Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone forward mount a Volkl V-Werk Katana at +1 or +1.5?

Looking for beta from anyone that mounted their V-Werk Katana forward of the factory line. I searched and found plenty of discussions of what binding to mount (mine are Kingpin), but not where to mount. I have the original model mounted on the factory line and feel that they are pretty far back.

I have a big foot so I can't go wild but thought that +1.5 cm might make them a bit more playful in situations?

Thanks in advance.
    Who cares how the crow flies

This topic is total skier preference, but here is my experience having skied a lot of Volkl over the years.

I seem to mount all my previous Volkl (Gotamas+1, Shiros+2, Confessions+2) and now Katanas at +2......

If you split the difference at +1.5.....I think you can’t go wrong. Drill it, and go rip.

i have no experience myself, but what i was told by the dealer prior to having my BMT109s drilled, was that they recommended going +2 to better drive the tips. I thanked them, but mounted them on the line Not Katana's, but still similar rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    This topic is total skier preference, but here is my experience having skied a lot of Volkl over the years.

I seem to mount all my previous Volkl (Gotamas+1, Shiros+2, Confessions+2) and now Katanas at +2......

If you split the difference at +1.5.....I think you can’t go wrong. Drill it, and go rip.
    Hey BC... just got some shiros and skied a few runs in kinda punchy pow with bindings mounted at plus 2...they kinda threw me backseat and it felt hard to get over the front of the ski...have you mounted further forward? Wondering if this would help with more ski love...couldn't really find a sweet spot.
    Master of mediocrity.

Thanks BC - interesting contrast as I've always mounted all of my Volkls on the line (metal Katanas, Mantras, BMT90, and going way back to Gotamas and Explosivs). The V-Werk Katanas just seem to be far back comparatively even when lined-up with my other skis so i'm going to remount and see
    Who cares how the crow flies

Sorry to hear that, hope you can get it dialed.

I’ve never gone further than +2 so I can’t comment there. I had the 193’s. Mounted/Tuned my own shit 1/3......always seem to be the “right” mount/tune...for east/west....

What size?...What bindings?

Did you get the Shiros new leftover stock from somewhere?.....or did u buy on here?...or CL/eBay, etc. If used, a tune issue?....make sure bases flat.....put a 1/2 or a 1/3 on them to really be able to crank them.

The collective will chime in and hopefully you can get it all figured out.

Katana mount point is stupid far back, loads of people mounting forward, also discussed on these boards. I think I mounted my 184 Vwerks katanas +1.5 , but I'd have to check. Def in front of the line. Love em there, great, versatile, powerful ski!

I think I mounted my 184’s at +1.

Mounted with Salomon MTN, maestrale boots, no problems driving the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Sorry to hear that, hope you can get it dialed.

I’ve never gone further than +2 so I can’t comment there. I had the 193’s. Mounted/Tuned my own shit 1/3......always seem to be the “right” mount/tune...for east/west....

What size?...What bindings?

Did you get the Shiros new leftover stock from somewhere?.....or did u buy on here?...or CL/eBay, etc. If used, a tune issue?....make sure bases flat.....put a 1/2 or a 1/3 on them to really be able to crank them.

The collective will chime in and hopefully you can get it all figured out.

Thanks B.C. sorry, shoulda included more details.

--184cm shiro
    --solly rental bindings...have lots of room to move fore/aft, just ran out of time to adjust mount point.
    --shiros were bought used; cast offs from Weigele Heliskiing rental fleet...def seen some use but not beat to oblivion.
    --checked with true bar before i bought em...bases are flat...recent stone grind and wax from Weigele's.
    --did a major detune of tips and minor detune full length of edges with panzer file. I don't like sharp skis.
    --skiing em with dynafit vulcan boots

In hindsight, i'm thinking it could be a binding ramp angle issue; I'm used to higher ramp dynafit vertical st's...will add stack height to heel for testing. (based on experience, a voile ski strap folded incrementally thicker and placed under boot heel works good for this purpose)
    Master of mediocrity.

+1.5 works great

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Anyone forward mount a Volkl V-Werk Katana at +1 or +1.5?

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Thanks B.C. sorry, shoulda included more details.

--184cm shiro
    --solly rental bindings...have lots of room to move fore/aft, just ran out of time to adjust mount point.
    --shiros were bought used; cast offs from Weigele Heliskiing rental fleet...def seen some use but not beat to oblivion.
    --checked with true bar before i bought em...bases are flat...recent stone grind and wax from Weigele's.
    --did a major detune of tips and minor detune full length of edges with panzer file. I don't like sharp skis.
    --skiing em with dynafit vulcan boots

In hindsight, i'm thinking it could be a binding ramp angle issue; I'm used to higher ramp dynafit vertical st's...will add stack height to heel for testing. (based on experience, a voile ski strap folded incrementally thicker and placed under boot heel works good for this purpose)
    Totally no need to apologize... I’m just an idiot that has skied lots of Volkls. I was just brainstorming some things that could be affecting your performance.

