Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No one skis Gulmarg any more?

So what ever happened to Gulmarg as a place to ski? A few years ago everyone (well everyone here) was talking about it, and you’d have a few incredible TRs a year. Now - nothing.

Was it all hype that never materialized? Did we get old (and fuck did we) and give up on those sorts of trips? Security situation/frustrations with the infrastructure/avy deaths/little bit of all of it – just get too much?

I’m finally in a work situation where I might be able to make that sort of a trip happen, and it seems like it’s no longer the done thing… Something I’m missing?

One of my good friends and his girlfriend go out for the winter, every year. This year is no exception. They both board. As far as I know it's still as it ever was, though last year the snow was shite. Some of their snowfalls sound epic. Can ask him for more info if you want?

It's always my dream trip and I've been nearby in Kashmir not long ago, but in the summer. I go to India a lot, but I'm on an academic schedule so I'm usually there in the summer or over Christmas break. The snowpack doesn't usually start to get consistently good until late January most years apparently, so it's a bit tricky for me to make it.

The mountains are likely still there. If there is snow on them its probably still a rad place to ski. I'd go if the political situation is relatively stable.

Even without the lift running its worth it. I was there in 2007, the lift was broken down for weeks. We just toured to the top each day. Had the place to ourselves.

I've had the same thought: That place was the new hotness and then fell off the radar.

Several movies and TRs over the years told tale of a snowpack that was often weak, huge avalanches, and minimal avalanche control in the area. I can't imagine that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I've had the same thought: That place was the new hotness and then fell off the radar.

...tale of a snowpack that was often weak, huge avalanches, and minimal avalanche control in the area. I can't imagine that helps.
    I thought that was the attraction, wasn't it? That it was "raw". TBH it seems like a long way to go, for a relatively isolated, small area. Like go to Japan and have your pick of dozens of resorts scattered over a huge area. This place, one option.

It’s an interesting place.
    Having a corporal point an assault rifle at my head, as a Sargent frisked me, was kind of enlightening.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    People I know haven't returned because of the down days.

More consistent places out there.

seems like georgia is the new place everyone is into nowadays. they have a lift that runs really fast, in reverse..

Quote Originally Posted by Ale_capone View Post
    seems like georgia is the new place everyone is into nowadays. they have a lift that runs really fast, in reverse..

That aside I had an epic trip to Gudauri, Georgia in January 2016

It was deep, steep & cheap.

that was worth watching! ��

phenominal snow quality. liked that moment you looked legimatly kneck deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Ale_capone View Post
    ... kneck deep.
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Have a friend that went to Gulmarg last year. He said it was pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lets be realistic- the snow is a gamble. The terrain inside the ski area boundary isn't that great. If you have 4-6 weeks you can get some good snow in. Best turns are backcountry, touring and in some cases 4-6 hours of a drive away. With that said its worth the trip just for the culture- you will not be disappointed no matter what mother nature does but keep your expectations low on the ski side just in case.

Well I guess subtropical solar radiation and highly variable snowfall don't make a reliable powder heaven

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

any Gulmarg updates for this 19 Season ?

been a major blizzard a week there on the Forecasts ;

anyone completed a January trip there ?

Anyone been this season?

5 seasons at Gulmarg ('08-'12). Stopped going for four reasons: Russians, russians, russians, gentrification, hotels throwing waste in the forest and "guides" who had just learned how to ski/snowboard the previous season. Figured I was part of problems #3 and #4, and as someone who wrote TR's possibly reasons #1, #2, and #3.

Several major avalanches this season, one with two fatalities this past first week of February 2023.

No one skis Gulmarg any more?

Yikes. That’s terrible.

I was there in 2007 for a fatality of a western skier. You really are on you’re own there. At least back then. Zero faith in any real avalanche control. It was a spooky snowpack after storms. The wind did weird things to that ridge. I remember the day before the accident thinking man the snow is touchy here. Maybe because I was mostly a coastal skier back then but it was super reactive.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Good read in Ski Magazine

https://www.skimag.com/culture/on-th...ong-for-peace/

Would still love to go but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, plenty of places with more consistent conditions

Some inaccuracies in that article. Heli skiing for $120 per day? Hahahaha

Gulmarg is always sketchy. Was at Gulmarg in 2010 when a class 5 avalanche came off the mountain and killed a large number of army personnel in their base. Something like 15 people killed and another 60 or so rescued…,

Dug a pit that morning as we had a plan to descend to Babarisht below the village and had a 2.5 meter column fail on a single tap.

Shortly after we heard news of the avalanche and the impeding rescue operations headed to Gulmarg. Took about 6-7hours to get back up the road to town due to the convoy of Army and Redcross coming to help.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Gulmarg is always sketchy. Was at Gulmarg in 2010 when a class 5 avalanche came off the mountain and killed a large number of army personnel in their base. Something like 15 people killed and another 60 or so rescued…,

Dug a pit that morning as we had a plan to descend to Babarisht below the village and had a 2.5 meter column fail on a single tap.

Shortly after we heard news of the avalanche and the impeding rescue operations headed to Gulmarg. Took about 6-7hours to get back up the road to town due to the convoy of Army and Redcross coming to help.
    That was a wild storm cycle, we were sitting at the mid station base drinking tea listening to the freight trains rumble down the mountain all day, too afraid to even venture out into what was traditionally safe terrain given the historic potential. I have some buddies that have been going back each year for the past 5 yrs or so, but it isn't on my 'to return to' list right now. Other valleys in the region, absolutely, but Gulmarg itself has lost its luster for me.

However, when you can manage the risk, and you navigate the bureaucracy and the gondola opens, and you get a weather window, and everything lines up, it can be very good.

Way cool to see that Brian is still running the snow safety program there, absolute labor of love for him!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of -8941.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	474305
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy