Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Ski your fat skis in spring mank. You’ll learn to control them. You could use snowboard leases too. Lash back in powder is not really a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

SB is a GREAT Spot that can hold the snow for much longer than many other resorts, but not on the steeps. A lot of Snowbasin is slow rollers. Fun Fun Fun terrain, but not steep. The steep does exist, but gets beat-up just as quickly (ok maybe it'll last 2 or 3 hours longer) as most other places. Plus, they just don't get the big dumps as frequently as other places. Mammoth Annual average is 400 inches/year, Snowbird gets 500, and Snowbasin gets 350. Add-in the fact that they just went Epic....the crowds will grow.

Answer to your question......Revelstoke? Baker? Aleskya?

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Only bummer is the pow lasts about 30 minutes before becoming totally tracked out when they open something From my experience this Tuesday, I obviously need a lot more practice to feel comfortable in deep pow. So in trying to put together my game plan together for next season, where and when do I go for a month where the chances of scoring pow are good, the pow lasts for days rather than minutes and I can rent a place that allows two big dogs for $3k or less? Maybe the Snow Basin area? What do you guys think?
    neednsnow.com

Chasin Snow whenever time allows.

There isn't anywhere lift served with good terrain that doesn't get tracked out quickly. There is, however, an entire mountain range of amazing skiing that Mammoth is merely part of. ;-)

But seriously, the only answer to your question is backcountry. Or Japan. Actually, it does take a while for Revelstoke to get fully tracked out, especially when you consider the side country options.

Changed plans going to visit parents for more snow.. I'm not cool enough for cali apparently anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by skinipenem; 02-09-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Ski your fat skis in spring mank. You’ll learn to control them. You could use snowboard leases too. Lash back in powder is not really a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I guess I wasn't clear, so here goes again. In normal consolidated pow (maybe you sink 6"- 8" inches) I am fine. It is the lighter stuff that allows you to sink much deeper that I need a bunch of work on (as Mammoth rarely gets the light stuff). Spring mash potatoes is firm/supportive and not an issue for me. Maybe I don't sweet it next season and wait for the 2020/21 season and take the wife (then retired) and fur kids for a 4-5 month winter holiday in B.C. where there are way less people.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Mammoth 2018/19 - Queen of the Eastern Sierra

Turning less (and/or not as far through the turn) is the secret with deep light pow...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I understand completely. You don't need deep dry powder to learn how to control your skis in all conditions. Super fat skis are just compensation for lack of skill anyway.
    Last edited by 4matic; 02-08-2019 at 03:07 PM.

That's what she said, or something like it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I guess I wasn't clear, so here goes again. In normal consolidated pow (maybe you sink 6"- 8" inches) I am fine. It is the lighter stuff that allows you to sink much deeper that I need a bunch of work on (as Mammoth rarely gets the light stuff). Spring mash potatoes is firm/supportive and not an issue for me. Maybe I don't sweet it next season and wait for the 2020/21 season and take the wife (then retired) and fur kids for a 4-5 month winter holiday in B.C. where there are way less people.
    Few get a lot of deep dry powder days. What TahoeJ said; just keep the tips fall line and speed up. You don't need to turn much. I kind of think about driving up through my shoulders more than down. through my feet. Or just wait for the run to get tracked out a bit and hit it then. That is what we did with my son last March when we had a deep, dry day at KW. He did fine once there were a few tracks through it. Untracked, he just disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Untracked, he just disappeared.
    LOL and I thought I had issues. Right on for your little guy having game to go get some Ottime. It really boils down to I just want more time to practice / ski deep pow without the gong show going on all around me and slaying said pow in 30 minutes. TJ hit it, at least around where I ski now. The wife really likes Tahoe. Maybe rent a season up there and I bribe you guys with weed and beer to show a jong around
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

9 hrs hours of driving, 1 carbbq, snow on the 14frwy, and freezing ur youknowwhatoff for 2+ hours waiting for the top to pop where all worth it when you score first chair on ch 23 after it's been closed for 4+ days and Mammoth gets 9 to 11 Feet of CApow! Single digits gave us untypically light snow that was effectively bottomless in the trees.

First tracks down Terry's, 1st chair on 23, first people down Wipe Outs and then Dave's just as they dropped the rope, with 2 completely untracked tail laps were a stellar way to take advantage of all the fresh pow! Only bummer was the dude who kicked off a cornice in Wazoo creating a slide that shut down 9 for the day.

What an epic Big Wednesday that was! @ Mammoth Mountain
    Last edited by comish; 02-08-2019 at 08:01 PM.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Mammoth 2018/19 - Queen of the Eastern Sierra

^nice!

@live2ski, there are many ski hills in the Tahoe area that do not get tracked up quickly during weekday storm cycles. My experience from 20-25 years ago was that mammoth would get tracked out much faster than the other nearby ski hill. when figuring out how to ski deep snow (skinny ski days), I found it more difficult in the deep heavy/wet snow when compared to deep dry snow because it’s slower and balance is trickier.

Damn Comish. Sounds pretty ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Skinny skis and 3ft of Sierra cement crud was some of the hardest skiing I’ve ever tried, needed to be a really strong skier to pull it off. Today’s skis make a hyuge difference and you can get sloppy without getting bucked too far in the back seats like the old days

Liv2ski, let’s do local BC tour tomorrow morning

Protests destroy stuff.

Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    Sounds good, except I am back at the beach now and am surfing in a few hours. Guess I will need to buy some touring bindings/skis again and find a group to tour with while in Mammoth down the road.

How’s the surf down there. We had a great day on Thursday and now it is back to storms. Snows good tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    How’s the surf down there. We had a great day on Thursday and now it is back to storms. Snows good tho.
    Thursday, as in this past Thursday? I was there. Moguls everywhere I looked.

Mammoth is so popular it’s prolly the only mountain that big that can be conpletely tracked out the day after a 5 day storm dumps 10 feet of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    Skinny skis and 3ft of Sierra cement crud was some of the hardest skiing I’ve ever tried, needed to be a really strong skier to pull it off. Today’s skis make a hyuge difference and you can get sloppy without getting bucked too far in the back seats like the old days

I agree that today’s ski’s are better than yester-year’s, but old farts on new skis still don’t make for great skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post
    I agree that today’s ski’s are better than yester-year’s, but old farts on new skis still don’t make for great skiers.
    Because that’s what it’s all about, right :P

Hope y’all are enjoying this next cycle!

I thought the snow at mammoth this week was a little weird. Surprising because it was so damn cold but it had a bit of a punchy feel. Definitely had to focus on staying centered and not overturn; not a gimme. OTOH, Today in Tahoe was hero.

I am living proof

Heading back today from laguna. 4 shifts of work left then skibumming til June. The Eastern Sierra objectives are coming full into focus with work removed from the equation. Keep the snow coming!

I am living proof
    There are some exceptional skiers young and old. One of my buddies is 63 and is pimping hard on his Moments.

There are some exceptional skiers young and old. One of my buddies is 63 and is pimping hard on his Moments.
    And he likely started skiing before he was 46 too