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Well aren't you a smart guy! Just checked the Mammoth facebook page and that looks like the plan.

https://www.facebook.com/MammothMoun...1243714775649/
    F****** cool, I love spring skiing
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Wish I could buy an ikon now for next year and get a day or two in before April.

Here is a question for Mammy regulars - is it worth my time and money to drive down from KW middle of next week (Tues or Wed or Thurs) and purchase a ticket to ski Mammoth? I don't want to spend the money of the resort is going to be super crowded due to the holiday week. I imagine a lot of LA comes north, but curious how bad is it mid week ski week on non powder days. I don't mind waiting in a moderate line in obvious bottlenecks, but don't want to spend over $100 just to sit in multiple 15 minute lines. I'd rather just ski KW and tour around.

And if I do go down, anyone available to meet me at a ticket window to get me a discount lift ticket? Maybe even show me a round a bit? I know the Main Lodge area pretty well from skiing out there multiple Mays and Junes, but have only been south of the Wazoo - Avi Chutes once in my life. I guess that is not completely true - Roler Coaster was ope one year.

Anyway, trying to figure out my free week, and would love to see the mountain staled and filled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Wish I could buy an ikon now for next year and get a day or two in before April.

Here is a question for Mammy regulars - is it worth my time and money to drive down from KW middle of next week (Tues or Wed or Thurs) and purchase a ticket to ski Mammoth? I don't want to spend the money of the resort is going to be super crowded due to the holiday week. I imagine a lot of LA comes north, but curious how bad is it mid week ski week on non powder days. I don't mind waiting in a moderate line in obvious bottlenecks, but don't want to spend over $100 just to sit in multiple 15 minute lines. I'd rather just ski KW and tour around.

And if I do go down, anyone available to meet me at a ticket window to get me a discount lift ticket? Maybe even show me a round a bit? I know the Main Lodge area pretty well from skiing out there multiple Mays and Junes, but have only been south of the Wazoo - Avi Chutes once in my life. I guess that is not completely true - Roler Coaster was ope one year.

Anyway, trying to figure out my free week, and would love to see the mountain staled and filled in.
    Not bad at all, unless its a storm day and things get shut down or pow day. Heck, all the holidays this year have been super mellow because of the black out. Mostly 0 to 5min lines as long as you avoid the usual suspects at usual times. I wouldn't worry about lines at all on a non pow day mid-week, even this week.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Ottime, the only bummer about the new Bring a Friend discount is it is only 25% off the daily rate You may get a better price buying a 4 pack of tickets from Costco. Week days are the time to show up, pretty much Sunday afternoon through Thursday or maybe Friday. As winter goes on, the mountain really empties out. By April it is a ghost mountain and with the skiing likely really fun through at least May, I think you could use the 4 pack of tickets. I would be happy to show you around, but you may want to ski the double black trails with ESS.

Mammoth 2018/19 - Queen of the Eastern Sierra

Yeah, saw the discount was not the old discount. I’ll check Costco, but if ikon goes on sale April 4, like last year, I might just buy that and get spring skiing in this year. Looks like we will have plenty of snow. Had a blast there on Father’s Day two years ago.

Anyone skiing next Tuesday? Gonna watch the forecast, but if is not a pow/storm/wind day, I think I might head down for the day.

Funny thing, what you call a ghost town. I get it. Been there in May, and it had the ghost town effect, but still more people skiing than a mid winter weekend day at Kirkwood. This past Monday was pretty much a ghost town at KW, and there was about 1000 acres of untracked snow.

Kirkwood is getting more snow. Heading up tomorrow PM to use my Epic pass.

Out of curiosity, why would you leave KW for Mammoth this storm?

Funny thing, what you call a ghost town. I get it. Been there in May, and it had the ghost town effect, but still more people skiing than a mid winter weekend day at Kirkwood. This past Monday was pretty much a ghost town at KW, and there was about 1000 acres of untracked snow.
    Shhhh...teh wood is flat, out of the way and the beer is warm. I have no clue why people go there. That said, my wife likes Tahoe and if I am going to get her to move where there is snow, it may be in the KW area, as the northern Tahoe resorts are full on cluster fucks. I have a year or so to figure it out.
    I will be at Mammoth the 21st thru the 25th or so, if those dates work for you, I would be happy to help you with a BAF ticket.

Mammoth 2018/19 - Queen of the Eastern Sierra

All that and now the parking sucks since we went Epic. And that warm beer cost twice as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    Kirkwood is getting more snow. Heading up tomorrow PM to use my Epic pass.

Out of curiosity, why would you leave KW for Mammoth this storm?
    I’m talking next week for Mammoth. After the powder day. Looking for s little variety, road trip, sans family, maybe do a tour, who knows. Might end up spending all of next week lapping KW and touring around there.

^all those options sound awesome!

All that and now the parking sucks since we went Epic. And that warm beer cost twice as much.

I’m talking next week for Mammoth. After the powder day. Looking for s little variety, road trip, sans family, maybe do a tour, who knows. Might end up spending all of next week lapping KW and touring around there.
    If you stay at Kirkwood, I’ll be there til Tuesday/Wednesday if you need a touring partner. I’ll be trying out the new Freetour CAST system on Ravens and Protests this week, and there are some beatiful lines out of bounds that I missed out on last season due to the wind changing on their last pow day.

I still have that bowl etched in my mind. It’s that awesome bowl that if looking at the map online is on the left outside or out of the photo frame.

Nukage per the Summit cam. I wonder if the 20+ foot totem pole is covered yet?

Likely sticky local this week. Things are stacking up. Lines are in.

Likely sticky local this week. Things are stacking up. Lines are in.
    Good idea. I love KW on a pow day. Last night my wife said she was down for a season up in SLT so I could ski KW a 100 days in 2021. Our paths will cross sooner or later.