Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Corona is still down? It went down midday Saturday, but I assumed they got it going later.

That mountain isn't worth skiing without it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It’s fixed now

FYI: Eldora has decided to modify the SOV parking fee rule to potentially include non-holiday weekdays with LESS than 10" of new snow -- like today when they've reported 7". Below is the new language:

"Eldora also may charge SOV fees on certain other days to be determined, as operationally necessary. If we anticipate heavy SOV arrivals on days other than the fee days required of us by Boulder County, we may decide, without advanced notice, to charge SOV fees in order to reduce SOV arrivals and manage traffic flow."

That last part, with my emphasis, makes a lot of sense...

wtf? I know that this was the point of your emphasis, but how does it reduce SOV arrivals if you impose it without notice? People should be writing to Eldora about this, because if it's not required by the county, that means they can change it back if they get enough shit.

And FYI, for anyone in this thread who skis Eldora regularly, we have a group text going for possible carpooling, so far it's me, tang, EWG, and JerkPorkins, PM one of us your digits if you want to get added.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

They should change the policy to any time school is cancelled, all vehicles will be charged $20. It's really just about the money. Picking on SOV is simply eco virtue signaling

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    They should change the policy to any time school is cancelled, all vehicles will be charged $20. It's really just about the money. Picking on SOV is simply eco virtue signaling
    Well, not entirely. The fee was required by Boulder County as part of the approval for construction of the new parking lot. And it's not just virtue signaling IMO, that revenue is used to fund an Eldora shuttle from the justice center on weekends/holidays, a shuttle that Eldora isn't required to run. Eldora also gives away RTD bus tickets on weekends/holidays. They are not required to do either of those things (and the SOV revenue doesn't come close to fully funding those things). Is it fair to call it "eco virtue signaling" if they are taking the revenue and rolling it into expenditures that actually do help?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    wtf? I know that this was the point of your emphasis, but how does it reduce SOV arrivals if you impose it without notice? People should be writing to Eldora about this, because if it's not required by the county, that means they can change it back if they get enough shit.
    Yea, I'm hoping they just didn't think through that statement before they posted it -- and that they'll rephrase it soon to make more sense.

The "good news" from today is that they didn't park out, even with the new snow and schools cancelled.

Did those 7 inches ALL blow away on almost all the runs not in the trees like the three inches did on MLK Day?

Now that Eldora has the 6 pack they should do what ABasin did and limit their engagement with the big passes. It was much more enjoyable skiing there before they got on Epic and then Ikon. They had enough traffic again to open Corona backup after years of it being shuttered but you could still ski right on the lifts and find fresh stashes in the glades for days after a storm.

Wed was kinda weird. Pretty legit 7”. Pretty big line up at first chair. But no corona line for two runs, then it just got huge. I think the CU and bvsd kids were more on a 930 eta schedule. Then it tracked out quick. Fun tho.
    I’ve got an Ecopass so took the 610am bus, brought a book and sat by the fire. The 810 bus I heard was maxed out.
    I don’t understand why they keep tinkering with the parking rules. They know all the patterns.

Anybody else see this…

https://denvergazette.com/news/court...46de68fc3.html

Pretty fucked up that leaving the scene is such a small penalty. Too bad there aren’t any other witnesses. Hard to believe you could hit someone hard enough to kill them without doing anything wrong other than leaving the scene.

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Anybody else see this…

https://denvergazette.com/news/court...46de68fc3.html

Pretty fucked up that leaving the scene is such a small penalty. Too bad there aren’t any other witnesses. Hard to believe you could hit someone hard enough to kill them without doing anything wrong other than leaving the scene.
    UPDATE: The verdict is in. Guilty as charged. Only 20 minutes of jury deliberation. The sentence is just a slap on the wrist.
    https://denvergazette.com/news/snowb...c3b4b051b.html

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    Hard to believe you could hit someone hard enough to kill them without doing anything wrong other than leaving the scene.
    This is the key:

"However, since no one saw Martinez snowboarding out of control, and he didn’t admit to being out of control, and investigators couldn’t determine if he was under the influence of alcohol or drugs, prosecutors couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Martinez was guilty of manslaughter, Deputy District Attorney Alison Brand wrote on April 20."

