Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Heated Ski Socks vs. Heated footbeds

Hello,
    I've been thinking of getting Hotronics heated footbeds for my boots but saw they also have heated socks now. This definitely appeals to me as I can use them with my ice climbing boots as well. But not sure how durable socks would be over time?

Does anyone have experience with the heated socks?

Those of you that have Hotronics or Sidas footbeds, how easy is it to swap out from boot to boot? I can see using them for skiing one day and then wanted to switch to my ice boots the next day.

thank you.

For skiing go with the footbeds. Heated socks are very bulky compared to thin ski socks and your feet will sweat like crazy.

Foot beds. No fookin way would I want a headed sock in my ski boots. The element would cause major issues.

My lady has tried both. She (and many others) has issues with severing the wire that connects the battery to the footbed. I think it is more of a problem if you have ski boots with a walk mode. She also lost a battery pack once.

She now has the Lenz socks, and she loves them. Yes they are a little bulky, but not too bad. They are stupid expensive but worked well and held up great for the one season of use so far. She does not get sweaty feet, but also does not in general. You can also control the heat settings on the battery pack or via your smartphone.

I have no experience with either, so just some observations.

the rule of 3 T's states that if its got transistors, tires or Tits ... sooner or later they will cause you trouble

So I just buy a display box of chemical toe warmer packs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You can buy heated socks controlled by your phone? Holy shit , what a world.

2nd the Lenz socks. I’ve used both the old versions with the heating element just under the toes and the new ones with the heating element wrapping around the toe cap. Not very bulky, works fine in LV-ish boots for my LV feet (I don’t ski plugs). For inbounds days, I usually just set it at the middle heating setting and leave it. Battery life on the 1800 battery packs is about 8hrs using it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    You can buy heated socks controlled by your phone? Holy shit , what a world.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

heated socks = usable in other boots (assuming they fit)

heated liners = only for sking, but dont change the fit of the boot much.

batteries are expensive for either, but DIY hacks exist,

intuitions and boot coves also work, and dont need re-charging

Another to consider: Thermacell ProFlex Heavy Duty Heated Footbed
    Control it with your smartphone!
    https://8kpeak.com/pages/heated-insoles

I’ve used heated footbeds before. I would say the biggest thing is that they don’t keep your feet warm but just stop them from getting too cold.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Recreationpro View Post
    Another to consider: Thermacell ProFlex Heavy Duty Heated Footbed
    Control it with your smartphone!
    https://8kpeak.com/pages/heated-insoles

remove it from the liner to re-charge?

Regarding the question about the ProFlex HD Heated Footbed: The footbed stays in the liner and you just pull out the battery pack in the footbed for recharging.

And FYI, IMO about this product (and I actually use it as well as Thermic and Hotronic products (but not heated sox - just the footbed types):
    Cons: If you already have a very tight fit/low volume liner, and your current footbed is very thin, then maybe not enough room for it. The big battery pack alternatives do last longer/more heat (but you can also address that with an extra HD battery pack to swap out at lunch for super cold days if your feet tend to get cold easy)
    Pros: Versatile- move to any of your other footwear. No battery pack to fall off. Less cost =very price effective, especially since you can move it to your other boots/footwear. Adjust with your smartphone. Developed/tested by some serious ski junkies: the Marolt brothers.

The 8KPeak.com folks have good info about these and again they are serious about their skiing.

heated footbeds are only going to work in the boots the footbeds are trimmed for. Ideally you should get an individual set of heating elements for each set of boots you have (and individual footbeds) and use the same battery packs across all sets.

If you want to use them across other footwear (non ski boots) socks are the better option. Again, get multiple pairs of socks and rotate battery packs.

For most people, heated footbeds can be interchanged with other footwear without a problem. For a few, that may not work well for them, but does work for most.

Does anyone know what the boot cover company with a zipper on it is called? Boot docs sucks because you cannot unbuckle on the lift

You wear the same size shoes as ski boots? Bullshit.
    If you’re able to swap your footbeds between ski boots and other footwear (exception: hockey skates) your ski boots are too big or your footbeds aren’t trimmed to fit your boots, and not doing their job properly, and your boots don’t fit.or the footbeds are just sliding around in your other footwear.

I've been using the Hottronic heaters now for four seasons, and would have for sure lost toes otherwise. The ones I use are the green pad that works with your existing (or custom) footbeds- requires some mods to footbed and liner, but doesn't affect performance. Buy two pairs of the heating pads and then swap batteries between pairs of snow boots, work boots, etc.

The clutch thing for ski boots to not lose batteries is getting these to attach the battery packs to power strap/boosters: Clips

Also using these in tandem with baby powder/corn starch on the feet to prevent sweating, and dry socks makes a huge difference.
    i shred the gnar

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Does anyone know what the boot cover company with a zipper on it is called? Boot docs sucks because you cannot unbuckle on the lift

I searched a few weeks ago and came up with nothing. Let me know if you find some?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I searched a few weeks ago and came up with nothing. Let me know if you find some?
    Boot Glove?
    i shred the gnar

Quote Originally Posted by skibum193 View Post
    Boot Glove?
    Looking for taller, with accress to buckles still

Quote Originally Posted by Recreationpro View Post
    Regarding the question about the ProFlex HD Heated Footbed: The footbed stays in the liner and you just pull out the battery pack in the footbed for recharging.

And FYI, IMO about this product (and I actually use it as well as Thermic and Hotronic products (but not heated sox - just the footbed types):
    Cons: If you already have a very tight fit/low volume liner, and your current footbed is very thin, then maybe not enough room for it. The big battery pack alternatives do last longer/more heat (but you can also address that with an extra HD battery pack to swap out at lunch for super cold days if your feet tend to get cold easy)
    Pros: Versatile- move to any of your other footwear. No battery pack to fall off. Less cost =very price effective, especially since you can move it to your other boots/footwear. Adjust with your smartphone. Developed/tested by some serious ski junkies: the Marolt brothers.

The 8KPeak.com folks have good info about these and again they are serious about their skiing.
    Intrigued.
    I thought I had seen it all awhile back, and then I heard about a heated ski-boot bag so I don't know shit.

How thick is the insole?
    Is it of uniform thickness?
    You leave the insole in the liner, but take the battery out of the insole? How does that work?

Is there enough material w/o heating elements around the edge so that one can trim the insole to fit?
    Buy a large and trim to medium?
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

A friend with circulation problems got the boot gloves for touring in interior BC. He cut a small hole in them so he could access the instep buckle. While easily the subject of much ridicule, he says they work and keep his feet warmer!

https://dryguy.com/product/Boot_Glove

I use chemical heater packs and boot gloves if its cold enough

stick the toe warmers on top of your toes

boot gloves get cut up so you gotta patch them every so often with aqua seal
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I decided to try some Lenz heated socks for a change. With my custom foot beds the hotronics never seemed to work well as the heating pad would always delam and come off. Found them from a place in Geremy for under $200 so not a bad price.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...ry_country=210