Sounds like base/tune is good to go......so take that out of equation.

I would start by just experimenting with those demos...and see if you can find the sweet spot by adjusting fore/aft. If you end up not liking those bindings...put on those Dynafits you have used and liked.....maybe it was just the binding interface. (Volkl not getting along with a Salomon.....lol)

Good luck...once you get dialed....you’ll like em I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    i have no experience myself, but what i was told by the dealer prior to having my BMT109s drilled, was that they recommended going +2 to better drive the tips. I thanked them, but mounted them on the line Not Katana's, but still similar rocker.
    Katana mount point is about -14 and the BMT 109 is about -10.

I personally wouldn’t go forward on the BMT, maybe even back, but the katana’s have loads of room to come forward without messing things up imo

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Katana mount point is about -14 and the BMT 109 is about -10.

I personally wouldn’t go forward on the BMT, maybe even back, but the katana’s have loads of room to come forward without messing things up imo
    Wops - good post - should've checked prior to posting! My bad

What I really dislike about the new Katanas are hope good they look. I loved the old ones and nearly bought a pair at 50% off brand new this summer, but resisted. The new ones though...

Very interesting points being raised though - I am learning a lot here! And yes, I lost a bit of faith in that dealer know.
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 11-22-2018 at 01:28 PM.

My 184’s are mounted on the line with Barons. They are fine there for me but occasionally feel a bit short.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I also ski mine on the line and like them. I tend to like back mounted skis but I am actually going to have to re mount my Katana’s at +1 ish due to hole overlap. I’ll update when I have got them on snow if I feel much difference.

+1?? A WHOLE centimeter?!?! Craziness! Lunacy!

Coming up next, 10 Secrets Volkl Doesn't Want You To Know

I had amy vwerks mounted with kingpins at +1, as well as my last gen metal katanas, and my HOJIs as well as my EHPs. I default to +1. I like the more upright feel, esp on the HOJIs. I think it makes them feel a bit lighter under feet and makes them super pivoty. Ive skied them on the line as well in demo for with griffons and think that they were still ripping.

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    amy vwerks...
    She sounds hot.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    She sounds hot.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app
    She sounds anorexic.

to piggy back on my introduction of BMTs - can anybody compare BMT109s vs Katanas in similar lengths? Intended application - soft snow touring gone charge for tze bottom.

I had a pair of BMT109s last year, but passed them on to raise some funds before I tried them more than two trips - so my time on them was really limited. I love BMT122s, but then again i seem to remember them being a bit stiffer than the 109s.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Just received a discounted 2018 Katana V Werks from a german shop.
    There is nothing written on the sidewall. Usually on v werks you get the size, the serial number, and the mounting point. At least that's how my BMT 109 / 94 and Katana 2017 are. Here nothing. And the sidewall material looks a bit weird.

Is it how the 2018 Katana is supposed to looks like ? Or is that some weird pair ?

Also they have a small topsheet damage ... And the tag says "Volkl Soposki 2017 - 0€"

I guess I'm going to return them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9fcoKVN.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	257484

Name:	PfPXN1m.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	257485

Name:	K50HGWt.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1,014.2 KB 
ID:	257486
    Last edited by stuntmanbo; 11-27-2018 at 02:01 PM.

i guess a photo would help (...), but then again, if you are in doubt, then you are not - and will return them.

that being said - besides the graphics 2017 and 2018 katanas are identical as far as i know. Why not just measure to the dimple on the 2017s and mark the 2018s yourself? Seems like an easy enough thing to do - especially if you are going to mount them yourself and you 2017s and 2018s are the same length.

Actually I had some pictures on the post but it seems it didnt worked, I edited my post maybe you can see the pictures now ?

Yes for the mounting I can measure it's not a problem.

I'm trying to figure if they sold me some kind of defective paire or a prototype or something like that. And if it's going to pose problems (early delam), or if I can ride them.

If it's ok maybe I'll try to negociate a discount if not I'll just return them.

Also there is no "quality control" shiny silver sticker on them.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    they recommended going +2 to better drive the tips.
    That is questionable advice, props for not following it.
    On season three with mine, mounted on the line, perfect in a broad range of conditions, I would not change a thing.

About the mounting points, My BMT 94 and 109 are mounted on the line and I like them like that and wouldn't mount forward. The Katana I'm planning to mount at +1.5 or +2 as it seems to be the consensus and as someone said, the BMT recommended line is at -10 and the Katana at -14 so it makes sense to mount forward.