WTB - XS Hardtail for my son

my 10 year old is about to need a new mountain bike (yeah I know, wrong season but planning ahead for spring...). He's not into it as much as I'd like, so don't want to spend a ton of cash, but would like to to find something pretty light to make going uphill reasonable for him. He doesn't need rear suspension. He's just a hair under 5 feet tall, I think he needs an XS, or about 14" frame. Preferably 27.5" wheels but would also look at 26". Haven't fully decided on budget, but definitely under a thousand, maybe way under a thousand.... Would be preferable if someone had something around SLC/Park City to check out, but would consider having it shipped if it was the right thing and a good deal. Anyone have anything they are looking to unload?

nashbar is 30% extra (going ot of business sale) on 2017 and older stuff. Hunt around for new at that kind of discount

You'll want to skip the 27.5 wheel, that will bump you above a grand. Go back to 26 inch and you'll have much easier luck finding a XS on craigslist. I've sold 2 of my wife's bikes in that size. It is a small market.

Keep an eye on Spawn's website over the next few days, they typically do some kind of Black Friday sale. Decent odds the Yama Jama 26 will be under a G.

A friend of mine just built up a honzo 27.5+ pretty much like mine but not quite as pimpy that shes selling because because she doesnt like the geo... its a small, but im only 5'3" and I ride a medium.

Honzos are long and low.

Not sure is it would be good for a kid. The plus tires are super stable, confidence inspiring, traction for days and a little bit of cush.

The plus tires and steel frame are heavy, tho.

Correction. This is the perfect time to buy a bike. Buy your bikes in the fall/winter and skis in the spring/summer. Prices are better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

There is an Indy FAB in xs on eBay for under 900. Been watching it for the wife hut doubt I will buy it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292730130276

Thanks mntlion. Picked up a Breezer for my 12 year old daughter. 60%+ off. Crazy good deal

Quote Originally Posted by pollydog View Post
    Thanks mntlion. Picked up a Breezer for my 12 year old daughter. 60%+ off. Crazy good deal
    sweet

Thanks for the input. Definitely a few good deals on nashbar.. I don't think a + bike is ideal for him, but thanks anyways. If anyone else knows of a used bike for sale let me know. Thanks!

you can put non-plus tires on a plus bike?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    "Non-plussed" needs to become a phrase used in the bike world...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    And then your bottom bracket is too low. Had that problem on my wife's Scott. Sold it in 8 months. Bike companies don't always think their plans out completely before selling them.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    And then your bottom bracket is too low. Had that problem on my wife's Scott. Sold it in 8 months. Bike companies don't always think their plans out completely before selling them.
    Or maybe they do. They got you to buy 2 bikes in 8 months...

It depends on the frame.

Often you can make 27.5 into 26+ and 29 into 27.5+.

Some frames have changeable dropouts so you dont have the lower bottom braket issue, but depending on the tires you choose, the outer circumference of 27.5 and 26+ or 29 and 27.5+ arent that far off.

My honzo frame is designed for 29inch wheels but so many people were setting them up 27.5+ kona now has a 27.5+ steel frame.

The bottom bracket is on the lowside but its rad!

If you put a bigger fork on as many people do, that will raise the bottom bracket so its a lot of trade offs.

Chromag rootdown is designed to do both 27.5+ and 29
    Last edited by mtngirl79; 11-20-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Or maybe they do. They got you to buy 2 bikes in 8 months...
    Worth it to hear her say that plus size tires are stupid and unnecessarily slow. Lol

Did you try to put 27.5 tires on a 27.5+ bike? That would obviously make the bottom bracket really low. 29in wheels would have raised the bottom bracket about 4 or 5mm and likely worked fine. Many, most? 27.5+/29 frames are either designed to be interchangeable or work fine with either wheel size.

Worth it to hear her say that plus size tires are stupid and unnecessarily slow. Lol
    Interesting. My plus bike is fast. It consistantly rolls faster than my friends bikes on fireroads...

My experience pretty much matches this article, but I can see if you were mostly riding smooth, dry, non techical terrain plus tires would be kinda dumb...

https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/a...n-29ers-47047/

My answers to your questions are filled with industry insider information so I'll skip them. Enjoy your bike. The best one is the one you are on.

My answers to your questions are filled with industry insider information so I'll skip them. Enjoy your bike. The best one is the one you are on.
    Lol, What?