Without more evidence, we don't even know who was in the wrong for the collision.

If vehicles were involved, it would have been a felony regardless of who was at fault for the collision.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    Now that Eldora has the 6 pack they should do what ABasin did and limit their engagement with the big passes. It was much more enjoyable skiing there before they got on Epic and then Ikon. They had enough traffic again to open Corona backup after years of it being shuttered but you could still ski right on the lifts and find fresh stashes in the glades for days after a storm.
    I agree and would love for this to happen but unfortunately feel like it’s not in the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    This is the key:

"However, since no one saw Martinez snowboarding out of control, and he didn’t admit to being out of control, and investigators couldn’t determine if he was under the influence of alcohol or drugs, prosecutors couldn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Martinez was guilty of manslaughter, Deputy District Attorney Alison Brand wrote on April 20."

Without more evidence, we don't even know who was in the wrong for the collision.

If vehicles were involved, it would have been a felony regardless of who was at fault for the collision.
    If the county put a little more effort into this case the injuries should be able to show who the overtaking party was. That person bares the responsibility of the accident.

If the county put a little more effort into this case the injuries should be able to show who the overtaking party was. That person bares the responsibility of the accident.
    Why do you say that? Let's say the snowboarder is going down the mountain at a reasonable speed when the victim skier, who was stopped, suddenly traversed sideways rapidly 20 feet without looking uphill. The skier victim would have still most likely suffered the most serious injuries but the snowboarder would not have been the one responsible for the collision.

Or what if the snowboarder is snowboarding at a reasonable, controlled speed, but then lost their edge and slid into the skier? Accidentally sliding into someone, even if you end up killing them, doesn't make you guilty of felony manslaughter (so long as you are not acting recklessly).

Bottom line, without knowing the facts of the collision there is no way to conclusively say who is at fault based solely on who was most injured.

Note, the snowboarder is mostly likely liable civilly in this case, not that matters much.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Why do you say that? Let's say the snowboarder is going down the mountain at a reasonable speed when the victim skier, who was stopped, suddenly traversed sideways rapidly 20 feet without looking uphill. The skier victim would have still most likely suffered the most serious injuries but the snowboarder would not have been the one responsible for the collision.

Bottom line, without knowing the facts of the collision there is no way to conclusively say who is at fault based solely on who was most injured.
    Bullet point #2 https://law.justia.com/codes/colorad...tion-33-44-109

Violating that law does not make one guilty of felony manslaughter. It may make one civilly liable, which the snowboarder clearly is, but not manslaughter, which sends you to prison.

It wasn't until 2000 that the first person in CO history was found guilty of a criminal offense for recklessly plowing into someone on the slopes:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/skier-f...in-mans-death/

The article is unclear about the facts of that case (says skiing extremely fast in poor conditions) but I assume they had much stronger evidence of reckless skiing/snowboarding than the Eldora case, where they said they had no evidence of recklessness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230206_172117410~2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	446565

That Nathan Hall case was heard right after I moved to Colorado. It was considered to be a landmark case at the time although the jury decided on the lesser negligent homicide (90 days of incarceration) over reckless manslaughter that could have resulted in up to 6 years. Fucked up mess, he just got off a shift as a liftie at Vail and had a couple beers and some shake in his backpack. They estimated his speed at around 25 mph which doesn’t seem that bad, but he most have cold cocked the dude because he died at the scene. Reminds me of the case of the cyclist that killed the pedestrian in the crosswalk in San Francisco. Just a terrible impact.

Skied the afternoon at Eldora. Conditions were OK, not too crowded for a Friday, and the racing had already ended, but on the drive down the shelf road, I hit a clusterfuck. Eastbound traffic was backed up from the stop sign at 119, past the high school, and partway up the shelf road. Once I got onto 119, it was clear sailing. There was a cop parked by the high school, so maybe he had stopped someone earlier.

Be careful of that cop hiding at the high school. I got lucky one day when I was driving too fast though there and he pulled over the guy behind me.

Braving the clusterfuck today for the first time in a few weeks

This morning was beautiful. Glades were soft and skiing really well.