Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ah, my bad - you post admittedly made more sense with the photos

isn't that just excess sidewall being ground off making that line? They are hand built after all, so there is bound to be a tiny bit of difference between pairs.

Delams should cause a warranty replacement, especially if you can show them this photo, if issues arises later so I personally would not worry overly mouch about that. It might not be pretty, but I am guessing it has no functional importance is forgotten two turns later, and if not, grinding the rest to a level face could be as easy as returning them (ah ok, scrap the last statement, i would not go that to a brand new par either)

that is, if my assumption with what being the case is correct . I would not have minded, especially if you got them for a steal Even if it is a blem ski the warranty will remain the same, and they will be scratched before long anyway.

edit: just saw the first photo now too. For sure, if they did not notify you of the knick I would def return them or ask for a partial refund. Again, marks of that kind will probably come before time anyway, but coming with them "factory fresh and factory installed" should warrant a significantly lower price.

edit 2: or is it just some excess epoxy? If so, that can be removed fairly easily, but odd that Völkl would release such a pair into the wild. But again, if a factory blem the price should err on the side of nice.

Yep the first thing I noticed was the knick on the side. It's not some excess epoxy, it's actually a piece of topsheet cut and torn, 1cm long, 2mm wide. That can be fixed by cutting the excess material and sealing with epoxy I guess, but no they didn't notify me or anything, and the pair is supposed to be brand new.

Then I inspected the skis a bit more and thought it was kinda weird that there was no size / serial number / mounting point on the side, like on my other v werks.

This plus no "quality control passed" shiny silver sticker.

I think as you say it's a blem pair.

I got them for cheap but not for a steal (-50% / 500€).

About the warranty are you sure it will be covered if it's a blem pair ?
    I'm not sure they're allowed to sell a blem pair anyway.

ask them about the issues, then, if you want to keep them, ask them about the warranty. EU law should have you covered for at least the initial year regardless.

selling blem skis is not not allowed, but selling blem skis passing them off as standard skis is poor customer service at best, and def not in Völkl's best interest. I guess you could reaching out to them as well and ask them what was up. You never know, they might trade them in as well.

Since you seem to have both BMT109s and Katanas - how do you find that they compare/overlap? All the points that people mention for Katanas as negatives seems like positives to me - aka going where you point them. They are a bit wide for being a touring ski, but then again, if they are as chargy as everybody says they are, Katanas must be a ton of fun at only a slight weight penalty over BMT109s.

Actually I did not ski any of my Katanas yet, lol. Since I found 2 pairs for cheap I was planning to mount one alpine and keep the other one in case I wanted to mount some shift on them or just as a backup pair as like you I don't like the new graphics. Yes I have a ski buying problem

About the BMT 109 I have them in 176 (I'm quite light) and it's my favorite ski. Not too stiff, nice rebound, float is really good for the size.

The Katana 184 should be a bit better in crud since they're a bit stiffer (and longer), more stable.
    The BMT 109 I use them for pure touring plus some sidecountry.
    The Katanas I'm planning to use them for resort.

ah, ok - I see, I read it like you had already had the 2017s for a season Thanks anyway though.

And yeah, tell me about it (about ski buying problems)

So I have yet to remount my Katana V-Werks, but I just noticed that my full metal 198cm Katanas are similarly mounted comparatively far back as well so apparently it's a "Katana thing"? My 198cm Katana has less tail than my 191cm Mantra. I'm still going to mount the V-werks forward +2, but I'm not messing with the metal 198's because those things are just awesome.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Btw about my Katana V-Werks with no serial number and the small topsheet chip, I got another discount from the shop so I kept them.
    Volkl Germany told me that it's a pair of "test skis" and that's why they don't have any serial number, but I can keep them and ride them without issue and they're still warrantied. Not sure how they ended up on an online shop though.

Also they told me that v-werks / BMT don't lose their warranty if you mount a non marker binding INSIDE the template.

I mounted them at +2 with shifts (2 screws on 8 not fully inside the template, should be ok, not sure about the warranty though).

I have 3 days on them, like them a lot, better float than my previous 100Eight, more nimble, as good on hardpack.
    They seem a bit fragile though, time will tell. I almost broke the skin attachement on a rock.

About the 184 Katanas with Shifts vs the 176 BMT 109 with ATK raider 12, for me there is no real overlap, the Katanas at +- 2800g per ski + binding are for small tours from the lifts like 100 to 300m, the BMT are for longer tours at 2000g per ski + binding.

Didnt use the BMT 109 this season yet but the Katana feels more stable.

FWIW, I lifted once with a guy who mounted his 191 cm metal full rocker Katanas dead on in the ski center. My +2 mount on the same ski looked absurdly far back in comparison. The guy was really happy how his Katana skis. He did look quit credible, though, so I guess the Katanas might have a large sweet spot for a forward mount.
    Having said that I have to find a ski yet which delivers a better mix of maneuverability, stability, and versatility than the full rockered metal Katana.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    About the 184 Katanas with Shifts vs the 176 BMT 109 with ATK raider 12, for me there is no real overlap, the Katanas at +- 2800g per ski + binding are for small tours from the lifts like 100 to 300m, the BMT are for longer tours at 2000g per ski + binding.

Thanks! Katanas are high on the list for new skis next year / in the off season

Late to this thread, but had mine originally mounted last season at +1 with kingpins, and they felt a little too "turney" and didn't want to open up, so now this season I'm at +0 with Ion LT12s (snow packing issues on the kingpin heels and the remount resulted in a +0 mount). Only a few b/c runs on them, but they still feel very easy & fun to turn and the float was great on a 2' powder day.

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    The Katana's heavier build probably has a lot to do with it, but wonder how much the BMT109's more-forward midsole line (by 4cm) affects stability. 176 BMT109 is actually about 1cm longer than 177 Katana VW, and the BMT's binding mounting pad is 2cm forward of the Katana's pad.

If guys are mounting up to +2 from line on Katana, maybe it makes sense to mount -1 or so from line on BMT109 to be in roughly the same sweet spot.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 05-09-2019 at 12:24 AM.

Had mine at +1 on Kingpins. They seemed a little too turny in heavier spring powder when I first tried them out, but not really any float issues, great on hardpack and steep tracked-out bumps. When I switched to Ions, I went with +0 and that seemed to tone down the turniness (hope you can dig my technical terminology), but still do fine on hardpack and bumps. My main concern was float, so I'm pretty happy with +0.

184 cm Katanas, I'm 5'8" 165, expert skier, but I don't go yuuuge. This is a 50/50 ski... well maybe 30 on-piste/70 b/c.

FWIW i ended-up mounting +2 forward on Kingpins and very much like the results - no going back. I would describe the effect as not so much turnier, but more playful and less directional. At +0 they felt like they locked into a turn regardless of the turn shape/size/speed, but at +2 they're much easier to 'disengage' from the carve and schmear them. I'm (still) learning that I don't need to carve trenches at every turn.

191 cm V-Werks, 6'2" 220 lbs. Don't go huge, but typically moving fast from old habit. The V-werks are 95% off piste for me.

I went +1 on my 184 vwerks and last gen metal katanas and love it. Hojis are my go to and I found that they are a little more playful and loose feeling. Can be skied more upright and lead to more of a pivoty feel

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

How much did the +1 on the vwerks move them towards the feel of the hoji's? Close to, or just sort of in that direction? Seems that the vwerks can only get so playful?